IT.COM

news Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Having relatives and friends scattered all over the globe, I am getting an overload of input (some on the record and some off the record).

My intention for this thread is for community members from around the world to post first hand stories and/or links to information sources that, for the most part, should be reliable.

In my community, just outside a major southeastern city, 'assets' have been placed. Only because I have friends in both high and low places have I heard about some of this. At this point it is only some basic medical supplies that should be equally distributed anyway in preparation for a natural emergency (hurricane/wildfire/etc.).

I will start with posting a link to a site with current data that seems to come from an aggregate of sources and hope others will do the same as they come across similar sites/pages.

Because of the 'typhoid Mary' spread-ability of this disease, I feel we may be in for a really large spread globally which will impact the global economy and through extension, retail domain prices.

One thing is for sure...things will get worse before they get better.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa-coronavirus/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In China, the COVID outbreak occurred at the worst possible time - Chinese New Year - when mass numbers of people were travelling home (coincidentally the Year of the Rat - it was the rat which spread the Black Death in Europe thru infected fleas, which when the rodent died went on to bite humans). If bird flu affected the turkey population it would have a similar effect during traditional holidays in US/Canada.

Don't forget the thousands protesting in the streets of Hong Kong. Spitting on cops and so on, then there's video (UNCONFIRMED) of Chinese infected people spitting and coughing on elevator buttons and hand rails as well to purposely infect others.

•••
^ that's just nasty :hungover:

Again off topic, in HK there is strict gun control - they do not have the right to bear arms protected by a Constitution in their fight for Democracy.

•••
It looked practically apocalyptic Down Under as women tussled over toilet paper.

Viral video shows three women in a wild fight in an Australian store — sparked by a mother and her daughter hoarding toilet paper amid panic over the coronavirus.

“I just want one pack!” demanded one woman as she confronted the pair who had a shopping trolley piled high with bathroom supplies in a Woolworths in western Sydney.

“No — not one pack,” the 60-year-old mother of the pair said sternly in the video viewed more than 200,000 times after being tweeted Saturday by 9News.

The trio had been seen grabbing each other, trading blows, then blaming each other for starting Saturday’s brawl

“Are you joking? Are you f—ing joking?” one woman was heard asking after onlookers helped break apart the fight, with a staff member telling them, “Look what you’re doing. You’re fighting over tissues.”

https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1236554445351247877?s=20

•••
•••

If you are a gambler, you can bet your house, your kids college fund, your 401K that it didn't come from that market in Wuhan China, nor did it come from a bat, a cobra snake or anything of the likes of.

People are not panicking and that is a great thing to see, I see more store shelves empty of bleach products, water, toilet paper and such, so the anxiety is growing, but staying calm will prevail no matter what.

Last edited:
•••
Wow...long video...not enough time...got anything shorter? I am going to contact poster and give him a little audio recording advice! :xf.smile:
Just wasted 35 mins watching the first half of the linked video, so you don't have to.

lol ..I only just watched the first minute before knowing it was going to be a waste of time .. they try to sensationalise themselves by dispelling what they think is a reported fact that there are bodies dying in the streets!? I haven't seen a single report that comes anything remotely close to making such claims. In fact all reports point to claims that the majority of people recover from Covid-19.

It has the potential for significant spread due to the fact a person can have it and be actively spreading it for 10 days or more before the onset of symptoms.
This is looking like less and less of an issue .. while apparently it seems like it indeed is possible, current evidence points to it only being a minority of cases and that the bulk of spread is done by people with symptoms. Obviously it's still early and that info is not "fact". A lot of this stage of the spread is simply from people not really thinking they had it (only having a cold)

add: I think the adjusted death rate globally will be 12% or more
I think it's more likely the rate will be adjusted down as there are likely a large number of cases undetected and/or unreported. Although conversely that also means it's more contagious than reported.

