Dynadot

What is the meaning of unlimited?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cindyfowler

Account Closed
Impact
many hosting website often say unlimited disk space and bandwidth,but anything is unlimited,i dont understand the meaning of unlimited,who can
explain it for me?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To put it in a very simple way, the governing policy on these accounts is use as much as you want or can, as long as you don't impede out ability to put and maintain x accounts on the server.

In a number of cases though, there will be all sorts of rules and limits designed to keep your actual usage in check.

Don't read unlimited as infinite.

•••
yes. unlimited is diffrent, infinite is diffrent stuff

•••
It's just a marketing technique, and one that is dishonest in my humble opinion.

It *suggests* that the person can use as much space and bandwidth as they want, but in truth there'll be lots of conditions (such as CPU usage rules) attached, as ldcdc says.

•••
"Unlimited" it is a marketing trick. As you can imagine web hosts can not sell "unlimited disc space". Unfortunately most of those who claim to provide "all unlimited" put some restrictions in their TOS.

•••
With web hosting companies, there is no such thing as unlimited diskspace or bandwidth, there is always a limit. Web hosting companies tend to say unlimited to attract customers by providing false information to their customers. I strongly not recommend hosting a high traffic website on an unlimited hosting service.

•••
We provide virtually unlimited disk space and bandwidth for our customers. However, we do not offer unlimited CPU usage.

If customer does not host copyrighted files and does not abuse server (by sending phishing emails, for example), his account NEVER gets suspended.

We have customers who use hundreds of GB of space without any problems. If we run out of space, we just mount new disk drive on server. New disk drives are pretty cheap today

•••
We provide virtually unlimited disk space and bandwidth for our customers. However, we do not offer unlimited CPU usage.

If customer does not host copyrighted files and does not abuse server (by sending phishing emails, for example), his account NEVER gets suspended.

We have customers who use hundreds of GB of space without any problems. If we run out of space, we just mount new disk drive on server. New disk drives are pretty cheap today
So you'd allow a customer to upload (say) 10 TB's worth of data - so $xxx worth of disk-space - as long as they don't negatively impact on the CPU? I understand your argument that hard drives are cheap, but "unlimited" hosts would lose *lots* of money if they actually given xxx GB or xxxx GB of disk-space to their customers?

Edit: I'm confused... you started this thread, asking what unlimited meant? :S

Last edited:
•••
That is yours. To accept or not accept such kind of the offers. From one hand that good idea to work witout limits but if you are really huge better look at VPS or dedicated server

•••
The term "Unlimited" is a gimmick used by web hosting companies to garner customers.

•••

That is what Dan explained in his post.

tristanperry said:
I'm confused... you started this thread, asking what unlimited meant? :S
Same from here. May be he want to explain what unlimited means/it exists in fact in hosting ;)

•••
They just oversell their space to too many people. theres nothing like unlimited but they know that no one is going to use that much of space or bandwidth. i,personally have used at most 20GB space and not more than that.

•••
Unlimited doe snot exist

Really if unlimited actually existed why wouldn't CNN just move their data over and toast whomever they picked to provide unlimited hosting. Its not truly unlimited.

•••
There is more to 'Unlimited' webhost that just a marketing gimmick. There are web host companies that price plans based on different disk space and bandwidth capacity. This really will vary for web host providers, if we can just take GoDaddy.com example (as of today), they have three web host plans:

- Economy ($5/ month)
10 GB Space | 300 GB Transfer

- Deluxe ($7/ month)
150 GBSpace | 1,500 GB Transfer

- Unlimited ($15/ month)
Unlimited Space and Transfer!

Now as other's pointed out, Unlimited means as long as you adhere to their T&C and accept a fair use policy. If you offer a legitimate service that requires to store huge video/ audio files, then it may well be accepted by web host provider. But not something like you use the service as backup for your personal data.

There are other companies like us, who instead of offering plans above, have a just a single 'Unlimited' plan priced at well under $5/ month. DiskSpace is cheap but CPU is not and even in above Economy/ Deluxe plans I believe you still don't get right to use unlimited CPU.

At the end, like many things 'Unlimited' may be marketing gimmick, but not unfair as long as T&C are disclosed clearly. After all you would see many things come with a tag- *Conditions Apply.

•••
Nice discussion here. I suppose everyone accept that in the way he or she would like to and that's it

•••
I would definitely say that it is a marketing gimmick. There is no way you could put unlimited amount on data on a limited amount of hard drive space. There are some positives to it, but usually it is just to draw customers up to the higher priced packages because they think they are going to use that much data or bandwidth.

•••
The word "unlimited" is a shameless and dishonest gimmick to get people to buy hosting. There really is no such thing as unlimited disk space or bandwidth, because the companies selling hosting have limits in the first place. If you read the fine print with many of these services, it says they can suspend or cancel your account at any time for any reason. This is what they do when one of the sites starts using a lot of resources. Seriously, no shared hosting plan for $5 can handle 5 TB worth of files and 1 TB of monthly transfer.

•••
The word "unlimited" is a shameless and dishonest gimmick to get people to buy hosting. There really is no such thing as unlimited disk space or bandwidth, because the companies selling hosting have limits in the first place. If you read the fine print with many of these services, it says they can suspend or cancel your account at any time for any reason. This is what they do when one of the sites starts using a lot of resources. Seriously, no shared hosting plan for $5 can handle 5 TB worth of files and 1 TB of monthly transfer.

I wish every potential customer understand that in the way like you do

•••
I guess there need to be some sort of regulations in this industry. Most hosts who offer unlimited space and bandwidth host as much as 1000 domains in a single box with 360 GB hard disk. This is purely a lie and cheating the customer.

•••
I guess there need to be some sort of regulations in this industry.

That is a good thing as far as customers are concerned. But I don't think it is an easy thing to make such regulations. Any way as the customers become more experienced, they will understand what are their exact needs and what are the tricks and gimmicks in the industry.

•••
I guess there need to be some sort of regulations in this industry.
I suppose that could be done within one or 2 countries but not world wide. Internet is worldwide structure. And I suppose that would be impossible to control everything around the world

•••
"unlimited" term is used mainly for marketing tricks . It mainly *suggests* that the person can use as much space and bandwidth as they want, but in truth there'll be lots of conditions (such as CPU usage rules) attached, as ldcdc says.

•••
many hosting website often say unlimited disk space and bandwidth,but anything is unlimited,i dont understand the meaning of unlimited,who can
explain it for me?

If you see such offer and have quite big web site you can ask your prospective web host what if you host that big site with them? Would they limit you?
I deem these question will help you

•••
explain it for me?
Doesn't that mean which has no limit on it? :)

•••
I would advice you not to host your site on a hosting claimed to be "unlimited" or "unmetered". They are all pretty FAKE. When you reach a certain limit of usage/storage, then they will ask you to move to VPS or Dedicated server otherwise they "BAN" you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back