Dynadot

Discuss your Epik Experience!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dande

Premium DomainsTop Member
Impact
I think Epik is building the best ever Domain Lander in the history of domaining, and it really needs to be talked about extensively. That's why I am creating this discussion thread. A lot of thought process really goes into the project. And I can see (for the first time) a landing page that is built from the stand point of domainers rather than for just the marketplace itself.

Everything you have ever dreamt of getting or seeing in a professional landing page can be found in the new Epik marketplace landing page design.

Some of my Favorites Features:

1. The ability to optimize your "domain for sale" landing page to actually rank on Google, displaying your sales pitch/domain description. I just did that with few of my generic domain names such as ASAP.TV, targeting certain keywords, and they are showing pretty well on Google. That's a huge plus in my marketing effort.

2. Being able to change background image is another huge one for me. If you are good with pictures and images, you will surely find this very useful. I did that with Nagasaki.org and the result was truly amazing, showing the city of Nagasaki right at the background.

There are too many positive features and I don't want to mention all of them, all alone :xf.grin::xf.grin:

So I am leaving you guys to share and discuss what you loves most or dislike about the new Epik marketplace and the landing pages.

The only negative for me is the checkout process. There are too many terms and conditions buttons to tick before checking out. It will be nice if they can streamline those into one beautiful big button :xf.cool:

They also need to place the checkout button directly under the payment options. Right now it is awkwardly place somewhere below at the sidebar, which I don't find cool at all.

Sales experience is also welcomed in this discussion. I haven't had any sells so far at Epik because I started using the marketplace just recently, but the future is looking so bright.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's the harvesting time, be careful @Rob Monster might make you work in his blueberry farm. :-D
Nothing $200K can't solve

PM5.jpg

•••
•••
Can I book this Dojo this July for vacation?

Yes, @Blitzpotz, peak of the blueberry harvest is in July.

Nothing $200K can't solve

Show attachment 141203

We won't be scaling the blueberry operation to that level. :)

This is about 100 bushes 100% organic rain-fed -- not a drop of municipal water.

Also, we use only hand tools -- no power tools.

It is not really a farm -- more of a community blueberry patch that just gets bigger.

And truth be told, it is not so much about the blueberries, as it is about internet detox for a few hours every day from May to September.

We grew fruit trees too but a couple of busy beavers (seriously!) got them.

•••
it is about internet detox for a few hours every day from May to September.
This will be my workout and I could stop smoking during the harvest.

While doing that I am qualifying as your new posterboy for the next print. "Why work hard, try domains!"

•••
Yes, @Blitzpotz, peak of the blueberry harvest is in July.

This is about 100 bushes 100% organic rain-fed -- not a drop of municipal water.

It is not really a farm -- more of a community blueberry patch that just gets bigger.

And truth be told, it is not so much about the blueberries, as it is about internet detox for a few hours every day from May to September.

You might want to plant a variety called "Calypso" it is a very large, and late variety that thrives in the Pacific Northwest from September/October keep your detox going a bit longer.

Last edited:
•••

You had talked about the blueberries in another thread a while back. Blueberry is one of the Super Foods , a lot of people don't realize that your body and specially your brain needs some of these Super Foods in order to function properly. Super Foods can increase the level of your productivity and make you be able to think of better ideas (and domains and slogans :) ).

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Impressive 17 brands on that leaflet, essentially your own incubator.

Also an added bonus some great domain names: US.TV, Toki.com, WhoQ.com etc...

We even left a few off the page, DomainGraduate.com, for example.

We have a few more cool projects cooking -- including two in particular that I get excited about:

(1) The digital brand marketplace -- as yet not named but will challenge Flippa. @DnFolk is leading the search there. Details here.

(2) We are just starting to play around with a plan for the domain name Websites.org that we bought from a NP member last year.

First things first though: (1) the Epik Escrow dashboard is now live, (2) new CRM suite coming online shortly, (3) making NameLiquidate.com a really popular place to buy and sell expiry stream.

In parallel, @Gube is making NameInvestors.com very awesome as a set of free tools for finding the best opportunities in domaining.

And last but not least, look for a major upgrade for Masterbucks.com coming this quarter while we integrate the entire ecosystem with one secure single-sign-on based on KeyCloak technology.

It will be a busy Q1.

•••
We even left a few off the page, DomainGraduate.com, for example.

We have a few more cool projects cooking -- including two in particular that I get excited about:

(1) The digital brand marketplace -- as yet not named but will challenge Flippa. @DnFolk is leading the search there. Details here.

