IT.COM

Domain Dojo - Brand Selection Poll

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What would be a great name for a global network of cool domainer-friendly co-working spaces?

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Last weekend, I introduced the idea of a "Domain Dojo" or a Domainer-friendly co-working space. Since then we received a number of domain submissions for possible use as brand names for this innovative concept that is currently in the planning stage as part of a larger expansion plan that centers on co-creation.

The basic premise here is that full-time domainers can live almost anywhere. The inherent nature of the industry is that in many ways it can be highly liberating in terms of work location. And yet most domainers are probably living in the same city or town they were living in before they became a domain investor.

In the meantime, there are places in the world where Digital Nomads have become highly productive. You can find entire directories but here is a typical Dojo in a beach community in Indonesia:

There are a growing number of so-called Dojos, that combine community, lodging, dining, and co-working, often strategically placed near beaches and typically with low operating costs.

There are a staggering number of beautiful places in the world with great Internet service, so why be tied down if you don't need to be. I am personally quite fond of Las Palmas in Gran Canarias, in North Africa, a popular destination for Digital Nomads. Others are fond of places like Ubud, Seychelles, Mauritius, Gozo, etc.

For those of us who regularly attend domain conferences like NamesCon, there is clearly a vibrant domain community. However, this is just once per year. So the thinking of this project is to establish a network of Dojos, where domainers can meet, cooperate, learn from each other, and co-create abundance.

As I know a growing number of people in the industry, and know their respective strengths and capabilities, I see opportunities every day to connect dots and help make things happen that might otherwise not happen. Given the right environment, we could all be doing a lot more of that, online and offline. That's the idea.

With that as context, please help select a domain that would fit the Domainer Dojo Lifestyle!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That was not the plan, I can assure you. The whole Dojo concept was an after-thought. It happened to converge with the Toki project. That was more providence than planning, I can assure you. I wish I was that smart, but I have to give credit where credit is due. If you ask Epik staff about it, I am sure they will tell you the same. I was leaning very hard towards Dojoville.com until I connected the dots.

As for your judgmental nonsense, "shameful" would be if we did not buy something. Are you giving to give @frank-germany a hard time about running a poll with no winner getting paid out of his names for a marketplace? I bet you won't. Feel free to explain further why you think we have been anything but 100% honorable in selecting a brand. Was there some promise ever made to you or anyone else to the contrary?
Anyone reading your final decision for the poll will come to the same conclusion as I did. All your posts have an ulterior motive just like this one did. You take everyone for fools but we are not. Coincidence my a**

•••
Anyone reading your final decision for the poll will come to the same conclusion as I did. All your posts have an ulterior motive just like this one did. You take everyone for fools but we are not. Coincidence my a**

Providence? Yes. Coincidence? Possibly. Planned from the outside by me in advance? Most definitely not. However, I will acknowledge that a higher power is connecting dots that I don't see. Doubt it not.

•••
Providence? Yes. Coincidence? Possibly. Planned from the outside by me in advance? Most definitely not. However, I will acknowledge that a higher power is connecting dots that I don't see. Doubt it not.
You are entitled to your view, as am I. It will be interesting to see what other members make of it

•••
karmaco said:
It would help if we knew what kind of keywords you prefer.
-----
Rob Monster, Nov 11, 2019

I did not want to be too prescriptive but I do like Greek and Latin words, or at least words that stem from Greek and Latin roots because they tend to be not English centric.

The domain Ethereal.com is for sale on Epik. That is a pretty cool name but it too close to Ethereum and people would think it is for crypto people. We are thinking bigger.

Tokiville.com, like Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, could work but I think it is too much describing a physical place rather than a lifestyle.

I like:

- Co-Creation
- Abundance
- Sovereignty
- Truth
- Wisdom
- Empowerment

That's a start for the namespinners.

posted in dn request

•••
Well, folks, here comes the curveball. The winner is:

TokiVille.com

Congrats, TokiVille is a great name for this project,

For those who follow your threads it's easy to see how things evolved from Toki to DojoVille and finally to TokiVille

Perhaps you can continue with the Toki theme for future projects.

