NameSilo

advice Domain in trouble

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sye

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

Two of my domain in trouble, LCN do auto renewal of my both domain for 2 years , i told them to cancel it, as i will renew for 1 year, they cancelled it and now domain are in redumption period.
domain will expire on 23 march 2019, but showing redumption period. i am stuck . both domains are not working. dont know what to do now

thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello. I'd really suggest trying to resolve this with LCN. If you wanted it renewing for just 1 year instead of 2 and its their mistake then they will be the ones to ask to rectify the situation and are in the best position to do it.

Normally their support is pretty good from my experience.

Is there anything specific that we can help you with?

Last edited:
•••
Waste no more time and contact them about it.

•••
Hi,
they give me two options, to restore the domain name with redumption fee, or wait to expire and then delete.

it is really bad practice by them, my domain will expire on 23 March 2019, and it is showing redumption.

I am in big problem due to this. my domains are off.

thanks

•••
try calling them on the phone maybe?

•••
Are they in redemption because you have left it too long to sort it?

•••
it happened happened yesterday. here is the picture
it should expire in 2019 march but showing 2021, also showing restore option only.
i renewed these domain for 2018 march to 2019 march 22

redumption.jpg

•••
Ask them how it managed to get into this state if you don't already know.

•••
they are giving me two options.

1. let this domain expire and register it again if available after expiry 82+ as it is not expired yet.
2. Restore it for 50 pound and renewal fee £24.95 total : £74.95

Please this is to mention that my domain will expire on 23 March 2019, and it is showing redumption period and LCN not helping us to do anything, except paying restoration fee.

•••
Did they give you an adequate reason that your domain has dropped into redemption?

•••
He cancelled his renewal order. That’s the reason. No mystery.

It’s not like a stock trading account with an option to Modify an order.

But why it’s showing anything other than still unexpired if indeed the renewal date is March 23rd 2019 I couldn’t say.

Last edited:
•••
128603_1e2825d47064517cfd3825acc49473b3.jpg

Your image shows expiration date in 2021, not 2019. Furthermore, the "Restore Now" link shows under the "Manage Add Hosting" heading.

You have me really confused. :xf.confused:

Is that LCNs control panel? :xf.eek: If so, that's horrible!

•••
128603_1e2825d47064517cfd3825acc49473b3.jpg

Your image shows expiration date in 2021, not 2019. Furthermore, the "Restore Now" link shows under the "Manage Add Hosting" heading.

You have me really confused. :xf.confused:

Is that LCNs control panel? :xf.eek: If so, that's horrible!
It's just a column for domain options. One domain has two links, one is a link for "Manage" and the other is "Add hosting", the other two domains have a single option of "Restore now". Hopefully that clears it up.

If you cancelled the renewal of the domains and left it for too long then you've ended up in this situation because of lack of action. Sorry but that's the truth and it's not unusual for registrars to have redemption fees past a certain timeframe.

Last edited:
•••
But what about the other column with the dates? It shows 2021, not 2019 as the OP is claiming.

•••
But what about the other column with the dates? It shows 2021, not 2019 as the OP is claiming.
Indeed. Only the OP can answer that with the help of LCNs support team

•••
Since LCN is an ICANN accredited registrar and assuming the OP is in fact going to lose these domains unjustly, isn't there a process the OP can go through with ICANN or another organization to not only report LCN but also get his domains back?

•••
How many names do you have on LCN?

•••
i have over 100s domains in LCN.
my domain will expire on 23 March 2019 , if you will whois the domain it will show it will expire on 23 March 2019, but status of domain is redumption.

On 2nd march they charge me from card and renew the domain for 2 year. i contacted them and told them i will renew manually, and give me charge backup of automatic renewal.

after a day client call me told me that his site is not working, when i check it was showing status redumption period with expiry 23 march 2019, i contacted lcn, they told me that, your domain name has been cancelled as you ask for chargeback on auto renewal.

thats the issue
and it is wrong that i am late or wait too long, it is the matter of 1-2 days.

thanks

•••
It sounds like you renewed for 2 years and then asked them to cancel the renewal as you only wanted to renew for 1.

