IT.COM

discuss Domain name rental

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

platey

Top Member
Impact
Domain name rental - is it first possible? And/or worth it?

Eg and who owns the backlinks and seo and google ranking the rental of a domain name gives the owner of the domain name after the rental period?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I beg your pardon. You want to trade insults?

Moderator, how does one report such abuse?

We're adults discussing business. Pointing to the un-varnished truth isn't abuse.

If you have a better argument, make it.

•••
We're adults discussing business. Pointing to the un-varnished truth isn't abuse.

If you have a better argument, make it.

You are a disgrace.

•••
•••
You are a disgrace.

Why I used the words ignorant and prejudiced. Your prejudging a legitimate business opportunity based on fear and lack of knowledge.

It goes without saying, no-one is going to lease a bad domain. You've made many assumptions that aren't accurate.

Peace.

•••
Why I used the words ignorant and prejudiced. Your prejudging a legitimate business opportunity based on fear and lack of knowledge.

Peace.

Lack of knowledge? I sold my first name in 2000 for $8,000. I currently have $88,000 next to my name on Flippa. I've got enough knowledge.

Peace to you too.

•••
To summarize why leasing a domain is a good opportunity:

Domain owner:
  • Makes more money then parking
  • Increase the probability of a full-value sale
  • No development, customer service, shipping, inventory cost, etc.
Business owner:
  • Good alternative to PPC advertising
  • Increased brand authority
  • Opportunity to test customer acquisition cost before a purchase
Risk can be managed with a contract.

•••
Lack of knowledge? I sold my first name in 2000 for $8,000. I currently have $88,000 next to my name on Flippa. I've got enough knowledge.

Peace to you too.

You're a good developer and obviously successful. I've leased several domains and plan to continue.

Last edited:
•••
what if the person who rent, using your domain for blackhat seo, or something that harm domain,, how to preventing this?
Black hat SEO can be done with any regfee domain, no need to buy or rent a domain from somebody else. I don't think there is such a big risk.
In general people have more respect for stuff when they pay for it.

you make a valid point and yes but you should be able to use it on your business material etc because after all it it is your rented business address - some businesses change premises once in a while and a domain is a business address and as such and should be used just like an actual address eg where a business can put their busines name or logo on the side of the business via a sign etc so long as that business returns the premises to the state they entered the building eg sign free the only difference with a domain name is that the business having rented the domain name will have left behind backlinks and seo etc
Your domain name is your brand, your identity. So it does not make sense to rent your own brand (*), at least in the long term. The aim must be to purchase the domain name, with a few exceptions like time-sensitive campaigns or leasing high-traffic domains to boost traffic to your site.
A business can change address and even relocate abroad and still retain its identity. A domain name is not easily replaced.

There is at least one downside for the domain owner: the domain name is tied up for the duration of the lease. If you get a nice purchase offer in the meantime you cannot accept it right away. You risk losing a good sale.

(*) unless you are using multiple domains to drive customers to your site.

•••
Sometimes when potential buyers did not want to pay my quoted price I offered a monthly lease option. The reality is most end users view a domain purchase as a $25 or less item. But businesses do spend serious money on other business expenses. Until end users view domains as brands which are useful for promoting their business' products and services renting is not going to be a common situation.

•••
Is there a list somewhere of all the Domain Rental Services?

•••
Why wouldn't you want to lease your domain? If you're in the domain business, this is one of your revenue streams. If you have an opportunity to lease, you take it. I don't see why anyone turn down an opportunity.

Just like leasing an apartment, you sign a contract. And contract should state that the domain cannot be used for such activities (i.e. spamming, illegal stuff, etc. etc.)

•••
If we are talking about awsome name, I mean a name that unique and rare from the rest; then rent, lease or layaway is a good rout. Keep in mind, that this kind of domain name is not going to be cheap.

•••
Why wouldn't you want to lease your domain?

I think if somone wants to lease your name you should bite their hand off. It's a win-win situation for the domain owner.

That said, you would need to be mental to lease a domain. It's a completely crazy and nonsensical concept. For it to have any value the domain would need to be well known, in which case you would just advertise on the site and not take it over and completely change the content (because the owner wouldn't let you), then the next renter comes along and completely changes the content, and all the while this is a popular domain that's worth renting???

What happens to people who had used the site and liked it, then come along later and there's a completely new site there? What if no-one is currently renting it, what content does it show?? Time to behave, folks.