IMO

•••

Final domain choice is up to the buyer at the end of day, and you know that Laguna. Lots of choices are available on on and off-thread on this hunt.

-----
$100 bounty received thankfully and being utilised. ☺ ☺

•••
Final domain choice is up to the buyer at the end of day, and you know that Laguna. Lots of choices are available on on and off-thread on this hunt.

-----
$100 bounty received thankfully and being utilised. ☺ ☺
Your missing the point.
But hey, it's all about options and everyone is entitled to one.
Peace

•••
And here are our finalists that have collected $100 bounties:

@SuperBrander for ePurpose.com
@oldtimer for Dojoster.com.
Alex Chung (non-member) for Zenternet.com
@NicTraders for NameNirvana.com
@bulkdomainz for DojoVille.com
@Rahul Sinha for DNCollab.com, DNtogether.com, DNBeach.com, Dojoers.com

I have not heard from others but we'll take care of them as they come forward.

Thanks again for all the great input and helping me to connect some dots that needed to be connected.

•••
Also, thanks to @Lox who had the brand Domunity.com which got a lot of votes in our poll. He donated his $100 to Nigerian eRise fund. Those funds were deposited today @domainexpert77 @Abdullah Abdullah

•••
Also, thanks to @Lox who had the brand Domunity.com which got a lot of votes in our poll. He donated his $100 to Nigerian eRise fund. Those funds were deposited today @domainexpert77 @Abdullah Abdullah

As a side note on national eRise funds, these are funds managed by country managers or volunteers from that country who are experienced domainers. They are allowed to use the proceeds to buy domains. Proceeds from domain sales are allocated to local empowerment projects that the fund managers identify and agree upon by consensus. We'll see what comes of it. The idea seemed cool and several Nigerians stepped up when I offered to seed it using proceeds from the sale of a previously donated domain. You can email them at [email protected] to ask them how they are doing. Domains can also be pushed to that Epik account. I expect this will be the first of several country funds. As they get momentum, we'll set up a structured way to report impact by country/fund and give the fund managers a chance to be acknowledged for their work. The idea is very scalable and replicable.

•••
•••
FYI for those a little taken aback from the change in direction along the way .. I had several discussions with Rob on this topic over the last few weeks .. and I can tell you his vision evolved significantly.

I had some great ones that I think would have been far superior brands *IF* the focus was to be on branding (BrandingCampus) or a location focused for Domainers (DomainerCampus).

But in the end the goal of these locations is to be multifaceted and not uniquely dedicated for domainers. If anything, the primary function is to be distribution hubs for the Toki machines.

In my last email I actually recommended that focusing uniquely on "Dojos" at remote beach locations would be a mistake if Toki distribution were the most important aspect as the local "Toki Mayors" likely would never go to such places on a regular basis. While a beach "dojo" would be fun and might be logistically workable in some locations, for the most part it would in fact be wiser to maybe have cafe type settings in locations where regulars actually do go from time to time as opposed to some remote resort location.

So as all that evolved, that effectively eliminated everything related to Names/Domains, and even things that included "dojo".

I'm not sure about the inclusion of "Toki" in the brand, as it probably might not be relevant to anyone but the mayors and people in the more remote regions where the Toki machines are mostly used, but I do think "ville" is definitely something that works, and more importantly is flexible enough to be used for multiple types of venues (both beach dojo's and more smartly located central cafe's).

I'll agree it's a bit frustrating for things to change so much and/or not to be clear from the start .. but that's the way @Rob Monster works .. lol .. I'm encouraging him to slow down a bit .. but I wouldn't bet too much on that! ;)

It should also be noted that some people run similar polls and don't offer prizes .. we don't really ever see anyone ever challenging those threads ...

All that to say, in my opinion, this wasn't just some publicity thing .. and I think it's cool that Rob's paying out prizes anyways. If this was his only contest, then I could understand the scepticism, but give the information visible in these threads, combined with my private exchanges with him, I can safely say that while this definitely could have been better organised and communicated, (my opinion is that) this poll and contest were not just some publicity stunt.

