Dynadot

discuss Domain name rental

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

platey

Top Member
Impact
Domain name rental - is it first possible? And/or worth it?

Eg and who owns the backlinks and seo and google ranking the rental of a domain name gives the owner of the domain name after the rental period?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i think most people who sell domains are open to renting it too.
usually the terms are straightforward.. and you just point yoru domain to where the person renting tells you to...

pay as you go type of deal
pay once per month
you stop paying, the domain stops pointing to your site
and you get option to buy at any time if you want to of course.
of course the months you paid to rent are not substrated from the buy price, cause this is not rent to own scenario.

•••
great info as i own a couple of category and profession domain names in .co.uk with plenty of competition in these sectors etc and what you say makes sense i just never thought about it before and the domain name never gets old it just becomes more valuable like actual property but with domain name rental etc those renting a good quality domain name are actually paying the owner of the domain name to make the owner of the domain name , domain name more valuable

•••
Rental or lease would be more like when you rent property. they still own it you just use it for specified time.

•••
About a dozen-ish years ago we offered several niche names, very nice niche market names for rent.

Our terms were clear and detailed and the rental amount in the $50. - $95. per mo range.

The Buy prices were in the 3500 - 10000 range.

The " renter " could try out the names and see if their respective traffic/sales etc increased.

IMO if ever again I decided to " rent a name" I would insist on at least a six month minimum rental period to give the name proper point time to get established for the renter's site and to minimize my time/effort that goes into the rental agreement, emails, etc.

•••
people dont realize your renting the domain name now as is you pay yearly.

•••
has anyone ever leased out a domain for awhile and then after the lease was finished found the domain then had a bunch of traffic continue visiting the domain? Seems like the possible traffic accumulation alone might be a good reason to lease domains at a cheap rate, along with getting paid monthly while holding the domain.

•••
has anyone ever leased out a domain for awhile and then after the lease was finished found the domain then had a bunch of traffic continue visiting the domain? Seems like the possible traffic accumulation alone might be a good reason to lease domains at a cheap rate, along with getting paid monthly while holding the domain.
Nice idea building its future income value while making a few dollars.

•••

Sure, it's a great idea for the owner. BUT people, especially business people, aren't idiots. Very few people would even consider renting a domain, knowing that all of the promotion they put out, all of the traffic they get, etc. will all be lost as soon as the rental ends. You would need an AMAZING domain to find someone willing to rent...because in most cases, it's far better to hand register a crap domain and promote it, publish it, keep the traffic and own it indefinitely without expensive monthly fees.

•••
what if the person who rent, using your domain for blackhat seo, or something that harm domain,, how to preventing this?

•••
I've leased four domains / websites. Normally a one year contract with an automatic renewal at .0X% increase. All four websites were automotive related.

One company demanded a three year lease. It didn't work out and I let them out of the lease early. We still do business.

Only one name became a purchase. I gave up a lot of money on the purchase.

My average lease profit was about $2.5k I don't currently have any domains leased but I have a couple of websites still up if someone wanted to see them.

I got started leasing domains after I leased a name I couldn't afford to buy. I ended up buying the name for 2.5k if remember right. I still use the same contract I was given for that lease.

Last edited:
•••
to hand register a crap domain and promote it, publish it, keep the traffic and own it indefinitely without expensive monthly fees.

If a name has direct navigation traffic, you can count on about 100x more traffic with a good website. It can be very cost effective way to generate leads / sell products.

•••
I Need some advices about This...

•••
I Need some advices about This...

Find an exact match domain with type-in traffic for a product with good margins.

I paid over $900, $2,000 for two of my better domains back in 2005 ~ 2008. Another was hand registered for $15 and I bought one for $59 at namejet or godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
I Have One related a food and other related a trips

•••
If a name has direct navigation traffic, you can count on about 100x more traffic with a good website. It can be very cost effective way to generate leads / sell products.

Yes, but again, that's assuming you have a GREAT domain that gets enough type-in traffic to justify all of the downsides.

•••
Yes, but again, that's assuming you have a GREAT domain that gets enough type-in traffic to justify all of the downsides.

What downside. You get to use a great domain at the fraction of the cost of buying. You have an option to buy. Lease has the stats so they'll know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

•••
What downside. You get to use a great domain at the fraction of the cost of buying. You have an option to buy. Lease has the stats so they'll know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Who says you have the option to buy? In SOME contracts, yes, you have the option to buy. But there is no requirement that a contract be written with an option for you to buy it...and there are ones where it is rental only, with no option to buy. And you honestly can't think of any downsides. Hmmm, let's see...if you are using it for a legit business, people will start to associate the domain you don't own with your business. You can't publish the domain name on any of your business material, because you have no control after you are done renting it. Any traffic you bring to the domain is gone after the rental ends. Etc.