If it's not a well known established name, then why lease it? Buy it for the little money it's worth.

•••
If it's not a well known established name, then why lease it? Buy it for the little money it's worth.

1) Direct Navigation = conversions
2) Better ROI then PPC
3) SEO

•••
Imagine if you will..

Jane, a women selling widgets, paying 20K a month for PPC advertising split between FB, G and Bing.

Her average CAC was $450. Margins were good and there was plenty of profit to cover operating cost and make a good living.

Then, growth slowed, PPC cost were rising. Even if she wanted to buy more PPC ads, people were becoming ad blind. Some even started using an evil app called "ad blocker"....

Joe, an insightful domain investor, purchased widgets.com years ago. Even thought he appreciated the income shared by the not so benevolent parking company and even less benevolent Google.. He always felt he was missing out on something.

Then one day this lucky fellow met a women selling widgets. They quickly recognized opportunity knocking and struck a deal.

Joe relied on the income from widgets.com and didn't want to sell his wonderful domain so he LEASED the name to Jane.

Jane a shrewd business women, demanded "first rights" to buy widgets.com, using a mathematical formula to calculate the price, if Joe decided to sell.

Joe agreed, in exchange, the price of the lease would increase every year based on a similar mathematical formula.

Jane sold many widgets. She was amazed that people would just type-in the domain name, find a widget and BUY IT! CAC was lower then ever.

Joe threw a big party when he got his first check because he made 25X more money!

The end.

P.S. Joe and Jane laughed at the people who said they were crazy and it would never work.

Last edited:
•••
Keep in mind, that this kind of domain name is not going to be cheap.

Leasing opportunities are rare. You don't need a million dollar domain, just a one with type-in traffic related to your product.

Last edited:
•••
The thing is, how many people are willing to rent a domain ? Much fewer than those willing to actually buy a domain. It's a rare scenario that can work in specific but infrequent situations. A true lease (vs domain acquisition in installments) is rare.
It can make sense to lease a domain for the traffic, but it's hard to value the traffic before it's been tested and the conversion rate is known right ?

•••
If a domain has been parked, you can calc the worth based on click through rate and earnings per click.

When a website becomes authoritative for a product, it can improve the SERPS for another website. There are a lot of moving parts.

People who say only a great domain would be worth leasing.. well duh. Who would want to lease / rent a domain without type-in traffic.

The assumption that there are no domains worth leasing is asinine.

•••
Leasing opportunities are rare. You don't need a million dollar domain, just a one with type-in traffic related to your product.
Yes, you don't need a $million domain, but you need a unique domain to get attention.

•••
Imagine if you will..

Jane, a women selling widgets, paying 20K a month for PPC advertising split between FB, G and Bing.

Her average CAC was $450. Margins were good and there was plenty of profit to cover operating cost and make a good living.

Then, growth slowed, PPC cost were rising. Even if she wanted to buy more PPC ads, people were becoming ad blind. Some even started using an evil app called "ad blocker"....

Joe, an insightful domain investor, purchased widgets.com years ago. Even thought he appreciated the income shared by the not so benevolent parking company and even less benevolent Google.. He always felt he was missing out on something.

Then one day this lucky fellow met a women selling widgets. They quickly recognized opportunity knocking and struck a deal.

Joe relied on the income from widgets.com and didn't want to sell his wonderful domain so he LEASED the name to Jane.

Jane a shrewd business women, demanded "first rights" to buy widgets.com, using a mathematical formula to calculate the price, if Joe decided to sell.

Joe agreed, in exchange, the price of the lease would increase every year based on a similar mathematical formula.

Jane sold many widgets. She was amazed that people would just type-in the domain name, find a widget and BUY IT! CAC was lower then ever.

Joe threw a big party when he got his first check because he made 25X more money!

The end.

P.S. Joe and Jane laughed at the people who said they were crazy and it would never work.
Everything is possible.

•••
Rent2own and Layaway domain would be good. Renting and leasing domain itself, for me is not good.

•••
any idea about where and how can we give our domains on rent.

•••
any idea about where and how can we give our domains on rent.
Epik.com has the option, but you must have the domains there. (Its a great registrar, though.)

•••
thank you very much for your reply bro

•••
If you look at the customer who rents domains or requests others rent out names you will find there is already problems eg: banned from selling and other platforms. All just encourages problems. Have a fall out they spam the name still yours etc. Sure there are a legit people trying to rent names but I see trouble with the customer.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back