NameSilo

news Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Having relatives and friends scattered all over the globe, I am getting an overload of input (some on the record and some off the record).

My intention for this thread is for community members from around the world to post first hand stories and/or links to information sources that, for the most part, should be reliable.

In my community, just outside a major southeastern city, 'assets' have been placed. Only because I have friends in both high and low places have I heard about some of this. At this point it is only some basic medical supplies that should be equally distributed anyway in preparation for a natural emergency (hurricane/wildfire/etc.).

I will start with posting a link to a site with current data that seems to come from an aggregate of sources and hope others will do the same as they come across similar sites/pages.

Because of the 'typhoid Mary' spread-ability of this disease, I feel we may be in for a really large spread globally which will impact the global economy and through extension, retail domain prices.

One thing is for sure...things will get worse before they get better.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa-coronavirus/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Comparison of SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Response Following Vaccination With BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273

A study comparing individual immune responses to two major COVID-19 vaccines has shown that Moderna’s created more than double the antibodies than that of Pfizer and BioNTech. The study suggested a couple of reasons for the antibody level differences between vaccines, including a longer interval between shots for Moderna’s vaccine - 4 weeks, compared to Pfizer’s 3 weeks. As well, the researchers said the Moderna shot had a higher concentration of the key active ingredient used in both vaccines.

The SARS-CoV-2 messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech) and mRNA-1273 (Moderna) have each shown more than 90% efficacy in preventing COVID-19 illness1,2 but, to our knowledge, humoral immune responses have not been compared directly.

Results:

Higher antibody titers were observed in participants vaccinated with 2 doses of mRNA-1273 compared with those vaccinated with BNT162b2.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2783797

•••
Massive randomized study is proof that surgical masks limit coronavirus spread, authors say

“I think a big error would be to read this study and to say, ‘Oh, masks can only prevent 10 percent of symptomatic infections,’ ” Abaluck said. The number would probably be several times higher if masking were universal, he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...udy-covid-bangladesh/?utm_source=morning_brew

•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 9:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). If your country of interest is not listed below, simply go to the link above to do a search for relevant information.

Total: 4,548,809
United States: 659,930
Brazil: 581,228
India: 439,559
Russia: 184,812
United Kingdom: 132,742
France: 114,577
Italy: 129,290
Spain: 84,472
Mexico: 260,503
Poland: 75,367
South Africa: 82,496
Indonesia: 134,356
Netherlands: 18,012
Canada: 26,962
Chile: 36,945
Belgium: 25,380
Philippines: 33,680
Japan : 16,123
Bolivia: 18,473
Australia: 1,019
Peru: 198,329

•••
When I started this thread about a year and a half ago, I did not expect the virus to still be raising its ugly head at this late date. With Labor Day approaching, lots of people are getting out for a trip/visit. I'm hoping there wont be a significant spike in a couple of weeks.

Coronavirus vax cuts risk of long Covid, breakthrough infections: Lancet

London, Sep 2 (IANS) People who got fully vaccinated against the infectious coronavirus disease are nearly 50 per cent less likely to experience long Covid than unvaccinated people who get infected with the virus, according to a large-scale study published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases journal.

The study, led by King's College London, found that of more than 1.2 million adults who received at least one dose of either the Pfizer-BioNTech, Oxford-AstraZeneca, or Moderna vaccine, between December 2020 and July 2021, fewer than 0.5 per cent reported a breakthrough infection more than 14 days after their first dose.

Among adults who received two vaccine doses, fewer than 0.2 per cent experienced a breakthrough infection more than seven days after their second dose.

https://www.sify.com/news/coronavir...tions-lancet-news-national-vjcm4tbdfhbcc.html

•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 8:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). If your country of interest is not listed below, simply go to the link above to do a search for relevant information.

Total: 4,570,224
United States: 664,935
Brazil: 582,753
India: 440,256
Russia: 186,407
United Kingdom: 133,041
France: 114,773
Italy: 129,410
Spain: 84,795
Mexico: 262,221
Poland: 75,379
South Africa: 83,161
Indonesia: 135,469
Netherlands: 18,026
Canada: 27,006
Chile: 37,041
Belgium: 25,397
Philippines: 34,062
Japan : 16,247
Bolivia: 18,486
Australia: 1,036
Peru: 198,420

•••
I like this guy - his take on anti-vaxxers who are filling up the hospitals. Note - language warning:

https://www.tiktok.com/@speakthetruth101/video/6992891922859740422?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1

A related story to the video: I was talking the other day with an old associate who was supposed to go into a hospital awhile ago to get a tube removed, that he had because of cancer. He couldn't get in till a couple weeks ago because of covid and covid patients - most all unvaxxed - affecting the hospitals. He came out with 3 tubes - the delay had caused complications.