•••
Who says you have the option to buy? ... Any traffic you bring to the domain is gone after the rental ends. Etc.

That is why you include the option to buy.

Besides, would you refuse to rent the best location for a store in your town b/c you couldn't take your lease improvements to a new building? Get real.

Yes the domain has to be a rock-star. You wouldn't lease a crappy domain any more then you'd lease a store facing an alley.

•••
About a dozen-ish years ago we offered several niche names, very nice niche market names for rent.

Our terms were clear and detailed and the rental amount in the $50. - $95. per mo range.

The Buy prices were in the 3500 - 10000 range.

The " renter " could try out the names and see if their respective traffic/sales etc increased.

IMO if ever again I decided to " rent a name" I would insist on at least a six month minimum rental period to give the name proper point time to get established for the renter's site and to minimize my time/effort that goes into the rental agreement, emails, etc.

ideally domain's made to anyone for rental should really already be established in the renter's desired sector with already good ranking that can be tweaked to the renter's specific keywords or area of expertise etc but if the renter was renting an already existing website with good google ranking etc the renter would be saving the initial time it takes for google to recognize a new website etc and saving on pay per click as organic seo is far better but takes time to get to first page for free but free to stay on first page which pap per click is not ?

i dont currently rent any domains as the ones i own are purely because i bought them based on the tech idea concept they would be ideal for and more than happy to put them on the back burner so to speak for a few years as wouldn't have a clue what prices people would pay to rent a domain name these days

i reckon a person renting a domain would get a much better return on their investment if they were to rent a domain for a minimum of a year to maximize the organic seo with an option in the contract to extend the year rental

•••
Sure, it's a great idea for the owner. BUT people, especially business people, aren't idiots. Very few people would even consider renting a domain, knowing that all of the promotion they put out, all of the traffic they get, etc. will all be lost as soon as the rental ends. You would need an AMAZING domain to find someone willing to rent...because in most cases, it's far better to hand register a crap domain and promote it, publish it, keep the traffic and own it indefinitely without expensive monthly fees.

that's edging towards branding i suppose in as much as any domain name and any subsequent website built on it will gain google ranking based on its keywords and anything can be branded it just takes time and good seo but some business want the generic type in traffic as well eg industry sector using organic seo which saves ppc ads and can offset domain name rental costs

•••
I've leased four domains / websites. Normally a one year contract with an automatic renewal at .0X% increase. All four websites were automotive related.

One company demanded a three year lease. It didn't work out and I let them out of the lease early. We still do business.

Only one name became a purchase. I gave up a lot of money on the purchase.

My average lease profit was about $2.5k I don't currently have any domains leased but I have a couple of websites still up if someone wanted to see them.

I got started leasing domains after I leased a name I couldn't afford to buy. I ended up buying the name for 2.5k if remember right. I still use the same contract I was given for that lease.

great info especially for those never having had experience of leasing domain names or who may be thinking of leasing a domain in the future

•••

brilliant phrase made me laugh lol it dont take much

i brought a {profession} in country code etc {its in my sig} but paid £6 for it and renewed it for £15 ish so it owes me £21 approx $30 but its very much emerging market so to speak with great potential and would get great automatic type in traffic but prepared to sit on it for a while

•••
Hi

domain name rental is rare, in that some may "pay rent" while testing the domain for a project or to verify the stats on their server, if they are considering purchasing your name based on "claimed" traffic..

others may pay rent, when it's for an exclusive short term period.

but in general, most who "pay rent" are doing so within a "rent to own or lease to own" type of deal, where they either pay a "down payment" and/or "monthly payments" on a fixed schedule, until the agreed amount is paid in full.

in the interest of the owner, lease deals can include any protective provisions, late fee's, compounded interest, etc.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/lease-to-own-contract-via-escrow-or-others.918851/#post-5308837

https://www.namepros.com/threads/renting-domains.957495/#post-5616323

https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-leasing-pitfalls.863713/#post-4897370

imo....

•••
Who says you have the option to buy? In SOME contracts, yes, you have the option to buy. But there is no requirement that a contract be written with an option for you to buy it...and there are ones where it is rental only, with no option to buy. And you honestly can't think of any downsides. Hmmm, let's see...if you are using it for a legit business, people will start to associate the domain you don't own with your business. You can't publish the domain name on any of your business material, because you have no control after you are done renting it. Any traffic you bring to the domain is gone after the rental ends. Etc.

you make a valid point and yes but you should be able to use it on your business material etc because after all it it is your rented business address - some businesses change premises once in a while and a domain is a business address and as such and should be used just like an actual address eg where a business can put their busines name or logo on the side of the business via a sign etc so long as that business returns the premises to the state they entered the building eg sign free the only difference with a domain name is that the business having rented the domain name will have left behind backlinks and seo etc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back