IT.COM

news Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Having relatives and friends scattered all over the globe, I am getting an overload of input (some on the record and some off the record).

My intention for this thread is for community members from around the world to post first hand stories and/or links to information sources that, for the most part, should be reliable.

In my community, just outside a major southeastern city, 'assets' have been placed. Only because I have friends in both high and low places have I heard about some of this. At this point it is only some basic medical supplies that should be equally distributed anyway in preparation for a natural emergency (hurricane/wildfire/etc.).

I will start with posting a link to a site with current data that seems to come from an aggregate of sources and hope others will do the same as they come across similar sites/pages.

Because of the 'typhoid Mary' spread-ability of this disease, I feel we may be in for a really large spread globally which will impact the global economy and through extension, retail domain prices.

One thing is for sure...things will get worse before they get better.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa-coronavirus/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
not real.
the paint on covid is much brighter than the other writing on the left.

Thanks, that is what i suspected. we have some real fucking idiots, we always will

•••
He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States was announced, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...anitizer-and-nowhere-to-sell-them/ar-BB11blvS

Last edited:
•••
As this progresses in the coming weeks, I myself am anticipating there will likely be disruption to some services and utilities (such as electric, gas, internet, phone, water) in some areas. Hopefully not real widespread, but anything could happen, these are unprecedented times.

Some of these companies could very well be forced to close, or drastically reduce available staff, due to illness within their company.

In other cases, if an issue requires a tech to come inside your house, we may reach a point where it's just not gonna happen, people won't risk it out of fear of catching the virus.

Another possibility could be a lockdown where movement restrictions keep even utility workers at home. That's up to the government to decide -- how "essential" is the internet, or electric, or water, or gas, or phone service? Unsure how these are treated in countries under lockdown like Italy.

And of course there's always the possibility of various utilities being attacked by foreign governments in our time of weakness......

For these reasons, I think it's smart to stock up on water, purification tablets, solar chargers, crank chargers, etc.

Last edited:
•••
At this point anything could h
He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States was announced, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...anitizer-and-nowhere-to-sell-them/ar-BB11blvS

That is beyond idiot-ism

•••
As this progresses in the coming weeks, I myself am anticipating there will likely be disruption to some services and utilities (such as electric, gas, internet, phone, water) in some areas. Hopefully not real widespread, but anything could happen, these are unprecedented times.

Some of these companies could very well be forced to close, or drastically reduce available staff, due to illness within their company.

In other cases, if an issue requires a tech to come inside your house, we may reach a point where it's just not gonna happen, people won't risk it out of fear of catching the virus.

Another possibility could be a lockdown where movement restrictions keep even utility workers at home. That's up to the government to decide -- how "essential" is the internet, or electric, or water, or gas, or phone service? Unsure how these are treated in countries under lockdown like Italy.

And of course there's always the possibility of various utilities being attacked by foreign governments in our time of weakness......

Oh brother.

•••
Staying strong mentally is going to be key during this, stay strong @Mister Funsky , remember the recovery rate is about 94% with this, Stay Strong my friend

Thank you...the recovery rate for the young is encouraging as it is with most segments. It is not clear if she has it and we have not spoken today so I am unable to confirm if she has been or will be tested. As soon as I know something I will update.

So sorry to hear all those cases close to you @Mister Funsky. That is so sad about your buddies mothers sudden passing. Thoughts with them and you. Your niece is one of so many medical workers who encounter higher than normal risks through their dedication to their jobs and volunteering. I truly hope she does not have Covid-19, or if she does that she will not be very ill. While obvious exceptions, the vast majority of those under 60 are not ending up seriously ill and are able to fight it off.

Take care,

Bob

Thanks Bob...she is under 40 and a health nut (eats properly, runs like Forrest G) so if it is covid she has a strong system. She and her husband travel all over the world (they met in Africa) donating money and time to help those less fortunate. Her faith is strong so I've got no doubt she will overcome whatever it is.

Sorry to hear about your friend and family members @Mister Funsky.

