IT.COM

.tv Demand Media Update & Clarifications

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi Everyone,

I just logged on and saw that there are some questions so I wanted to post some clarifications to help clear up any misunderstandings. I also wanted to share with you the press release that went out this AM about me.tv. And finally, give you a heads up that we are working on a re-cap of the first day of premium sales which I will share with this group as soon as it's final.

Okay, first, some clarification:
- Renewal Pricing: The price that is paid for a premium name is the same as the renewal price. So if you bought a name for $500, the renewal is $500. We are letting everyone know that this is subject to change, because we are not in control of this TLD. The price could be higher and the price could be lower. There is also the option to lock in the name at the set price for multiple years, but does require paying for it up front.
- Cost vs. Price: I also wanted to clarify this nuance because in my communications I have been telling folks that Verisign sets the "pricing". Well, to be clear, Verisign sets the cost and as a retailer, Demand Media/eNom can set the pricing. We believe that in order to drive sales, we need to keep as many premium names as possible at cost. So, in that regard, we are not setting the price, we are defaulting to the cost.

The ME.TV press release:
I don't think there is any new information, but just wanted to let the form know that it is out:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070502/20070502005879.html?.v=1

I will plan to post updates on the premium sales tonight or first thing tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best, Quinn

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
cybertonic said:
Hello Duke,

Thanks for the clarification.
Annyway there is no shame to write an article for a sponsor while what you are written it's true.
And I think that's the case.

DAMN!!!!

Quinn,

About that interview on Allthings I did for free.........any chance of us renegotiating a price after the fact??!!

•••
equity78 said:
TO MW I was talking about dev long before you came here but it is not for anyone Verisign or anyone else to tell someone we don't want you to park a domain.

Thats great but it didnt take me that long to figure it out either.
No, no one should be told what to do with there domains, you should do what you want.

However, my argument is, they are setting a pricing structure which in my opinion says "we want to encourage buyers who are serious developers" not domain investors who park and resell.

This is why I dont care what the premium fee's are.

Last edited:
•••
I guess it didn't take you long since you read it here Thank you

•••
equity78 said:
I guess it didn't take you long since you read it here Thank you

Well at least I pay attention

•••
knarfmusik said:
I can't believe anybody, even someone into developing domains, thinks paying $10,000 or more annually for a domain is ok.
Isn't it about branding and location? Is that worth something?

You can open a dress shop on Rodeo Drive or in a suburban strip mall. It can be called Dresses.tv or DoYouWantToBuyADressFromMyStore.com.

For those putting hundreds of thousands of dollars into development and maybe the same amount into advertising, $10000 is cheap "rent".

•••
MINDWRECKER.TV said:
They don't want reseller's, they want developers. They want people to buy a $10,000 domain that have access to loads of content to leverage.

yeah, they want developers. Not all developers have that kind of money. Do you ever think about new developers (with limited funds) that really interested in dot TV?

•••
mkylut said:
yeah, they want developers. Not all developers have that kind of money. Do you ever think about new developers (with limited funds) that really interested in dot TV?

Sure, and according to Equity 78, Im one of the new ones, and thats life, yes it sucks to not have enough, we all dont get what we want.

But instead of bitching and complaining, and rolling around in the swill,
I try to be innovative and make do with what I have.

There were plenty of great non-premium reggs available, even up until a little while ago.

My cars is having issues and im still regging!!!

Maybe that is because im from Maine and im use to it...

•••
Well if someone wants to develop and they have a great idea they don't need the Generic Premium IMO. If you have a great idea to develop then reg a domain or look for a non premium here post a domain wanted ad.

I am not sure how many people here are "rich" I certainly am not. I have always said to people Quality over Quantity. I own 2 premiums CMT SIX and 4 WET YAA($50) TFW ($50) SD they are apart of Equity BLue which is westblock and my LLC. I just sold Mudwrestling.tv for $650. a domain I think by Demand Media's standard could have been a $500 premium.

I approached .tv as an extension I thought would have traffic I regged LCD.tv for $30 a classic mistake on Verisign's part I sold that and regged SIX.tv which should have been $5000 a year by Verisigns pricing seven.tv four.tv nine.tv (Nine Now regged) were all $5000
Six.tv makes $7 to $12 a day PPC pays for itself CMT and then some.
I own only 20 others I never believed in owning 50 ,100 200 + not for me good luck to those who do I have friends here that do and I wish them well with a bigger portfolio.

This is a different extension pricing , expectations on development etc...

The high priced premium renewals is an old story PRICING SUBJECT TO CHANGE IS A NEW STORY

•••
cybertonic said:
I contacted VeriSign and posted their response in NamePros.
They said that the pricing is NOT done by them but by the registrar ENOM!
And they invited me to contact ENOM to know about domain renewal pricing.

Buying remorse?

