IT.COM

information [DAN] New Features: Import LTO Transactions and Auto-Opt-In Distribution

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just got this email from DAN -

We are delighted to let you know about two new updates to Dan.

Firstly, beginning March 16, Dan customers will be able to import Lease-to-Own transactions, charged at a 10% commission rate. This widely requested feature will be accessible through Dan’s Sales Activity page.

Secondly, we noticed customers opting into the Afternic distribution network, achieve higher sales volume. Given the commission is now the same irrespective of where the domain sells, we will be automatically integrating all Buy-It-Now listed domain names into the Afternic Distribution Network. If you prefer not to have your domains listed on Afternic from within Dan, you can opt out through your account settings page. It also will no longer be possible to maintain a different price across platforms. If you already have domain names listed with a custom Afternic price, we will update your Buy It Now price to the highest listing price across all platforms.

You can read more about these and other updates on the Dan blog.

Happy selling!

--------
EDIT - corrected beginning date to March 16, as per @LaszloSchenk

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am having mixed feelings about this.

•••
No currency exchange fix announced. So, is DAN "delighted" to sell 10,000 EUROs BIN listing on Afternic for USD $10,000? (10,000.00 Euros = 10,605.996 US Dollars as per xe.com)

As for automated listings on Afternic, no domain ownership check fix announced. So, all fake listings by fraudsters with BIN will now be distributed to afternic by default?

•••
For me is foreign language & to be honest i dont care if the fee is even 50%
Maybe @DAN.COM , @GoDaddy , @Afternic should implement a PREMIUM/GOLD/TOP service where they sell by find customers & charge 50% fee - i will apply , ex: from 1250$ sale . i will get 625$ is good enough for me
All i care is to sell my names but no sale or just one at 2-3 month each

Last edited:
•••
kill DAN step by step!
oh ,DAN ,Damn!

•••

Firstly, beginning March X, Dan customers will be able to import Lease-to-Own transactions, charged at a 10% commission rate. This widely requested feature will be accessible through Dan’s Sales Activity page.

Secondly, we noticed customers opting into the Afternic distribution network, achieve higher sales volume. Given the commission is now the same irrespective of where the domain sells, we will be automatically integrating all Buy-It-Now listed domain names into the Afternic Distribution Network. If you prefer not to have your domains listed on Afternic from within Dan, you can opt out through your account settings page. It also will no longer be possible to maintain a different price across platforms. If you already have domain names listed with a custom Afternic price, we will update your Buy It Now price to the highest listing price across all platforms.

Happy selling!
Good day everyone,

We noticed a slight formatting error in the messaging. To clarify, the Lease-to-Own importer and auto-opt-in will be available today (March 16th)!

Have a great day.

•••
•••
Good day everyone,

We noticed a slight formatting error in the messaging. To clarify, the Lease-to-Own importer and auto-opt-in will be available today (March 16th)!

Have a great day.
Laszlo,

Whilst you are here please could you clarify the fact that the maximum lease term for an imported LTO is only 12 months as opposed to the maximum 60 months for all other LTOs.

Thank you.

Rgrds,

Redd

•••
Well, well, well..."automatic opt-in" sounds familiar: Netsol did that with automatic .xyz account stuffing.

So far, the global setting for opting in/out of the Afternic distribution network appears to retain the setting we select. However, a new data column named "Afternic price" contains the BIN prices of domains listed at Dan. These prices are grayed out if the in/out switch is turned to OFF, apparently.

How soon will that option become obsolete, forcing all listings to Afternic? My guess, one product release.

•••
I cant even see what prices I have at dan on mobile. So mobile unfriendly
Panoramic mode unavailable for years now
I have to click on individual names to see the price? FF21601F-D478-40C1-8C1E-490749C2B77D.png

•••
Well, well, well..."automatic opt-in" sounds familiar: Netsol did that with automatic .xyz account stuffing.

So far, the global setting for opting in/out of the Afternic distribution network appears to retain the setting we select. However, a new data column named "Afternic price" contains the BIN prices of domains listed at Dan. These prices are grayed out if the in/out switch is turned to OFF, apparently.

How soon will that option become obsolete, forcing all listings to Afternic? My guess, one product release.
@LaszloSchenk

My Dan page shows all of the Afternic prices grayed out and yet I have indicated that I want to..."List my domains on Dan.com & Afternic’s Distribution Network"

Please could you clarify if the is indeed wrong for this scenario.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Rgrds,

Redd

•••
Until yesterday all my domains were "No thanks, list my domains only on Dan.com"

But today, without informing me or asking my permission, they chose to opt for me, "List my domains on Dan.com & Afternic's Distribution Network"

No, thank you, but I prefer tom manage Dan and Afternic separately.

•••
I have no problem with Afternic, I just choose not to use it. I have praised Dan.com to great extent since they were still Undeveloped, but all this would change the moment such important CHOICES are removed from the platform.

•••
I cant even see what prices I have at dan on mobile. So mobile unfriendly
Panoramic mode unavailable for years now
I have to click on individual names to see the price?Show attachment 234000

Although I see your point, I would advise against managing anything via mobile. Despite any mobile optimization, you'd need an app for that, the way the Uni(registry) Market app worked.

Especially, I would not respond to offers via mobile! It's VERY EASY to fat-finger the accept button when you meant to decline.

