Dynadot

news Dan.com to increase comission from 9% to 15% effective Feb 1st 2023

NameSilo
Watch
Just received this email from Dan.com about commission increases (snippet of email):

1672844802429.png

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, I get it.

But even 3K active members, some with with large portfolios could get good traction and attract non-NP mambers.
Stuff like that has been talked about in the past, won't happen here. I'll go to that thread to keep this one on topic.

•••
Just out curiosity, sales via direct to your domains vs. sales vs. distribution network if enabled for all your domains. Do you think it would be pretty even or heavy in favor of one method.

For me, I guess I'll find out this year but if it's pretty even then end result, sales shouldn't be much difference.
It is a balancing act.

Priced domains at venues like Afternic provide steady cash flow, but I prefer to negotiate myself on better domains. I am using Dan.com at the moment, but have used Voodoo in the past for many years before.

Brad

•••
As an Afternic lander user, I'm more than happy.

It is however, indeed a problem for Dan users.
Hello, first of all greetings twiki and all those who make this site alive, thanks to all.

Twiki I congratulate you that you are not affected by afternic.com, because you use the landing page of afternic. I explain you, there is a statistic that indicates that there are many domain sellers that have their domains in afternic and other platforms like sedo.com, but in their domain names they do not use the nameservers of afternic and sedo, the domains are parked earning money, for example they use the domain name servers like bodis, ParkingCrew, among others because they pay better for parked domains.

Godaddy indicates that from 20% it goes down to 15%, here is the catch, they give you 15% if your domains, or the domains of the sellers point to afternic.com servers.

If the domain names are on afternic.com, but, do not point to afternic.com servers, they will charge 25%, forcing sellers that if they want to enjoy the 15% they must change their name servers to afternic, if they do not, afternic will charge 25%.

This was done by trickery to force sellers to have their domains point to afternic's servers. As godaddy says, if you want to do business with godaddy, you must point to afternic nameservers, if not, you will be charged 25%.

Thank you all, and excuse my English. First time I write in this forum. Best wishes for this new year to all of you.

•••
If only Epik hadn't tarnished their rep there would have been so much opportunity for them right now...

•••
It is a balancing act.

Priced domains at venues like Afternic provide steady cash flow, but I prefer to negotiate myself on better domains. I am using Dan.com at the moment, but have used Voodoo in the past for many years before.

Brad
That's something I was really thinking about last few years with my Make Offers. I did it because no thinking was involved, it's just easy, select Make Offer.

So then you get offers.

Somebody sends you an offer. How many times has that offer been more than you wanted or something you would take on first offer. For me, that's been pretty rare. Usually first offer, is low ball offer, see if you will bite, get the ball rolling etc.

So then you get an offer and reply with an amount. So eventually you need to figure out an amount to counter. Whatever that amount is, is what I've been pricing my names to start with. You can always negotiate down from that.

For example, on one of your bigger names. I send you an offer, it's too low, you come back with counter. Why not price that domain to begin with, with that counter offer?

Stuff I'm still thinking about and you have a much bigger portfolio.

But I have seen in increase of sales because of some changes I made

Make Offer ----> Buy Now
Offering Lease to Own option has increased sales, no doubt about it
I think GoDaddy branding on landing pages probably helps sales.

I'll have a better idea once this year is done.

Last edited:
•••
Hello, first of all greetings twiki and all those who make this site alive, thanks to all.

Twiki I congratulate you that you are not affected by afternic.com, because you use the landing page of afternic. I explain you, there is a statistic that indicates that there are many domain sellers that have their domains in afternic and other platforms like sedo.com, but in their domain names they do not use the nameservers of afternic and sedo, the domains are parked earning money, for example they use the domain name servers like bodis, ParkingCrew, among others because they pay better for parked domains.

Godaddy indicates that from 20% it goes down to 15%, here is the catch, they give you 15% if your domains, or the domains of the sellers point to afternic.com servers.

If the domain names are on afternic.com, but, do not point to afternic.com servers, they will charge 25%, forcing sellers that if they want to enjoy the 15% they must change their name servers to afternic, if they do not, afternic will charge 25%.