None of the buyers I purchased a great dot TV name these last 2 weeks told me about the renewal and I did not ask because I never imagine a registar was enough glouton to ask something more than $50 when he is selling the name itself for big dollars.

The first time I hear about a possible renewal rate over $50 was an hour about the premium dot TV be available for sale.
But I thought it was not real because the pricing was so absurd, I simply thought they was trying to convince me to not buy because maybe I will purchase the name they wanted, I was another competitor.

It's only after all this renewal rate buzz these days that I started to think that maybe these rumors about the crazy renewal rates was true.
This is why I contacted Verisign and yesterday I taken the decision to contact ENOM and ask full refund if the renewal rate is not normal.

These guys at NameMedia acted like scammers and I confirm again.
Why they did not inform buyers about these unusual renewal rates?

Is there someone from this company here?

I was suprised that you dint know the premium pricing the day you started the thread one hour before the release. Then I take the pain of explaining the premium pricing for you and you act as if you were really grateful and felt stupid about trying to register premiums.

http://www.namepros.com/dot-tv/322671-premium-dot-tv-renewal-cost.html

And then you come here and say all this----

[quote = cybertonic] "But I thought it was not real because the pricing was so absurd, I simply thought they was trying to convince me to not buy because maybe I will purchase the name they wanted, I was another competitor." [/quote]

Who the hell cares what you buy and there are so many premiums. You are no competitor unless you could have bought all of them before the release. How would you even be a competitor when you din't know about the .TV pricing ?

And for the last time .TV is only for developers, we need not be millionaires to own a few premium domains. I have loads of plans for my domain energy.tv (I would have had to shell in a couple of 100 thousand dollars to buy it if there was no premium pricing-- some domainer would have bought it and parked it for eternity). This premium pricing has given me an opportunity to pick up the domains I like for development.

The only problem I have is renewal fee going beyond my limit. I seriously dont see it happening. But, I shall cross the bridge when I come to it.

Last edited:
•••
Vimal said:
I was suprised that you dint know the premium pricing the day you started the thread one hour before the release. Then I take the pain of explaining the premium pricing for you and you act as if you were really grateful and felt stupid about trying to register premiums.

http://www.namepros.com/dot-tv/322671-premium-dot-tv-renewal-cost.html

And then you come here and say all this----

Who the hell cares what you buy and there are so many premiums. You are no competitor unless you could have bought all of them before the release. How would you even be a competitor when you din't know about the .TV pricing ?

And for the last time .TV is only for developers, we need not be millionaires to own a few premium domains. I have loads of plans for my domain energy.tv (I would have had to shell in a couple of 100 thousand dollars to buy it if there was no premium pricing-- some domainer would have bought it and parked it for eternity). This premium pricing has given me an opportunity to pick up the domains I like for development.

The only problem I have is renewal fee going beyond my limit. I seriously dont see it happening. But, I shall cross the bridge when I come to it.

Vimal, all I can say is good for you, your logic is very sound.
These pricing's have encourage development and protected against the majority of the good names being parked.

Good Luck with energy.TV that is a great name!

•••
Still worried about renewal, before you know it all .TV are all gone for you to invest. I owned some .TV before the relaunch and still paying the same renewal fees.

I know the concern of unknown renewal cost, but I believe eNom will not close their doors because of few $$$$ renewal issue. They still have the "real" premium names e.g. business.tv, news.tv, usa.tv and many more to milk the cow.

IMO

•••
I do not know if it's due to the mess I did but I have just been REFUNDED for all the Premiums purchased after May 1th.

ENOM Response:

=====================================

Typically, there are no refunds for domain registrations. On the page where you clicked the "buy now" button we do display a note that lets you know the renewal is the same as the buy now price as well as prices are subject to change.

We do want to work with you to resolve this issue and therefore have refunded your orders less a $240 processing fee.

I confirm they did it.
So thanks Enom/Demand Media for having be honnest/fair.

Now if you read here think about all the others future premium buyers that can do the same mistakes:
Put in bold and red the fact the renewal is the same as the acquisition price!
Because this high renewal pricing is NOT USUAL for the other extensions so nobody can imagine it.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
cybertonic said:
I do not know if it's due to the mess I did but I have just been REFUNDED for all the Premiums purchased after May 1th.

ENOM Response:

Typically, there are no refunds for domain registrations. On the page where you clicked the "buy now" button we do display a note that lets you know the renewal is the same as the buy now price as well as prices are subject to change.

We do want to work with you to resolve this issue and therefore have refunded your orders less a $240 processing fee.

I confirm they did it.

Now if you read here think about all the others future premium buyers that can do the same mistakes:
Because this high renewal pricing is NOT USUAL for the other extensions so nobody can imagine it.

I'm glad that they were understanding of the mistake and you were able to be refunded. Thank you for posting and letting us know.

•••
cybertonic said:

ENOM Response:

I confirm they did it.

congrats on getting the refund you were looking for.
question: how many premium domains did you get refunded for?
1? 5? 10?

