IT.COM

discuss Difference between .com and .xyz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hareemadil100

Established Member
Impact
Can any one tell me about main difference between .com and .xyz regarding marketing or SEO ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What's the difference between a Rolex and a Timex? They both tell time.

.COM works the same way .XYZ does. .XYZ also works the same way .horse does.

.COM is more valuable because it is known by everyone, credible, and is in a dominant position from usage for the last 3+ decades.

Companies spend a collective trillions a year in marketing their .COM domains. Nothing else is even close.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
This is my take on the difference.
Most people will know .com, most people will not know .xyz.

•••
The perspective people carry now is that .xyz is for web3 :)
Most of these web3 projects will fail, just like .COM startups did.

Of the small amount that succeed, the majority will eventually upgrade to .COM.

We have seen this time and time again. When companies have the opportunity to acquire the .COM, they almost always do.

Also, way more companies including "web3" companies use .COM than any other extension.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
A dot com in 2022 is not actually inherently better than the same word in another extension. Its what you make of it.
Well, that is your opinion but reality says something different.

You have terms like TV and Fitness selling for 4 figure re-seller prices in .XYZ. They would sell for millions in .COM because of the credibility they would instantly bring.

I would bet you almost every .XYZ company would trade their domain for the same term in .COM if it was available.

Again .XYZ works the same way as .COM, just like .XYZ works the same way as .Horse. There is a lot more to valuation than just how an extension technically works.

I sell many secondary extensions BTW like NET/ORG/US and others. I am not against other extensions, there is just no comparison to .COM.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Formerly I works as SEO at local company and manage several clients. According to real results on Google SERP , there isn't difference com or xyz or whatever extension.

SEO is about to rank your site with targetted keyword, beat competitor and follow search engine algorithm properly. We should follow all google rule to get the best result, its not easy , need smart strategy month to month or day by day.

.com, net , org and xyz are a global extension, they have same opportunity to reach the best rank in google, bing ,yahoo, etc. Rank isn't determine by any extension, but its follow search engine rule, natural backlinking process, quality of content , user experience, and real time engagements .

The only different is when we should compete with ccTLD like .us , uk, de and other cctld. I usually recommend local small business to use cctld, but secure .com to protect their brand. Cause based my experience website with ccTLD could rank higher locally with same SEO effort.

For small business , local oriented : ccTLD is good option when other extension gone.

For Global Company : avoid ccTLD is better, that's why facebook use facebok.com, google use google.com , amazon use amazon.com, etc.

XYZ is good extension too, its similar with .com, .net ,org, .life , .club and other global extension. But we can't ignore the real fact, almost international company usually choose .com as their official website names

FYI : I am sorry for my bad english...

•••
Whether you guys don’t want to admit it or not, the usage of block.xyz by a company who could get whatever they want is a major sign of the times that domainers don’t want to face— crypto and blockchain people love this extension particularly single dictionary word.

The younger gens do not care about the old foggy dot com. Swetha sales should make that exceedingly clear. We are in a new age and only one party can function on a dot com.

A few developed xyz other than block:

Beacon.xyz

Mesh.xyz

Frontier.xyz

Propel.xyz

Props.xyz

Motive.xyz

Switchboard.xyz

Minty.xyz

Islands.xyz

Patron.xyz

Gateway.xyz

Pallet.xyz

Manifold.xyz

Agora.xyz

Birm.xyz

Is dot com still king? Of course but its not the status symbol it once was to people building companies in the crypto blockchain space.

•••
I could say there is no difference between a .com and .xyz.
Both have same options.
.com is the legacy extension. Thats it.
However... there still are some hurdles with regard to Email deliverability, SMS deliverability, User perception, Firewalls, and Social Media networks. This is the case for a lot of new gtlds, including .xyz.

For .xyz, a nice writeup of problems encountered with the extension can be found in this article:

https://www.spotvirtual.com/blog/the-perils-of-an-xyz-domain/

(article mentioned earlier in another thread as well).

Last edited:
•••
I block .xyz from my servers. Since they more or less gave them away all I've ever seen coming from this extension is spam. Never a single legitimate email.

•••
There isn't really any such thing as an SEO friendly domain. In the past EMD (exact match domains) were useful for getting higher on Google. However nowadays Google knows so much about the content and can examine the traffic flows through a website that the domain name itself is quite useless as a signal to them when ranking results. If you have a good site with a bad name you won't be penalised... after all what is a bad name? Tiktok is a bad name imho, so is Twitch (it's non-descriptive), but they're both popular because of their content.

With regards to .XYZ vs .COM for marketing, radio, TV or billboards for instance. Obviously if you want the best chance of the highest number of people visiting your site, it needs to be as recognisable and as memorable as possible... for me .COM is the obvious choice because it's baked into the back of people's minds, even that of your Granny at this point. .XYZ is new new extension that not many people know about, the numbers kind've speak for themselves...

