Dynadot

discuss Difference between .com and .xyz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hareemadil100

Established Member
Impact
Can any one tell me about main difference between .com and .xyz regarding marketing or SEO ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One quick answer com - xyz = .UJM
Or
0317994.xyz
0012325.com

Difference be 0305669
But youll get multiple answers depending on who you ask

Last edited:
•••
From my just said experience, if you sell products, for old people, go for .com.
If products for young people, I see any extension would do, .co, .io, even .club, .me, etc.
For SEO, no different, for me.
If you ask to sell the domains, then do both haha.
Just my 2cent.

•••
:xf.cool:

Every topic includes top, even if it is about com / xyz.

Since I got so many downvotes for this I think I need to explain this a bit further, so this goes to all who downvoted my (above quoted) post (I absolutely respect your up - / down - votes, thank you for your feedback).

It is a FACT that (the word) "topic" always includes (the word) "top", even it is a topic about the difference between ".com" / ".xyz" and this can't be changed by (any amount of) downvotes.

Domain industry writer @James Iles even puts an extra "top" before "topic" in his weekly series "top topics", so he is publishing at least 2 "top" every week (about 8 top / month and about 100 top / year) and this no matter the content of his sum up and even if he won't include this thread in his series (which I assume as it probably includes too many "top" in his view as I believe), he will share 2 "top" at least but since this thread is about the difference between ".com" and ".xyz" maybe I am wrong in my assumption and he will decide to share it (we will see) as it is the most popular thread of this week.

•••
Since I got so many downvotes for this I think I need to explain this a bit further, so this goes to all who downvoted my (above quoted) post (I absolutely respect your up - / down - votes, thank you for your feedback).

It is a FACT that (the word) "topic" always includes (the word) "top", even it is a topic about the difference between ".com" / ".xyz" and this can't be changed by (any amount of) downvotes.

Domain industry writer @James Iles even puts an extra "top" before "topic" in his weekly series "top topics", so he is publishing at least 2 "top" every week (about 8 top / month and about 100 top / year) and this no matter the content of his sum up and even if he won't include this thread in his series (which I assume as it probably includes too many "top" in his view as I believe), he will share 2 "top" at least but since this thread is about the difference between ".com" and ".xyz" maybe I am wrong in my assumption and he will decide to share it (we will see) as it is the most popular thread of this week.
The Topic is to compare .com and .xyz but you keep SPAMMING and PROMOTING your stupid .top everywhere. Shame on you!!!
Are you that desperate to sell your DEAD top names?
1642941467274.png

Last edited:
•••

I was wrong in my assumption that he won't share it (although I was right in my assumption that I am wrong in my mentioned assumption lol), he included it:

Top Topics: Is January 2022 Slow For You?; I Sold This Domain for $6,000...
https://www.namepros.com/blog/top-topics-is-january-2022-slow-for-you-i-sold-this-domain-for-6-000.1264328/

•••
The Topic is to compare .com and .xyz but you keep SPAMMING and PROMOTING your stupid .top everywhere. Shame on you!!!
Are you that desperate to sell your DEAD top names?
Show attachment 208445

😭

Cool down, (especially because) you are a "PRO" (at least according to your badge), then I would suggest to go and inform yourself what "spam" really is before using that word again.

Nowhere in this thread I did post anything about the TLD .top (except now, as a response, after you started to post about it), you are the one who seem desperate here, post your silly pictures somewhere else but not in this thread.

Shame on you as a "PRO" who obviously posts before reading exactly what I wrote - simply read again what I wrote exactly, then feel free to start posting about the difference between ".com" and ".xyz" instead of writing irrational offtopic nonsense.

