Dynadot

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You ignored my message long time ago, and I forgot what I asked. Tons of time wasted.

Some questions I remember:

-Do you require ID?

- Do you track visitors? (real time IP) Do you track bidders ?

-Do you payout by Paypal? Wire?

-Can you show a list of past sales or top sales?

-Do you allow rent only? Other people said you change whois during lease, and this is good.

-How much info about sellers do you give to buyers?

-Can buyers contact sellers, during negotiation, or at other times?

-If there are some past bids which didn't lead to a sale, then will past bidders be informed in case of auctions, or when a BIN price added?

Last edited:
•••
You ignored my message long time ago, and I forgot what I asked. Tons of time wasted.

Some questions I remember:

-Do you require ID?

-Do you allow rent only? Other people said you change whois during lease, and this is good.

-If there are some past bids which didn't lead to a sale, then will past bidders be informed in case of auctions, or when a BIN price added?

Hi TopDom,

This is the first time I see these questions, here are the answers:

-Do you require ID?

1: We do not. However, we do perform KYC on all first time sellers.

2: Yes

3: Yes

4: No - however, Over $1M a month in domains are sold at DAN.

5: We offer Lease to own and domain Rentals. Both options you can set within seconds in your account.

6: You decide which info you show to your buyers in your Privacy settings. Once you have a sale, do note that your billing details will be shown on the automated generated invoices we send to your buyer.

7: Yes.

8: At the moment we don't do this yet.

I would simply advice to create an account and test DAN.COM. A lot of the questions you raise would have been answered by doing that.

Kind regards,

Reza

Last edited:
•••
Just got an offer today and was pleased to see it now includes buyer's company name (if applicable). That is a great feature, since looking up the IP address will mostly not reveal who is behind the offer.

So many great things to say about DAN. Seriously, Sedo, I would worry if I were you...

Last edited:
•••
do note that your billing details will be shown on the automated generated invoices we send to your buyer
What kind of details? If I choose payout in crypto, what exactly does the buyer see? Only the crypto wallet or... email...name?

•••
It would be nice, if we could verify domain, that was listed by previous owner without chatting and waiting, optionaly. It can be done with TXT records, for example.

•••
What kind of details? If I choose payout in crypto, what exactly does the buyer see? Only the crypto wallet or... email...name?

Hi Don,

We simply include the name (business name) and the billing address on invoices. This has to be done to have legal invoices.

Kind regards,

Reza

•••
when i tried to buy one of my domains i just saw visa card and master card i did't see wire or paypal

•••
It would be nice, if we could verify domain, that was listed by previous owner without chatting and waiting, optionaly. It can be done with TXT records, for example.

Hi Bohdan,

We're working on a solution with Nameservers to fix this. I'll notify you here and on our blog once it's live.

Kind regards,

Reza

•••
when i tried to buy one of my domains i just saw visa card and master card i did't see wire or paypal

Hi D0M4IN,

The payment options vary per country and transaction size. So each buyer, in essence, sees different payment options, optimized for the region they are in. For example, Chinese buyers get Alipay and WeChatPay as additional options. A German buyer will see Bankcontacten as an additional option and so on.

US buyers often don't get the bank wire option since that's not a standard form of payment.

A bit later down the road, we're expanding our payment options by adding two new processing methods to the checkout flow.

Kind regards,

Reza

Last edited:
•••
When we park there by setting nameservers, do you forward emails belonging to our domains to us?
Probably not, and if you add such an option this would be good. Namesilo has such an option.

Do you allow background images? Namesilo has such an option. Maybe also Epik.

Do you allow text (for SEO or convincing purposes) on landing pages?

What kind of thing needed for Know Your Customer part? Can it be negotiated or is it standard?

Can we avoid invoices when not requested? Do you prepare it, or do we do it?

Do you (plan to) have a mls? Sedo has basic mls by default, and I suspect most of the sales there are happening because of that mls.

When there is an offer or a message, do we get it instantly?

========================

Let's say we have a domain at Namesilo, or Epik, or Dynadot.

Visitor tracking, (and maybe also bidder tracking ?) may be a superiority of Dan.com over those marketplaces.

