Dynadot

Do you judge people by their domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
An age old adage says "Show me your domains and I will tell you who you are".

Or was it about friends?

Anyway, do you guys judge the fellow domain investors by their portfolio? What are the factors, if yes, that let's you to arrive at some conclusions?

I admit that I am often curious to see someone's portfolio and since it is not real life to use some other information to establish opinions, anything helps )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
OK. Looked at your site. First thing I noticed is you are cheap. It costs $7 a month to pay for WIX and not have the headline across the top of your site that makes them the headline instead of you. You have all those names and can't pay $7

Second. Portfolio isn't bad. Put those on Afternic and you will sell some. I think you're doing a good job but again, will sell names like those better at BIN prices. They are perfect for BIN at Afternic. Like the logos and the names. So good job on the names and pay the $7 :)

Thanks Shane, and that assessment is a great compliment coming from you. I have a lot of respect for you.

My little wix site was just actually only a project to try and build a portfolio site on my own, I am still not sure if I am going to have a actual portfolio site built for my complete portfolio.

I currently have all the names on that site on undeveloped.com, testing that platform out, all the names are set at BIN, many priced to high , but one sale so far from the undeveloped platform in the 2 months I have had those names there,

All the rest of my portfolio is on Sedo, all at BIN , 11 sales there in last 3 months.

I am cheap though lol, you are right about that. I am a very budget conscious person, to a fault, as my wife tells me.

Last edited:
•••
Everyone is judging everyone and everything always. It’s called the mind, and it works this way. We collect data, then judge it and sort it, then act on it (hopefully). Mostly subconciously.

If all your domains suck, your domaining sucks. I wouldn’t know about the rest of your abilities. But if I noticed you sucking at spelling too, I would be inclined to put you in the ”incompetent” box. If I then caught you lying or cheating I would probably put you in the ”idiot” box next to it.

One of my core achievements here at NamePros is having bad spelling, that is how the name Xbonics originated here at NPs, I think the name was awarded to me to me by NPs ex staff member “Mark” I miss you Mark, your the man bro!

Anyhow, I reckon I would be incompetent by some standards. Cool.

I see it like this, if you do not have the “PRO” under your user name here, then you are still a work in progress, period. I don’t give a damn what names they own, how many sales they claim to make. What they claim to be. You either have it, or you don’t , and that is exactly how the domain name industry is as well, you either have what it takes, or you don’t .IMO

The domainers here that proudly carry “PRO” under their user name here, have earned every letter of it, I remember when some of the PROs signed up here, and to see such an achievement makes me smile from ear to ear for them.

•••
Thanks Shane, and that assessment is a great compliment coming from you. I have a lot of respect for you.

My little wix site was just actually only a project to try and build a portfolio site on my own, I am still not sure if I am going to have a actual portfolio site built for my complete portfolio.

I currently have all the names on that site on undeveloped.com, testing that platform out, all the names are set at BIN, many priced to high , but one sale so far from the undeveloped platform in the 2 months I have had those names there,

All the rest of my portfolio is on Sedo, all at BIN , 11 sales there in last 3 months.

I am cheap though lol, you are right about that. I am a very budget conscious person, to a fault, as my wife tells me.
The wix is amazing...I am totally non-technical, but I can update my marketplace/blog using wix very easily...so I very much recommend it :)

•••
I look at how long they have been in business and then what domains they have. Anyone doing it 10 years should have some above average domains, if not they are doing a poor job. I don't expect a newbie to have anything of significance so I make sure not to judge.

My number one rule in domaining is not to criticize a portfolio.
I might criticize a single domain name but I will never criticize a fellow domainers portfolio.

•••
The wix is amazing...I am totally non-technical, but I can update my marketplace/blog using wix very easily...so I very much recommend it :)

I like it pretty good, Same here, I can edit it myself and all that good stuff, I am just to cheap to pay $11 a month to get rid of the wix add LOL

•••
The same reason you answered this post. Because we all love domain investing and we enjoy seeing what others are doing. When you see a football player how do you judge them? Why do you judge them? Are they a good football player because they are nice to their Mother. Nope. You judge on skills. You judge because as human we naturally tend to rank things. Wrong or right we do

Thank you for making the clear distinction.

I was a bit surprised that "judging" was interpreted as judging them as a good/bad person. It clearly has to be about skills, preferences and even talents (for example, you can look at someone's domains and you think "wow, this guy is really creative").

