Not open for further replies.
Hello Mods and Members,

Take a guess at the date and time the
1,000,000th
member joins NamePros and you could
Win tickets to
NamesCon 2018
Contest has begun: Click Here
It is posted in the Contests and Online Fun section.
The Contest will be closed to submissions Sunday, April 30th at 12:00am GMT.

Any guesses in this thread will not be saved
and must be made in the contest thread. :)

This is how it's shaping up.
You can see the progression,
start evaluating when it will hit

204 left to go.
151 left to go.

5 / 12 / 17
Members:

5 / 9 / 17

Members:

4/14/17
Members:

4/1/17
Members
*** 998,674 ***

3/11/17
Members:
>>> 998,098 <<<

2/7/17
Members

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I joined in 2004, I was member 6671, a complete n00b
and I fell in love with this place right from the start.
Back then NP was known as "that other" forum,
where the members were helpful and unselfish,
like that was a bad thing. NamePros had / has a soul.
Well brothers and sisters, look at NP now.
All grown up, still helpful to all, and "#1 with a bullet".
Thanks to everyone along the way that contributed to
what has always been an outstanding community.
Peace,
Cyberian

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I might have to do my part when it gets close then. Take one for the team.

•••
Having run many forums myself I can tell you there are tons of bogus or duplicate accounts. Lots of closed accounts and usually half are inactive accounts.

If you sell a forum you need to have accurate numbers of users who have visited/posted in the last year.

Having been on this forum for only a short time I see lots of closed accounts etc, so the number is probably nowhere near an actual representation of active users.

Last edited:
•••
@MapleDots
If you don't care to participate, feel free to ignore this thread. ;)
Thank you.

Peace,
Cyberian

•••
•••
@MapleDots
If you don't care to participate, feel free to ignore this thread. ;)
Thank you.

Peace,
Cyberian

I am not arguing the accomplishment, it is a phenomenal achievement but it is still good to have facts.

I stated facts and I would love to see active users. Almost all forum software now allows you to display active users. That would be an interesting number to know when deciding if I want to advertise on namePros.

Peace to you too brother!

Last edited:
•••
Having been on this forum for only a short time I see lots of closed accounts etc, so I guarantee the number is no where near accurate.
Kinda stating the obvious..Forum full of current/previous forum owners/admins/mods, plenty of webmasters etc that have to deal with "bots" it just part of the business!

Anyway you are entitled to your opinion just like I am to mine..Have a great day, eh!

•••
Kinda stating the obvious..Forum full of current/previous forum owners/admins/mods, plenty of webmasters etc that have to deal with "bots" it just part of the business!

Anyway you are entitled to your opinion just like I am to mine..Have a great day, eh!

Guys, I am not trying to argue....
I am just saying it would be nice to know active users. Even getting to 100,000 of those would be an achievement few forums have had.

If a newspaper says they have a million subscribers, they can only count the people still subscribing. They cannot count all the people who have ever subscribed.

So I am not belittling the accomplishment, its still a heck of an accomplishment. It's just an inside webmaster response because as we valued the net worth of forums we based it upon current active users. Active users allowed us to quote accurate information to advertisers as well.

So please continue with your excitement to your countdown, I am also rooting for number 1,000,000 (y)

•••
•••
Member number 88,138 Joined: Mar 30, 2008
Member number 1,000,000 Joined: ?

Located on the front page
  • Forum Statistics
Discussions: 1,010,215
Members: 998,734

Cheers
Corey

Last edited:
•••
I stated facts and I would love to see active users. Almost all forum software now allows you to display active users. That would be an interesting number to know when deciding if I want to advertise on namePros.
If you haven't noticed, our advertising spots are full. ;) The stats they care about are all shown on Quantcast for the world to see. In our experience, paying advertisers are only interested in numbers that matter to their business/marketing: https://www.quantcast.com/namepros.com

Let's please stay on topic. This thread isn't about 1,000,000 perfectly-verified accounts with driver's licenses. It's about a registration number.

Thanks,

•••
•••
Be exciting once we close the number in. kinda like the ultimate milestone

•••
Ladies and Gentlemen,

After much contemplation a final Prize Package has been produced.

