Domain Empire

discuss Deal gone bad!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I came across this article by Elliot Silver, titled 'I like closing deals quickly' and though the article has already been shared, I'd like to share Eric's comment on the same:

"I have to agree. It seems that a high percentage of this industry is “Impulse Buying”. As we all know, when it comes to such an impulsive purchase, buyers remorse sets in not too long after. If one lets a potential buyer think too long on a deal before closing it, it will more than likely fall through the cracks for the same reason.

Like with any other sales related positions, always remember your “ABC’s” (Always Be Closing). It might help if some resellers visited a used car lot and listened to some of the seasoned salesmen for a couple hours trying to sell them a car. While it may not be targeted to this industry, it will at least give them the hands on experience of quick, hard closing tactics. From there, they could tweak the pitches and rebuttals it to work for them."

I very much agree with the impulse buying part. It's been a personal experience.

I was discussing the sale of a hand-reg name that I bought 2 days ago and one of the leads offered to pay $600 for the same.
However, I was stern on the pricing of $1,299 and wouldn't sell below that. In the meantime, the buyer kept on discussing a lot of stuff, saying that he'd buy it at $700 or so instantly. However, he'd have to make a decision depending on his pocket, if the price is above $$$$.

We happened to discuss the entire episode for like 3 months, when he said NO! I loosened myself a bit on the pricing now but he was long gone.

My Thought Process:

The reason I didn't compromise on the pricing is because I mostly deal in hand-reg names and thought that I was selling my names way below what they are worth. As this was a good name, I kept myself stern on the pricing.

Take Away:

As Eric mentioned, always be closing! If you are getting good ROI on a name, it's usually better to take those deals and proceed with the next one.
If you miss out on a good deal, more than the money, it's your psychology and thought process that gets disturbed.

Kindly share your views and thoughts on this, and also if you have had any such previous experiences!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Same feelings here (should have sold those 2 domains). Now, buyer is not responding. lesson learnt.

•••
I have been having the opposite problem this year. I have had a huge percentage of the offers that I accept, never follow through with paying me. Many of them just disappear and never even show me the courtesy of replying back to me at all. It is so rude and unprofessional.

•••
My situation: one domain ( nice brandable .com ), 3 offers from 3 different persons in 3 weeks.

1. Someone send me offer $100, I returned $680, buyer disapiared

2. Someone ask "how much" My answer $700, no response from him.

3. Someone send me an offer $500, I accepted, no response from the buyer.

1 and 2 was via undeveloped, 3 via email from my website.

Usually I'm trying to close the deal fast, but in situation like this what can I do better???

Last edited:
•••
My situation: one domain ( nice brandable .com ), 3 offers from 3 different persons in 3 weeks.

1. Someone send me offer $100, I returned $680, buyer disapiared

2. Someone ask "how much" My answer $700, no response from him.

3. Someone send me an offer $500, I accepted, no response from the buyer.

1 and 2 was via undeveloped, 3 via email from my website.

Usually I'm trying to close the deal fast, but in situation like this what can I do better???
Vulcan mind meld? :alien3:

•••
not anything you can do about window shoppers, a lot of people ask the price of something than leave. You have to wait til the hook is in, then pull....

•••
This is great advice.

If you aren't converting then it's one of two things; you domain selection, or your handling of sales communications.

This applies for both flips and long term high value holds.

•••
I completely agree with this if you receiving good roi take the money and move on to a better one or a few more names. Use the money as a stepping stone if you dont need to use for other purposes i always ask my self if I can buy better with the money if I can't I won't sell. Sometimes not taking the money right away will lead to silence and no deal.

•••
Reading all of those stories reminds me a little bit of myself.

Some times ago I also always countered back with high prices (but also with meaningful explanations) and rarely got an answer or a just a short 'no, thanks' on some of my inquries.

I thought "I am doing this things wrong, I need different techniques ..."

So I started trying everything from A to Z, in the main time asking back how much the interested party could offer though (since I thought now my prices would always scare the potential buyer to get in contact with me again).

.. BUT also the same game again.

Someone who wrote in their first mail: "we would be highly interested to acquire your domain" always answered in his 2nd mail like: "oh, ehm, we decided with our team to not buy your domain".

A few lines earlier I wrote that this happens on some of my inquiries, on some ..

I just came to the conclusion that this type of 'buyers' are not serious people.

People like 'cool domain, what, that's for sale? Well, since asking is free and anyhow I have nothing to do at the moment, why not send an inquiry', people who stays at hours in your shop, overrun you with questions and ask for foretastes, but still leave you without buying anything. You just have to deal with it.

Someone who is serious and really interested in your domain will always try to stay in contact with you, or to negotiate with you, even when you act like a moron.

Of course, that is my subjective perception, and even due to my mentioned ascertainment, this does not influence my attitude that I still take anyone serious on the same level.

Last edited:
•••
I have been having the opposite problem this year. I have had a huge percentage of the offers that I accept, never follow through with paying me. Many of them just disappear and never even show me the courtesy of replying back to me at all. It is so rude and unprofessional.

I have this happen often as well.....when I did get a reply from one guy he explained to me that he was a web developer and he was trying to sell the domain to his client at a small profit off course.....His client was keen at first thats when he decided to contact me and negotiate a price with me and then went back to his client.... his client decided against it eventually so the deal never happened...

I'm assuming that maybe this scenario is quiet common and could explain the high amount of sales dropping off at the last minute.

•••
Completely depends on the situation and planning but accepting an offer with decent ROI is no doubt positive as it let's you continue with pace.

•••
Ok how about this scenario. You agreed on a deal as a buyer, you go through escrow and paying via bank transfer, waiting for the funds to clear (3-5 days international).
Within that time the deal has been called off from the seller saying the name is no longer available.
You learn that the name was sold for considerably more elsewhere. Domainer reputation out the window.
Anyone experience this?

•••
sometimes the buyer after showing a lot of interest do not respond after a while

•••
happens. you must be careful with the price you're quoting. too high, and they lose faith in getting a good bargain

•••
Well that is some good advice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back