Dynadot

discuss Domain name rental

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

platey

Top Member
Impact
Domain name rental - is it first possible? And/or worth it?

Eg and who owns the backlinks and seo and google ranking the rental of a domain name gives the owner of the domain name after the rental period?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i think most people who sell domains are open to renting it too.
usually the terms are straightforward.. and you just point yoru domain to where the person renting tells you to...

pay as you go type of deal
pay once per month
you stop paying, the domain stops pointing to your site
and you get option to buy at any time if you want to of course.
of course the months you paid to rent are not substrated from the buy price, cause this is not rent to own scenario.

•••
people dont realize your renting the domain name now as is you pay yearly.

•••
has anyone ever leased out a domain for awhile and then after the lease was finished found the domain then had a bunch of traffic continue visiting the domain? Seems like the possible traffic accumulation alone might be a good reason to lease domains at a cheap rate, along with getting paid monthly while holding the domain.

Sure, it's a great idea for the owner. BUT people, especially business people, aren't idiots. Very few people would even consider renting a domain, knowing that all of the promotion they put out, all of the traffic they get, etc. will all be lost as soon as the rental ends. You would need an AMAZING domain to find someone willing to rent...because in most cases, it's far better to hand register a crap domain and promote it, publish it, keep the traffic and own it indefinitely without expensive monthly fees.

•••
About a dozen-ish years ago we offered several niche names, very nice niche market names for rent.

Our terms were clear and detailed and the rental amount in the $50. - $95. per mo range.

The Buy prices were in the 3500 - 10000 range.

The " renter " could try out the names and see if their respective traffic/sales etc increased.

IMO if ever again I decided to " rent a name" I would insist on at least a six month minimum rental period to give the name proper point time to get established for the renter's site and to minimize my time/effort that goes into the rental agreement, emails, etc.

•••
I've leased four domains / websites. Normally a one year contract with an automatic renewal at .0X% increase. All four websites were automotive related.

One company demanded a three year lease. It didn't work out and I let them out of the lease early. We still do business.

Only one name became a purchase. I gave up a lot of money on the purchase.

My average lease profit was about $2.5k I don't currently have any domains leased but I have a couple of websites still up if someone wanted to see them.

I got started leasing domains after I leased a name I couldn't afford to buy. I ended up buying the name for 2.5k if remember right. I still use the same contract I was given for that lease.

Last edited:
•••
Who says you have the option to buy? ... Any traffic you bring to the domain is gone after the rental ends. Etc.

That is why you include the option to buy.

Besides, would you refuse to rent the best location for a store in your town b/c you couldn't take your lease improvements to a new building? Get real.

Yes the domain has to be a rock-star. You wouldn't lease a crappy domain any more then you'd lease a store facing an alley.

•••
Hi

domain name rental is rare, in that some may "pay rent" while testing the domain for a project or to verify the stats on their server, if they are considering purchasing your name based on "claimed" traffic..

others may pay rent, when it's for an exclusive short term period.

but in general, most who "pay rent" are doing so within a "rent to own or lease to own" type of deal, where they either pay a "down payment" and/or "monthly payments" on a fixed schedule, until the agreed amount is paid in full.

in the interest of the owner, lease deals can include any protective provisions, late fee's, compounded interest, etc.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/lease-to-own-contract-via-escrow-or-others.918851/#post-5308837

https://www.namepros.com/threads/renting-domains.957495/#post-5616323

https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-leasing-pitfalls.863713/#post-4897370

imo....

•••
there are ZERO reasons for a developer to lease a domain if he doesn't have the certainty that he can buy it at some point (at a price agreed upon before he starts developing).

•••
great info as i own a couple of category and profession domain names in .co.uk with plenty of competition in these sectors etc and what you say makes sense i just never thought about it before and the domain name never gets old it just becomes more valuable like actual property but with domain name rental etc those renting a good quality domain name are actually paying the owner of the domain name to make the owner of the domain name , domain name more valuable

•••
Rental or lease would be more like when you rent property. they still own it you just use it for specified time.

•••
has anyone ever leased out a domain for awhile and then after the lease was finished found the domain then had a bunch of traffic continue visiting the domain? Seems like the possible traffic accumulation alone might be a good reason to lease domains at a cheap rate, along with getting paid monthly while holding the domain.

•••

This is a very good point and is the reason that I would NEVER rent a name. I could make the site popular and all the while the domain belongs to someone else. Imagine you were renting a domain and the site became a viral hit?

I wouldn't imagine there are many people who rent names. Suppose someone rented a name then spammed from it, there goes the reputation.

Last edited:
•••
what if the person who rent, using your domain for blackhat seo, or something that harm domain,, how to preventing this?
Black hat SEO can be done with any regfee domain, no need to buy or rent a domain from somebody else. I don't think there is such a big risk.
In general people have more respect for stuff when they pay for it.

you make a valid point and yes but you should be able to use it on your business material etc because after all it it is your rented business address - some businesses change premises once in a while and a domain is a business address and as such and should be used just like an actual address eg where a business can put their busines name or logo on the side of the business via a sign etc so long as that business returns the premises to the state they entered the building eg sign free the only difference with a domain name is that the business having rented the domain name will have left behind backlinks and seo etc
Your domain name is your brand, your identity. So it does not make sense to rent your own brand (*), at least in the long term. The aim must be to purchase the domain name, with a few exceptions like time-sensitive campaigns or leasing high-traffic domains to boost traffic to your site.
A business can change address and even relocate abroad and still retain its identity. A domain name is not easily replaced.

