Dynadot

Does GoDaddy DDC apply to part of Closeout domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bought DDC few days ago but I don't notice any sign of its application, so I called GD and the rep said DDC does not apply to Closeout domains.

The billing statement is in NZ dollar with sales tax. Below is what I paid today on a Closeout domain. There is no mention of DDC discount and it's similar to what I've been paying recently without DDC.

============
Expiry Domain Name Purchase $14.71
.COM Domain Transfer $12.78
Subtotal $27.49
Tax $4.12
Total $31.61
============

I also notice that sometimes I'm charged with ".COM Domain Transfer" and another time "COM Domain Renewal" which is double in price. Why the discrepancy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I bought DDC few days ago but I don't notice any sign of its application, so I called GD and the rep said DDC does not apply to Closeout domains.

The billing statement is in NZ dollar with sales tax. Below is what I paid today on a Closeout domain. There is no mention of DDC discount and it's similar to what I've been paying recently without DDC.

============
Expiry Domain Name Purchase $14.71
.COM Domain Transfer $12.78
Subtotal $27.49
Tax $4.12
Total $31.61
============

I also notice that sometimes I'm charged with ".COM Domain Transfer" and another time "COM Domain Renewal" which is double in price. Why the discrepancy?
For me, DDC applies to the Domain Transfer and Domain Renewal part of Closeout domains. Automatically.

When the domain is with GoDaddy, you're charged with "Domain Renewal", but when the domain is at another registrar, you're charged with "Domain Transfer" in order to get it transferred to GoDaddy.

At most registrars, a transfer is usually cheaper than a renewal.

Last edited:
•••
When the domain is with GoDaddy, you're charged with "Domain Renewal", but when the domain is at another registrar, you're charged with "Domain Transfer" in order to get it transferred to GoDaddy.
Are you charged the same price? In my case, renewal is much more expensive than the price of transfer.

Also, is the discount by DDC shown in your emailed billing statement?

•••
Are you charged the same price? In my case, renewal is much more expensive than the price of transfer.

Also, is the discount by DDC shown in your emailed billing statement?
The prices for renewal and transfer are almost the same, but not exactly the same. Sounds like one is discounted but not the other...

No, it's not shown in the emailed receipt, but if I check billing in my GoDaddy account I can see List Price and the much lower Purchase Price that I paid for renewal/transfer.

•••
@Joe Styler Can you clarify?

(1) In Closeout domains, DDC applies to "renewal/transfer" component but not to Closeout price.

(2) The price varies depending on whether it's "renewal" (GD registered) or "transfer" (from another registrar).

Thanks.

•••
I downloaded all billing statements for the last 2 months of my Closeout auction domain purchase and compared them. This is what I found out.
  1. A domain purchase consists of two components: auction price and renewal/transfer price.
  2. The auction price is the Closeout price you see, starting from US$11.
  3. If the domain is "renewal", DDC applies to it. (This is the only place where DDC matters.)
  4. If the domain is "transfer", it's always half the list price regardless of whether you have DDC or not.
Is my understanding correct?

•••
I have only purchased one domain name since joining the DDC, so unfortunately I don't know if #4 is a correct statement.

•••
No problem. I've confirmed that DDC applies to part of a Closeout domain purchase, so now I can move on. Thanks for your comments.

•••
No problem. I've confirmed that DDC applies to part of a Closeout domain purchase, so now I can move on. Thanks for your comments.
Did you get any answer to why you had to pay $31.61 for the domain you purchased?

•••
Did you get any answer to why you had to pay $31.61 for the domain you purchased?
The issue is complicated by the currency conversion. Just refer to my above conclusion for what I have learned and now feel comfortable using DDC. It'll save me a lot when I buy more than 10 domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back