Instead they misinterpreted your request, cancelled your domains and put them into redemption. You need to clarify that you did not ask for cancellation of the domain but instead the auto-renewal and they have done this in error. Ask to have the case escalated to senior management ASAP.

If by the 20th March, this is not resolved, then I would pay the money and then continue to ask for a refund so that you do not lose your domains.

•••
Thanks for explaining the full story now, it is very useful. I would get on the phone to them ASAP and get it sorted out. They shouldn't cancel your domain if you did, indeed, ask them if you can renew manually and there was still time to renew. This is surely a restriction of their own internal systems/processes.

•••
ask for chargeback on auto renewal.

He didn’t cancel the order he apparently initiated a credit card chargeback. A chargeback costs the registrar average $25. per chargeback order. As a merchant, get too many chargebacks and it may jeopardize your entire standing with your credit card processor. If I were the registrar, and this client did indeed initiate a chargeback, especially over just a single extra year’s renewal fees on two domains, I’d kick this guy off my service and close his account.

If he did a chargeback this is the “more to the story” that we weren’t getting.

Last edited:
•••
A lot of companies do the early renewal in case your card is no good, they can tell you before the actual expiration date.

I'll bet in their TOS it says something about auto-renewal is cancelled after the fact, they cancel your domain.

If so, thats a terrible practice as you do have time remaining on your registration.

However, I am sure they have done this many times before so expect them to fight you so you pay redemption fees.

•••
He didn’t cancel the order he apparently initiated a credit card chargeback. A chargeback costs the registrar average $25. per chargeback order. As a merchant, get too many chargebacks and it may jeopardize your entire standing with your credit card processor. If I were the registrar, and this client did indeed initiate a chargeback, especially over just a single extra year’s renewal fees on two domains, I’d kick this guy off my service and close his account.

If he did a chargeback this is the “more to the story” that we weren’t getting.

A chargeback should be a last resort.
I have policy to charge clients a $250 processing fee for a chargeback. It says expressly in my TOS that before you initiate a chargeback you should email to allow us to rectify the situation first.

In is unfortunate how many clients want to cancel a service or return a product and their way of doing it is with a chargeback as opposed to opening dialogue with the business.

Some of my clients were shocked when I cancelled their account unless they paid $250 to continue doing business. Goes to show how little the public actually knows about charge backs and the expenses incurred by the business owner.

•••
I agree with xynames. There is likely more to the story. Chargeback being one of the issues, LCN have no other option, but to try and get back their money.

LCN send emails before they auto renew. I got emails & straight away changed from auto renew to renew manually & they did not charge my payment card.

I got email with the subject "Your Domains will automatically renew in x days" so was able to disable auto renew in advance.

==

See LCN terms => https://www.lcn.com/terms

Auto-renewals.
We operate a default auto-renew policy on all of our services purchased on a billing cycle of a year or longer designed to ensure continuity of service. You can opt out from auto-renew and manage your auto-renew settings via the Account Control Panel. All services automatically renewed shall be for the same period as their initial or renewal term. These periods are configurable for most services in the Account Control Panel. If you have auto-renew activated for services, you will be sent notification of auto-renewal 23 days prior to service expiry by email to the then current email address specified in your default account. Such notification will set out an indicative new price for the service (the actual price will be as set out on our pricing page at the date payment is taken) and your option to opt out from auto renewal. We shall charge the credit or debit cards held in your account for auto-renew 21 days prior to the service expiry. In the event the payment fails, we will notify you via email to the then current email address specified in your default account. It will be your responsibility to make alternative payment arrangements for the renewal of services. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have valid up-to-date credit or debit card details assigned to your account to use the auto-renew facility. You agree that you are solely responsible for ensuring that the services are renewed and we shall have no liability to you or any third party in connection with the renewal, including, but not limited to, any failure in the renewal process.

•••
@Sye Did you do a credit card charge back?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back