Domain Empire

discuss Domain discussion more detailed than Reg of Day and Appraisals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Want2learn

Top Member
Impact
I wanted to discuss some domains. I think Reg of the Day is good for what it is and appraisals are good for what they are! I wanted a space where we could really talk domains. I have selfish motives bc I do want to talk about my domains . . . :) But I want to discuss your domains as well. Feel free to jump in with any constructive feedback that you have.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hear what you are saying "bodybuilder" is one of your key terms in the mens supplement market.

•••
hand regd.it. I agree it's clunky. regd. it in my first week of trying my hand at this great game

•••
•••
I hear what you are saying "bodybuilder" is one of your key terms in the mens supplement market.

Yup .. I definitely see BodyBuilder as a single key-term! The 2 words come together to form a single thing with separate (and more importantly commonly known and used) term.

To simplify what I mean .. in terms of valuation .. when I look at multiple words .. adding Men's to MensDietSupplements would have a similar effect of changing .com to .org or .net for DietSuppliments. But in this case DietSupplements.org still has value .. most 2-word .org/.net do not .. or at least not enough value to justify investing/holding.

Basically every deviation added waters down value relative to the original term/word. In some cases the original term like diet/supplement/RealEstate are so strong that even adding 2 deviations can still make for a domain worth investing in ... but not in most cases in my opinion. Usually 1 deviation (generally what most see as a standard 2-word .com) is all you can dilute to as an investor.

Another example ...

UsedDirtBike.com = TWO Key-Term Domain (1 deviation) .. because DirtBike is a single term to me
UsedDirtyBike.com = THREE Key-Term Domain (2 deviations) .. Because DirtyBike is NOT a natural single term to me (even if most bikes are naturally dirty .. lol)

•••
Personally the way I value domains .. anything added to a keyword is like changing it from .com to .org ... which is while 2 word .com's are a fraction of what 1 word dot coms are .. but a fraction of single word dot .com's can still be very good. But when you get to a fraction of a fraction .. like DomainMainStreet for example .. then your risk/reward and holding costs make it a large risk to make profit if your entire portfolio is like that,

That being said .. I say "keyword" .. but I really mean "KeyTerm" .. meaning that if 2 or even 3 words naturally go together, then it's sometimes ok to have an offshoot word. In this case you'd think MainStreet would count for that .. but for some unknown reason I don't see it that way ... and at the end of the day .. sometimes domains are just that .. more art than science! FastDirtBike.com for me is a 2 key-term while DomainMainStreet is 3. But MainStreet is 1. I think the way you need to naturally pause when saying Domain Main Street splits up the "Main Street" into 2 in this particular case.

Hope that made sense? lol

You also need to look at natural language .. rebrandnames isn't really what you're looking for .. you're actually looking for RebrandingNames .. one of the small number of cases where the _ing works better. ReBrandNames isn't a thing .. or if it is then I would consider it a 3 word/term domain counting the Re as a deviation.

Every set of words is different though .. that's why I've always said people need to have a very good command of English if they want to succeed at domaining in anything but short 3-4L and/or numerics.

Interesting concepts. All of that was crystal clear to me. I am going to test my theory . . . MainStreet 1 word! DomainMainStreet 3 words . . . here it is, MainStreetGuns 2 words! Furthermore MainStreetDomains 2 words . . . You should be a teacher!

With BrandNames, ReBrandNames and RebrandingNames I see your flow if ya will! ReBrandNames or RebrandNames has a little variety. That I believe was one of your intimations!
REgarding Brand Names . . . (REbrandNames) fits, but not super great to me. To someone dealing with brands maybe an angle. Ill toss it into the realm of possibility bucket.
RebrandNames would be the rebranding . . . as you alluded to! I am going to ponder the RebrandNames vs RebrandingNames and opine later!
ReBrandNames, fix the brand and brand again! Kind of a makeover for the brand.

I am going to go ponder! I hope my reflections back make sense to you. I suspect they will make sense to you while others are like its all semantics which it is more than semantics, I think:)

•••
Interesting concepts. All of that was crystal clear to me. I am going to test my theory . . . MainStreet 1 word! DomainMainStreet 3 words . . . here it is, MainStreetGuns 2 words! Furthermore MainStreetDomains 2 words . . . You should be a teacher!

Yup .. you get what I mean for the most part .. just keep in mind that there are tons of other equally if not more important factors involved. Quality and economic strength of the terms are also very important. As is sometimes just the gut feeling for how it's spoken. That's why domaining is a mashup of science and art! lol

MainStreetGuns actually could fall technically into both 2 and 3 key-terms. If it's as a brandable then it's MainstreetGuns (2) .. but if it's to specify a physical location then it's MainStreetGuns .. which would kinda be equal to GunsOnMain. Unfortunately it's not all exact science .. otherwise domaining would be too easy! lol

•••
Here's an interesting one for you to ponder from my portfolio:

holodaze = one term or two term .. one word or two?

