Dynadot

analysis Domain Industry Report of August 2020

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Macit

Founder of dofo.comEstablished Member
Dofo.com Staff
Impact
We continue to the Monthly Domain Industry Reports with the August 2020 Domain Industry Report.

In August 2020, more than 4.9 million domain names were registered all over the world. COM, as always, is the most popular domain extension with 3.4 million domain names (69%).

The number of registered domain names was 5.1 million in July 2020.

The top 10 keywords of domain names registered in August 2020 are shop, online, home, group, life, tech, store, services, today, and pro.

In this article you can find:
  • Top Keywords
  • Top Extensions
  • Top Countries
  • Top Registrars
  • Expiry Date Statistics
  • Top Domain Sales
  • ... and more.
READ MORE

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
We continue to the Monthly Domain Industry Reports with the August 2020 Domain Industry Report.

In August 2020, more than 4.9 million domain names were registered all over the world. COM, as always, is the most popular domain extension with 3.4 million domain names (69%).

The number of registered domain names was 5.1 million in July 2020.

The top 10 keywords of domain names registered in August 2020 are shop, online, home, group, life, tech, store, services, today, and pro.

In this article you can find:
  • Top Keywords
  • Top Extensions
  • Top Countries
  • Top Registrars
  • Expiry Date Statistics
  • Top Domain Sales
  • ... and more.
READ MORE

Thank you!

Two questions.

Could it be that pro is a top word only because you lump together pro pros product products property properties production productions produce etc?

How correct it is to show most popular extensions without disclaimer that some of those are there only because of virtually free giveaway pricing of a $1 or near? Extensions like ICU, xyz...

•••
Thank you!

Two questions.

Could it be that pro is a top word only because you lump together pro pros product products property properties production productions produce etc?

How correct it is to show most popular extensions without disclaimer that some of those are there only because of virtually free giveaway pricing of a $1 or near? Extensions like ICU, xyz...

Thanks for the message.

1. Not actually. Because we split the domain names into keywords then count. This is the number of domain names that include pro as the keyword.
For example, last month;
15 thousand domain names registered with the "pro" keyword.
However, the number of domain names that contain "pro" word is more than 80 thousand.

2. We were saying this in the previous reports, but after some point, saying this, again and again in every month doesn't make sense:
"The new gTLDs in the list such as .xyz and .club might be registered so many because they offer domain registrations for as low as $1."

Last edited:
•••
1. Not actually. Because we split the domain names into keywords then count. This is the number of domain names that include pro as the keyword.
For example, last month;
15 thousand domain names registered with the "pro" keyword.
However, the number of domain names that contain "pro" word is more than 80 thousand.

How did you distinguish that? Did you exclude specifically pros and other words starting with pro? I mean those 15k might still include prostate, prolific, prosper, pronounce, promo, prom, and bunch of last names, locations, other language words like pronto starting with it...

•••
How did you distinguish that? Did you exclude specifically pros and other words starting with pro? I mean those 15k might still include prostate, prolific, prosper, pronounce, promo, prom, and bunch of last names, locations, other language words like pronto starting with it...

We have an algorithm (not 100% accurate but good enough) to understand what words a domain name contains. For example, if the domain name is productwise.com, our algorithm says it includes the words product and wise (check: https://dofo.com/productwise.com). So we don't say this domain name includes the word "pro". Is it clear enough? :xf.wink:

•••
We have an algorithm (not 100% accurate but good enough) to understand what words a domain name contains. For example, if the domain name is productwise.com, our algorithm says it includes the words product and wise (check: https://dofo.com/productwise.com). So we don't say this domain name includes the word "pro". Is it clear enough? :xf.wink:

It is clear to me, but not sure it was clear to you what I meant. Besides those obvious keywords, I also mentioned less obvious words, names, international words etc, which you choose to ignore or it was not "clear to you".

Like would you recognize that pro is not a word in provost, prorector, prorektor, prodotti, Prokhor, Profi (used for pro by Germans etc)? Or that pro means about in Slavonic languages? So proknigi means about books, not pro books

Last edited:
•••
It is clear to me, but not sure it was clear to you what I meant. Besides those obvious keywords, I also mentioned less obvious words, names, international words etc, which you choose to ignore or it was not "clear to you".

Like would you recognize that pro is not a word in provost, prorector, prorektor, prodotti, Prokhor, Profi (used for pro by Germans etc)? Or that pro means about in Slavonic languages? So proknigi means about books, not pro books

Yes, it's more clear now.

Our algorithm can detect more than 40 languages. As I said, it's not 100% accurate (and it can't be because of many reasons such as common words in different languages, similar words, etc.).

So, as for the example you gave, profi, please check https://dofo.com/profi.com.
It says the language is German and the keyword is profi.

Or check https://dofo.com/profesyonel.com.
Profesyonel means professional in Turkish.

I hope this is clear now.

Thanks (y)

•••
Thank you, @Macit

I am also wondering if pros is rolled into pro, as that is really more popular version for English language speaking countries in the end, just like in NamePros...

It would be interesting to get a random 100 sample of all the names rolled into Pro to see what went into it.

Just by the fact that it made into the top list, I am certain it got the benefit of bunch of less known words, names etc. with pro, as you don't see too many of the true pro names around.

•••
Thanks for this detailed and interesting industry report of August!
Also very interesting to read the Top Domain sales report.

Last edited:
•••
Dofo, as usual keeping up with the evergrowing domain industry and providing ample ammo with their research work.

Thank you guys, very helpful to understand what’s happening around for us to make wiser investments :)

Last edited:
•••
The biggest winners are the registries

•••
Back