Last edited:
•••
Can any one tell me about main difference between .com and .xyz regarding marketing or SEO ?
There are many differences between .xyz and .com for both general marketing and S.E.O. as a subset of digital marketing. Although I will pre-qualify my list below with content is king so any domain name extension ( unless totally unrelated or irrelevant ) is far less important than what's hosted on it. That said, here's my response:
  • .com is internationally known while .xyz is not well known outside the domaining community - that's just a simple fact of life and cannot be reasonably argued
  • Customers are far more likely to click a .com than a .xyz ( both listings being equal ) because .com is more well known than .xyz
  • .com looks far more professional as an e-mail address than .xyz
  • .com gives the impression of brand ownership while .xyz does not
  • Trading off an .xyz suggests you couldn't afford the .com
  • Google's algorithm is far more likely to consider a .com website as American based than .xyz even if .com is used all over the world
  • .com is far less confusing to customers than .xyz

•••
A picture paints a thousand words...

1642947288726.png

[Full disclosure (cause I'm honest), original Google image contained my previous searches. Updated image included in later post...]

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
He proves himself he is a troll.

I don't believe in trolls, he sure is a good human (who just thinks ".com is Rolex" or ".com is an upgrade").

Last edited:
•••
.com is Bitcoin, .xyz is Dogecoin.

Last edited:
•••
The clock symbol indicates that you were searching for these terms, they are not a suggestion.
Good spot. Although I type .xyz domain for first time and .xyz domain safe comes up third and .xyz domain spam comes up tenth. Change it to " is .xyz ... " and every result is about trust

is .xyz domain good
is .xyz safe
is .xyz a valid domain
is .xyz legit
is .xyz domain safe
is .xyz domain free
is .xyz good
is .xyz a top level domain

•••
.xyz is just a really really sh!t domain name extension. All the hype will die down and .xyz will die a similar death to .biz. Another phoney domain name extension just to make the registrars even richer. No legitimate company with global reach uses .xyz only spam kiddies, domain name hoarders and a few semi-legit start-ups.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Good spot. Although I type .xyz domain for first time and .xyz domain safe comes up third and .xyz domain spam comes up tenth. Change it to " is .xyz ... " and every result is about trust

is .xyz domain good
is .xyz safe
is .xyz a valid domain
is .xyz legit
is .xyz domain safe
is .xyz domain free
is .xyz good
is .xyz a top level domain
To be fair, try to change "xyz" to "com" and see what it shows.

•••
To be fair, try to change "xyz" to "com" and see what it shows.
is .com or .net better
is .com or .com.au better
is .com american
is .com a domain
is .com canadian
is .com a top level domain
is .com a domain name
is .com credible
is .com better than .net
is .com or .org more reliable

So it seems most of the searches are comparing .com to another extension while .xyz they are flat out questioning if its even a thing.

•••
The decision of whether to buy a domain name as an investment should not be influenced by emotion.

1642949301133.png

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
The most obvious difference between ".com" and ".xyz" is that ."com" is (an abbreviation which is) by its final sense in fact definitely NOT generic (of course, "commercial" is a super broad term - but strictly spoken, at the end it is not a generic term as it stands for only one thing, "commercial") while ."xyz" is definitely ULTRA generic as it is (at least also) a synonym for "everything" / "all".

1642952541906.png

Last edited:
•••
So why is talking about xyz so addicting

•••
1. (.xyz) is a SPAM magnet (growing concern among startups)
2. Businesses will need to upgrade to (.com) eventually, or rebrand
3. All roads lead to (.Com) eventually

•••
So why is talking about xyz so addicting

Not sure what you mean.

But why you do not make a question mark at the end of your question?

When stating a question, the question mark has top priority.

•••
1. (.xyz) is a SPAM magnet (growing concern among startups)
2. Businesses will need to upgrade to (.com) eventually, or rebrand
3. All roads lead to (.Com) eventually

In fact it is .com which is the (real) spam magnet, we all know it (just look at your junk mail folder).

If you create content (which is "king"), changing from .xyz to .com (which is not Rolex, by the way, in case someone (still) has such an idea) is not necessary, it would not be an "upgrade" at all and a "rebrand (under .com)" would just be waste of money.

Many raods lead to .com, some to .xyz but only one road leads to the top (although this one road may have many small = side = individual roads ... at least at the beginning).

Last edited:
•••
Back