(2) We are just starting to play around with a plan for the domain name Websites.org that we bought from a NP member last year.

First things first though: (1) the Epik Escrow dashboard is now live, (2) new CRM suite coming online shortly, (3) making NameLiquidate.com a really popular place to buy and sell expiry stream.

In parallel, @Gube is making NameInvestors.com very awesome as a set of free tools for finding the best opportunities in domaining.

And last but not least, look for a major upgrade for Masterbucks.com coming this quarter while we integrate the entire ecosystem with one secure single-sign-on based on KeyCloak technology.

It will be a busy Q1.
If you look at all the transactions that happen on namepros, about 95% of them are done via paypal with considerable fees, if you can capture a % of that market within your Masterbucks wallet, it presents a decent opportunity. The ability to transfer between accounts, and more automated withdrawals should present for a very good test from within this namepros eco system of the wallet. I see many members have moved domains into Epik now with all those discounted transfers you have provided during the past few months, so it would be beneficial for them to use it.

•••
The working slogan is: "Solutions for Digital Empowerment"

That's Motto.

Slogan adds meaning to your logo;

Depends on frequency: epik or Epik or ePik?

If ePik = Empowerment (Digital & Solutions doesn't fit)
If Epik = Digital (Empowerment and Solution & PIK part so so)
If epik (as is) = else (f.e. epik solutions, epik strategic empowerment program, ... after epik ... word starting w letter: s, m, h, d, a, r )

Regards

For the folks who are brainstorming slogans for Epik, just FYI, @Sumeeth spotted this handy primer:

https://www.cleverism.com/40-memorable-advertising-slogans/

No rush on this one but if someone gets inspired, let us know!

•••
If you look at all the transactions that happen on namepros, about 95% of them are done via paypal with considerable fees, if you can capture a % of that market within your Masterbucks wallet, it presents a decent opportunity. The ability to transfer between accounts, and more automated withdrawals should present for a very good test from within this namepros eco system of the wallet. I see many members have moved domains into Epik now with all those discounted transfers you have provided during the past few months, so it would be beneficial for them to use it.

You got it.

Peer-to-peer payments via Masterbucks will be completely free. PayPal just slices the salami but in the case of Epik, the true cost of peer to peer digital payments is basically zero.

We kind of spilled our guts here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DFGtTUxdxt8RZv3qi-tZGiKd-VS3VEnTG98gNH55BEw/edit

Lord-willing, it is happening.

•••
All this talk reminds me of my favorite restaurant in Seattle...a little place at Alki Beach facing the water. Haven't been they in several years and it may be gone, but next time I visit I will hunt it down!

The new photo with the city in the background is better for current purposes...time to start a thread (if not already running) with a contest for a new slogan!

•••
The final version of the ad, which adds:

- DomainGraduate.com
- Masterbucks.com

Both of these are relevant to domainers and will play a growing role in 2020 and beyond.

Thanks again to everyone who co-created. You are awesome!

Final-NamesCon-Ad.png

•••
Lord-willing, it is happening.

I like this design, but because the photo was darkened a little I didn't realize that the guy was sitting on a ledge, You know the Lord doesn't want anyone to fall down and get hurt so maybe a photo of someone sitting in a safer place like the one in your backyard might be better. IMO

Here is a new slogan:

We Put Safety for Everyone Above Politics and Profits!

;)

•••
I like this design, but because the photo was darkened a little I didn't realize that the guy was sitting on a ledge, You know the Lord doesn't want anyone to fall down and get hurt so maybe a photo of someone sitting in a safer place like the one in your backyard might be better. IMO

Here is a new slogan:

We Put Safety for Everyone Above Politics and Profits!

;)

Funny but I was actually liking this slogan:

Life on the edge

- Edge computing
- Cutting edge
- Testing the limits

I doubt we go with it but domainers actually go out on a limb when they buy names.

In fact domainers were the original HODLers!

•••
•••
Hello @robmonster i’m having one issue since quite some time now. i have informed about it to @DnFolk but its not getting addressed, he says everytime it is resolved but it comes back in few days, the currency i’m setting in my landing page is USD but by default it turns into euro which looks very ugly showing price in decimals. I saw dan.com recently brought easy option to change currency on domain basis. Unless epik provides similar option, i have to move to dan.

•••
Hello @robmonster i’m having one issue since quite some time now. i have informed about it to @DnFolk but its not getting addressed, he says everytime it is resolved but it comes back in few days, the currency i’m setting in my landing page is USD but by default it turns into euro which looks very ugly showing price in decimals. I saw dan.com recently brought easy option to change currency on domain basis. Unless epik provides similar option, i have to move to dan.