And I was talking to a nurse who was doing contact calls today with people whose covid test results had come back positive. Some are already in hospital and some should be, she said.
A 22 month old who needs to be in hospital; an 11 year old whose skin is feeling like it's being cut all over by razor blades; 20+ year olds sicker than they've ever been before; a lot from different construction companies/sites; more kids; ...... . It's assumed they all have the more serious Delta variant now.

All the infected unvaccinated people who she talked to said they'll be getting covid shots as soon as they're able to - they don't want to go through it again, if possible, especially the ones who are really feeling it. Except for one of them. He said he won't because a friend stayed home for a month and a half from his shot. She told him his friend was more likely either playing it up so he could collect free covid lost work payments, or could've caught covid around the time he got his shot and that's what put him down, and for that long. It's what happened to her - got her 1st covid shot the day she started feeling covid symptoms. But it didn't put her down. Maybe because it wasn't the Delta variant she got, but the original version? She got it back in January.

Last edited:
•••
And if all that isn't enough ...

Oklahoma hospitals deluged by ivermectin overdoses, doctor says

An Oklahoma doctor has said overdoses of the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin, which many believe without evidence can prevent or cure Covid-19, are helping cause delays and problems for rural hospitals and ambulance services struggling to cope with the resurgent pandemic.

Ivermectin is used to kill internal and external parasites in livestock animals and, in smaller doses, in humans.

“There’s a reason you have to have a doctor to get a prescription for this stuff, because it can be dangerous,” Dr Jason McElyea, a family doctor in Sallisaw, told KFOR, an Oklahoma TV station.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/04/oklahoma-doctor-ivermectin-covid-coronavirus

•••
Current Covid19 death numbers as of 9:00 am EST are below, primarily from the source in the original post (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus). If your country of interest is not listed below, simply go to the link above to do a search for relevant information.

Total: 4,592,436
United States: 666,559
Brazil: 583,866
India: 441,075
Russia: 188,785
United Kingdom: 133,274
France: 115,007
Italy: 129,567
Spain: 84,928
Mexico: 263,470
Poland: 75,392
South Africa: 83,617
Indonesia: 137,156
Netherlands: 18,040
Canada: 27,022
Chile: 37,108
Belgium: 25,421
Philippines: 34,498
Japan : 16,387
Bolivia: 18,512
Australia: 1,052
Peru: 198,523

•••
COVID Mu: Everything You Need To Know About the New Coronavirus Variant

The World Health Organization (WHO) has added another coronavirus variant to its list to monitor. It’s called the mu variant and has been designated a variant of interest (VOI). What this means is that mu has genetic differences to the other known variants and is causing infections in multiple countries, so therefore might present a particular threat to public health.

It’s possible that mu’s genetic changes might make it more transmissible, allow it to cause more severe disease and render it more able to escape the immune response driven by vaccines or infection with previous variants. This in turn might leave it less susceptible to treatments.

Note the word might. A VOI is not a variant of concern (VOC), which is a variant that has been proven to acquire one of those characteristics, making it more dangerous and so more consequential. Mu is being monitored closely to see if it should be re-designated as a VOC. We have to hope not.

There are four other VOIs being watched by the WHO – eta, iota, kappa and lambda – but none of these have been reclassified as a VOC. That might be the case with mu as well, but we have to await further data.

What makes mu particularly interesting (and concerning) is that it has what the WHO calls a “constellation of mutations that indicate potential properties of immune escape”. In other words, it has the hallmarks of being able to get around existing vaccine protection.

more...

https://scitechdaily.com/covid-mu-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-coronavirus-variant/

•••
And if all that isn't enough ...

Oklahoma hospitals deluged by ivermectin overdoses, doctor says

An Oklahoma doctor has said overdoses of the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin, which many believe without evidence can prevent or cure Covid-19, are helping cause delays and problems for rural hospitals and ambulance services struggling to cope with the resurgent pandemic.

Ivermectin is used to kill internal and external parasites in livestock animals and, in smaller doses, in humans.