•••
Lol sounds like holidays right?

•••
So holodaze holidays holladays

HollaDave
HollaPlays

Lol

•••
GayStreet.com sold for some nice change in March of 2006, about 3400.

What are your thoughts on LgbtStreet.com?

•••
I would say gay is def more powerful than lgbt. Were talking over a billion hits for gay. And then 103 million searches for Lgbt. If GayStreet.com went for 3400, then LgbtStreet.com is what mid XXX?

In terms of evaluating power key words, do we say Gay is 10x stronger than LGBT?

•••
I did think VodkaStreet.com would be better than SmirnoffStreet dot com!!

Definitely VodkaStreet because SmirnoffStreet would land you in a TM dispute

•••
Definitely VodkaStreet because SmirnoffStreet would land you in a TM dispute
Great point! I think Vodka can be any brand where Smirnoff has to be Smirnoff!

•••
I would say gay is def more powerful than lgbt. Were talking over a billion hits for gay. And then 103 million searches for Lgbt. If GayStreet.com went for 3400, then LgbtStreet.com is what mid XXX?

In terms of evaluating power key words, do we say Gay is 10x stronger than LGBT?

While those are theoretically "domainer" questions .. they really aren't .. as a domainer it's really about the numbers. I can't say for sure 100%, but I think "gay" is one core group among LGTB .. people rarely identify themselves as "LGTB" unless it's in rare cases to fight some law. People identify more as "Gay" or "Lesbian" or whatever else.

Other issue with LGBT is that now some people add a Q at the end .. that effectively halves the effectiveness as a domain.

But in reality this sort of specific question is exactly what I meant earlier about having outside knowledge and applying it to domaining.

LGTB means essentially Lesbian AND Gay AND Trans AND Bi ... for the most part I see "AND" as a division to the value of a domain.

Unless it's a very common term like CatsAndDogs or ApplesAndOranges, then AND usually drastically hurts the value of a domain because while you're trying to be 2 things .. but effectively you're neither. CupcakesAndPie might sound like it's worth the sum of Cupcakes plus Pie .. but in reality it's a fraction of either.

Obviously LGBT is indeed something .. so the AND's don't really apply all that much ... but the theory saying LGBT isn't really any ONE thing would hold true for most commercial uses. For the reason I stated above in that most would identify more as Gay or Lesbian.

Maybe a better way to convey what I'm saying would be if you had a site called NorthAmericanHousing.com .. it's not really a thing .. it's more CanadianHousing + UnitedStatesHousing + Mexicanhousing .. but you can't merge them into NorthAmericanHousing because the housing markets don't really go by continents .. despite the fact that continents actually do exist! lol

It's not a bad domain though .. there is enough general LGBT unified business activities to say LGBT can be considered a single key-term .. but it's a very week one and I'd say you're correct in thinking it was a fraction of "gay" or "lesbian" .. probably not as bad as 10% though.

•••
Lol sounds like holidays right?

Yup .. I've had this a short while now and it's really grown on me.

Holo + Daze = two words that kinda represent seeing things that aren't there .. they work well together in meaning .. while having the hyper bonus of sounding like everybody's favourite word "Holidays"! :)

•••
Awesome! @Ategy.com for possibly the weirdest, most random, personal question of the day . . . are you usually the smartest person in the rooms you go into? I def feel Like I understand everything you are saying!

Focusing on the last little piece about 10% but not as bad . . . that would therefore mean if GayStreet sold today for 2k-5k I might be looking at 4xxISH-1xxxISH?

•••
Yup .. I've had this a short while now and it's really grown on me.

Holo + Daze = two words that kinda represent seeing things that aren't there .. they work well together in meaning .. while having the hyper bonus of sounding like everybody's favourite word "Holidays"! :)
This is how weird I am . . . I saw Holo Daze, immediately thought holidays and then went to dazed and confused on halloween.

•••
This is how weird I am . . . I saw Holo Daze, immediately thought holidays and then went to dazed and confused on halloween.

lol .. no no no .. Holographic Daze! Daze isn't always a bad thing (particularly without the D) .. often associated with Day Dreaming .. which if your holographic technology has the same level as reality as a real dream then you've got a pretty darn good product .. lol .. so in this case I saw it more as "Holographic Day Dreaming"! ;)

Focusing on the last little piece about 10% but not as bad . . . that would therefore mean if GayStreet sold today for 2k-5k I might be looking at 4xxISH-1xxxISH?

Yeah .. LGTBStreet I'd say 1k .. if GayStreet was 5k. Gay community is fantastic for commerce .. very few kids compared to straight couples .. as such significantly more disposable income on average.

•••
lol .. no no no .. Holographic Daze! Daze isn't always a bad thing (particularly without the D) .. often associated with Day Dreaming .. which if your holographic technology has the same level as reality as a real dream then you've got a pretty darn good product .. lol .. so in this case I saw it more as "Holographic Day Dreaming"! ;)

Yeah .. LGTBStreet I'd say 1k .. if GayStreet was 5k. Gay community is fantastic for commerce .. very few kids compared to straight couples .. as such significantly more disposable income on average.

