IT.COM

discuss Difference between .com and .xyz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hareemadil100

Established Member
Impact
Can any one tell me about main difference between .com and .xyz regarding marketing or SEO ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can't tell you the main difference between these 2 top level domains in regards to marketing / SEO but I can tell you what both have in common.

They both are NOT .top. Easy guess:xf.wink:

•••
Oh it Just Be My Style of Littrature

•••
They both are NOT .top. Easy guess :xf.wink:

Technically (hierarchically) THEY ARE top (like ALL top level domains) but literally (semantically) they are NOT top (like ONE top level domain) but please note that I am only talking about the term "top" here and not about the top level domain that consists of the term top since this is a thread about (the difference between) the top level domains .com and .xyz as the topic says.

Last edited:
•••
Oh it Just Be My Style of Littrature

Your style of literature, I see.
I respect that.
However, in future I will only reply to your questions if they end with a question mark.

Like there is a difference between the top level domain .com and the top level domain .xyz, there is a difference between a normal statement and a question in terms of how each of them ends and this is actually not a thing of style.

But of course you have the right to not use question marks.

Last edited:
•••

Companies That Upgraded Their Domain Names to .Com -​

https://www.embrace.com/companies-that-upgraded-their-domain-names/

Far from a complete list, but interesting still.

The same story plays out over and over. You find success, you upgrade to .COM.

The few stories about going to .XYZ like Alphabet (Google) and Block (Square) are more like corporate umbrella sites, not consumer sites.

I mean has anyone actually visited ABC.xyz or Block.xyz? It is not like either company is giving up on their primary domains with the the traffic in Google.com and Square.com.

Brad
Agree...perhaps this could be the value prop of .xyz
.xyz as a holding company site if the .com is too expensive or not available ABC.COM & Block.COM would cost fortunes if they even agreed to sell, so why not use .xyz for a site to present mainly to investors, shareholders

•••
Whether you guys don’t want to admit it or not, the usage of block.xyz by a company who could get whatever they want is a major sign of the times that domainers don’t want to face— crypto and blockchain people love this extension particularly single dictionary word.

The younger gens do not care about the old foggy dot com. Swetha sales should make that exceedingly clear. We are in a new age and only one party can function on a dot com.

A few developed xyz other than block:

Beacon.xyz

Mesh.xyz

Frontier.xyz

Propel.xyz

Props.xyz

Motive.xyz

Switchboard.xyz

Minty.xyz

Islands.xyz

Patron.xyz

Gateway.xyz

Pallet.xyz

Manifold.xyz

Agora.xyz

Birm.xyz

Is dot com still king? Of course but its not the status symbol it once was to people building companies in the crypto blockchain space.
Gateway, ooo. Like that one

•••
Whys xyz so addicting
Perhaps xfiles from fox way back

•••
This is funny because .xyz is affordable and the .com is not..

•••
We all know that .com is very famous than .xyz. The old domain that we are using is .com and know the new domain extension .xyz is getting bigger. Both can be used when it comes to your business and websites depending on how you can manage it.

•••
Any 3-word .com domain looks more decent and trustful than 1-word .xyz

•••
the world keeps changing gentlemen,
many years ago none could imagine S&P companies hodling BTC, but the reality proved to be different.

hence, the more versatile a TLD is, the broader acceptance it will get over time, the more adaptions and services will settle, the broader the acceptance...you get it. Already noticed commercial-ads on utube advertising products backed on .xyz websites?

( I am pretty sure, your kids don't pay attention to TLDs when surfing the web, they won't be aware of the COM as they grow up. )

The question of tomorrow, is rather, if ICANN & central DNS will still exist...I doubt it.

•••
the world keeps changing gentlemen,
many years ago none could imagine S&P companies hodling BTC, but the reality proved to be different.

hence, the more versatile a TLD is, the broader acceptance it will get over time, the more adaptions and services will settle, the broader the acceptance...you get it. Already noticed commercial-ads on utube advertising products backed on .xyz websites?

( I am pretty sure, your kids don't pay attention to TLDs when surfing the web, they won't be aware of the COM as they grow up. )

The question of tomorrow, is rather, if ICANN & central DNS will still exist...I doubt it.
no one never will build a serious business and brand on .xyz
I have no idea who is behind this bubble, but it is a bubble
I can bet all these .xyz buyers are companies with a budget for SEO and promo campaigns and they spend no money from their pocket..
the only insane individuals will pay more than a few dozens for .xyz

and for domainers who now will tell me a hater, I leave here 1 question.
what is a perfil of this .xyz buyer who pays thousands for .xyz crap?
who is he? domainer? seriously? a domainer who pays 70k for .xyz and hoping to sell it for more?
big company?
why just not pay much less for a good .com?
I have no idea and don't want to know who is lying here and who is the crazy psycho paying 70k for crap, but before calling me a hater, leave here a reason for spending or investing in .xyz - the extension which is associated only with spam and scam.

•••
Whys Xyz So Addicting i mean you almost cant even browse the forum without getting distracted by these xyz posts

Furthurmore most people say bad things about it

Also what happen to the delete all button this has been over the top

•••
Whys Xyz So Addicting i mean you almost cant even browse the forum without getting distracted by these xyz posts

Furthurmore most people say bad things about it

Also what happen to the delete all button this has been over the top

Success makes people hate you !

