IT.COM

discuss Difference between .com and .xyz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hareemadil100

Established Member
Impact
Can any one tell me about main difference between .com and .xyz regarding marketing or SEO ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There isn't really any such thing as an SEO friendly domain. In the past EMD (exact match domains) were useful for getting higher on Google. However nowadays Google knows so much about the content and can examine the traffic flows through a website that the domain name itself is quite useless as a signal to them when ranking results. If you have a good site with a bad name you won't be penalised... after all what is a bad name? Tiktok is a bad name imho, so is Twitch (it's non-descriptive), but they're both popular because of their content.

With regards to .XYZ vs .COM for marketing, radio, TV or billboards for instance. Obviously if you want the best chance of the highest number of people visiting your site, it needs to be as recognisable and as memorable as possible... for me .COM is the obvious choice because it's baked into the back of people's minds, even that of your Granny at this point. .XYZ is new new extension that not many people know about, the numbers kind've speak for themselves...

.XYZ https://www.google.com/search?q=site:.xyz 311,000,000 results (3 million)
.ME https://www.google.com/search?q=site:me 6,030,000,000 results (6 billion)
.COM https://www.google.com/search?q=site:com 11,810,000,000 results (11 billion)

But that's not to say that you can't create a stellar brand on any domain extension if you provide a service that's good enough and the content is something that people want.

.XYZ has been considered to be a source of a lot of spam in the past, not sure what the state of it is now but they were sold for very cheap at first which will not have helped the situation.

•••
I could say there is no difference between a .com and .xyz.
Both have same options.
.com is the legacy extension. Thats it.

•••
In my opinion .com is used to be traditional branding options, a year ago I think if I make up a brand name like Facecook and then reg Facecook.xyz waiting for the sale but what would happened if a end user chooses Facecook.com then? At that time the .xyz looks a little bit illegitimate for branding to me, I was hard to find a branding option for it but I did see an opportunity that the new generations will love it for a reason as at least I could see that gap between me & my father that he didn’t understand something from my generation that looks something random to him. Now things are more clearer than before the .xyz completed the definition for Web3, Crypto, NFT usage and next definitely is for VR the whole new world in the internet that must combine with blockchain and especially XYZ can refer to 3 dimensions.

An other difference is a dictionary word .com cost millions of $ why not use .xyz? It’s better than a country code tld I think.

Last edited:
•••
This is my take on the difference.
Most people will know .com, most people will not know .xyz.

•••
I could say there is no difference between a .com and .xyz.
Both have same options.
.com is the legacy extension. Thats it.
However... there still are some hurdles with regard to Email deliverability, SMS deliverability, User perception, Firewalls, and Social Media networks. This is the case for a lot of new gtlds, including .xyz.

For .xyz, a nice writeup of problems encountered with the extension can be found in this article:

https://www.spotvirtual.com/blog/the-perils-of-an-xyz-domain/

(article mentioned earlier in another thread as well).

Last edited:
•••
What's the difference between a Rolex and a Timex? They both tell time.

.COM works the same way .XYZ does. .XYZ also works the same way .horse does.

.COM is more valuable because it is known by everyone, credible, and is in a dominant position from usage for the last 3+ decades.

Companies spend a collective trillions a year in marketing their .COM domains. Nothing else is even close.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
What's the difference between a Rolex and a Timex? They both tell time.

.COM works the same way .XYZ does. .XYZ also works the same way .horse does.

.COM is more valuable because it is known by everyone, credible, and is in a dominant position from usage for the last 3+ decades.

Companies spend a collective trillions a year in marketing their .COM domains. Nothing else is even close.

Brad
I prefer to say it’s Louis Vuitton vs Balenciaga:)

•••
The respect and credible a "COM" commands, since 1985 (the original)

The anology that @bmugford brought up about the Rolex, pretty valid. The prestige that it carries, even if another watch that is a tenth of the price tells the time just as well. From the perspective that people carry, its just not the same as a Rolex

Last edited:
•••
The respect and credible a "COM" commands, since 1985 (the original)

The anology that @bmugford brought up about the Rolex, pretty valid. The prestige that it carries, even if another watch that is a tenth of the price tells the time just as well. From the perspective that people carry, its just not the same as a Rolex
The perspective people carry now is that .xyz is for web3 :)

•••
The perspective people carry now is that .xyz is for web3 :)
Most of these web3 projects will fail, just like .COM startups did.

Of the small amount that succeed, the majority will eventually upgrade to .COM.

We have seen this time and time again. When companies have the opportunity to acquire the .COM, they almost always do.

Also, way more companies including "web3" companies use .COM than any other extension.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I can't tell you the main difference between these 2 top level domains in regards to marketing / SEO but I can tell you what both have in common.

•••
Most of these web3 projects will fail, just like .COM startups did.

Of the small amount that succeed, the majority will eventually upgrade to .COM.

We have seen this time and time again. When companies have the opportunity to acquire the .COM, they almost always do.

Also, way more companies including "web3" companies use .COM than any other extension.

Brad
We don't know that for .xyz on the majority upgrading to the .com version. It's actually more a mentality than a given, and with development and branding longevity it's probably not even a necessity nor would it be a advantage.

