Dynadot

Different aspects of Domain Business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What other fields of the domain business are out there besides building a portfolio of thousands of names and building websites?
I find this side of tech so facinating!!
Unfortunately I am not great at the technical side but loaded with creativity, sales ability and research know how.
Any suggestions on other aspects of this business???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • Buying domains and quickly selling them to other resellers for a small profit.
  • Buying domains and holding on to them as a long term investment, eventually finding an end user to buy at a large profit.
  • Buying domains and parking them for PPC profits. This works well with the 2nd point.
  • Buying domains and developing sites. Earn revenues from your own products or advertising other products (Google Adsense or affiliate programs)
  • Buying a domain, developing a site and sell it for profit. (Sort of like flipping real estate properties) You can see people doing this on Ebay all the time under the Website for Sale section.

There are plenty more too as I'm sure others will tell you.

Last edited:
•••
those are all good baobiz

also within those strategies you have different domain name arenas. Such as key-word-heavy-long-domain-names and the super short 3-4 character names which something some pros specialize exclusively in.

Then you have the domain typo arena...which is further divided into real typos and keyuwordf fgat fginger typos and your dyslexic-i-am too fast typer typos.

Another intriguing arena is the domain speculating game. such as Paris2012 JohnPopeIIXXVVII you know thinking and "predicting" future hot names as I recently did with www.danicaf1.com and www.patrickf1.com The drawback here is that the peope might outlive your kids and kerry might not even run 2008. (I hope he does but hey)

Both typo domain biz and name speculating are hihgly critized for NO reason in my opinion. No body cries when people speculate in real estate.

Myself - I try to do a bit of everything to find what works for me. My real passion is playing with words and generate ideas so I tend to mostly register domains fresh.

Ideagirl - I was hoping that you would have received even more replies to your excellent and interesting question. Hopefully a few more domain avenues will present themselves. Good luck and great to have more creative people here.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Fleege!!

Thanks so much Fleedge! I was thinking that my question was rediculous!!

My other thought is.... Do not the pros have expensive and extensive software to do all their research,stats and registering for them. I just do not see how we could all be on the same playing field?

Ideagirl

•••
Well yeah there are scripts both custom written and available that can check on domains. I mean they're pros for a reason so they'd know all of the shortcuts and have the right technology. In a way we are all on the same field because there are so many names out there it's impossible to check them all and some are bound to slip through. However, ultimately these guys have more resources so it's like any industry - the big guys can do a lot but the little guys are far from being out.

•••
being a newbie, learned a lot from this particular thread .. thanks for you replies everyone !

•••
Thought of two more avenues.

The expiring domain field. Here you better subscribe to a service but you pick some up for "free" too. This is highly competitive field and there are litereally 100 of thoussands of domain expiring every day.

Then there's the tiny little sub-craft of weird extensions where you create a word with some obscure or interseting international tld (top level domain - characters after the DOT) Earlier I saw someone selling www.fl.ag

As for software: Dunno. I am managing a bit over a hundred manually and thats plenty. (my next step is to slowly make my 100 a really quality hundred by letting my newbie mistakes expire) One has to keep an eye on the bottom line as well. Just renewing 100 names runs 600-900 annually. Then think of 1000 names.

Many of the tasks can be automated simply at your registrar. also once a domain is listed and is parked its kinda like that TV oven guy - set it and forget it. Let the buyers find you -- but many people forget to "set it" (or do a bad job there)

I bet there are still more special fields one can focus on within this fascinating biz.

•••
I am kinda more into reselling business through directi affiliation
Also i do resale business and customisation of domains for indian firms
Hope thats what i find interesting

•••
aLeeOnline said:
being a newbie, learned a lot from this particular thread .. thanks for you replies everyone !

Reading threads like these helps all newbies and its thanks to the older members :hearts:

•••
mellowmasher said:
Reading threads like these helps all newbies and its thanks to the older members :hearts:

I second that. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back