I agree , however the final outcome of coronavirus ends up, the CDC , WHO, either weren't prepared or just turned their heads the other way.
It doesn't help that the "leader of the free world" is ______________:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/28/trump-south-carolina-rally-coronavirus-118269

Regular flu - 16,000 dead, 280,000+ hospitalized this flu season
Coronavirus - 22 dead
Which one are people freaking out with.
People really need to stop comparing Covid-19 to the regular flu. While the regular flu is more agreesive in some ways .. it's also seasonal .. and while Covid-19 and all similar coronaviruses will slow in hotter/dryer weather, it's looking very likely that it won't stop or slow it nearly as close to the levels of seasonal flu .. meaning this will keep going until (1) it's contained; (2) it's cured; or (3) it burns out because enough people were infected that humanity develops enough of an immunity to it to serious slow it's contagion rate. At this point it's growing, and the only way to stop/slow it is political/policy preventative measures like closing schools, quarantines, etc. Aside from that the next hope is that a current existing medication shows to help .. otherwise if policy doesn't work (50/50 at this point, but really not looking good) a new vaccine needs to be created + tested + distributed, it's doubtful this thing will be solved before next winter .. at which point the world will be in a lot of trouble.

If you only read a single article, this is probably the best one:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...ovid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

•••
I think it's more likely the rate will be adjusted down as there are likely a large number of cases undetected and/or unreported. Although conversely that also means it's more contagious than reported.

The 'unreported' part of what you say is the key here...it has been being misdiagnosed as a 'really bad case of the flu' in a large number of cases.

In the US it may stay in the single digit rate...sadly, in other parts of the world it will easily make it into the double digits (reasons should be obvious),

Again, I hope I am wrong and it mutates itself out of existence.

Last edited:
•••
General advice for anyone: If your community is not addressing this, at least putting it on the agenda for discussion in the upcoming weekly/monthly meeting, may I suggest you find more responsible/stronger leaders. Make a call and inquire...you may find significant information can be learned that is reassuring. My buddies in the 'civil' business tell me some communities are being quite proactive...mine is.

•••
I've been an investor my whole life...name it and I've probably done it ...precious metals, stocks. calls/puts, commodities, funds, etc) and I always have money available to jump on (or off) trends to make a few dollars. I was day trading before most people knew what that term meant.

The point is that I've decided not to profit off all this (covid) in any manner...of course it is a personal decision and there are significant profits to be made it you have the stomach to play daily/weekly trends...some I know have made a huge profit playing the fall:

Global stocks plunge as oil crashes and coronavirus fear spreads

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/investing/stock-dow-futures-coronavirus/index.html

The new buzz phrase is 'social distancing' and here is some info about protocols:

Recommendations in this document for actions by public health authorities apply primarily to US jurisdictions that are not experiencing sustained community transmission. CDC will provide separate guidance for US jurisdictions with sustained community transmission.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/risk-assessment.html

•••
I've been an investor my whole life...name it and I've probably done it ...precious metals, stocks. calls/puts, commodities, funds, etc) and I always have money available to jump on (or off) trends to make a few dollars. I was day trading before most people knew what that term meant.

The point is that I've decided not to profit off all this (covid) in any manner...of course it is a personal decision and there are significant profits to be made it you have the stomach to play daily/weekly trends...some I know have made a huge profit playing the fall:

Global stocks plunge as oil crashes and coronavirus fear spreads

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/investing/stock-dow-futures-coronavirus/index.html

The new buzz phrase is 'social distancing' and here is some info about protocols:

Recommendations in this document for actions by public health authorities apply primarily to US jurisdictions that are not experiencing sustained community transmission. CDC will provide separate guidance for US jurisdictions with sustained community transmission.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/risk-assessment.html

the US economy is falling rapidly, so is the world economy, and it’s just the beginning because if they are projecting simply over the coronavirus speculation today, we don’t have even 10% of the cases yet to come, when virus infection cases inflate, the world economy will completely tank.

•••
1528781d28a7590d5863c9e99231a9c28758faa2.jpg

•••
I'll give you one...only one...guess.
lol ..I only just watched the first minute before knowing it was going to be a waste of time .. they try to sensationalise themselves by dispelling what they think is a reported fact that there are bodies dying in the streets!? I haven't seen a single report that comes anything remotely close to making such claims. In fact all reports point to claims that the majority of people recover from Covid-19.

