Dynadot

discuss Did you ever spend a bunch just because?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bought pledgeofallegiance.com today because I loved the name! I paid almost $5,000 and I don't care. I have no idea what it's worth and I don't really care right now.
Anyone buy a name just because you liked it or was it purely for profit?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
boughtjustbecause.com
Hand reg. few sec. ago thanks to you :)

•••
I never buy names 'just because'. I learned my lesson years ago.

Once I waited almost ten years for a domain to drop because I refused to pay the 3k the person wanted. It wasn't even worth near that much. Just a domain I used to have when I first started in 2001 and I wanted it back for nostalgic reasons. I finally got the name back for reg fee when it was finally dropped. :)

•••
I have spent about that much once on a name I just had to have. Friends and family thought I was crazy!
Sure I probably could have spent the money better elsewhere, but it was the name I wanted in the .com.

I think I did overpay at the time, but that was years ago and now it is probably worth more than I paid for it.

Last edited:
•••
lol I'm sweatin bullets over $2200. and you're dropping $5K on domains?

damn. puts me to shame for sure.

•••
I never buy names 'just because'. I learned my lesson years ago.

Once I waited almost ten years for a domain to drop because I refused to pay the 3k the person wanted. It wasn't even worth near that much. Just a domain I used to have when I first started in 2001 and I wanted it back for nostalgic reasons. I finally got the name back for reg fee when it was finally dropped. :)
I had similar experience with you. I was looking for a domain that i really liked, at that time it was available. I did a mistake and registered with one letter different , the word should have a "z" and i bought the spelling with "s". When i realized this, i tried to register the version that was the correct spelling. Unfortunately it was just registered couple of minutes ago. I contacted the owner , and he had offered the price as USD 10,000, i bargained low x,000, he refused. One year later i see this as an expiring domain, and it went to an auction. I was able to win at USD 165, which was much lower than USD 10,000 :)

•••
I have spent about that much once on a name I just had to have. Friends and family thought I was crazy!
Sure I probably could have spent the money better elsewhere, but it was the name I wanted in the .com.

I think I did overpay at the time, but that was years ago and now it is probably worth more than I paid for it.
That's awesome. I had been watching it and hoped it wouldn't be noticed but people bid it up. I love the name.
What name did you buy?

•••
That's awesome. I had been watching it and hoped it wouldn't be noticed but people bid it up. I love the name.
What name did you buy?

I purchased jajaja.com. It is how Spanish speakers say lol. I also picked up the .es for around $500 at the same time. The .com gets around 1000 type in a month and the .es around 100.

Your name is great for development, I can see you easily getting your investment back from ad revenue if you develop it.

Last edited:
•••
YES ... unfortunately :). But you sound happy, so bravo!

•••
•••
It is always necessary to see money in this business. I always see a profit of a domain before considering it. Never buy it because you like it.

•••
On life in general=yes
On a domain=not so much, I've actually been able to find a decent domain for any of my developed sites in the x-xxx range.

Next time you're looking to dump 5k+ though shoot me your request as well. :ROFL:

•••
5K on a name just because you liked it :xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek:

You guys must be on drugs :xf.smile::xf.grin::xf.wink:

•••
I remember seeing Drew Rosener, on D Sherpa, say he likes to collect names that came out a long time ago.

Late 80's or early 90's

Very, very old names.

I think he said he doesn't mind over paying for these names because he collects them.

I guess he can afford to do this??

•••
It is always necessary to see money in this business. I always see a profit of a domain before considering it. Never buy it because you like it.
That's how YOU think. I cant make money on my Denali but I bought. Sometimes you buys things as a want not a need.

•••
Nothing wrong with indulging "just because"! If you love something, go for it..
Mine was an aged .org, just because it fit nicely to a new G' I registered. I thought the juxtaposition the two names created alongside each other was very interesting. One is an olde-world registration, the other a new generation name, but together they accomplish the same idea.

infosci•org
goes to my
informed•science

•••
This is my money making hobby - not my living. I may think and react differently if my family had to live off domain money

•••
I did not spent x,xxx but regfee. I must off broke the sound barrier when I reached for my debitcard to register it. LOL!

The proper way of saying Domain Names in Spanish is "Nombres de Dominio"

When I look at Nombres de dominio is like I am seeing "Names Domain" being that "DE" is a stopword. To me it doesn't look or sound right. If you put Nombres after Dominio then to me it looks and sounds like Domain Names. It also rolls of the tongue easily when you say Dominio Nombres instead of saying Nombres Dominio.

When I registered the name I went to google translate to put the name just to see it translate to Domain Names.

•••
I still have some .com's from the late 90's. I call them my virgins. I don't think I will ever want to sell them :)

I hear in China it's popular to buy "just because" too.

Happy Hunting!

•••
I think the most main is your mood, if buy this domain name for yourself in a good mood, even if is worth 5000.I also have some favorite domain name, will be for a renewal.

•••
I just looked again, it was only $4,500. I already saved $500!

•••
I have hand regged names just because I liked the sound of them, that's what eventually led to me domaining. Not sure I'd ever spend big money for that reason though.

•••

But we are human.
Sometime we like something so much.
We are not always in bussiness.

•••
The highest I have paid is $5000 for Diamonds.de about 2 years back, a good but impulsive purchase. Have had only a few offers until now. This was near to when I started domaining.

On second thoughts, maybe I would have been better off betting that much on a single word COM domain. Could have turned it faster.

•••
I purchased jajaja.com. It is how Spanish speakers say lol. I also picked up the .es for around $500 at the same time. The .com gets around 1000 type in a month and the .es around 100.

Your name is great for development, I can see you easily getting your investment back from ad revenue if you develop it.
I bought orgy.es when I first started this a few years ago, I cant get rid of it. It sits.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back