IT.COM

#1 (permalink) what is the meaning of unlimited?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cindyfowler

Account Closed
Impact
many hosting website often say unlimited disk space and bandwidth,but anything is unlimited,i dont understand the meaning of unlimited,who can
explain it for me?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They are oversellers. Sell more then they have.

•••
Just read the articles about overselling and I suppose you will understand everything

•••
Unlimited means no limits right? But in hosting scenario that is not achievable practically. Always they apply some limits in other forms like CPU/RAM usage.

•••
It's just a lie to get more customers.

There's no such thing as an unlimited hard-drive nor an unlimited-bandwidth internet connection, thus such terms cannot exist.

•••
A lot of companies say that "unlimited" means you won't have to worry about xceeding x amount of space and bandwidth. But, if you use too much, often times people get booted for using too much of the hosts resources.

•••
Still, you don't get an overusage fee. Some people were unlucky enough to be faced with thousands of dollars in overcharges when their site used hundreds of GBs more than allocated. Oops!

•••
In any case I suppose that is useful to ask web hosting company questions like: "what if.... "

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back