•••
I like it pretty good, Same here, I can edit it myself and all that good stuff, I am just to cheap to pay $11 a month to get rid of the wix add LOL

Wouldn't you assume that you could be losing more than $131/year for showing this?

For example, I normally immediately assume that an end user on free Wix is probably not going to pay for a domain upgrade, even if it would be a clear great upgrade for him.

And maybe someone who would have bought the name, decides otherwise because he doesn't want to deal with a free wix based business? One lost sale like that would have paid for 10 years of paid.

•••
Wouldn't you assume that you could be losing more than $131/year for showing this?

For example, I normally immediately assume that an end user on free Wix is probably not going to pay for a domain upgrade, even if it would be a clear great upgrade for him.

And maybe someone who would have bought the name, decides otherwise because he doesn't want to deal with a free wix based business? One lost sale like that would have paid for 10 years of paid.

They charge $7.50 a month with the ad, and $11 a month without the ad, I don't like advertising for them for free as well as not getting a referral payment, should someone sign up from the site. So to get rid of the ad, they want $11 a month, i feel if i were going to pay that much, i might as well have a site built and put on my server, aside from the ease of use of wix , which i do like, I don't care much for the design options or much else they offer.

I have only had the wix site up for around 6 weeks now, I am not sure rather i am going to have a site built for my complete portfolio, If i don't, there is a very good chance that Namefeature.com wont be an active website. Or, I may opt to sell that complete portfolio of names along with Namefeature.com. I am throwing the idea around a little bit.

I am on the fence with having a nice and complete site built for my entire portfolio, I am planning to make a move on one or the other very soon. So wix is tempory either way i decide to go.

Last edited:
•••
They charge $7.50 a month with the ad, and $11 a month without the ad, I don't like advertising for them for free as well as not getting a referral payment, should someone sign up from the site. So to get rid of the ad, they want $11 a month, i feel if i were going to pay that much, i might as well have a site built and put on my server, aside from the ease of use of wix, there isn't anything else i like about them.

I have only had the wix site up for around 6 weeks now, I am not sure rather i am going to have a site built for my complete portfolio, If i don't, there is a very good chance that Namefeature.com wont be an active website. Or, I may opt to sell that complete portfolio of names along with Namefeature.com. I am throwing the idea around a little bit.

I am on the fence with having a nice and complete site built for my entire portfolio, I am planning to make a move on one or the other very soon. So wix is tempory either way i decide to go.

For $7.50 a month you can get web hosting with cPanel and wordpress and all kinds of addons. Wix is for amateurs, listen to @Recons.Com his advice is sound.

Last edited:
•••
For $7.50 a month you can get web hosting with cPanel and wordpress and all kinds of addons. Wix is for amateurs, listen to @Recons.Com his advice is sound.

I already have a server with four sites on it, At the time, i just wanted to put together a domain name portfolio site, If i decide to go with a site for my complete portfolio, i will hire a developer to build me a nice site, If i decide to sell Namefeature.com w/ with the current portfolio on it. I still may hire a developer/web designer to build me a nice site for my portfolio.

I have never had my own portfolio site, I am liking the idea of having a nice one built. the wix gig i currently have won't be around much longer ;) + Recons makes a very good point about losing money as well.

Last edited:
•••

If someone is using Wix I reckon they got sucked in by the everpresent ads for newbies for Wix. I have close to no respect for any site found on Wix - they 100% suck for SEO. Well that is a plus if it is a competitor site. The business model is lure people in with a free version, then charge through the nose for each feature that would be a standard part of the complete package in a normal deal - soon total cost of ownership is higher than the real thing, with vastly lower quality and no adaptability.

Can you find an export button in Wix to move all your content to a grown up platform when the time comes?

Wix have also got caught stealing code.

I'd judge a portfolio by the portfolio, a person by whatever mood I'm in that day. I wouldn't hold someone's portfolio against them - like the Christians say, love the sinner, hate the sin.

•••
If someone is using Wix I reckon they got sucked in by the everpresent ads for newbies for Wix. I have close to no respect for any site found on Wix - they 100% suck for SEO. Well that is a plus if it is a competitor site. The business model is lure people in with a free version, then charge through the nose for each feature that would be a standard part of the complete package in a normal deal - soon total cost of ownership is higher than the real thing, with vastly lower quality and no adaptability.