Last edited:
•••
I think it's cool that Rob's paying out prizes anyways.
Absolutely! Not many people would do that.
And for sure, this project - like most of Rob's - seems to have changed a number of times since it was first envisaged. I'm like you Ategy - I'd like more structure too, but it's hard to imagine that happening with Rob! At the end of the day he's getting more done in this industry than most so it's hard to be critical.

•••
If you can donate my $100 to Wish.org or Cancer.org that would be great.

I don't really understand the eRise charity. Not much info on eRise.org, but any charity donation is fine if you can't do either of the two mentioned above.

•••
FYI for those a little taken aback from the change in direction along the way .. I had several discussions with Rob on this topic over the last few weeks .. and I can tell you his vision evolved significantly.

I had some great ones that I think would have been far superior brands *IF* the focus was to be on branding (BrandingCampus) or a location focused for Domainers (DomainerCampus).

But in the end the goal of these locations is to be multifaceted and not uniquely dedicated for domainers. If anything, the primary function is to be distribution hubs for the Toki machines.

In my last email I actually recommended that focusing uniquely on "Dojos" at remote beach locations would be a mistake if Toki distribution were the most important aspect as the local "Toki Mayors" likely would never go to such places on a regular basis. While a beach "dojo" would be fun and might be logistically workable in some locations, for the most part it would in fact be wiser to maybe have cafe type settings in locations where regulars actually do go from time to time as opposed to some remote resort location.

So as all that evolved, that effectively eliminated everything related to Names/Domains, and even things that included "dojo".

I'm not sure about the inclusion of "Toki" in the brand, as it probably might not be relevant to anyone but the mayors and people in the more remote regions where the Toki machines are mostly used, but I do think "ville" is definitely something that works, and more importantly is flexible enough to be used for multiple types of venues (both beach dojo's and more smartly located central cafe's).

I'll agree it's a bit frustrating for things to change so much and/or not to be clear from the start .. but that's the way @Rob Monster works .. lol .. I'm encouraging him to slow down a bit .. but I wouldn't bet too much on that! ;)

It should also be noted that some people run similar polls and don't offer prizes .. we don't really ever see anyone ever challenging those threads ...

All that to say, in my opinion, this wasn't just some publicity thing .. and I think it's cool that Rob's paying out prizes anyways. If this was his only contest, then I could understand the scepticism, but give the information visible in these threads, combined with my private exchanges with him, I can safely say that while this definitely could have been better organised and communicated, (my opinion is that) this poll and contest were not just some publicity stunt.

Thanks for the feedback.

Over the years, I have observed many entrepreneurs in action. If you ask veteran entrepreneurs about their list of traits that allow entrepreneurs to be success, you often get a list like this:

upload_2019-11-27_10-35-55.png

#6 is Adaptability. I think it is under-estimated.

This is not to say that it is good to be a flake. Rather, it is good to be able to assimilate varying data points in real-time and make spot calls.

It is like a quarterback calling an audible at the line of scrimmage after detecting that a blitz is coming which creates an opening that was not obvious from the sideline or during the huddle.

All that said, the overarching rule still applies: Do unto others. So, if someone does participate in a poll, I will try my best to make sure it is not a waste of their time.

•••
If you can donate my $100 to Wish.org or Cancer.org that would be great.

I don't really understand the eRise charity. Not much info on eRise.org, but any charity donation is fine if you can't do either of the two mentioned above.

We do these as Epik account credit, but you can gift it to another if you don't want to use that.

s As for eRise.org, @Abdullah Abdullah is hard at work with @Ala Dadan to bring the full version of the site online. The main projects are:

1. National and local empowerment funds: Buying and selling domains using allocated funds with proceeds going towards programs and initiatives agreed on by consensus by the local fund managers.

