Dynadot

advice Do You Leave Your WHOIS Info Public?

NameSilo
Watch
I just recently regged about 8 new domains using promos and coupons between Thanksgiving and today.

I left my WHOIS info set to Public, assuming this would make it easier for potential buyers to find me.

Today I am getting unsolicited marketing calls, texts and some outright spammers and scammers.

What do you all do with your WHOIS settings on your domains?

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Mine is private always. But I still receive emails. Some registrars (namesilo, gd, name.com) redirect emails to the protected email address on private whois. Some (sav) just point to a static email address for all domains that doesn't redirect emails.

•••
If someone contacted you through your whois info and want to buy domain from your lander page, how does the transaction take place? Is it just a trust or they have to use some third party services like Escrow and Paypal, because they are not using any marketplace, so how it works?

•••
To public if you are a domainer, not bad
Not to public if you are in a project,

•••
The whoIS information for great domain names can be properly hidden, the general domain name depends on personal preference.However, be careful to protect your privacy.
I hope you can get a good price:xf.smile:

•••
I do i just don't answer the phone. I am not going to make it difficult to find me you just won't talk to me without an appointment. whoisdatatool.com

Last edited:
•••
I

Today I am getting unsolicited marketing calls, texts and some outright spammers and scammers.

What do you all do with your WHOIS settings on your domains?

Thanks!

Here it is privacy settings only for the past decade or so with any newly acquired domain names.

Why do we use " privacy only " ?

Same reasons you cited - seems nothing has changed re spammers, cons et al over the years.

•••
If there are serious buyer, they will contact you through your registrar even when your privacy is on. But with Pri off you have to deal with spammers, opening each mail and reading them. Some carry links too which could be risky.
But yes spammers also contact you thro your registrar but the no of such emails are very less.

Last edited:
•••
The only concern about spam is you may lose a lead, just ignoring your spam folder. Ok, go to the rule: always check carefully your spam folder. You never know. It has happened to me at past and I am sure it will happen again.
Otherwise, spam just has to be ignored and periodically be deleted.

Last edited:
•••
If someone contacted you through your whois info and want to buy domain from your lander page, how does the transaction take place? Is it just a trust or they have to use some third party services like Escrow and Paypal, because they are not using any marketplace, so how it works?

If you have a secure ecommerce site or means to accept payment (with some kind of escrow component), then that would be the way to go. Otherwise, you should direct them to a marketplace where your domain is listed (Afternic, DAN, Epik, ToughDomains, Namesilo, Sedo, BrandBucket, Squadhelp, etc). You might end up with slightly less than the full amount (as you have to factor in whatever commission you'll be giving up to the marketplace) but that's usually the safest bet.

As much as we'd like to make it as easy as possible for serious buyers to purchase/rent our domains, care has to be taken if there's resistance to the recommended/preferred sales venue/method. Serious buyers will generally make an effort to utilize the existing payment methods, while most scammers will not.

Last edited:
•••
I always keep public. No sense of keeping private if the sole purpose is to sell the domain(s).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back