What else do you offer that they don't (when trying to sell that domain). You may not want to answer that kind of question, because your competitors are here also, so I ask this question to NP members.

Here I care mostly about selling, and getting a good price, and in that direction tracking visitors, and deciding on what to do about a domain which didn't get any offers yet.

Last edited:
•••
I think that the past bidders should be informed when a BIN price added or changed.

•••
When we park there by setting nameservers, do you forward emails belonging to our domains to us?
Probably not, and if you add such an option this would be good. Namesilo has such an option.

Do you allow background images? Namesilo has such an option. Maybe also Epik.

Do you allow text (for SEO or convincing purposes) on landing pages?

What kind of thing needed for Know Your Customer part? Can it be negotiated or is it standard?

Can we avoid invoices when not requested? Do you prepare it, or do we do it?

Do you (plan to) have a mls? Sedo has basic mls by default, and I suspect most of the sales there are happening because of that mls.

When there is an offer or a message, do we get it instantly?

========================

Let's say we have a domain at Namesilo, or Epik, or Dynadot.

Visitor tracking, (and maybe also bidder tracking ?) may be a superiority of Dan.com over those marketplaces.

What else do you offer that they don't (when trying to sell that domain). You may not want to answer that kind of question, because your competitors are here also, so I ask this question to NP members.

Here I care mostly about selling, and getting a good price, and in that direction tracking visitors, and deciding on what to do about a domain which didn't get any offers yet.

First of all, our service doesn't compare to the registrars you mention which offer landing pages that aren't optimized for conversion as extensively as ours. We often see oversimplification but in an industry with such low portfolio liquidity, it's utmost important to make sure you don't lose a single interested buyer. The entire purchase flow, therefore, has to be fully optimized from the first touchpoint of the buyer all the way to the last. We spend a lot of time on customer development to identify all barriers buyers might have and remove those to make sure we become continuously better at connecting buyers and sellers.

We see a lot of the elements we introduced on those landers but copying some elements of our landers won't result in the same conversions. I even see one of the companies you mention to use a fake review site created by themselves. This doesn't really build trust in a market where trust is key for conversions.

To answer your questions:

1: Do you forward emails belonging to our domains to us?

No

2: Do you allow background images?

Yes

3: Do you allow text (for SEO or convincing purposes) on landing pages?

Yes

4: Can we avoid invoices when not requested?

No, our system automatically generates invoices and this can't be disabled because your buyers need an invoice for their administration. It's legally not even allowed to perform transactions without a validated invoice.

5: Do you (plan to) have a mls?

We already have a distribution network in place and will launch something pretty significant in that field later down the road.

6: When there is an offer or a message, do we get it instantly?

Yes.

Kind regards,

Reza

Last edited:
•••
I think there is a big void in the domain auctions niche (I mean real, honest domain auctions not faked ones like on other places where shill bidding is rampant). It would be nice to see auctions being implemented at some point in the future.

•••
I use BIN with Make Offer option, but I would also be open to rental for some domains. Would it be possible to have all three options on the sales lander or is that too much information for visitors to look at?

If not, are we allowed to include our email address in the seller profile text? Then we might add someting like "Rental option may also be available. Please contact us at [email protected] to discuss".

Last edited:
•••
I use BIN with Make Offer option, but I would also be open to rental for some domains. Would it be possible to have all three options on the sales lander or is that too much information for visitors to look at?

If not, are we allowed to include our email address in the seller profile text? Then we might add someting like "Rental option may also be available. Please contact us at [email protected] to discuss".

I'd love to be able to show all options if I have them set. For example, on some of my names I would like to show "make offer", "monthly rental cost (with no ownership)", and "monthly lease to own cost" all on the same landing page so a prospect can look at it and decide that maybe they would prefer to make and offer instead of rent or even lease.

It presents everything to the prospect.

•••
I am happy to follow the innovation in the industry and leave the painful alternatives behind one by one. Thank you very much team @ Dan.com

Question - as per the Invoice buyer receives, are you saying our real name is on that ? or just the
Nick name , will placing a name in the business field replace it ?