We'll take a look this week at how to force a currency default versus having the system guess the user's currency based on GEO IP.

@vitigo

•••
Hi @Rob Monster, why we don't get notification by email while we pushed our domain between Epik account?

•••
We'll take a look this week at how to force a currency default versus having the system guess the user's currency based on GEO IP

For endusers arriving on a landing page, it should better be switched off completely. Maybe let them change displaying currency themselves if they so wish. Or, it may end up in godaddy .com scenario - I frequently see mexican (with prices in pesos) GD website initially if travel in South America (NOT! in Mexico), or UK+British pounds if I am in Europe/Asia (NOT! in UK). Those are the defaults if no localized version (which they have for Germany, France etc) is available. And these defaults are illogical. It is not godaddy thread, but I'm posting these details to illustrate how hard it may be to correctly setup and maintain GEO-based pages for domaining.

Billing page logic can be different, if the buyer is from lets say Czechia and you can really bill his credit card in Czech Korunas - then it would make sense to let them select billing in CZK (optional).

Last edited:
•••
I'm posting these details to illustrate how hard it may be to correctly setup
GoDaddy is a technological disaster, so using it as a proof of something being "hard" is not a good idea. There is such thing as browser locale including both the browser language and the country code, which can be read by any website, so no matter where you are currently, the proper currency can be shown. Of course some people may have devices configured for a different country but they would be used to see non-native currency then, because most online services which try to determine user's currency do it this way.

•••
the proper currency can be shown
Yeah, but we may have unexpected side effects as the result. OK, lets forget about exotic currencies like Venezuelian Bolivars where there are different exchange rates for private persons, legal entities, government entities and for banks. Lets speak about Canadian Dollars. All clear, with one exception. The Canadian buyer would reasonably expect to see this exact amount shown (xxxx CAD$) in his credit card statement. Which will likely not be the case. Is Epik able to send charge to cc processing system in other currencies, not in USD? Likely, no. Or, at least, not for all world currencies. So the charge will be in USD, and the buyer will see higher amount of CAD charged (as per his bank exchange rate, and possibly with some extra international purchase / exchange fee in some cases)

Last edited:
•••
may have devices configured for a different country
Yes, it is a problem. As well as taking in account javascript output in general (user side VS server side) - not always practical. For domain landing pages, not to overcomplicate the things, it should be enough to analyze what is received by a server, namely - IP, real IP (if proxy is used), and User agent language. So the server would be able to determine the country by IP (to show appropriate language), correct previously selected language in some specific cases (Switzerland - 4 languages actually in use, Canada - 2 languages), and show the price in appropriate numeric format. It is 5,000 in US/UK but 5.000 in many other countries (comma vs point as thousands separator).

Last edited:
•••
Just a comment on NameLiquidate.com. I see you guys lowered the lowest price to a measly $1.00 instead of $9.00. That is going to discourage alot of people from listing. Who wants to sell for a total loss?

•••
That is going to discourage alot of people from listing
I, for example, list stuff which I am not going to renew anyway. No expectations of enduser prices :) Moreover, each domain I listed - if "grabbed" even for $1 (+ transfer fee) - will make me happy ;). It is really better - another fellow domainer got it, great, less business to hugedomains (I do not want them to become more huge by routinely regging what I drop), less business to pre-release auctions houses (they would otherwise probably sell it without paying even $0.01 to myself the previous owner).
About the maths: If it is not to be renewed, then, technically, any amount is better - $1, $9, $999.
And it works - one man's trash is another's treasure.

Last edited:
•••
I, for example, list stuff which I am not going to renew anyway. No expectations of enduser prices :) Moreover, each domains I listed - if "grabbed" for $1 (+ transfer fee) - will make me happy ;). It is really better - another fellow domainer got it, great, less business to hugedomains (I do not want them to become more huge by routinely regging what I drop), less business to pre-release auctions houses (they would otherwise probably sell it without paying even $0.01 to myself the previous owner).
About the maths: If it is not to be renewed, then, technically, any amount is better - $1, $9, $999.
And it works - one man's trash is another's treasure.

There are nearly 400 domains in liquidation now. More inventory is coming online, and more bidders are showing up. There will be domains that sell for $1 but a lot more names sell for much higher.

As @tonyk2000 says, this is mainly about making sure domains don't go through the HugeDomains/GD oligopoly, but rather stay in the hands of indy domainers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back