This is looking like less and less of an issue .. while apparently it seems like it indeed is possible, current evidence points to it only being a minority of cases and that the bulk of spread is done by people with symptoms. Obviously it's still early and that info is not "fact". A lot of this stage of the spread is simply from people not really thinking they had it (only having a cold)

It doesn't help that the "leader of the free world" is ______________:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/28/trump-south-carolina-rally-coronavirus-118269

People really need to stop comparing Covid-19 to the regular flu. While the regular flu is more agreesive in some ways .. it's also seasonal .. and while Covid-19 and all similar coronaviruses will slow in hotter/dryer weather, it's looking very likely that it won't stop or slow it nearly as close to the levels of seasonal flu .. meaning this will keep going until (1) it's contained; (2) it's cured; or (3) it burns out because enough people were infected that humanity develops enough of an immunity to it to serious slow it's contagion rate. At this point it's growing, and the only way to stop/slow it is political/policy preventative measures like closing schools, quarantines, etc. Aside from that the next hope is that a current existing medication shows to help .. otherwise if policy doesn't work (50/50 at this point, but really not looking good) a new vaccine needs to be created + tested + distributed, it's doubtful this thing will be solved before next winter .. at which point the world will be in a lot of trouble.

If you only read a single article, this is probably the best one:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...ovid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

Yeah, you kind of missed the point of my post.

----------------------------

Hard to keep up with all the closings, cancelled events now.

•••
Italy extends its quarantine to the entire country; PM asks residents to stay at home

Italy will expand the lockdown of the Lombardy region to the entire country, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said Monday as Italy’s case count surged, making it the country with the most COVID-19 cases outside of China.

People throughout the country of 60 million should not travel other than for work and emergencies, Conte said. He added that all public gatherings will be banned and sporting events suspended. The decision was made to protect the most vulnerable people in the country, he said, and the measures will take effect Tuesday and last until April 3.

•••
Italy extends its quarantine to the entire country; PM asks residents to stay at home

Italy will expand the lockdown of the Lombardy region to the entire country, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said Monday as Italy’s case count surged, making it the country with the most COVID-19 cases outside of China.

People throughout the country of 60 million should not travel other than for work and emergencies, Conte said. He added that all public gatherings will be banned and sporting events suspended. The decision was made to protect the most vulnerable people in the country, he said, and the measures will take effect Tuesday and last until April 3.

a very smart action to take under their current circumstances IMO, their economy will completely tank but they can recover

•••
.x is an alarmist....
Our economy will not tank.
Italy won't tank.
Only the liberals are yelling and screaming, economy will go down to nothing!!!!
Like .x

Last edited:
•••
.x is an alarmist....
Our economy will not tank.
Geesh......You need to get out and see our country more.

is what I am viewing on the stock market not really what is happening??

our economy as opposed to January 2020 has already tanked

•••
(I know I said I wasn't posting here anymore, but I'm still in process of winding down my account, so thought I'd share in the meantime)

This was the scene at my local Kroger today, just 2 hours after Ohio announced our first 3 cases of COVID-19:

tpcovid.jpg

Might not be long & people could be wiping their ass with newspaper.

•••
Just gettign back into work mode...the golf outing turned into a golf dinner then a golf dudes night out...hard to keep up with the whipper snapper in the group but I did it!

Hopefully all are well (in real life and in the thread) and no trolls have crept in...so many things have happened overnight (an entire country on lock-down, one of largest universities in US suspends classes) I'm hoping responsible citizens of this and all countries have been posting relevant and helpful information.

•••
LOL at the pic above. I guess Bob will use his finger to clean his lowest external sphincter (common in some parts of the planet) but I choose the pampering of paper.

Being prepared and panic buying are two different things. Only an ignorant person is not prepared (see definition of ignorant below).

Pre 9-11 we were told to have 3 days of supplies in the event of some unforeseen incident that would disrupt life and halt food, water and power supplies; post 9-11 that number was raised to 3 weeks. Many of the uniformed, ignorant or weak (either in spirit, mind or finances) do not have enough supplies for the shorter term, much less the longer. Even those that know better have used their emergency supplies in the normal course of life have found their back up food, water, TP and medicines are woefully lacking. All that is happening now is people are getting prepared to the levels they should have been. Only in a few very isolated incidents have people gotten out of hand (probably alcohol related).

As of now, thankfully, things in the US have not gotten to the level of panic buying. But if our leaders (both parties) do not work together, a tipping point will be reached assuming the current infection/death numbers continue on their mathematical trajectory Then panic buying is likely across the country with the exception of isolated communities.