•••
If given the opportunity they will upgrade to .com

•••
Maybe but I am talking about the perspective or impressions from ppl since you referred .com as Rolex, ok I admit that .com is like golden shiny Rolex:)

Last edited:
•••
Whether you guys don’t want to admit it or not, the usage of block.xyz by a company who could get whatever they want is a major sign of the times that domainers don’t want to face— crypto and blockchain people love this extension particularly single dictionary word.

The younger gens do not care about the old foggy dot com. Swetha sales should make that exceedingly clear. We are in a new age and only one party can function on a dot com.

A few developed xyz other than block:

Beacon.xyz

Mesh.xyz

Frontier.xyz

Propel.xyz

Props.xyz

Motive.xyz

Switchboard.xyz

Minty.xyz

Islands.xyz

Patron.xyz

Gateway.xyz

Pallet.xyz

Manifold.xyz

Agora.xyz

Birm.xyz

Is dot com still king? Of course but its not the status symbol it once was to people building companies in the crypto blockchain space.

•••
Whether you guys don’t want to admit it or not, the usage of block.xyz by a company who could get whatever they want is a major sign of the times that domainers don’t want to face— crypto and blockchain people love this extension particularly single dictionary word.

The younger gens do not care about the old foggy dot com. Swetha sales should make that exceedingly clear. We are in a new age and only one party can function on a dot com.

Beacon.xyz

Mesh.xyz

Frontier.xyz

Propel.xyz

Props.xyz

Motive.xyz

Switchboard.xyz

Minty.xyz

Islands.xyz

Patron.xyz

Gateway.xyz

Pallet.xyz

Manifold.xyz

Agora.xyz

Birm.xyz

Is dot com still king? Of course but its not the status symbol it once was to people building companies in the crypto blockchain space.

Thanks for providing the developed .xyz list. I checked the list, and found that most of the .com versions are already developed.

So did the .xyz businesses plan and target to acquire their already developed .com versions in the future when they bought their .xyz domains (especially the example mesh.xyz that mesh.com is already used and owned by Microsoft)? I highly doubt that.

•••

Beacon.xyz

Mesh.xyz

Frontier.xyz

Propel.xyz

Props.xyz

Motive.xyz

Switchboard.xyz

Minty.xyz

Islands.xyz

Patron.xyz

Gateway.xyz

Pallet.xyz

Manifold.xyz

Agora.xyz

Birm.xyz

Agreed, and Because of the new startups or new generation innovative companies can’t afford .com if this xyz trends keep long enough say 2-5 years influenced enough to new gens the .com might be abandoned or ignored and forcing .com owners lower the price level and at that time “.com is king” wouldn’t be relevant anymore.

•••
To suggest .com is going to be abandoned is just silly.

It is almost as good as Frank Schilling's "AM radio" comment regarding .Com from 8+ years ago, as he continued to bid tens of thousands daily for expired .Com domains.

Since then .COM registrations and websites have continued to grow dramatically. There are as many .COM Alexa top 1M sites as the thousands of other extensions combined.

Last time I checked 490+ Fortune 500 companies used .COM.

Yeah, they are just going to be abandoned, especially for an extension that has "premium" renewals for most great terms. :)

.XYZ is going against .NET, .IO, .CO, and whatever other secondary extensions for market share. There is no comparison to .COM though.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Can any one tell me about main difference between .com and .xyz regarding marketing or SEO ?
Your question is about which extension will give you a head start on SEO. Aged domains have a history. If the history is clean, then an aged domain will be more likely to fast track SEO IF you do all the rest of the leg work. Dot com has been around since the start of time (Internet). If you are talking about new never before registered domains, then technically it should be an even race. However, I have yet to see a .xyz domain on the first few pages of a relatively popular search term.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for providing the developed .xyz list. I checked the list, and found that most of the .com versions are already developed.

So did the .xyz businesses plan and target to acquire their already developed .com versions in the future when they bought their .xyz domains (especially the example mesh.xyz that mesh.com is already used and owned by Microsoft)? I highly doubt that.
From what I have heard they have the mindset of main traditional business com. Metaverse,web 3, nft, crypto —xyz.

Again, this trend is only showing itself in one niche so far. Not enough to translate that into all niches but there is no doubt dictionary words in xyz io co etc are absolutely viable options over a super expensive dot com.

•••
From what I have heard they have the mindset of main traditional business com. Metaverse,web 3, nft, crypto —xyz.

Again, this trend is only showing itself in one niche so far. Not enough to translate that into all niches but there is no doubt dictionary words in xyz io co etc are absolutely viable options over a super expensive dot com.
Dot xyz has a disadvantage in the international markets. Trying saying "dot xyz" in Spanish, for example.

•••
•••

Companies That Upgraded Their Domain Names to .Com -​

https://www.embrace.com/companies-that-upgraded-their-domain-names/

Far from a complete list, but interesting still.

The same story plays out over and over. You find success, you upgrade to .COM.

The few stories about going to .XYZ like Alphabet (Google) and Block (Square) are more like corporate umbrella sites, not consumer sites.

I mean has anyone actually visited ABC.xyz or Block.xyz? It is not like either company is giving up on their primary domains with the the traffic in Google.com and Square.com.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Back