Dynadot

DNS weird issue that is troubling

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
i got walkoutmusic.com
recently and did my usual of after buying (from godaddy)
i go change namesevers to my hostgator name servers.
and usually wait a bit and then go to town workin on the

domain.
well this one domain right from the start after purchase

started showing a landing page
wom.jpg

called godaddy they said out of there hands cause of nameservers, fine i switched back to there name servers and after 3 days and doing an ipconfig/flush dns <<was told that could be issue
i would see the godaddy landing page and not the above.

so i decided it should be ok now and changed back to the hostgator nameserver
which points to a wpmu which has no issues and no other domains with issue but this one.

well this darn thing is showing again and i am puzzled.
and if you look at the results of the links in google::
it gets disturbing
http://serverfault.com/questions/582962/unused-domain-name-getting-routed-to-double-click
because i am at godaddy

any help would be great
thanks
: )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The culprit here is the entry in the A records.

The IP here must be in the range of 50.63.202.10 - 50.63.202.35 (The default IP range for GD nameservers)
Once configured, you can change your NS to Hostgator's, and it will automatically start resolving correctly.

•••
The domain is pointing to hostgator's nameservers and they are returning a hostgator ip address for the A record. This means that everything is fine as far as the DNS records are concerned. If you still seeing the godaddy page then that means DNS changes haven't propagated to your ISP's resolver yet. What you can do is change your DNS servers on your own computer to opendns.com ones. Then use their cache flushing feature:
cachecheck.opendns.com

•••
what i am seeing isnt godaddy or hostgator, or my wpmu
its bizarre that page in pic isnt godaddy or hg

will try above tip, but doesnt explain where the page is coming from

•••
what i am seeing isnt godaddy or hostgator, or my wpmu
its bizarre that page in pic isnt godaddy or hg

will try above tip, but doesnt explain where the page is coming from

What ip address do you get when you run the following command on windows terminal:

Code:
nslookup walkoutmusic.com

If it's 108 something then that's hostgator's IP. If it's not showing your wpmu site then look at where the domain is pointing in your cpanel account.

•••
At the time of this writing, the DNS are those of HostGator and they return IP address 108.167.189.15 which belongs to hostgator. As such, HostGator is currently hosting ads on the domain in question. Why? Only HostGator knows why. Maybe, they have a bug. Maybe they are trying to make more money until user publishes a website. Or, maybe, this is because HostGator is now owned by Endurance International Group (EIG), so many customers started to look for "Non EIG Hosting" (a very popular search term in google indeed).

•••
hmmm there should be no A record? my others pointing to hostgator dont have that.
and i asked godaddy to check for anything weird
i didnt create that record

hmmm.jpg

Attachments

• hmm2.jpg
    hmm2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
•••
did this
nslookup walkoutmusic.com
and it did show 108
sorry for double post, tryin to keep answer seperate, lol

•••
hmmm there should be no A record? my others pointing to hostgator dont have that.
and i asked godaddy to check for anything weird
i didnt create that record

Your domain's DNS records are correct. Also you can't change them at godaddy. Your domain points to hostgator's nameservers and only they can change them.

If you purchased shared hosting from hostgator then they are responsible for managing DNS for you. Only thing you can do now is check whether your domain is pointed correctly in your hostgator cpanel account and if it is then raise a ticket with hostgator.

•••
You may use GoDaddys DNS (not currently in use) and configure A record to be 108.167.189.15 (which HostGator requires). Alternatively, you may use HostGators DNS servers (are currently in use) and those DNS servers will return 108.167.189.15 as an IP address of (www).walkoutmusic.com and walkoutmusic.com. In both cases, the result will be the same: the hosting server for your domain, 108.167.189.15, is under HostGators control, and HostGators elected to show ads on the domain in question...

•••
Assuming you're shared hosting and this is an addon domain - did you add the domain to your HG account?

If you don't then they don't have anywhere to resolve the name to and they put ads on it.

•••
thanks everyone got it.. deleted dns records in godaddy some how left over from switching from there default to my own.

•••
Now that happens at godaddy, and other registrars.
People just plain forget to delete the godaddy dns, namecheap dns, etc.
Just add the new ones and move on.
Always make sure before you finish at godaddy and other registrars that only the new DNS are set and no other DNS are shown.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back