.XYZ https://www.google.com/search?q=site:.xyz 311,000,000 results (3 million)
.ME https://www.google.com/search?q=site:me 6,030,000,000 results (6 billion)
.COM https://www.google.com/search?q=site:com 11,810,000,000 results (11 billion)

But that's not to say that you can't create a stellar brand on any domain extension if you provide a service that's good enough and the content is something that people want.

.XYZ has been considered to be a source of a lot of spam in the past, not sure what the state of it is now but they were sold for very cheap at first which will not have helped the situation.

•••
Can any one tell me about main difference between .com and .xyz regarding marketing or SEO ?
There are many differences between .xyz and .com for both general marketing and S.E.O. as a subset of digital marketing. Although I will pre-qualify my list below with content is king so any domain name extension ( unless totally unrelated or irrelevant ) is far less important than what's hosted on it. That said, here's my response:
  • .com is internationally known while .xyz is not well known outside the domaining community - that's just a simple fact of life and cannot be reasonably argued
  • Customers are far more likely to click a .com than a .xyz ( both listings being equal ) because .com is more well known than .xyz
  • .com looks far more professional as an e-mail address than .xyz
  • .com gives the impression of brand ownership while .xyz does not
  • Trading off an .xyz suggests you couldn't afford the .com
  • Google's algorithm is far more likely to consider a .com website as American based than .xyz even if .com is used all over the world
  • .com is far less confusing to customers than .xyz

•••
To suggest .com is going to be abandoned is just silly.

It is almost as good as Frank Schilling's "AM radio" comment regarding .Com from 8+ years ago, as he continued to bid tens of thousands daily for expired .Com domains.

Since then .COM registrations and websites have continued to grow dramatically. There are as many .COM Alexa top 1M sites as the thousands of other extensions combined.

Last time I checked 490+ Fortune 500 companies used .COM.

Yeah, they are just going to be abandoned, especially for an extension that has "premium" renewals for most great terms. :)

.XYZ is going against .NET, .IO, .CO, and whatever other secondary extensions for market share. There is no comparison to .COM though.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Having invested in both….trying to be fair…..xyz is very cheap to register but sale-through rate is much lower than .com…..

•••
1. (.xyz) is a SPAM magnet (growing concern among startups)
2. Businesses will need to upgrade to (.com) eventually, or rebrand
3. All roads lead to (.Com) eventually

•••
I could say there is no difference between a .com and .xyz.
Both have same options.
.com is the legacy extension. Thats it.

•••
In my opinion .com is used to be traditional branding options, a year ago I think if I make up a brand name like Facecook and then reg Facecook.xyz waiting for the sale but what would happened if a end user chooses Facecook.com then? At that time the .xyz looks a little bit illegitimate for branding to me, I was hard to find a branding option for it but I did see an opportunity that the new generations will love it for a reason as at least I could see that gap between me & my father that he didn’t understand something from my generation that looks something random to him. Now things are more clearer than before the .xyz completed the definition for Web3, Crypto, NFT usage and next definitely is for VR the whole new world in the internet that must combine with blockchain and especially XYZ can refer to 3 dimensions.

An other difference is a dictionary word .com cost millions of $ why not use .xyz? It’s better than a country code tld I think.

Last edited:
•••
.com is Bitcoin, .xyz is Dogecoin.

Last edited:
•••
Good spot. Although I type .xyz domain for first time and .xyz domain safe comes up third and .xyz domain spam comes up tenth. Change it to " is .xyz ... " and every result is about trust

is .xyz domain good
is .xyz safe
is .xyz a valid domain
is .xyz legit
is .xyz domain safe
is .xyz domain free
is .xyz good
is .xyz a top level domain
To be fair, try to change "xyz" to "com" and see what it shows.

•••
no one never will build a serious business and brand on .xyz
I have no idea who is behind this bubble, but it is a bubble
I can bet all these .xyz buyers are companies with a budget for SEO and promo campaigns and they spend no money from their pocket..
the only insane individuals will pay more than a few dozens for .xyz

and for domainers who now will tell me a hater, I leave here 1 question.
what is a perfil of this .xyz buyer who pays thousands for .xyz crap?
who is he? domainer? seriously? a domainer who pays 70k for .xyz and hoping to sell it for more?
big company?
why just not pay much less for a good .com?
I have no idea and don't want to know who is lying here and who is the crazy psycho paying 70k for crap, but before calling me a hater, leave here a reason for spending or investing in .xyz - the extension which is associated only with spam and scam.

First, I apologize for graveyard digging this conversation; however, I have registered to give my voice which will be a very different opinion.

Now, This whole forum and community are effectively dedicated to the ICANN ecosystem. Most here are incentivized to value .com and everything ICANN does as it pays their bills or, frankly.. is what got them rich. That is fine, but it also means those to whom it DOES apply should not have rose-colored glasses and ignore what the future will bring. ICANN has only existed for 25 years, and frankly, that is small in the bigger picture. That is around the time of the first .com boom too.