This was done by trickery to force sellers to have their domains point to afternic's servers. As godaddy says, if you want to do business with godaddy, you must point to afternic nameservers, if not, you will be charged 25%.

Thank you all, and excuse my English. First time I write in this forum. Best wishes for this new year to all of you.
Hi @Juan v2 - useful to clarify that the reduced 15% commission rate applies to more than just afternic.com nameservers. It also applies to:
  • smartname.com
  • uniregistrymarket.link
  • dan.com
  • undeveloped.com
  • internettraffic.com
  • cashparking.com

•••
That's something I was really thinking about last few years with my Make Offers. I did it because no thinking was involved, it's just easy, select Make Offer.

So then you get offers.

Somebody sends you an offer. How many times has that offer been more than you wanted or something you would take on first offer. For me, that's been pretty rare. Usually first offer, is low ball offer, see if you will bite, get the ball rolling etc.

So then you get an offer and reply with an amount. So eventually you need to figure out an amount to counter. Whatever that amount is, is what I've been pricing my names to start with. You can always negotiate down from that.

For example, on one of your bigger names. I send you an offer, it's too low, you come back with counter. Why not price that domain to begin with, with that counter offer?

Stuff I'm still thinking about and you have a much bigger portfolio.

But I have seen in increase of sales because of some changes I made

Make Offer ----> Buy Now
Offering Lease to Own option has increased sales, no doubt about it
I think GoDaddy branding on landing pages probably helps sales.

I'll have a better idea once this year is done.
That depends.

•••

•••
Domainers now sell domains to pay GoDaddy, taxes and renewals.

Investors get crumbs.

•••
I'm disgusted at this move by Godaddy. We have one set of customers charged at 25%, and another at 15% provided they use one of the Godaddy satellites.

I use Bodis for nearly all my domains. I now have a strong incentive not to use Bodis. Same for companies like Efty. They have put so much work in make the industry stronger.

This is one way to kill the competition Godaddy!

•••
Domainers now sell domains to pay GoDaddy, taxes and renewals.

Investors get crumbs.

Not always true.

If you have a good portfolio, a 15% commision is okay to me. I got 100% yearly ROI and there are other investors doing 5x or 10x in their ROI.

But yes, for many living off what remains it can be a problem. This will affect smaller investors mostly, those with not so good portfolios.

•••
I'm disgusted at this move by Godaddy. We have one set of customers charged at 25%, and another at 15% provided they use one of the Godaddy satellites.
I am as well, and this is coming from a long time GoDaddy supporter.

If a domain sells at Afternic/Dan, it should not matter what the landers are. It should be the same fee.

Charging a 10% higher fee for not using GoDaddy landers is intentionally trying to limit customer options.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Flesh it out.

I mean, it depends on portfolio, domain types, prices, types of buyers.... domainer preference.

There's no white and black there (bin vs make offer, lander choice etc).

It's your decision.

Edit: You sounded like making a general statement, but perhaps I am mistaken.

I don't disagree on what you said though, to be more clear. I think these decisions are always food for thought and from time to time, subject to change.

Last edited:
•••
The changes don't come into effect until Feb 1st, so plenty of time for you to close deals and review your portfolio. I can also confirm you'd get the discounted commission if you're using GoDaddy aftermarket nameservers. I'd be happy to chat privately to get an insight into the points you raised.

Thanks. I will be replacing Dan with my own landers and escrow + imported Dan lead in the meantime.

Appreciate your time actively engaging in this thread.

•••
I am as well, and this is coming from a long time GoDaddy supporter.

If a domain sells at Afternic/Dan, it should not matter what the landers are. It should be the same fee.

Charging a 10% higher fee for not using GoDaddy landers is intentionally trying to limit customer options.

Brad

I don't know anything about trade law, but how can a supermarket charge one customer 75 cent, and another 50 cent? That doesn't seem right. It's actually a 67% markup for those not using the satellites! Somebody should complain to some trade board or something.