“There’s a reason you have to have a doctor to get a prescription for this stuff, because it can be dangerous,” Dr Jason McElyea, a family doctor in Sallisaw, told KFOR, an Oklahoma TV station.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/04/oklahoma-doctor-ivermectin-covid-coronavirus

How some people make it through the day without getting hit by a car or herd of cows...

Another anti-covid macho man mouthpiece now sucking for air:

Florida Councilman Who Mocked Dr. ‘Falsey’ Fauci Is Hospitalized With Severe COVID

Fred Lowry, a councilman for Florida’s Volusia County and a loud COVID-19 denier, is in the hospital with a severe case of COVID-19, according to the County Chair Jeff Brower. “He is in the hospital wrestling with COVID-19. It’s been about three weeks now,” Brower said on Tuesday as Lowry, 66, missed a county council meeting for the second time.

Lowry, a Republican halfway through his second term on the Volusia County Council, spread COVID-19 disinformation and conspiracy theories, going so far as to say the pandemic was a hoax. “We were lied to,” he said in a sermon at Denton’s Lakes Baptist Church. Lowry often criticized Dr. Anthony Fauci, whom he nicknamed “Dr. Falsey,” and insisted the top health official was a liar and pervert. Other conspiracies Lowry promoted had to do with media coverage of hydroxychloroquine and the Wuhan lab-leak theory.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fred-...ouncilman-hospitalized-with-covid-19?ref=home

I'm fed up with these people. As the nurse I talk to who has to deal with them constantly puts it, Dumb asses.

Last edited:
•••
•••
These fridge-free COVID-19 vaccines are grown in plants and bacteria

Nanoengineers at the University of California San Diego have developed COVID-19 vaccine candidates that can take the heat. Their key ingredients? Viruses from plants or bacteria.

The new fridge-free COVID-19 vaccines are still in the early stage of development. In mice, the vaccine candidates triggered high production of neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. If they prove to be safe and effective in people, the vaccines could be a big game changer for global distribution efforts, including those in rural areas or resource-poor communities.

"What's exciting about our vaccine technology is that is thermally stable, so it could easily reach places where setting up ultra-low temperature freezers, or having trucks drive around with these freezers, is not going to be possible," said Nicole Steinmetz, a professor of nanoengineering and the director of the Center for Nano-ImmunoEngineering at the UC San Diego Jacobs School of Engineering.

The vaccines are detailed in a paper published Sept. 7 in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.

The researchers created two COVID-19 vaccine candidates. One is made from a plant virus, called cowpea mosaic virus. The other is made from a bacterial virus, or bacteriophage, called Q beta. (more)

https://phys.org/news/2021-09-fridge-free-covid-vaccines-grown-bacteria.html

•••
Pfizer picked a COVID-19 vaccine dose far lower than Moderna's to minimize side effects, its top scientist says (msn.com)

"Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine has 30 micrograms of mRNA, the active ingredient of the vaccine, and Moderna's has 100 micrograms. Scientists have speculated this could be a reason why Pfizer's shot produced a lower antibody response than Moderna's in recent studies.

Philip Dormitzer, chief scientific officer at Pfizer, told the Financial Times on Wednesday that Pfizer and co-developer BioNTech "used the minimum dose level" that they could to get an immune response that was stronger than simply catching COVID-19."

-----

30 vs 100 micrograms seems a big difference to try justifying with "minimize side effects" alone... but maybe it was a best choice, at least at the beginning(?)

Knowing this, which one would you prefer getting. Right now, with the Delta variant, I'm thinking probably Moderna for me, in part because I had only slight drowsiness from Pfizer shots. But maybe I'd change that thought after getting more info.

Last edited:
•••
I notice none of you have ever posted the number of people who have died from the vaccines … have stroke like symptoms and are now bed ridden … have enlarged hearts … blood clots …

I guess none of that matters ?? Those statistics don’t meet you all’s criteria eh ??

Ivermectin is used in humans to treat round worms and other conditions .. it’s not anything new … it has been around a long time ..

Last edited:
•••
I notice none of you have ever posted the number of people who have died from the vaccines … have stroke like symptoms and are now bed ridden … have enlarged hearts … blood clots …

I guess none of that matters ?? Those statistics don’t meet you all’s criteria eh ??

Ivermectin is used in humans to treat round worms and other conditions .. it’s not anything new … it has been around a long time ..

The hospitals are full of unvaccinated people with COVID, not vaccinated people from side effects.