•••
I am happy to follow the innovation in the industry and leave the painful alternatives behind one by one. Thank you very much team @ Dan.com

Question - as per the Invoice buyer receives, are you saying our real name is on that ? or just the

Your entire business or personal information are on that invoice, so are the buyer details. No invoice is complete without that - no anonymity here.

So if you want to stay behind the curtain you must choose to sell at other venues.

•••
Your entire business or personal information are on that invoice, so are the buyer details. No invoice is complete without that - no anonymity here.

So if you want to stay behind the curtain you must choose to sell at other venues.

You can enter anything you want in those fields ...

•••
4: Can we avoid invoices when not requested?

No, our system automatically generates invoices and this can't be disabled because your buyers need an invoice for their administration. It's legally not even allowed to perform transactions without a validated invoice.

Kind regards,

Reza

In certain European countries (Austria, Germany, etc.), Private sellers are not required to issue a receipt or invoice. For Private sellers, it is actually advised to not issue a receipt.

Last edited:
•••

Hi Embrand,

Combining the rental option with the purchase option has resulted in sub-optimal results in all our experiments so far. You can add that text to your landers as long as you process your transactions at DAN.

At DAN we have a very open policy towards our sellers, as long as there is mutual respect and trust. We strive to build real relationships with all our sellers.

I just advice sellers to be wary of not abusing our soft policy because breaking this trust just once forces us to enforce our policy more strict when that happens.

Lastly, I always advice to communicate the rental option when negotiating when the negotiation seems to stall due to price issues. The reason why I mention this is because renting domains isn't normalized yet and end-users are wary of that model. That's why sole domain rental marketplaces launched in the past haven't succeeded.

In the near future, we're launching a negotiation engine which will help all sellers based on big data with negotiations.

The DAN Bot will propose actions to you based on real data we have for all sales conducted at DAN. We'll also advice buyers what kind of initial or counter-offers to place to yield a higher chance of a successful negotiation.

This is going to be next level! We can't wait to introduce these features soon.

Kind regards,

Reza

Last edited:
•••

Hi Ecomslice,

We use the information we have to legally include. So when you're a non-business seller the invoice will include your name. When you sell as a business, your business name will be only shown on the invoice.

Kind regards,

Reza

•••
In certain European countries (Austria, Germany, etc.), Private sellers are not required to issue a receipt or invoice. For Private sellers, it is actually advised to not issue a receipt.

Hi Larion,

That's correct when dealing with a non-business entity. However, since the majority of buyers in our marketplace are end-users, they do need something for their administration. That why we generate professional non-VAT invoices for our non-business sellers.

Other marketplaces ask you to create invoices yourself when the buyer requests one, but since we're keen to automate all processes involved in domain transactions, we've spent quite some time on creating an invoicing system that works for all sellers.

PS: also give the revenue sheet section a look. You can directly export your transaction history which includes all the information your accountant needs to quickly process your sales and VAT if applicable. This feature, in essence, makes your entire bookkeeping significantly easier.

Kind regards,

Reza

Last edited:
•••
Hi Embrand,

Combining the rental option with the purchase option has resulted in sub-optimal results in all our experiments so far. You can add that text to your landers as long as you process your transactions at DAN.

At DAN we have a very open policy towards our sellers, as long as there is mutual respect and trust because we strive to build real relationships with our sellers.

I just advice sellers to be wary of not abusing our soft policy because breaking this trust forces us to enforce our policy more strict when that happens.

Kind regards,

Reza

Okay, thanks Reza. It is good to know you have tested this so we know what works best.

•••
@Reza

I wrote a message on support which was most probably missed so here's it again.

I noticed something which you might want to look into.
I had a sale about 3 hours back, the name was locked at DYNADOT, I unlocked it and clicked on "transfer via auth code" option, the bot kept giving me prompts that the name is locked (which it isn't)

So I talked with Dynadot and tried multiple other whois servers (whois, verisign) the name has been in unlocked status for 3 hours now but the ICANN API you guys use to validate lock seems to be slow most probably because they're using cached data.

I hope you guys would consider using other whois APIS in place, perhaps try verisign API since I tried that with another name and it showed unlock status instantly.

I look forward to your response on this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back