•••
I don't know anything about trade law, but how can a supermarket charge one customer 75 cent, and another 50 cent? That doesn't seem right. It's actually a 67% markup for those not using the satellites! Somebody should complain to some trade board or something.
Very simple.

Their business their rules.

And this is not a supermarket, I'm afraid. It's not a question of, for example, food security.

Edit: One can complain of course to authorities; but I don't see a possible trade issue here, as in such an action having any kind of result.

Edit2: I see the reason for negatives, and I feel you. But for clarity: Was just pointing out how things work in the real world. Not that it is perfect or things are fair. It's not like we're in a democracy or something (yet another illusion).

Last edited:
•••
Very simple.

Their business their rules.

And this is not a supermarket, I'm afraid. It's not a question of, for example, food security.

Edit: One can complain of course to authorities; but I don't see a possible trade issue here, as in such an action having any kind of result.
It's very obvious the trade issue here (the fair competition issue. The Monopoly issue here). You have a service (Afternic) where sales happen at their registrar network stream, and you charge a 10% more to users for simply not using their landers, for the same sale on the same platform.

Last edited:
•••

I use Bodis for nearly all my domains. I now have a strong incentive not to use Bodis. Same for companies like Efty. They have put so much work in make the industry stronger.

This is one way to kill the competition Godaddy!

https://www.justice.gov/atr/antitrust-laws-and-you

Antitrust Laws And You​

Many consumers have never heard of antitrust laws, but enforcement of these laws saves consumers millions and even billions of dollars a year. The Federal Government enforces three major Federal antitrust laws, and most states also have their own. Essentially, these laws prohibit business practices that unreasonably deprive consumers of the benefits of competition, resulting in higher prices for products and services.
The three major Federal antitrust laws are:
  • The Sherman Antitrust Act

• The Clayton Act

• The Federal Trade Commission Act.
The following information on these laws comes from the Antitrust Enforcement and the Consumer guide.

•••
Godaddy S U C K S. Plain and simple. End of Story. PERIOD.

They represent everything that is wrong with the domain industry.

•••
Hi @Juan v2 - useful to clarify that the reduced 15% commission rate applies to more than just afternic.com nameservers. It also applies to:
  • smartname.com
  • uniregistrymarket.link
  • dan.com
  • undeveloped.com
  • internettraffic.com
  • cashparking.com

Please don't call this price jacking a "reduced commission rate" - those of us who never wanted to use Afternic but were forced to (e.g. via Uniregistry) or didn't care for the trickle-down tweaks Afternic 2.0 is receiving during the past 3 years, are offended.

GoDaddy didn't even have the decency to give us 30 full days of notice, instead, it sent out emails from its marketplaces with very weak arguments over the benefits to domain investors.

It's a price grab by GoDaddy and I am disappointed by Dan's forced demise. Watch how fast 1.7 million domains leave the DNS when you impose an increase from 9% to 15% AND a 25% taxation of non-GoDaddy DNS!

•••
If only Epik hadn't tarnished their rep there would have been so much opportunity for them right now...
It might be a good opportunity for Efty and Sedo.

Interest rates are far from finished their upward trajectory. I don't know if that affects Godaddy directly, but it's definitely affecting the economic environment.

So at the start of that trajectory, we have already have a 67% increase for many.

So they might be thinking... when is the next increase happening from Godaddy? And so they might turn to Sedo and Efty.

•••
Funny Story:
in the past i had all my domains by Sedo.com and the fees was 15%.
I switched to Dan.com and told Sedo.com they should change the fees and create the same seller page like Dan.com

In August 2022 Sedo.com changed the fees to 10% and clone the same DAN.com page
https://sedo.com/us/about-us/news-p...le-template-brings-attention-to-your-domains/

Sedo.com Demo Selling Page:
https://sedo.com/search/details/?domain=virtualkey.net&origin=sales_lander_15&language=us
Now i go back to Sedo.com...

•••
One of the most affected by recent GD actions is Bodis. First, GD purchased DAN and destroyed Bodis partnership. Now, GD prompts customers to stop using bodis parking with built-in afternic/godaddy (!) forsale banner. Hope Bodis will survive....

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back