This virus is closing in. I went to a branch office of my bank today and it was closed until further notice due to "social distancing."

I think we're all going to be very grateful for our cyber connections.

Stay safe, everyone.

Thank you...yes I agree that for the first time I see a more positive than negative output from social media. People are signing up to help take care of neighborhood children that have to stay home due to closed schools and young people are helping much older people with completing shopping lists (so the older folks can stay home and reduce their risk to exposure). This is a time when we as individuals and as a community can rise and shine!

Last edited:
•••
Oh brother.

You have such narrow thinking on some things, it truly blows my mind sometimes.

Then again, it's been clear for a dozen or so pages that you're not actually paying attention to what's happening, or taking it seriously -- you just really like to talk, and play devils advocate.

"I hope you're right though!"

•••
You have such narrow thinking on some things, it truly blows my mind sometimes.

Then again, it's been clear for a dozen or so pages that you're not actually paying attention to what's happening, or taking it seriously -- you just really like to talk, and play devils advocate.

"I hope you're right though!"
I have realistic thinking. Tell me why phone, internet, utilities etc would be affected. We always have people blowing things out of proportion.

•••
this channel has many videos if u wanna watch.. but i think this sums it up real good:

buckle up dorothy!

•••
I have realistic thinking. Tell me why phone, internet, utilities etc would be affected. We always have people blowing things out of proportion.

Like I said, you just like to talk - we could go in circles for twenty pages and get nowhere. Not gonna spoon-feed you my reasoning when I already know what your response will be. This isn't complicated stuff to figure out, I literally mentioned four reasons in my post that you quoted.

I get it though, I also play devils advocate a lot in RL, so no judgement. :cigar: I just know it's a waste of both our time and the forum's time.

•••
I got lots of family in the medical field. One is working in the ER right now. Phones are going off the hook with people wanting to be tested yet they can't because of all the criteria needed to be met. Very specific criteria, unreasonable criteria. Point being, the numbers reported are skewed. Don't trust the numbers because the variables are unknown.

Last edited:
•••
Like I said, you just like to talk - we could go in circles for twenty pages and get nowhere. Not gonna spoon-feed you my reasoning when I already know what your response will be. This isn't complicated stuff to figure out, I literally mentioned four reasons in my post that you quoted.

I get it though, I also play devils advocate a lot in RL, so no judgement. :cigar: I just know it's a waste of both our time and the forum's time.

Yes and it was completely ridiculous, this isn’t the plague. Some people have said they’ve had flus that are worse than this. We’re not going to lose power, water, internet etc. Losing power, water would make things worse. None of these kind of things happened when we went thru other things.

This:

"Another possibility could be a lockdown where movement restrictions keep even utility workers at home."

Would actually be the opposite. Went thru many hurricanes, utility company workers are the ones that will always get a pass to handle business. These aren't 1 employee companies. Feel sick, stay home, next man up. These are essential services. You've been watching too many end of the world movies.

Last edited:
•••
Here's a very good article, one of the most popular ones floating around currently. Apologies if it's been shared here already.

Long, but very much worth the read for anyone who ACTUALLY wants a good picture of what's going on.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

•••
Ok then what? Say we all get it and we recover? R we immune then? Or can we get it again and again?

Last edited:
•••
Ok then what? Say we all ger it and we recover? R we immune then? Or can we get it again and again?
I have heard mixed reports on that. I don't believe anyone truly knows that answer yet.

•••
Yes and it was completely ridiculous, this isn’t the plague. Some people have said they’ve had flus that are worse than this. We’re not going to lose power, water, internet etc. Losing power, water would make things worse. None of these kind of things happened when we went thru other things.

This:

"Another possibility could be a lockdown where movement restrictions keep even utility workers at home."

Would actually be the opposite. Went thru many hurricanes, utility company workers are the ones that will always get a pass to handle business. These aren't 1 employee companies. Feel sick, stay home, next man up. These are essential services. You've been watching too many end of the world movies.

If you want to learn something man, just read the article I just posted.