•••
Anyways congrats to Reza, some people like to create things or businesses and sell them. Sounds more fulfilling than what I am doing.
I rarely turn my computer on so a responsive site is pretty mandatory, and a site worth millions should have this feature. Fat finger syndrome is not an issue for me.
I guess will be turning on my laptop tonite to see whats going on at dan, have no choice

•••
Although I see your point, I would advise against managing anything via mobile. Despite any mobile optimization, you'd need an app for that, the way the Uni(registry) Market app worked.

Especially, I would not respond to offers via mobile! It's VERY EASY to fat-finger the accept button when you meant to decline.
Good point. I'd also say that waiting until you have access to a desktop or laptop or tablet would give you more time to consider the offer so that decisions are not made in haste.

•••
I have no problem with Afternic, I just choose not to use it. I have praised Dan.com to great extent since they were still Undeveloped, but all this would change the moment such important CHOICES are removed from the platform.
Dan is likely at a critical juncture right now for credibility.

When I did a check of various keywords, and found about 60% of the listings on this spot check weren't even registered domains! Doesn't having any unregistered domain listings from renegade sellers a serious blow to their credibility? Does that increase the likelihood that a lead that you are about to import would like to deal with this company in a long-term contract?

Even when they finally decide to take the problem of fake sellers seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they will have caused irreparable harm to their their platform and the GoDaddy brand. And this affects those who list their legitimately registered domains there.

Imagine trying to sell them to the person who has already been burned by falling for one of these sales? Since most potential domain buyers likely aren't idiots, For the unregistered names, do you think if they figure this out before they put a bid in, that they are going to feel good about looking at any other listings?

If you had an experience where a car dealership tried to sell a used car that they didn't even own, that you would ever bother returning there? Or, if you went to an automechanic, and they tried to sell you a repair at 10 to 100X more than was necessary, that you would ever return there? Do you think that that victim or potential victim wouldn't share their experience to others, making sales much harder there?

So, yes, new features can be added that sound appealing. If some underlying, critical problems aren't addressed, though, do they really make that much of a difference?

Last edited:
•••
I went into Domain Automation Network and everything is make offer, afternic column says not listed and I got a banner asking me to opt into something I am already opted into via afternic, where my bin are
Everything looks good to me.

•••
Until yesterday all my domains were "No thanks, list my domains only on Dan.com"

But today, without informing me or asking my permission, they chose to opt for me, "List my domains on Dan.com & Afternic's Distribution Network"

No, thank you, but I prefer tom manage Dan and Afternic separately.

Same here - we had chosen to only sell on Dan but without asking first they were all listed on Afternic network. I again clicked the 'list only on Dan' button and for a few minutes it did that - then it reverted to Afternic network again. I did this another of times without any success. I chatted to Dan support and they assured me that our domains would be removed from Afternic network. But now most seem to be removed apart from 175 random domains that are shown as listed on Afternic. I don't have any confidence in listing them on Afternic network including Godaddy/123-reg as the prices are all over the place. Some of these 175 domains are 10% more than dan price - some are 20% less. Please Dan get us off the Afternic network! It's a real shame because the Dan platform was superb - but we'll have to remove our domains if we don't have our wishes and prices honoured.

•••
I also saw my account's setting toggled this morning. All domains that involved a BIN at Dan were also listed on Afternic. I had to turn off the switch again and these domains are no longer listed on Afternic, but the data is now most definitely stored on Afternic servers!

Apparently GoDaddy thinks it's "Ok" to ignore user settings. It believes "it's not a big deal" as we can turn the switch back off. Meanwhile, Afternic has sucked up all of our Dan domains directly without authorization.

Yes, I know they own both platforms, but that's not how it works legally: Company A has privacy terms that do not reference Company B.

Today's move is a disgrace. I don't expect @James Iles to get back with a reasonable response, because that decision to flip the switch was made by GoDaddy middle management; it's evident and shameful.

Last edited:
•••
Finally it shows 'not listed' on Afternic network for all our domain portfolio on Dan. That's a relief - must be sorted then.........................just one small problem - just checked a couple and they are still listed for sale on 123-reg and godaddy with BINs. So I would check some of your domains on various platforms to see if they are appearing for sale. It is completely random - some aren't listed - some are.

•••
Looks like all our domains are back on Dan only - I have put BINs back on our domains :)

•••

Firstly, beginning March 16, Dan customers will be able to import Lease-to-Own transactions, charged at a 10% commission rate. This widely requested feature will be accessible through Dan’s Sales Activity page.

Happy selling!

--------
EDIT - corrected beginning date to March 16, as per @LaszloSchenk
Last week, we noticed a synchronization issue while launching our Product Update #8. Work was conducted on Friday to rectify this issue. This work meant that for some users, Afternic Distribution Network opt-out settings weren’t saved.
This issue has been fully resolved, but if you did opt out of the Afternic Distribution Network last week, please verify the settings here: https://dan.com/users/settings/integrations

•••
As far i understand names listed with BIN at DAN can be sold via the afternic network but the sale will be processed at DAN.
I use different company to sell at DAN and Afternic, when listed some with BIN disappeared from afternic account, is it the normal?

Last edited:
•••
Good question. I saw Dan reps responding that if you have a separate Afternic account, don't turn integration on at Dan.

•••
Back