IT.COM

Do you judge people by their domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
An age old adage says "Show me your domains and I will tell you who you are".

Or was it about friends?

Anyway, do you guys judge the fellow domain investors by their portfolio? What are the factors, if yes, that let's you to arrive at some conclusions?

I admit that I am often curious to see someone's portfolio and since it is not real life to use some other information to establish opinions, anything helps )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just on whether are not they are a good domain investor. Everyone has to start somewhere.

•••
Interesting question.

My personal view on judging came late in life, as an adult. In short, I try really, really hard to love everybody and judge nobody. Here's why:

<sermon>

I take a Biblical view on this one. For example:

Judge not, that ye be not judged. - Matthew 7:1

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God. - 1 Cor 4:5

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. - Proverbs 9:10

In other words, best not to judge anyone.

I think anyone who figures out that there is an all-knowing, all-seeing God of the Universe, it becomes very easy to reconsider.

Some of you know that I have been redirecting adult and unknown international traffic to a simple Gospel site and free online Bible reference, that I set up years ago. The site is called thesignsofthetime.com. Any domain can be a Gospel site by changing the DNS to:

NS1.THESIGNSOFTHETIME.COM
NS2.THESIGNSOFTHETIME.COM

The network of sites get decent traffic. It could get a lot more if folks with traffic would point their domains there. Although it does not pay any CPC, it might win souls!

</sermon>

•••
•••
Interesting question.

My personal view on judging came late in life, as an adult. In short, I try really, really hard to love everybody and judge nobody. Here's why:

<sermon>

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God. - 1 Cor 4:5

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. - Proverbs 9:10

I think anyone who figures out that there is an all-knowing, all-seeing God of the Universe, it becomes very easy to reconsider.

Some of you know that I have been redirecting adult and unknown international traffic to a simple Gospel site and free online Bible reference, that I set up years ago. The site is called thesignsofthetime.com. Any domain can be a Gospel site by changing the DNS to:

The network of sites get decent traffic. It could get a lot more if folks with traffic would point their domains there. Although it does not pay any CPC, it might win souls!

</sermon>
Yes, it is best to not judge. It is not our place to judge and by not judging wisdom becomes an attribute. Much better to have compassion, love and understanding than it is to judge our fellow people.

Best to all!

•••
Domains we offer to sell are what we think the public wants, they don't have to be domains that WE personally like. Also the quality of names depends on how deep the domainer's pockets are. So no, can't judge.

•••
not the type of person they are, but the portfolio does tell me the type of 'domainer' they are and the level of expertise.

•••
OK,

So let judge me, Honestly, I would like to know how people judge what quality or ugliness they see in my domaining.

•••
Funny how some people think they can judge anybody. You would be naive to think you can.
Human beings are very complicated and who they were yesterday may not be who they are today or who they will be tomorrow.
Only God can judge.

•••
I do.

Using judgement, aka judging, is a part of survival.

This "God can judge" nonsense is silly. If you see someone doing something wrong, you come to that perspective by judging that action against other actions that you have seen either be successful or failures.

The fact that people can pretend to even understand what life is is absurd, let alone try to convey the idea of God in a language created by man.

With all of this "God" talk, the ready2pray.com web address is garbage, your lord and savior deserves better.

Wait, wait, WAIT!

Is that company seriously using a hyphenated .BIZ. Get out of here!

Last edited:
•••
I know how inexact a science domain name worth is, so I try not to judge anyone else's portfolio. The community is large enough for varying strategies and approaches, and in fact the diversity helps the domain community expand and remain vibrant.

I agree with those that say the names in the portfolio are not necessarily a reflection of the owner, beyond what he or she feels has a good prospect to sell for profit.

That being said, personally I don't handle names in areas of life that are incongruent with my personal belief system. I totally would argue for the rights of domainers to sell in these areas, but given that I have the choice, I prefer to handle only niches that I support.

Thanks for the thread @Recons.Com !

Bob

•••
"Show me your domains and I will tell you who you are".
Thats 100% TRUE! ahahahahahahaha!! You described myself and my mindset, not just here but in real life too, all the people is like: show me your Money (house, cars, clothes, watches etc.) and I Will tell you Who you are! we live in a very Material Superficial World, you must acept that and get rich or die trying! Dont get frustrared, just Work Hard and the results Will shoy up your life when the time is right…

Why not?? if Everybody Will judge you anyways!! you just are paying with the same Coin to others… Simple as that. At least I pay with the same coin to others, if you dont judge me, I wont judge you either, but people dont understand that and Will judge anyways, so I decide to judge them too LOL Every single day people remind you how life is and how you must behave to Survive and Be Happy!!

•••
I do.

This "God can judge" nonsense is silly. If you see someone doing something wrong, you come to that perspective by judging that action against other actions that you have seen either be successful or failures.