Next, I am part of the "crypto"/"web3" community. If anyone wants to argue it's a scam or a waste of time, I will freely agree that crypto IS a scam... But so is money, as it is just a proxy to barter. It all comes down to your worldview on how you think society should operate, and those in web3 want to have the internet more open than it is now. As for web3, from my POV, it combines blockchain with existing p2p networks that have existed for at least a decade (Tor, BitTorrent, and others).

Next, I am a web3 "builder" for both trying to create a better web and starting a small business for myself long term. I consider myself a political moderate as well in the spectrum of ideology.

That is a bit of background.

Now, know that my web3 project uses a .com, but I also own .net, .org, .io, and .xyz domains. They all have a purpose. .com here is what everyone (including boomers) would expect it to be. But I also use other TLDs to target different audiences.

For example, I own defiforum.xyz and web3forum.xyz as future community projects. But my primary brand name is a .com to ensure everyone can access it. But I also have .net and .org reserved.

Then there are "blockchain domains". I own a lot of these. Some will be high-value in the future and will be used rather than flipped.

Those who see all of this as a waste of time (web3, and .xyz which web3 is adopting), I would again argue that their money and livelihood based on the past two decades are talking, and they are sticking their head in the sand. I am innovating and pushing to improve the web and not just act like British Wizards in Harry Potter who would instead go backward in time cause their grampa thought it was a good idea. For those not Potterheads, that means thinking older thoughts are better as they are more established than innovating with the future.

I hope people here take this opposite POV thoughtfully and don't try to have a knee-jerk reaction. I am purposefully deep in ICANN on multiple TLDs and on what is being built.

I am also aware I have talked more about web3 than .xyz (the subject here); however, they are very connected community and brand wise, and anyone who wants to dismiss .xyz will need to dismiss web3 to justify their arguments that .com is king and a "Rolex" so they can keep their business running. For me, web3 is blockchain domains, so long-term, ICANN becomes irrelevant, but there has to be an education and transition period too, so .xyz gets used for crypto-native audiences as long as it is needed for ICANN users (web2).

Kudos.

•••
From what I have heard they have the mindset of main traditional business com. Metaverse,web 3, nft, crypto —xyz.

Again, this trend is only showing itself in one niche so far. Not enough to translate that into all niches but there is no doubt dictionary words in xyz io co etc are absolutely viable options over a super expensive dot com.
Dot xyz has a disadvantage in the international markets. Trying saying "dot xyz" in Spanish, for example.

•••

Companies That Upgraded Their Domain Names to .Com -​

https://www.embrace.com/companies-that-upgraded-their-domain-names/

Far from a complete list, but interesting still.

The same story plays out over and over. You find success, you upgrade to .COM.

The few stories about going to .XYZ like Alphabet (Google) and Block (Square) are more like corporate umbrella sites, not consumer sites.

I mean has anyone actually visited ABC.xyz or Block.xyz? It is not like either company is giving up on their primary domains with the the traffic in Google.com and Square.com.

Brad
We aren’t talking about huge monster corps who can acquire a com if they so chose. We are talking about everyone else.

Whats hard to understand about that this that you have to keep beating at the com drum instead of acknowledging that only one entity can have a dot com and there are alternates being utilized every day?

A dot com in 2022 is not actually inherently better than the same word in another extension. Its what you make of it.

Time to focus on the present and the future and not stubbornly hanging onto the past.

Everyone should be diversifying their investments to match the curent times. Guess Dorsey thought so too.

•••
Lol, so we've established that .com is more popular.

The difference between .xyz and .com, is that the .xyz buyers don't give a shit.

•••
Since I got so many downvotes for this I think I need to explain this a bit further, so this goes to all who downvoted my (above quoted) post (I absolutely respect your up - / down - votes, thank you for your feedback).

It is a FACT that (the word) "topic" always includes (the word) "top", even it is a topic about the difference between ".com" / ".xyz" and this can't be changed by (any amount of) downvotes.

Domain industry writer @James Iles even puts an extra "top" before "topic" in his weekly series "top topics", so he is publishing at least 2 "top" every week (about 8 top / month and about 100 top / year) and this no matter the content of his sum up and even if he won't include this thread in his series (which I assume as it probably includes too many "top" in his view as I believe), he will share 2 "top" at least but since this thread is about the difference between ".com" and ".xyz" maybe I am wrong in my assumption and he will decide to share it (we will see) as it is the most popular thread of this week.
The Topic is to compare .com and .xyz but you keep SPAMMING and PROMOTING your stupid .top everywhere. Shame on you!!!
Are you that desperate to sell your DEAD top names?
1642941467274.png

Last edited:
•••
The clock symbol indicates that you were searching for these terms, they are not a suggestion.
Good spot. Although I type .xyz domain for first time and .xyz domain safe comes up third and .xyz domain spam comes up tenth. Change it to " is .xyz ... " and every result is about trust

is .xyz domain good
is .xyz safe
is .xyz a valid domain
is .xyz legit
is .xyz domain safe
is .xyz domain free
is .xyz good
is .xyz a top level domain

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back