IT.COM

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Offers can be used as a way to temporarily get a competing domain off the market or do some front-running, so there needs to be some way of restraining ones that aren't sincere.
Yeah, frontrunners would do everything possible to continue. From adding domains they do not own to submtting successful bid [and not paying for it if they did not find a buyer]. In context of collection services, how succesful the process of trying to receive $$$ from @<np member edited out> or @<another np member name edited out>
will be? Zero chances. They are doing their "job" in bulk.

P.S. It is not a rocket science to identify those who are involved (spamming, frontrunning etc). I did this once. Found at least 2 namepros members. Not too active though... Posting this to make it clear that they also read all these discussions, and adopt accordingly :(

Last edited:
•••
We have at least 3 people already downvoting any suggestion that Dan should supply details of non-paying buyers. I wonder why.

•••
If you've bought a domain from Dan.com, would you mind doing a quick favor? Could you check and see if you're able to view the seller's invoice along with their complete details?

•••
If you've bought a domain from Dan.com, would you mind doing a quick favor? Could you check and see if you're able to view the seller's invoice along with their complete details?
Yes, you can see the details of seller such as name, address VAT number. Phone number and email is not inserted in the invoice.

•••

Checked a DAN invoice from a purchase I made late last year. The seller's full name and address appear on the invoice, alongside mine (the buyer's).

Haven't sold a domain via DAN yet, but I imagine the seller also sees the buyer's details on their invoice.

@DAN.COM, doesn't this invoicing style pose privacy and security risks for both parties? I wish you would change this.

cc: @LaszloSchenk

•••
Checked a DAN invoice from a purchase I made late last year. The seller's full name and address appear on the invoice, alongside mine (the buyer's).

Haven't sold a domain via DAN yet, but I imagine the seller also sees the buyer's details on their invoice.

@DAN.COM, doesn't this invoicing style pose privacy and security risks for both parties? I wish you would change this.

That is not possible because there is an agreement between buyer and seller. Based on the invoice, the seller must declare VAT if it applies. With afternic, the buyer is afteric. Therefore when I sell a domain name through afternic I make the invoice with data from afternic. But at Dan.com it doesn't work that way. It is also mandatory in the eu to have the data of buyer and seller on invoice. Dan.com had recently hidden the invoices for privacy reasons. Then I told them (probably also the other sellers) that I should also receive the invoice. Then they changed this again. Because as you see on the invoice, the invoice is sent on behalf of seller (so Dan.com has nothing to do with the invoice of sale domain name to buyer). On this basis I do my VAT declaration. If they had not adjusted this they could get big problems and criminal investigation from Dutch government.

•••
Waiting to hear response from Dan re: my personal information being shared if/when I sell a domain through their marketplace...this is a deal breaker for me.

In the meantime, what is up with view counter not working? I've been doing a test (with help from others) and my view counter has been frozen for a while.

•••
Waiting to hear response from Dan re: my personal information being shared if/when I sell a domain through their marketplace...this is a deal breaker for me.
That info has always been shared, ie physical address only, on the required invoices both at Dan and Sedo. You can use an accountant or other service provider's address. There do have to be invoices for those transactions.

There are venues that let you sell without even sharing your name, such as Afternic and I think the Namesilo marketplace. What about others?

•••
That info has always been shared, ie physical address only, on the required invoices both at Dan and Sedo. You can use an accountant or other service provider's address. There do have to be invoices for those transactions.

There are venues that let you sell without even sharing your name, such as Afternic and I think the Namesilo marketplace. What about others?
Yes the sellers info has always been shared post transaction. The difference now is the buyer info is protected/hidden. They used to have both parties names and address on the invoice. What about our privacy? Why one and not the other?

•••
Since EU VAT and GDPR rules are complicated (for non-EU sellers especially), it would be more practical for marketplaces to serve as an intermediary, let them purchase domains from sellers and sell to buyers, adding (or not adding) VAT as appropriate, paying (or not paying) VAT to EU member states, etc. In Dan case, any changes in this aspect are unlikely though. It does not appear that GoDaddy is actively developing and improving DAN, so one may guess that earlier or later they will kill it similar to Uniregistry or Media Temple /hosting/ :(

•••
I do have to say here that the response time from Dan support is awesome.

Last week, a domain I picked up was still listed on Dan and Afternic so I sent emails to both (within seconds of each other) requesting the removal of the old listing and Dan handled the issue within 10 minutes. I am still waiting on Afternic to correct the problem.

Actually, this same scenario happened 3 or 4 times with the same results.

•••
@DAN.COM

Can you tell me why my question is being ignored?
I have asked it twice.

Thanks
It's not intentional :) The Afternic network is definitely a benefit for sellers for additional exposure but we will only be focusing on BIN listings at this time!

We will talk with our team and review your suggestion, we appreciate your views!

I do have to say here that the response time from Dan support is awesome.

Last week, a domain I picked up was still listed on Dan and Afternic so I sent emails to both (within seconds of each other) requesting the removal of the old listing and Dan handled the issue within 10 minutes. I am still waiting on Afternic to correct the problem.