Sorry about my dazed and confused moment!!

I am curious what you think about SpecificLearningDisability.com. I want to say that the parents who PMd me as parents of kids with a disability get this topic. And Im unaware if you have any familiarity with this subject, but for some reason I suspect you have a wide range of knowledge.

Tell me I am or am not crazy . . . I would not sell this domain right now for $2k. Crazy right? I may never get $2k for it, but I wouldn't accept that anyways.

•••
What I've found to work for me, is price the domain what you feel it is worth. Even if people tell you it's a sh*t, but you think it's valuable, then stick to your guns because in negotiations that value will show. Whereas if you value a domain high just because, but don't fully believe in it, it's hard (especially in phone conversation) to vocally justify the high price. Whereas, when you believe in the domains value, you'll be able to shrug off low ball offers and stay strong on your ask because you believe eventually you will get full ask.
If it works for you, you're very fortunate. Well done.

Now, on knowing there is actual value, not just believing it does. Some people have great instincts and can detect a good investment, and that is their strength. For others, although you really really believe a name may hold value, it is important to recognize whether this is a strength or a weakness for you. If it is a weakness, you should look to other means to justify your investment, ie. data mining or appraisals. Or discussions like this one.:)

@Want2learn I am not overly fond of the "street" tails, but your VodkaStreet and DonutStreet, you've managed to turn me. They have a flow and don't look bad, aren't mispelled and easily brandable.

•••
If it works for you, you're very fortunate. Well done.

Now, on knowing there is actual value, not just believing it does. Some people have great instincts and can detect a good investment, and that is their strength. For others, although you really really believe a name may hold value, it is important to recognize whether this is a strength or a weakness for you. If it is a weakness, you should look to other means to justify your investment, ie. data mining or appraisals. Or discussions like this one.:)

@Want2learn I am not overly fond of the "street" tails, but your VodkaStreet and DonutStreet, you've managed to turn me. They have a flow and don't look bad, aren't mispelled and easily brandable.
I have 3 more streets for you then . . . The more excited I am to share the more let down I find myself, so here goes . . .

HisStreet.com . . . might suck, but don't think so . . . shocked it was available, SHOCKED!
TheirStreet.com . . . May be not as good as HisStreet . . . kind of has a "those people" feel to it. And yet how could I pass on their street for reg fee?
RecordingStreet.com . . . Record Street would have been better, but I literally was thinking recording studios lined up on a street one after another. They have that in Atlanta. Maybe I need to coordinate a RecordingStreet.com for aspiring Atlanta rappers, and winner gets title of MisterAtlanta.com . . .

•••
The interesting thing about mens diet supplements, and the reason I reg'd it, is that the addition of "mens" qualifies the traffic, and I think this increases the value by a factor of 5 or 6. Of course, it also reduces the volume. One other factor is that, if I link to other related sites owned by me, then it can increase their rankings for the market sector.

•••

the fact that there are only 4 reported $1K+ "lgbt" sales on namebio should tell you a lot about commercial value of the term
..and all were exact match "lgbt" or "lgbtq"
...vs 79 .com only $1K+ "gay + something" sales

another way to see it is check how many "lgbt + word" names are avail
for example:

gay square - taken since 1999
lgbt square - avail

gay corner - taken since 2000
lgbt corner - avail

now what is the chance of selling "lgbt street" if i can still handreg "lgbt square"?

* i sold gaycity/net in 2015 and gayapartment/com in 2013. both "lgbt" variants are avail for handreg

•••
@Want2learn Sharing a few harsh IMOs as long as I'm here:

HisStreet, TheirStreet, RecordingStreet - All what I would call empty phrases, i.e. they are not real things, frequent collocations or that brandable (ing-form rarely works).

RentersForSale - Not the proper phrase people would use. 22 google search results.

VodkaStreet, DonutStreet - DonutStreet is OK as a brandable, vodka a bit too specific. But both have quite a few alternatives. Still kind of like DonutStreet, would make a decent brand for a donut store chain.

SpecialLearningDisability - On the fence with this one. But still see it more as an empty phrase. Not a standardized term according to TermiumPlus or EuroTermBank. Learning disabilities are on the rise, though.

Random word pairings are just that: random. Unless they're short, snappy, and catchy brandables with many different possible applications. IMO. IMO. IMO. Others may disagree. Feel free to shoot the messenger.

•••
@Want2learnHisStreet, TheirStreet, RecordingStreet - All what I would call empty phrases, i.e. they are not real things, frequent collocations or that brandable (ing-form rarely works).
Agreed- they just don't work (but singular RecordStreet would have been awesome).

Try not to get too carried with these. It's rare that you'll find an ending such as "street" having a universal fit, it will only work in certain instances.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back