IT.COM

analysis April 2020 Domain Industry Report

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Macit

Founder of dofo.comEstablished Member
Dofo.com Staff
Impact
Starting this month, we are beginning to publish a monthly domain industry report. This report includes monthly top keywords, top extensions, top countries, top registrars, and more.

The last two months were interesting times for all over the world. The coronavirus pandemic has become one of the biggest global crises we see. Nevertheless, the domain industry seems not much affected by looking at the number of domain registrations and sales in comparison to the previous months.

In April 2020, more than 5.16 million domain names were registered. .COM was the top domain extension with 3.28 million domain names (64%). According to our records, 97 of the domain names registered in April 2020 have become in Alexa Top 1 Million List.

The number of domain registrations in March 2020 was almost the same with April 2020: 5.18 million.

In this article you can find:
  • Top Keywords of Domain Registrations
  • Top Extensions
  • Top Countries
  • Top Registrars
  • Expiry Date Statistics
  • Top Domain Sales
  • ... and more.
READ MORE

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Absolutely WOW!!! (y)

This is one of the most worthwhile reads of the month. Lots of interesting information. A few things that stood out to me, over the period covered while not surprisingly GoDaddy in first place by significant spread, but Namecheap was closer than I would have expected. Was also surprised that Canada is the third highest country, although well behind USA and China, in registrations. The TLDs was about what I would have expected. Obviously promotions drive some of the changes.

Congrats on a fantastic analysis and article @Macit

Bob

•••
Nice article. Was surprised to see people registering names with renewal of up to 5 and 10 years.

•••
Good information summarized well. Thanks for sharing.

•••
This is amazing - please keep doing this.

Wondering why Yule was big in March?? Early Christmas?

Interesting to see .xyz up there with other TLDs - all I ever on twitter are people ripping on .xyz for no reason at all.

•••
To me It’s surprise to find .CO not available in the top list of extensions!! And .top / .icu / .buzz are more popular !!
Even i have noticed increase in domains sales reported by np members for the .CO extension !

•••
Nice report, glad to see domains growing everyday!

Feel free to reach me out at [email protected] so I can help you showing the data with great visualizations.

•••
Very impressive report! Please continue with these. Thanks!

•••

Interesting to see .xyz up there with other TLDs - all I ever on twitter are people ripping on .xyz for no reason at all.
YuLe means entertainment in Chinese.

•••
Nice article. Was surprised to see people registering names with renewal of up to 5 and 10 years.

I also register some domain names for 10 years if it's really important for me. :xf.wink:

•••

YuLe means entertainment in Chinese.

Actually the reason why yule was one of the top keywords in March 2020 seems unnatural because almost all the domain names that contain yule were registered by the same registrant.

•••
GD better not ramp up .us prices like they do to everything they touch :banghead:

•••
This was the first monthly domain industry report of Dofo.

We are open, as always, to suggestions. :xf.wink:

If you think including something else in the report would be good, please let us know.

•••
Helpful info, outstanding presentation. A monthly report of this kind would be much appreciated by the community, and I believe it will continue gaining traction.

•••
Back