Dynadot

discuss Domain name rental

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

platey

Top Member
Impact
Domain name rental - is it first possible? And/or worth it?

Eg and who owns the backlinks and seo and google ranking the rental of a domain name gives the owner of the domain name after the rental period?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is why you include the option to buy.

Besides, would you refuse to rent the best location for a store in your town b/c you couldn't take your lease improvements to a new building? Get real.

Yes the domain has to be a rock-star. You wouldn't lease a crappy domain any more then you'd lease a store facing an alley.

in the uk there are many very old listed buildings eg even if a person owns them they can only be restored
to a certain specification eg origiinal condition at huge expense but they are usually in very sought after town centre locations where large retail chains want to have their stores in these locations and they have to agree to very strict renovation criteria etc but the profit generated by these stores being there outweighs any additional expense of restoration etc

sometimes location is everything to a store and the best domain is the best location and obviously doesnt come cheap

•••
That is why you include the option to buy.

Besides, would you refuse to rent the best location for a store in your town b/c you couldn't take your lease improvements to a new building? Get real.

you make a valid point and yes but you should be able to use it on your business material etc because after all it it is your rented business address - some businesses change premises once in a while and a domain is a business address and as such and should be used just like an actual address eg where a business can put their busines name or logo on the side of the business via a sign etc so long as that business returns the premises to the state they entered the building eg sign free the only difference with a domain name is that the business having rented the domain name will have left behind backlinks and seo etc

You guys are very narrow minded. First, you don't have the option to include an option to buy, that's up to the owner of the domain. Sure, you can ask for it or refuse to rent it without it, but it's the owners decision whether to include it.
Second, improving a building is way different...if you improve a rental, all you are out is the money for the improvements. If you lose the domain, you lose a main point of contact, possibly your reputation if a harmful site that people associate with you goes up, possibly lose customers to the new owner of the domain, lose the goodwill/reputation you built up, have people who find your old flyers/business cards visiting another businesses website, etc.
Third, think of it like this...Let's say I'm a dentist and I rent an office for my practice. If I move my office to a new location, I can easily put on the website and also tell people when they schedule an appointment that I am now located at a new address. In the unlikely event my client showed up at the old rental location, they would immediately realize it was not my office anymore. In contrast, if I lose the domain that is printed on flyers and business cards, people who find them looking for a dentist will go to the website...and find another dentists website instead! So I will now be losing my business to a competitor.
There is a big difference between changing rental space and losing a domain name.

•••
You guys are very narrow minded. First, you don't have the option to include an option to buy, that's up to the owner of the domain. Sure, you can ask for it or refuse to rent it without it, but it's the owners decision whether to include it.
Second, improving a building is way different...if you improve a rental, all you are out is the money for the improvements. If you lose the domain, you lose a main point of contact, possibly your reputation if a harmful site that people associate with you goes up, possibly lose customers to the new owner of the domain, lose the goodwill/reputation you built up, have people who find your old flyers/business cards visiting another businesses website, etc.
Third, think of it like this...Let's say I'm a dentist and I rent an office for my practice. If I move my office to a new location, I can easily put on the website and also tell people when they schedule an appointment that I am now located at a new address. In the unlikely event my client showed up at the old rental location, they would immediately realize it was not my office anymore. In contrast, if I lose the domain that is printed on flyers and business cards, people who find them looking for a dentist will go to the website...and find another dentists website instead! So I will now be losing my business to a competitor.
There is a big difference between changing rental space and losing a domain name.

which will eventually increase the value of good quality domain name sold prices

•••
which will eventually increase the value of good quality domain name sold prices

Which doesn't help the dentist renting his domain name.

•••
•••
Which doesn't help the dentist renting his domain name.

if the domain name is of high quality eg exact match eg dentist domain it would encourage long term rental

•••
The lessee gets customers at a cost saving. Normally a fraction of what it would cost using adwords.

The lessor earns more money than parking, improves their domain authority and increases the opportunity and price of a sale.

To biggie's point, if you search for domain lease, you'll find a log of blogs talking about but very few opportunities.

Last edited:
•••
•••
there are ZERO reasons for a developer to lease a domain if he doesn't have the certainty that he can buy it at some point (at a price agreed upon before he starts developing).

