IT.COM

discuss Domain investing and startup investing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Sometimes when I look at domain name investing, it looks a lot like pre-seed startup investing where you have certain money in your pocket which you have to invest, and then look at domain names (startups) where you would invest.

Of course, in this case, you do not have to rely on a team/people, rather the research. And the growth can't be accelerated by working harder on a domain name.

Just thinking it this way, may transform how we research and invest going forward, maybe. What are your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
its different. you can't register/buy a startup for $10

Last edited:
•••
I don't even know where to begin with this

•••
working harder on a domain name
Yes, kind of. But how do you do the above?

if you mean listing the domains on different marketplaces, then that's not working, that's promoting your domains so that they can be sold to the right buyer. But, if you meant developing the domains into functional websites (which I'm sure you didn't mean), then that would be completely different than domaining.

•••
About the only similarity I can see is based on math.

With startup investing, the vast majority fail. The small amount that succeed need to pay for the rest.
With domain investing, the vast majority never sell. The small amount that sell need to pay for the rest.

With that said, the bar to invest in domains is so much lower. There are not many fields where you can turn $10 into $1,000 or $10,000 (legally and consistently).

Brad

Last edited:
•••
About the only similarity I can see is based on math.

With startup investing, the vast majority fail. The small amount that succeed need to pay for the rest.
With domain investing, the vast majority never sell. The small amount that sell need to pay for the rest.

With that said, the bar to invest in domains is so much lower. There are not many fields where you can turn $10 into $1,000 or $10,000 (legally and consistently).

Brad
This.

•••
Serial entreprenuer and angel investor here. What in God's good name are you rambling about?
You would be lucky to make a small angel investment for less than 250 plenty of domain avenues before you reach that number. Plus angel investing is a bet on a business and you get a stake for your money. Domaining unless you build a site your holding a non cash flowing asset more often than not.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back