The same people who say vaccines are not proven to be effective, despite endless empirical data, are now turning to horse dewormers for a use where no proper peer reviewed medical studies show it being effective. It is laughable.

The drug is used for very specific parasitic infections.

I am just amazed how many people reject the actual science and medicine from actual trained professionals, and instead substitute in their Dunning-Kruger version of "research".

Every pseudoscience bullshit is the "cure" but not the actual cure...The vaccine.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Vaccines save MILLIONS of lives every year around the world, and covid-19 vaccines are no exception. But I guess that doesn't matter to anti-vaxxers and science deniers.

The COVID-19 vaccine may have saved 279,000 lives in the US, study shows

https://usatoday.com/story/news/hea...accine-american-lives-saved-study/7915465002/

"The U.S. vaccination program against COVID-19 may have saved 279,000 lives and prevented 1.25 million hospitalizations, a new study shows.

Researchers at Yale and the Commonwealth Fund used models based on number of COVID-19 infections, hospitalizations and deaths to determine the impact of the U.S. vaccination effort. Without it, the U.S. would have seen a variant-driven “spring surge” in cases resulting in about 4,500 deaths per day, the authors found.

The U.S. saw a rate of 4,000 deaths per day during January, prior to vaccination efforts."

Last edited:
•••
To not get the vaccine you literally need to have the belief that the vaccine is more dangerous than actually getting COVID, which is obviously absurd.

With the delta variant basically everyone is either going to get the vaccine or get COVID sooner or later. Many vaccinated people will still get COVID, but the symptoms are far less severe.

Long COVID is a major issue. Many people don't really get over COVID. They have long lasting effects from the damage done to their body.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The hospitals are full of unvaccinated people with COVID, not vaccinated people from side effects.

The same people who say vaccines are not proven to be effective, despite endless empirical data, are now turning to horse dewormers for a use where no proper peer reviewed medical studies show it being effective. It is laughable.

The drug is used for very specific parasitic infections.

I am just amazed how many people reject the actual science and medicine from actual trained professionals, and instead substitute in their Dunning-Kruger version of "research".

Every pseudoscience bullshit is the "cure" but not the actual cure...The vaccine.

Brad

I was just asking about the statistics of people who have died from the covid vaccine .. the stats on people who are bed ridden with stroke like symptoms … Enlarged heart and blood clots ..Bells Palsy … the manufactures don’t deny these effects … there is just never any statistics in regards to any of the above … things people don’t want to talk about

•••
I like this guy - his take on anti-vaxxers who are filling up the hospitals. Note - language warning:

https://www.tiktok.com/@speakthetruth101/video/6992891922859740422?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1
I quite agree with what this guy is saying on that video. If you don't believe in vaccines anb don't want to get vaccinated because you think covid-19 is fake, then don't run later to the hospital when you get the virus.

"99% of people right now on the hospital is unvaccinated, if you f*king believe that covid is not real, and you really believe that you don't need to get the vaccine, that is your f*king right, but then why you run to the hospital when you get the virus?
If you don't trust the medical field to prevent from getting the virus, why do you trust them to cure you from it? Why are you running to the f*king hospital? If you really believe that covid is not a big deal and you don't want to get the vaccine because it's not a big deal, stick to your f*king guns and keep your **** ass at home."

Last edited:
•••
“U.S. is averaging 1,500 vaccinations a day, for the first time since March.”

•••
I was just asking about the statistics of people who have died from the covid vaccine .. the stats on people who are bed ridden with stroke like symptoms … Enlarged heart and blood clots ..Bells Palsy … the manufactures don’t deny these effects … there is just never any statistics in regards to any of the above … things people don’t want to talk about

There have been plenty of studies on side effects. Most of the very serious, potentially deadly, side effects are 1 in the hundreds of thousands or higher range.

It is also something that is hard to tie correlation to causation. Like if you are 78, get vaccinated, then die of a blood clot or heart attack a month later that is not very rare statistically. Old people die on a regular basis of those conditions, without a vaccine.

In the US -

At least 207,589,611 people or 63% of the population have received at least one dose.
Overall, 176,659,496 people or 54% of the population have been fully vaccinated.

More than 95% of the people in the hospital, or dying of COVID are unvaccinated.

With that type of statistical deviation, and sample size, it is not even debatable that the vaccine is effective. It is effective at mitigating spread and even more so at limiting the severity of the infection.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Vaccines save MILLIONS of lives every year around the world, and covid-19 vaccines are no exception. But I guess that doesn't matter to anti-vaxxers and science deniers.