•••
i think most people who sell domains are open to renting it too.
usually the terms are straightforward.. and you just point yoru domain to where the person renting tells you to...

pay as you go type of deal
pay once per month
you stop paying, the domain stops pointing to your site
and you get option to buy at any time if you want to of course.
of course the months you paid to rent are not substrated from the buy price, cause this is not rent to own scenario.
Agree with you @alcy

•••
there are ZERO reasons for a developer to lease a domain if he doesn't have the certainty that he can buy it at some point (at a price agreed upon before he starts developing).

yep, domain leasing is my wet dream but if you try to put yourself in the shoes of a domain developer you will see that is hard to find a reason to do this ... maybe for a ultra premium com ... maybe.

off-topic: have you noticed that if you search for ricks blog the no. 1 result is the guy who has the .biz and "our" rick is no. 2 with his .com? isn't that funny as hell? :)

•••
I do let some of my domains to be used for free to people who want to have an easier start in developing. I do give them hosting too. As payment I always ask for a few links to be added somewhere in the homepage.

•••
"Rent2Own.domains" is for sale.

•••
I think the big danger in renting is the trashing of the name. It could take a while to recover if the name is used by a spammer, terrorist or other promoter of illegal activities.

•••
Other option might be, don't give the domain till he or she has completed the price arrangement.

•••
If the buyer want a great name and can't afford; another option would be "LayAway.domains"

•••
Don't understand about this, actually we're renting domains from registrar, and we need to pay renewal fee yearly. Is this right?

•••
Don't understand about this, actually we're renting domains from registrar, and we need to pay renewal fee yearly. Is this right?

Yes, but you can "sub-let" the name, or a sub-domain.

•••
@robepik offers at Epik.

Have not used the service.

•••
has anyone ever leased out a domain for awhile and then after the lease was finished found the domain then had a bunch of traffic continue visiting the domain? Seems like the possible traffic accumulation alone might be a good reason to lease domains at a cheap rate, along with getting paid monthly while holding the domain.

This is a very good point and is the reason that I would NEVER rent a name. I could make the site popular and all the while the domain belongs to someone else. Imagine you were renting a domain and the site became a viral hit?

I wouldn't imagine there are many people who rent names. Suppose someone rented a name then spammed from it, there goes the reputation.

Last edited:
•••
This is a very good point and is the reason that I would NEVER rent a name. ...

I wouldn't imagine there are many people who rent names. Supposed someone rented a name then spammed from it, there goes the reputation.

So, if you sold cars and had a chance to lease carsforsale.com or cardealer.com, you'd pass b/c you're afraid the domain would become a viral hit. Right.

When you lease a name, you sign a contract that specifies what you can and cant do with it. Just like when you lease a store or any commercial building.

A legit business has no incentive to trash a domain name they're using to market a service, product or event.

•••
So, if you sold cars and had a chance to lease carsforsale.com or cardealer.com, you'd pass b/c you're afraid the domain would become a viral hit.

If it was a very good name and very well known, then the rental would be very expensive and would be just the same as advertising on such a very good well-known site.

If it wasn't a good name or not well known, it would be pointless to rent it anyway, and in that case you could only make it more valuable by using it, to the owner's gain.

If a name is very good and very well known then it will already be operating a site and will not be for rent. So rent only applies to names that aren't very good, and I certainly wouldn't rent one when all you can do is add value to it for the owner who then puts a site up on it him/herself.

To answer your question, I would advertise on the sites as they wouldn't be availabe for rent.

•••
If it was a very good name and very well known, then the rental would be very expensive and would be just the same as advertising on such a very good well-known site...

It wouldn't be the same b/c YOU would have full control of content. It's an exclusive. You're argument is prejudiced by ignorance.

If you own real estate in a prime location, huge traffic, you'll never have trouble finding companies happy to pay a premium to lease your property. Good luck renting that store just two left turns away though.

As a domain owner, when I park my name, I'm lending it to the parking company who gives me a share of the advertising revenue as an incentive.

When I find a company interested in leasing a domain name from me, I make more money eliminating two brokers, the parking company and the advertising company. The lessee may also saves money on advertising.

I also increase the probability of a full-value sale.

•••
To answer your question, I would advertise on the sites as they wouldn't be availabe for rent.

I've leased several exact match product domains.

I'm a domain investor, website developer. I'm not in the business of selling high-margin, deliverable products.

•••
You're argument is prejudiced by ignorance.

I beg your pardon. You want to trade insults?

Moderator, how does one report such abuse?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back