2. Empowerment grants: Microfinance grants to domainers in emerging markets, typically to people who don't have access to funds but have studied how to be a domainer. Hence DomainGradute.com

3. Local digital access infrastructure: The first one and by far the biggest is Toki Servers, covered previously in this thread.

4. Digital Librarians: The Toki servers will be pre-loaded with reference content so that even if there is no internet connection, the Toki server has a locally searchable reference source in the local language.

•••
Ok - I gift to @Ategy for all the great lists he puts together at NameCult. 👍

•••
•••
If buyer have decided to use his own reg name he have to pay 100s of dollars???
i would suggest rob to not open threads in future like this..
these threads are good for us as we have chance to sell our names to him but if we claim here rob to pay 100s of usd to everyone we are not doing right..
if some guys reg names to win contest they can claim only names they regged in time frame and they should get only reg amount...

Thats my personal opinion..

here we are pressurizing someone to pay 100s and 100s of dollars and he is paying to save his reputation..

Sorry but i am not agree on this..

•••
these threads are good for us as we have chance to sell our names to him but if we claim here rob to pay 100s of usd to everyone we are not doing right..
if some guys reg names to win contest they can claim only names they regged in time frame and they should get only reg amount...

here we are pressurizing someone to pay 100s and 100s of dollars and he is paying to save his reputation..

He doesn't have to. We are not pressuring him. He is just choosing to do it out of the goodness of his heart since we had names in the contest but he decided not to use them. It is totally up to him. No pressure whatsoever.

•••

@Riz M. - All good here. It is Epik account credit. The total spend for getting some great advice will be under $1500. It was worth it. Appreciate the concern, and am not setting any precedent here where poll contestants should expect to be compensated. I was returning a favor, because I benefited from the banter.

•••
@Riz M. - All good here. It is Epik account credit. The total spend for getting some great advice will be under $1500. It was worth it. Appreciate the concern, and am not setting any precedent here where poll contestants should expect to be compensated. I was returning a favor, because I benefited from the banter.
Whatever i said what i felt..

He doesn't have to. We are not pressuring him. He is just choosing to do it out of the goodness of his heart since we had names in the contest but he decided not to use them. It is totally up to him. No pressure whatsoever.
if he is doing it by own.. then its diff story but i saw some comments guys said they are not happy with his decision to go with his own reg name...
he have done multiple polls and he bought names like this many times..

instead he could hire someone to hunt name for him privately and get great name from namepros member in reseller price we all know its easy...

but he is coming in public for polling... i said what i felt..

No hard feelings

•••

Rob is people's person and we all know he is taking opinions of different domainers around the world by involving them for choosing a brand name.. may be this is called as crowd sourced domaining.. this involves effort of people may be brain storming and discussion on pros and cons of brand name. Finally he is getting the brand name which he thinks the best considering opinions from people all over the world.. Coming to gift , he had probably big heart and he is paying for suggesting few brand names for his project and nobody demanding 100$ credit.. Basic principle what he might be following is giving back something to society from what he gets...

Thanks,
Sumeeth

•••
Rob is people's person and we all know he is taking opinions of different domainers around the world by involving them for choosing a brand name.. may be this is called as crowd sourced domaining.. this involves effort of people may be brain storming and discussion on pros and cons of brand name. Finally he is getting the brand name which he thinks the best considering opinions from people all over the world.. Coming to gift , he had probably big heart and he is paying for suggesting few brand names for his project and nobody demanding 100$ credit.. Basic principle what he might be following is giving back something to society from what he gets...

Thanks,
Sumeeth

Thanks Sumeeth.

Also, more winners claiming their bounties today:

@NameFather for Optiwork.com

Another naming project coming soon.

•••
Congrats on the selection and even though I was initially taken aback I realized Rob is fully in his rights to decide the outcome.

The goal has always been to get the very best fit and even though I was late submitting my picks which I thought were pretty good, I respect the outcome.

For me I need more discipline when I submit names and will need to force myself to send my list to Rob for the bounty instead of registering all of them.

And lastly, Rob is displaying great integrity and IMO is a classy guy to be offering $100 to those in the poll. Well done.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back