Actually, this same scenario happened 3 or 4 times with the same results.
We love to hear awesome stuff about our Dan support team :xf.love:

•••
It's not intentional :) The Afternic network is definitely a benefit for sellers for additional exposure but we will only be focusing on BIN listings at this time!
Thank you for the reply.

Sorry to hear that.
Having Make Offers on Afternic's DLS through the Dan platform would increase sales for everyone.
I was hoping to getaway from Sedo's 20% commission on their MLS but I guess I will continue using their MLS for my Make Offers and use Dan for my Buy Now's.

It would be nice to be able to do everything through Dan.

Thanks

•••
For anyone that has not got the email yet, Dan.com is discontinuing .in listings from 26 July.

This was inevitable once Godaddy bought Dan.com - the .in registry does not allow a company to both sell .in domains and act as a platform for reselling them, so Godaddy already does not allow .in listings.

Last edited:
•••
I just got an email from Dan that from July 26 it is no longer possible to list dot in names for sale via Dan:

Important Update on your .in listings​

Hello

We have an important update to share regarding our platform. Effective 26 July 2023, we will no longer allow the listing of .in domains. This decision is based on criteria required by the Registry for .in.
  • Why are we discontinuing the ability to list .in domains for sale?
Our decision is based on a limitation by the Registry.
  • How does this change affect existing listings of .in domains?
Existing listings for .in domains will be removed from our platform on the 26 of July. Any installment payments for previously purchased .in domains will continue as agreed.
  • Can buyers still buy .in domains on Dan?
No, the ability to buy .in domains will also be discontinued.

We understand that changes like these can be disruptive, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. We greatly appreciate your understanding and continued support as we strive to make our platform the best it can be for all users.

Regards,
The Dan Team

•••
I noticed I had one name less for sale. Since no sales were reported, I went through my list and found the domain in question that had vanished from my list. I checked the lander and it was listed as make offer (I had BIN) with different Dan lander that I would use. What the hell happened, did someone else manage to list a name that I had already listed? How the hell is that even possible?

And why doesn't GoDaddy accept Dan's third name server (for verification), how stupid is that? I had to go through TXT record inconvenience (so two DNS changes) when I relisted the domain.

Last edited:
•••
See what a mistake it was to sell your business to daddy?
So truly respected and admired for what you did up until you sold out.
Share the name or link to sellers profile. Without a link or you will get bot slapped
Is it a chinese character for username the lander your name points to now?

•••
I was too pissed off to realize to investigate, I just immediately relisted the domain to my name again.

•••
So whats the scoop?
You hand reggae and forgot to add and someone else had it listed

It was removed and you simply re added it and Domain Automation Network shifted it to your account?

Why we let our main competitor manage our affairs is mind blowing.

Mono poly

•••
No, like i said it just vanished from my Dan-listed names. I didn't forget to list it and I didn't delete it either.

edit: Steve Gerritsen on Twitter:
"I just saw 10 domains disappear today from my @Undeveloped account. Second time this year that I've had domains leave my account. Help needed!"

Last edited:
•••
@DAN.COM

Is anyone aware that the recently implemented DAN.com cookie policy takes up 1/2 to 3/4 of the screen on mobile devices? (1/2 vertical, 3/4 horizontal)

The policy blocks the domain name and price.

This is the equivalent of building a wall around our listings.

As you can imagine, this is problematic for sellers.

There's at least one other platform who has a large cookie policy that covers their landers and their overall sales have plummeted since they implemented it.

That being said, can we get this policy locked at the bottom of the page like the GoDaddy landers or at the very least reduced in size, so that potential buyers aren't being forced to accept cookies in order break down the barrier to view pricing?

We're in the business of sales. We cannot have these barriers between our listings and potential buyers.

•••
Here are the uptime stats for May 2023 for one of my domains using DAN's landing page.

Total downtime: 14 hours, 22 minutes

Show attachment 238859

Before GoDaddy's acquisition, the uptime used to be 99.99%.
It's getting worse!

Here are the uptime stats for June 2023 for one of my domains using DAN's landing page.

Total downtime: 20 hours, 52 minutes

Is anyone from @DAN.COM planning to comment on this issue? The extended downtime is affecting our sales significantly.

DAN Downtime.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Is anyone else noticing greatly reduced traffic in Google Analytics for names parked at Dan.com?

•••
Is anyone else noticing greatly reduced traffic in Google Analytics for names parked at Dan.com?
That's likely because Google has started to sunset Universal Analytics starting July 1st. Google Analytics 4 is the new Google Analytics. You will need to configure a new property for it. Dan will also need to do their own bit at their end.

•••
@DAN.COM

Today I double checked my listed domains in DAN.
22 of them were missing.
I found an older bulk upload, from 27/7, and these 22 domains were included.
All 22 domains are now listed in an other DAN account, unrelated to me.
This wasn't happened by mistake.
During this last week, someone deliberately took 22 domains from my account to his, and I had no clue about it!

I know that you can list a name under your account, just by messaging DAN's live chat, and I really appreciate that.
But should I be notified about it?
You are sending us notification emails when we list and when we delete a domain.
Why don't you send one, when a domain is removed from account, as well?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back