Can you find an export button in Wix to move all your content to a grown up platform when the time comes?

Wix have also got caught stealing code.

I'd judge a portfolio by the portfolio, a person by whatever mood I'm in that day. I wouldn't hold someone's portfolio against them - like the Christians say, love the sinner, hate the sin.

It says i can download my site and take it elsewhere, but i will opt for a more professional looking site created by a web designer, which i am definitely not LOL. and can't code either. so

•••
Interesting question.

My personal view on judging came late in life, as an adult. In short, I try really, really hard to love everybody and judge nobody. Here's why:

<sermon>

I take a Biblical view on this one. For example:

Judge not, that ye be not judged. - Matthew 7:1

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God. - 1 Cor 4:5

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. - Proverbs 9:10

In other words, best not to judge anyone.

I think anyone who figures out that there is an all-knowing, all-seeing God of the Universe, it becomes very easy to reconsider.

Some of you know that I have been redirecting adult and unknown international traffic to a simple Gospel site and free online Bible reference, that I set up years ago. The site is called thesignsofthetime.com. Any domain can be a Gospel site by changing the DNS to:

NS1.THESIGNSOFTHETIME.COM
NS2.THESIGNSOFTHETIME.COM

The network of sites get decent traffic. It could get a lot more if folks with traffic would point their domains there. Although it does not pay any CPC, it might win souls!

</sermon>

it has not much to do with the bible or religion

if you judge other people
you will imply that you are judged by others too

if you don't judge
you will not bother to be judged by other people

so it brings freedom and peace of heart to you
if you don't judge other people

but yes, of course, I judge the capabilities of another domainer by his domain choices
.. but sometimes I even forget myself, why I registered a domain
( that's why I designed database for my domains
so I can remember better ;) )

•••
@Domain Shane would your consider your domains as assets?

What if you were going throigh a messy divorce?

How about bankruptcy?

How about a lawsuit?

What about a contincency plan for your kids..you want to leave them something..

I can think of a few other reasons that someone would keep their portfolio!

•••
@Domain Shane would your consider your domains as assets?

What if you were going throigh a messy divorce?

How about bankruptcy?

How about a lawsuit?

What about a contincency plan for your kids..you want to leave them something..

I can think of a few other reasons that someone would keep their portfolio!

100%. They are the same as my stocks and would be treated the same through all the situations that you mention above. Willed to my child. My wife deserves half of everything I have because I built it with her help. And I would hope a person suing me would see them as worthless.

Anyone that doesn't consider them assets is doing it wrong

•••
100%. They are the same as my stocks and would be treated the same through all the situations that you mention above. Willed to my child. My wife deserves half of everything I have because I built it with her help. And I would hope a person suing me would see them as worthless.

Anyone that doesn't consider them assets is doing it wrong
You are fortunate having a supportive wife!

My history involved a lot of learning lesson..why does every hard lesson that I learned cost me money..lol

I will do my best, so that my kids have a better life than this old gray beard..

Point is, not everyone buys to sell at a profit..yes it is a rare occassion!

Thanks for your feedback!

•••
Lots of biblical reference here..brings to mind another:

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone

If you are going to judge, prepare to be judged. On that note, I am constantly forming ideas/judgments on how someone operates all the time. But on their craft, not their humanity. But it's tricky, just because you might not agree with the name or what they hold in their portfolio, doesn't mean they are not skilled at their craft. Usually I reserve judgement unless there is solid context provided.

There is a good chance I will not visit that dentist with the rotting and missing teeth. Not because he might not be a wonderful dad or husband, but because if he can't look after his own teeth, he sure as hell ain't poking around in my mouth..
Are you going to go to a dentist with messed up teeth?
Are you going to trust a financial advisor who is broke?

•••
•••
JudgeMind :xf.wink:

Well my mind makes BS judgements constantly. It spits them out like burgers at McDonald's in Times Square.

However, if I realise it's spitting out a BS judgement .. that's the end of the BS judgement.

•••
Domain Name sells, not my personal character.

•••
not the type of person they are, but the portfolio does tell me the type of 'domainer' they are and the level of expertise.

Sums the relevant question up, quite nicely and politely.

•••
Domain Name sells, not my personal character.
Not necessarily, my friend. As much as this is the way it should be, it is not always as this. The character (aka personality) behind the name can have a great influence on all aspects of the sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back