There is at least one downside for the domain owner: the domain name is tied up for the duration of the lease. If you get a nice purchase offer in the meantime you cannot accept it right away. You risk losing a good sale.

(*) unless you are using multiple domains to drive customers to your site.

•••
Imagine if you will..

Jane, a women selling widgets, paying 20K a month for PPC advertising split between FB, G and Bing.

Her average CAC was $450. Margins were good and there was plenty of profit to cover operating cost and make a good living.

Then, growth slowed, PPC cost were rising. Even if she wanted to buy more PPC ads, people were becoming ad blind. Some even started using an evil app called "ad blocker"....

Joe, an insightful domain investor, purchased widgets.com years ago. Even thought he appreciated the income shared by the not so benevolent parking company and even less benevolent Google.. He always felt he was missing out on something.

Then one day this lucky fellow met a women selling widgets. They quickly recognized opportunity knocking and struck a deal.

Joe relied on the income from widgets.com and didn't want to sell his wonderful domain so he LEASED the name to Jane.

Jane a shrewd business women, demanded "first rights" to buy widgets.com, using a mathematical formula to calculate the price, if Joe decided to sell.

Joe agreed, in exchange, the price of the lease would increase every year based on a similar mathematical formula.

Jane sold many widgets. She was amazed that people would just type-in the domain name, find a widget and BUY IT! CAC was lower then ever.

Joe threw a big party when he got his first check because he made 25X more money!

The end.

P.S. Joe and Jane laughed at the people who said they were crazy and it would never work.

Last edited:
•••
Nice idea building its future income value while making a few dollars.

•••
what if the person who rent, using your domain for blackhat seo, or something that harm domain,, how to preventing this?

•••
to hand register a crap domain and promote it, publish it, keep the traffic and own it indefinitely without expensive monthly fees.

If a name has direct navigation traffic, you can count on about 100x more traffic with a good website. It can be very cost effective way to generate leads / sell products.

•••
I Need some advices about This...

Find an exact match domain with type-in traffic for a product with good margins.

I paid over $900, $2,000 for two of my better domains back in 2005 ~ 2008. Another was hand registered for $15 and I bought one for $59 at namejet or godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
That is why you include the option to buy.

Besides, would you refuse to rent the best location for a store in your town b/c you couldn't take your lease improvements to a new building? Get real.

you make a valid point and yes but you should be able to use it on your business material etc because after all it it is your rented business address - some businesses change premises once in a while and a domain is a business address and as such and should be used just like an actual address eg where a business can put their busines name or logo on the side of the business via a sign etc so long as that business returns the premises to the state they entered the building eg sign free the only difference with a domain name is that the business having rented the domain name will have left behind backlinks and seo etc

You guys are very narrow minded. First, you don't have the option to include an option to buy, that's up to the owner of the domain. Sure, you can ask for it or refuse to rent it without it, but it's the owners decision whether to include it.
Second, improving a building is way different...if you improve a rental, all you are out is the money for the improvements. If you lose the domain, you lose a main point of contact, possibly your reputation if a harmful site that people associate with you goes up, possibly lose customers to the new owner of the domain, lose the goodwill/reputation you built up, have people who find your old flyers/business cards visiting another businesses website, etc.
Third, think of it like this...Let's say I'm a dentist and I rent an office for my practice. If I move my office to a new location, I can easily put on the website and also tell people when they schedule an appointment that I am now located at a new address. In the unlikely event my client showed up at the old rental location, they would immediately realize it was not my office anymore. In contrast, if I lose the domain that is printed on flyers and business cards, people who find them looking for a dentist will go to the website...and find another dentists website instead! So I will now be losing my business to a competitor.
There is a big difference between changing rental space and losing a domain name.

•••
If it was a very good name and very well known, then the rental would be very expensive and would be just the same as advertising on such a very good well-known site...

It wouldn't be the same b/c YOU would have full control of content. It's an exclusive. You're argument is prejudiced by ignorance.

If you own real estate in a prime location, huge traffic, you'll never have trouble finding companies happy to pay a premium to lease your property. Good luck renting that store just two left turns away though.

As a domain owner, when I park my name, I'm lending it to the parking company who gives me a share of the advertising revenue as an incentive.

When I find a company interested in leasing a domain name from me, I make more money eliminating two brokers, the parking company and the advertising company. The lessee may also saves money on advertising.

I also increase the probability of a full-value sale.

•••
You're argument is prejudiced by ignorance.

I beg your pardon. You want to trade insults?

Moderator, how does one report such abuse?

•••
Lack of knowledge? I sold my first name in 2000 for $8,000. I currently have $88,000 next to my name on Flippa. I've got enough knowledge.

Peace to you too.

You're a good developer and obviously successful. I've leased several domains and plan to continue.

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes when potential buyers did not want to pay my quoted price I offered a monthly lease option. The reality is most end users view a domain purchase as a $25 or less item. But businesses do spend serious money on other business expenses. Until end users view domains as brands which are useful for promoting their business' products and services renting is not going to be a common situation.

•••
Why wouldn't you want to lease your domain? If you're in the domain business, this is one of your revenue streams. If you have an opportunity to lease, you take it. I don't see why anyone turn down an opportunity.

Just like leasing an apartment, you sign a contract. And contract should state that the domain cannot be used for such activities (i.e. spamming, illegal stuff, etc. etc.)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back