The COVID-19 vaccine may have saved 279,000 lives in the US, study shows

https://usatoday.com/story/news/hea...accine-american-lives-saved-study/7915465002/

"The U.S. vaccination program against COVID-19 may have saved 279,000 lives and prevented 1.25 million hospitalizations, a new study shows.

Researchers at Yale and the Commonwealth Fund used models based on number of COVID-19 infections, hospitalizations and deaths to determine the impact of the U.S. vaccination effort. Without it, the U.S. would have seen a variant-driven “spring surge” in cases resulting in about 4,500 deaths per day, the authors found.

The U.S. saw a rate of 4,000 deaths per day during January, prior to vaccination efforts."

of course .. and I have always thought vaccines are very effective for disease and influenza… with the covid vaccine .. not so much .. we the people are the test subjects of the covid vaccine .. unlike other vaccines that have gone through extensive laboratory testing with most not being available to the general public for a min of 3 years … no matter how you spill it .. there are two sides to the covid - 19 vaccines .. people who refuse to vaccinated such as myself have a valid argument for not taking it at this time … I don’t criticize or throw scrutiny on those who have taken the vaccine .. that is persons choice .. but do to the risks and ect .. people who don’t take it should get the same respect …. The stats of deaths and other complications from the vaccines should be just a transparent as the amount of people who have taken the vaccine and the amount of covid cases and ect IMO

•••
“U.S. is averaging 1,500 vaccinations a day, for the first time since March.”
Samer, I think you are wrong about the headline. Its 1,500 deaths a day in the US.
Vaccination rate in the US lately has been around 1,000,000 vaccines a day.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

U.S. covid death toll hits 1,500 a day amid delta scourge

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/09/03/delta-deaths-us-fourth-wave/

"Nationally, covid-19 deaths have climbed steadily in recent weeks, hitting a seven-day average of about 1,500 a day Thursday, after falling to the low 200s in early July."

Last edited:
•••
we the people are the test subjects of the covid vaccine .. unlike other vaccines that have gone through extensive laboratory testing with most not being available to the general public for a min of 3 years … no matter how you spill it .. there are two sides to the covid - 19 vaccines .. people who refuse to vaccinated such as myself have a valid argument for not taking it at this time … I don’t criticize or throw scrutiny on those who have taken the vaccine .. that is persons choice .. but do to the risks and ect .. people who don’t take it should get the same respect …. The stats of deaths and other complications from the vaccines should be just a transparent as the amount of people who have taken the vaccine and the amount of covid cases and ect IMO

I don't have any problem really with people questioning the speed of the vaccine, but the proof is in the pudding. Serious side effects are very rare, and the vaccine is highly effective.

When you have 54% of the total population fully vaccinated, but the 46% unvaccinated are making up 95% - 99% of COVID hospitalizations and deaths, you simply can't make a reasonable argument that it is not highly effective.

This is empirical data based on a massive sample size.

It is so puzzling to me that the same people turn to potential far more dangerous, far less effective, and far less studied treatments like Ivermectin. It makes no sense.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
of course .. and I have always thought vaccines are very effective for disease and influenza… with the covid vaccine .. not so much .. we the people are the test subjects of the covid vaccine .. unlike other vaccines that have gone through extensive laboratory testing with most not being available to the general public for a min of 3 years … no matter how you spill it .. there are two sides to the covid - 19 vaccines .. people who refuse to vaccinated such as myself have a valid argument for not taking it at this time … I don’t criticize or throw scrutiny on those who have taken the vaccine .. that is persons choice .. but do to the risks and ect .. people who don’t take it should get the same respect …. The stats of deaths and other complications from the vaccines should be just a transparent as the amount of people who have taken the vaccine and the amount of covid cases and ect IMO
You have your right to not get vaccinated. But believe me, sooner than later we all are going to see face to face covid-19 and one of its variants. And believe me, then you will wish you had been vaccinated before getting the virus.

we the people are the test subjects of the covid vaccine ..
This is not right. Labs have been testing the vaccines through the normal clinical trials path. Vaccines have been previosly tested and proven with thousands of people in testing trials.
Current science advances, among them the mRNA technology, have made the development of these vaccines possible in a time record. Thanks to the current science advances for having such advanced and effective vaccines in record time.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back