As I was typing the above, I began to wonder about Bob. I wonder if Bob ever lived/worked in a 3rd world country (not on extended vacation, not living on a military base) and had to exist with none of the 'comforts' available to many people. I wonder if Bob has ever seen a man in a three piece suit push a 80 year old woman to the floor to get the last gallon jug of water on the shelf of a store that was completely empty. I wonder if Bob ever had to take 12 shots and be vetted by the military of a country before being allowed 'in' to help local people remain calm and get supplies needed to survive. I wonder if Bob has ever had to siphon gas from lawnmowers, tractors, atvs because there was no gasoline available; and travel...to deliver food...required it. I wonder if Bob ever had to defend himself (and others) with a weapon, more than once, against groups of 'people' stealing money, food and/or property.

Well, I don't know if Bob has been through all that but I have. This is why I have three weeks of supplies, including toilet paper, on hand at all times.

ignorant: lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing...lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

Last edited:
•••
A few days old but the facts remain..

mediascore.jpeg

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
NYC announces 1-mile containment area in suburb; National Guard deployed

(Source: CNN, NBC, Coumo's announcement)

Starting on Thursday, facilities and schools within the area will be closed for two weeks. The National Guard will help deliver food to homes and clean public spaces in the containment area.

Gov. Cuomo described it as a “matter of life and death.”

New Rochelle is “a particular problem,” Cuomo said, adding that “the numbers have been going up, the numbers continue to go up, the numbers are going up unabated.”

Cuomo stressed the shutting facilities in the area is a "dramatic action" that applies to “large congregate facilities for gatherings,” including schools and temples, but not "everything."

All schools in the area will close, and large gatherings have been canceled. People can go in and out of the containment zone, and small businesses can remain open, Cuomo says.

1e746e91-8712-44a1-ab4a-1c085c22e809.jpg

----------------

There are 173 confirmed coronavirus cases in New York State, up 31 from yesterday, according to the New York Governor.

This includes an additional 17 cases in New York City, bringing the city’s total to 36.

Westchester County has 108 cases and continues to be the county with the most confirmed cases.

-----------------

My reaction:

- Is this a "first step", as in Italy, before a far more expansive action in 1-3 days?
- Since people can come and go, will this really help?

Last edited:
•••
NYC announces 1-mile containment area in suburb; National Guard deployed

(Source: CNN, NBC, Coumo's announcement)

Starting on Thursday, facilities and schools within the area will be closed for two weeks. The National Guard will help deliver food to homes and clean public spaces in the containment area.

Gov. Cuomo described it as a “matter of life and death.”

New Rochelle is “a particular problem,” Cuomo said, adding that “the numbers have been going up, the numbers continue to go up, the numbers are going up unabated.”

Cuomo stressed the shutting facilities in the area is a "dramatic action" that applies to “large congregate facilities for gatherings,” including schools and temples, but not "everything."

All schools in the area will close, and large gatherings have been canceled. People can go in and out of the containment zone, and small businesses can remain open, Cuomo says.

1e746e91-8712-44a1-ab4a-1c085c22e809.jpg

----------------

There are 173 confirmed coronavirus cases in New York State, up 31 from yesterday, according to the New York Governor.

This includes an additional 17 cases in New York City, bringing the city’s total to 36.

Westchester County has 108 cases and continues to be the county with the most confirmed cases.

-----------------

My reaction:

- Is this a "first step", as in Italy, before a far more expansive action in 1-3 days?
- Since people can come and go, will this really help?

I won’t be surprised if I start seeing mandatory quarantine in cities by the end of next week. FEMA in two weeks is a possibility as well, hope I am wrong

•••
via Ohio Gov. DeWine:

Through the limiting of large events, our goal is to dramatically slow down the spread of #COVID19 and save lives. Now is the time to take action.

The truth is that #COVID19 is dangerous. We can't ignore it. We can't wish it away. We have to call it as it is.

ATHLETICS: For indoor events, we are asking for no events with spectators other than the athletes, parents, and others essential to the game. Right now, outdoor events can continue.

K-12: The recommendation today is not to close K-12 schools. However, schools should be prepared in case they do close in the future, and parents should also be prepared for the possibility of needing to stay home with their kids.

HIGHER EDUCATION: I am asking these institutions to:
- screen students returning from international travel or cruise ships - eliminate international travel - cancel/postpone university-sponsored travel and large meetings
- move toward online/remote learning

PRISONS: We have ended prison visitation for the time being. Entrance to the Ohio's prisons will be restricted.

---------------------

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Gov is getting a lot of backlash particularly with regard to Athletics (NCAA March Madness starting soon, NHL & NBA in full swing, MLS & MLB starting, etc).

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back