All along you've been downplaying this, comparing it to the flu, or a hurricane, when the reality is unfortunately FAR worse and FAR different, in so many ways I truly don't even know where to start. What, you think Italy and all these other countries are overreacting or something? Everything about this is unprecedented in our lifetime.

Just read the article, please.

In it, you'll see this:

Countries that act fast reduce the number of deaths at least by 10x.

Now, consider the obvious fact that the U.S. did NOT act fast. We're STILL hardly acting at all, a full two months in! THAT'S why we're in for incredible devastation. Many people aren't going to realize that until it affects them personally, one way or another.

P.S. Oh and for the record, I'm really not a movie-watcher. I literally couldn't even name 1 "end of world" movie I've seen in the last decade. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm not a "prepper", I don't live in some fantasy world. I've just been following this intently for a long time and realized since January that this was gonna be a BIG deal. I began preparations and warning family and close friends in JANUARY.

@JB Lions Tagging you because I edited my post a few times. Hopefully you're deep into the article as I type.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Ok then what? Say we all ger it and we recover? R we immune then? Or can we get it again and again?
You put wrong questions
This are the real questions
Why we still have commercial advertising on TV channels, social media & on street's? Do we have a pandemic or what? Why free movement & free speech is forbidden , etc..when is declare Emergency State in all countries?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
If you want to learn something man, just read the article I just posted.

All along you've been downplaying this, comparing it to the flu, or a hurricane, when the reality is unfortunately FAR worse and FAR different, in so many ways I truly don't even know where to start. What, you think Italy and all these other countries are overreacting or something? Everything about this is unprecedented in our lifetime.

Just read the article, please.

In it, you'll see this:

Countries that act fast reduce the number of deaths at least by 10x.

Now, consider the obvious fact that the U.S. did NOT act fast. We're STILL hardly acting at all! THAT'S why we're in for incredible devastation.

P.S. Oh and for the record, I'm really not a movie-watcher. I literally couldn't even name 1 "end of world" movie I've seen in the last decade. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm not a "prepper", I don't live in some fantasy world. I've just been following this intently for a long time and realized since January that this was gonna be a BIG deal. I began preparations and warning family and close friends in JANUARY.

With hurricanes, you know I was talking about utility workers. What you posted is in fear mongering territory, not based on any facts or reality. We're not going to lose power, water, cable, internet etc, that stuff won't be impacted.

"Everything about this is unprecedented in our lifetime."

Media coverage, social media, that's unprecedented. I think this could be one of the first examples of social media playing a part in the wrecking of economies. You provide facts, cover it, we've went way beyond that. You really don't think Twitter having 333,000,000 active monthly users vs. less than 30,000,000 has an impact? 11x more vs. the Swine Flu. Of course it does. That's just Twitter, now add in the rest of them.

United States deaths
Swine Flu 2009 - 13,000 (est.)
Regular Flu season Oct 1 - Feb 1 - 12,000 - 30,000
Coronovirus - 57

As far as unprecedented, as far as deaths, not anywhere near what we've had before, every single year when it comes to the regular flu.

Last edited:
•••
What you posted is in fear mongering territory, not based on any facts or reality. We're not going to lose power, water, cable, internet etc, that stuff won't be impacted.

Media coverage, social media, that's unprecedented.

As far as unprecedented, as far as deaths, not anywhere near what we've had before, every single year when it comes to the flu.

Whatever man, not even gonna bother wasting any more time trying to convince some random dude on the internet. You obviously didn't even read the article. Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
Whatever man, not even gonna bother wasting any more time trying to convince some dude on the internet. You obviously didn't even read the article. Good luck.

Yes, I didn't read some article from some random person on the internet who was assigned to write an article on this. There are plenty of already existing legit sources to get info.

THAT'S why we're in for incredible devastation.

57 in America right now. It'll go up, but let's see if it can do Swine flu numbers, 13,000. Nobody was freaking out when that happened. We have 327,200,000+ people in America.

Do you think it will pass 13,000?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back