The fact that people can pretend to even understand what life is is absurd, let alone try to convey the idea of God in a language created by man.

With all of this "God" talk, the ready2pray.com web address is garbage, your lord and savior deserves better.

Wait, wait, WAIT!

Very good rant - made me laugh out loud.

•••
I do.

Wait, wait, WAIT!

The question was do you judge people by their domain names. You can judge the domain names but how are you going to judge the person by them.
It's like judging a person by his clothing. Or judging a person by the car he drives. As for myself I may judge a person by his character. If my domain names were better than yours does that make me better than you?

•••
"Show me your domains and I will tell you who you are".

manslaughter.com - it happens. I guess in some courtyard in Houston?

95%+ of mine are for resell. The others personal/development

Last edited:
•••
If my domain names were better than yours does that make me better than you?

At domaining, Yes.

Apples to apples is important though, just because someone wears a hoodie doesn't mean they are broke.

Sometimes, while in utero, one twin will absorb the other twin creating a chimera.

Was the one twin better than the other?

I'm going to have to say yes.

So with respect to domains, if someone has a crap domain, they probably have a less than reputable business or it shows that they care very little about business to explore top tier branding and marketing strategies.

So in my mind... If you don't care about your business enough to have a decent .COM address, then you probably don't care about yourself, are a terrible father, and an ever worse lover.

•••
You can be rest assured I will not be "judging" anyone by their comments. Keep the conversation going and best to all!

•••
Thats 100% TRUE! ahahahahahahaha!! You described myself and my mindset, not just here but in real life too, all the people is like: show me your Money (house, cars, clothes, watches etc.) and I Will tell you Who you are! we live in a very Material Superficial World, you must acept that and get rich or die trying! Dont get frustrared, just Work Hard and the results Will shoy up your life when the time is right…

Why not?? if Everybody Will judge you anyways!! you just are paying with the same Coin to others… Simple as that. At least I pay with the same coin to others, if you dont judge me, I wont judge you either, but people dont understand that and Will judge anyways, so I decide to judge them too LOL Every single day people remind you how life is and how you must behave to Survive and Be Happy!!

As a registrar, I see a lot of portfolios including ones that are privacy protected. I know many of these registrants personally. Some registered names are beyond politically incorrect. However it comes down to intent. I have seen specific cases where extremely nasty domains were held not for use but to prevent nasty use of nasty domains.

Another very real example is with pharmacy names. As far as I know, Epik is the only registrar in the Global top 50 to defy LegitScript who effectively asks us to judge without due process as to whether or not a registrant is dealing in authentic goods. That is not my job to judge. More here:

https://epik.com/blog/why-i-stood-up-to-legitscript.html

A registrar’s job is to protect registrant property rights within the general confines of specific compliance requirements of being ICANN-regulated, for example. Ultimately if we judge, and judge wrongly, we would bare that burden.

In the rare case of a fraudulent conveyance of domains, we get involved as ombudsman to review facts and engage registrar operators as needed simply because conventional work flows for adjudication are pretty useless in this case.

•••
You can't judge totally. Many old successful domainers like Rick had/have some real freaky adult names. But maybe...just don't want to think about it :p

•••
•••
People can say they don't judge people but the truth is people are judged every day by any number of standards, even if subliminally.

Are you going to go to a dentist with messed up teeth?
Are you going to trust a financial advisor who is broke?

If someone is giving advice or claiming to be some expert in the field they should have some track record. Generally if someone has good domains they are doing something right.

I certainly would not judge someone solely based on their domains at all, but it is part of a package when it comes to credibility.

Brad

•••
Everyone is judging everyone and everything always. It’s called the mind, and it works this way. We collect data, then judge it and sort it, then act on it (hopefully). Mostly subconciously.

If all your domains suck, your domaining sucks. I wouldn’t know about the rest of your abilities. But if I noticed you sucking at spelling too, I would be inclined to put you in the ”incompetent” box. If I then caught you lying or cheating I would probably put you in the ”idiot” box next to it.

•••
This is a very good thread and I have taken some time to think about a response

I do not judge any investor in this industry on their names.

I have formed opinions about people, rightly or wrongly these have been made based on the written word on this site and other sites. BUT anyone can manipulate an online forum to make themselves look better (or worse) than they truly are.

We all have our flaws and make mistakes, both personally and professionally so judging someone based on their choice of names is a waste of time - I try and look at the person or their pretence and not their choice of investments and I really do not give two flying ***** what people think about me (my alexithymia complex maybe?!)

•••
Interesting question.

<sermon>

LOve this man! I'll be checking out Epik.com soon.

</sermon>

•••
Interesting question.

<sermon>

</sermon>
I do not need a fictional character or it's pedlars to define my morality......

•••
Back