•••
Can any one tell me about main difference between .com and .xyz regarding marketing or SEO ?
Nothing too big of a difference. The extension of your site is .com because it is a commercial website. This is the basic extension. The domain extension xyz is uncommon. Though your visibility in search is not affected.

•••
no one never will build a serious business and brand on .xyz
I have no idea who is behind this bubble, but it is a bubble
I can bet all these .xyz buyers are companies with a budget for SEO and promo campaigns and they spend no money from their pocket..
the only insane individuals will pay more than a few dozens for .xyz

and for domainers who now will tell me a hater, I leave here 1 question.
what is a perfil of this .xyz buyer who pays thousands for .xyz crap?
who is he? domainer? seriously? a domainer who pays 70k for .xyz and hoping to sell it for more?
big company?
why just not pay much less for a good .com?
I have no idea and don't want to know who is lying here and who is the crazy psycho paying 70k for crap, but before calling me a hater, leave here a reason for spending or investing in .xyz - the extension which is associated only with spam and scam.

First, I apologize for graveyard digging this conversation; however, I have registered to give my voice which will be a very different opinion.

Now, This whole forum and community are effectively dedicated to the ICANN ecosystem. Most here are incentivized to value .com and everything ICANN does as it pays their bills or, frankly.. is what got them rich. That is fine, but it also means those to whom it DOES apply should not have rose-colored glasses and ignore what the future will bring. ICANN has only existed for 25 years, and frankly, that is small in the bigger picture. That is around the time of the first .com boom too.

Next, I am part of the "crypto"/"web3" community. If anyone wants to argue it's a scam or a waste of time, I will freely agree that crypto IS a scam... But so is money, as it is just a proxy to barter. It all comes down to your worldview on how you think society should operate, and those in web3 want to have the internet more open than it is now. As for web3, from my POV, it combines blockchain with existing p2p networks that have existed for at least a decade (Tor, BitTorrent, and others).

Next, I am a web3 "builder" for both trying to create a better web and starting a small business for myself long term. I consider myself a political moderate as well in the spectrum of ideology.

That is a bit of background.

Now, know that my web3 project uses a .com, but I also own .net, .org, .io, and .xyz domains. They all have a purpose. .com here is what everyone (including boomers) would expect it to be. But I also use other TLDs to target different audiences.

For example, I own defiforum.xyz and web3forum.xyz as future community projects. But my primary brand name is a .com to ensure everyone can access it. But I also have .net and .org reserved.

Then there are "blockchain domains". I own a lot of these. Some will be high-value in the future and will be used rather than flipped.

Those who see all of this as a waste of time (web3, and .xyz which web3 is adopting), I would again argue that their money and livelihood based on the past two decades are talking, and they are sticking their head in the sand. I am innovating and pushing to improve the web and not just act like British Wizards in Harry Potter who would instead go backward in time cause their grampa thought it was a good idea. For those not Potterheads, that means thinking older thoughts are better as they are more established than innovating with the future.

I hope people here take this opposite POV thoughtfully and don't try to have a knee-jerk reaction. I am purposefully deep in ICANN on multiple TLDs and on what is being built.

I am also aware I have talked more about web3 than .xyz (the subject here); however, they are very connected community and brand wise, and anyone who wants to dismiss .xyz will need to dismiss web3 to justify their arguments that .com is king and a "Rolex" so they can keep their business running. For me, web3 is blockchain domains, so long-term, ICANN becomes irrelevant, but there has to be an education and transition period too, so .xyz gets used for crypto-native audiences as long as it is needed for ICANN users (web2).

Kudos.

•••
Next, I am a web3 "builder" for both trying to create a better web and starting a small business for myself long term. I consider myself a political moderate as well in the spectrum of ideology.
What projects do you have running now? What are the domains?

•••
Domain extensions may no longer carry the same weight in SEO that they used to, but .com has no rivals when it comes to brand recognition. Pretty much everyone is familiar with .com, while the same can't be said for .xyz

•••
What projects do you have running now? What are the domains?
Right now... The project is primarily on lumeweb.com with .net and .org redirecting. Someone ironically decided to squat .xyz and sell to me for $1200, but I am A. I am not supporting extortion, and B. am not interested in .xyz for the brand name, given that I am trying to get both new and old people in. But the project is doing a lot of open community-crowdfunded education, ideally, this year, which are on .org names.

No sites are active on .xyz yet. And if you want to use that as justification.. know that my project is only a year old, and I only have two websites currently online as I am in R&D mode as a builder and not doing marketing or website content heavily right now.

Overall I am using TLDs based on brand audiences. For example... I own web3browser.io, web3extension.io, and web3relay.io, which are targeted at younger people and are still seen as legitimate. Though I own web3extension.com as well, it will become a redirect in the future.

Oh, and unrelated, but while some argue that .xyz is spam. I would argue that .top has an even worse spam association 🙃.

•••
Domain extensions may no longer carry the same weight in SEO that they used to, but .com has no rivals when it comes to brand recognition. Pretty much everyone is familiar with .com, while the same can't be said for .xyz
And the same can be said for crypto, web3, and anything "geeky" that can't be accessed in 2 clicks. Its more about what is to come, not what the current state is.

•••
The only difference is the extension. .com everyone loves ❤ and xyz everyone loves to hate.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back