I only ask because I know a few "others" that are considering refunds too...

Thanks.

are other people here considering getting a refund?

Last edited:
•••
Im glad you were able to get a refund, I think that shows class on the side of company, and reconfirms (at least for this situation) that the company is trying to operate with good business principals.

•••
I think the refunds set a bad precedent allowing for buyer's remorse and even .tv domain tasting.

We're all grown ups here so a little less crying about renewal fees please and can we put the idea of the "BIG SCAM" to bed now?

•••
I agree with you Exclusively.tv

Bad precedent to set, the fine print is there for all to read if you don't read well sorry but is not enom, Demand Media or anyone elses fault but your own in my opinion.

I hope a thankyou is sent to QDaly as I am sure she would have had something to do with the refund after reading what was being said here.

Last edited:
•••
I would have bet the house that CYBERTONIC would not have got a refund...so really glad I didn't!!

There is a huge difference between checking out renewal fees and seeking clarification on subject to change wording......

The fact is, Cybertonic was told by members of this forum what the deal was before he bought, and really is getting off the hook here when he shouldn't.

That being said, I am happy for him cause he got a great outcome for himself and why not allow him that peace of mind if he can get it......

Enom/DM is now bending over backwards to be accomodating - even when they would be fully justified not to in this case........I personally owe it to DM/Enom to recognise their new outlook on customer sevice since I was one of those who took a big swing at them in defence of OWNTHISDOMAINNOW!!

The irony of it all is that I was on DM's side on this case 100% already - they were under absolutely no obligation to return those premium payments......but perhaps by returning the money - DM is doing something beyond the individual customer - and that is - sending a message to all of us that they are taking their clients seriously ....and that is worth a whole lot more than what was refunded to CYBERTONIC

•••
a lot of you are giving DM "pats on the back" for giving him a refund...

don't you think it was APPROPRIATE since language on the registration page was changed (during the initial 3 days following launch) and the renewal price fiasco (getting mixed answers from staff and still unclear future pricing)?

perhaps DM doesn't want bad press... or lawyers... or blogosphere... or did I already mention "bad press" for the TLD? perhaps it was easier for them to give him a refund to to let him run loose... not all "bad publicity" is "good publicity"... especially for a re-launched TLD...

or perhaps he could've received a refund through his bank with or without DEMAND's approval? anyone think about that...

my bank told me that was my option if I chose to pursue it. I am getting less response from DM and spent considerably more than cybertonic (from what he's told me via pm)

tomorrow will be my final call to ENOM before I make my final decision on this TLD.

I like what they have planned for the future in terms of ME.TV, marketing, etc... I just don't know whether or not I fit into their vision of the future.

worst part is, I have some damn fine generics too...

•••
ALLTHINGS.TV said:
I would have bet the house that CYBERTONIC would not have got a refund...so really glad I didn't!!

There is a huge difference between checking out renewal fees and seeking clarification on subject to change wording......

The fact is, Cybertonic was told by members of this forum what the deal was before he bought, and really is getting off the hook here when he shouldn't.

That being said, I am happy for him cause he got a great outcome for himself and why not allow him that peace of mind if he can get it......

Enom/DM is now bending over backwards to be accomodating - even when they would be fully justified not to in this case........I personally owe it to DM/Enom to recognise their new outlook on customer sevice since I was one of those who took a big swing at them in defence of OWNTHISDOMAINNOW!!

The irony of it all is that I was on DM's side on this case 100% already - they were under absolutely no obligation to return those premium payments......but perhaps by returning the money - DM is doing something beyond the individual customer - and that is - sending a message to all of us that they are taking their clients seriously ....and that is worth a whole lot more than what was refunded to CYBERTONIC

I had this same feeling..i totally agree...

•••
cybertonic said:

ENOM Response:

I confirm they did it.

Good for you Cybertonic, I personally feel the powers that be are doing nothing positive for this extension with their rights to charge such high fees and doing just that. Even if I were rich, I wouldnt buy any of those premiums at those rediculous prices with renewals to match. As someone has mentioned, I'd use a non premium and work on buidling that up. And with the extra funds saved thats alot of advertising dollars. Youtube certainly wasnt a premium at reg date. Who needs em ;)

•••
HasRob said:
Good for you Cybertonic, I personally feel the powers that be are doing nothing positive for this extension with their rights to charge such high fees and doing just that. Even if I were rich, I wouldnt buy any of those premiums at those rediculous prices with renewals to match. As someone has mentioned, I'd use a non premium and work on buidling that up. And with the extra funds saved thats alot of advertising dollars. Youtube certainly wasnt a premium at reg date. Who needs em ;)

Ok..now we have all heard about you not being interested in registering premium names again & again...and about the 'RICH' in this thread and other threads...can you actually contribute anything other than this for a healthy discussion....

Demand Media Great Job !!!! though it was totally not required for you to do it..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back