Dotster

votes
    0.0%
  • 15th (tie)

NetSol - Network Solutions

votes
    0.0%

Impact
Another thread asking about this, I figure let's finally poll it. I remember looking for something like this years ago here and was surprised one didn't exist, since it's a topic that gets brought up from time to time. I picked 20 (19)* domain registrars, all the ones mentioned in the recent thread plus a few others. If your favorite isn't listed, post it in the thread and I'll see if I can add it to the poll. You can pick up to 3 of your favorite, just 1 if you want. I still think Namepros should have a Best Of The Year series :)

*there is currently a 20 choice limit with polls, but NP can add more if needed. In case I missed some obvious ones.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Of course the money spent on brand recognition is another reason i believe they take the cake. If you were to stop random people on the street and ask them where they would register or buy a domain, 98% of people would say Godaddy.

•••
•••
I got more than half of my portfolio with Namesilo now. The remaining quarter, with Name.com.

I already abandoned Namecheap. They are not cheap. They are expensive.

•••
I've never had that experience at Dynadot. Usually the payment processing is done in less than a minute

When paying for a dropcatch domain at Dynadot you can pay and find nothing happens, it keeps asking you to pay. There is a delay before it enters your account (and you cannot apply privacy beforehand, which also is not free there).

Paid for a dropcatch domain three times to get it in my account, support was poor, but at least I was only charged once.

•••
I can't believe there were 4 people who actually voted for Moniker.

Maybe they are the ones who enjoy the ease of taking domains out of other people's accounts at Moniker?

•••
When paying for a dropcatch domain at Dynadot you can pay and find nothing happens, it keeps asking you to pay. There is a delay before it enters your account (and you cannot apply privacy beforehand, which also is not free there).

Paid for a dropcatch domain three times to get it in my account, support was poor, but at least I was only charged once.

Again. That has not been my experience, although I'm obviously not denying it happened.

•••
I've often heard here that GoDaddy's customer support is the reason it's so popular. Personally, I haven't had much experience with them, but my few interactions have been positive. UI/UX is another reason they seem to be popular.
I was quite disappointed when they stopped the [email protected] option

•••
•••
Due to so many votes at Dynadot here, yesterday I purchased a domain there and it took hours for the domain to show in my account.. in the notifications, the status was 'processing' for hours

Very strange indeed. I've used Dynadot for 10 years and this has never happened to me. Registrations have always been processed and live almost immediately.

•••
Statistics update!

Of the 866 votes cast, 42 were from users who joined NamePros after the poll was created.
Of the 577 participating users, 32 joined NamePros after the poll was created.
Remember, a single user can vote for multiple registrars.

Looking at votes cast by users who registered after the poll was created, here's the breakdown:
VotesRegistrar
12Godaddy
10Namecheap
8Name.com
2Dynadot
2InternetBS
2NameSilo
1Domain.com
1Fabulous
1Enom
1Register.com
1Uniregistry
1Moniker

If we further exclude users who voted for more than one registrar:
VotesRegistrar
8Godaddy
7Name.com
7Namecheap
1Uniregistry
1Fabulous
1InternetBS
1Enom

This post was generated at 2016-04-12 15:53:24 UTC.
_________

This is purely speculation, but these statistics seem to show that the poll is pretty accurate. It's unlikely that there was any significant manipulation.

•••
Epik.com needs to be on the list. With their ridiculously low prices for domain holders and plethora of related services AS WELL AS their legendary support, they deserve it. What other company has the CEO hop on customer and phone support? I consolidated my entire portfolio at Epik because the service is second to none and as a domainer since '95, I've tried most all of the top registrars out there and wasn't impressed or comfortable putting my valuable names all in one spot until I found them.

•••
Epik.com needs to be on the list. With their ridiculously low prices for domain holders and plethora of related services AS WELL AS their legendary support, they deserve it. What other company has the CEO hop on customer and phone support? I consolidated my entire portfolio at Epik because the service is second to none and as a domainer since '95, I've tried most all of the top registrars out there and wasn't impressed or comfortable putting my valuable names all in one spot until I found them.

What's the price of a .com for domain holders?

•••
brace yourself...

$8.10 USD

for NamePros members : )

•••
brace yourself...

$8.10 USD

for NamePros members : )

And what is the renewal price each year for .com's at Epik for NamePros members?

•••
And what is the renewal price each year for .com's at Epik for NamePros members?

For me it's the same price for .com registration, transfer and renewal. All just $8.10

It's wonderful not to have to deal with finding coupon codes or paying to join some discount program or having to transfer back and forth between registrars to get a better rate for just one year.

It seems crazy that Epik is not even included on the list of the 20 registrars listed to choose from in this poll, isn't it?

•••
It's wonderful not to have to deal with finding coupon codes or paying to join some discount program or having to transfer back and forth between registrars to get a better rate for just one year.

Yes, it's funny, I was just thinking this morning how much time is used up finding coupons etc and that I was going to get a once and for all solution.

How do you think Epik compares against Uniregistry? They are the one I was leaning towards? Epik goes one better with its no commission marketplace compared to 15% at Uniregistry.

For me it's the same price for .com registration, transfer and renewal. All just $8.10

I am glad that it is. I have been worried there is a sting in the tail, as when I went to check out Epik I found on their pricing pace renewals for .com set at $35.00 D-: SEE renewals tab on - east.epik.com/prices/renew/toplevel But that is perhaps some sort of page error.

•••
Yes, it's funny, I was just thinking this morning how much time is used up finding coupons etc and that I was going to get a once and for all solution.

How do you think Epik compares against Uniregistry? They are the one I was leaning towards? Epik goes one better with its no commission marketplace compared to 15% at Uniregistry.

I am glad that it is. I have been worried there is a sting in the tail, as when I went to check out Epik I found on their pricing pace renewals for .com set at $35.00 D-: SEE renewals tab on - east.epik.com/prices/renew/toplevel But that is perhaps some sort of page error.

I know that Epik's regular .com renewal rate is $35 per year. That is not an error. They make this huge exception for certain people. I think it's due to the size of a customer's portfolio. I personally got the approval of the owner that anyone on Namepros who purchases one of my domains at Epik will get the same at cost $8.10 renewal rate that I get for the domains they bought from me. For me, Epik is the best registrar on the planet.

You can't blame them for charging uneducated retail customers $35 per year because those people need to have their hands held for everything all alone the way and they probably only have one or a couple of domains anyway.

•••
Thanks for the info, I'll probably go ahead with Epik if I get same rate for renewals.

You can't blame them for charging uneducated retail customers $35 per year because those people need to have their hands held for everything all alone the way and they probably only have one or a couple of domains anyway.

I agree. But there is an error in that strategy, in that even tech minded commercial customers who would have purchased more than a few domains, for new products, defensive regs etc, and who are not domainers, wouldn't go digging for more info on sites like namepros. They would simply do a projected cost comparison based on that price they saw there, against other registry's prices and move on. So Epik.com could lose out on sales with that $35 pricing showing on their renewal page.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back