Five Prizes for Five Winners:
  • Prize C1: One ticket to NamesCon 2018
  • Prize C2: Two tickets to NamesCon 2018
  • Prize N: 7-day site-wide notice that appears on every page of NamePros for members to promote your domain(s) for sale (e.g., auction) on NamePros. The notice is text-based with a maximum of 100 characters.
  • Prize P: 15-day pinned/sticky thread in the forum section of your choice to promote your domain(s) for sale (e.g., auction) on NamePros
  • Prize S: 30-day sidebar ad to promote your domain(s) for sale (e.g., auction) on NamePros
1st place gets to choose from all available prizes, then 2nd place gets to choose from remaining prizes, and then 3rd place gets to choose from remaining prizes. The prizes that remain after 3rd place chooses will be awarded to randomly selected members until all prizes have been given out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
^^^^^ Pretty cool, yeah? ^^^^^

Please Do Not Enter Your Guesses In This Thread.

There will be an entirely new thread just for the contest, so keep your guesses to yourselves.
Guesses entered here wont be saved. You must enter your guess in the contest thread.

Rules and Start Date TBA soon.

Peace,
Cy

Last edited:
•••
Sweet! Will have to keep a eye on this thread..My good eye..lol

•••
Great. I'm on the 1st 100000 members. 77983 to be exact.

NP has more population than Djibouti (911,382 | #159 Place) :xf.cool:

If Chinese bubble kept going for few months, NP could be on #100 population

Anyway, I'd say NP will reach its 1,000,000 member on ???

Last edited:
•••
WAIT
Please don't enter your guesses until the contest starts.

Peace,
Cy

If you don't want the world to see your guess, ask a mod to edit. ;)
Hmmm, I see a mod now. :)

@Lakshan @Paul Buonopane @Eric Lyon

Last edited:
•••
This is slightly off-topic, but it's a good example of how far NamePros has come. :)

Having run many forums myself I can tell you there are tons of bogus or duplicate accounts. Lots of closed accounts and usually half are inactive accounts.

If you sell a forum you need to have accurate numbers of users who have visited/posted in the last year.

Having been on this forum for only a short time I see lots of closed accounts etc, so the number is probably nowhere near an actual representation of active users.

You can see the current activity if you scroll down on https://www.nameprosstatus.com/. As I'm writing this--at an off time--we're getting 103.7 backend requests per second. (That's excluding anything that hits the CDN cache, but not the application caches.) We're currently up to about 40-50 GB of indexed access logs per day.

Yes, people do open duplicate accounts sometimes, but the reason you see closed accounts is that we have a team of developers and security professionals who work to keep the site secure and prevent fraud. That means that when malicious users sign up, they usually get banned pretty quickly--assuming they're able to sign up at all. We block most shady registrations using techniques that are very different from other forums; they're closer to what you might see from PayPal and Google.

Almost all forum software now allows you to display active users. That would be an interesting number to know when deciding if I want to advertise on namePros.

There's actually a very good reason we don't show info like that: caching. We cache very heavily. When the current administration acquired NamePros several years back, the website was hosted on a single dedicated server with more or less vanilla forum software. Even at the time, that wasn't sufficient, and the website went down frequently. We've since rewritten very large parts of the forum software, although we haven't gone so far as to fork it. Some parts simply weren't usable in PHP and have been rewritten in LuaJIT.

Somewhere along the way, we had to sacrifice certain kinds of "live" feedback that appeared on each page or frequently visited pages, especially the homepage. The homepage was particularly problematic because it's already slow to begin with. To get average request times under 100ms, we had to cut most highly dynamic content from the homepage. The dynamic content you see is either loaded via ajax (e.g., chat) or updated "lazily" by separate servers that don't handle web requests (e.g., New Posts). Where possible, frequently accessed content gets stored at the CDN PoPs for a short period so that pages load significantly faster, even for people who aren't near our primary datacenter. Chat is a good example: there could be thousands of browser tabs currently polling for chat updates, but recent messages get cached at 70 or so locations around the world for about a second. If we didn't do that, we'd need a lot more servers, and the request rate on the status page would be significantly higher.

We keep track of how long requests take to complete and store that data (along with a lot more) in Elasticsearch, then query it through Kibana. Here's a chart of request durations over the last 15 minutes (click to view):
Screenshot 2017-04-04 04.25.05.png

The leftmost column is 0ms; those are requests that hit our backend Nginx caches (not the CDN cache). You can see that we're able to serve more than half of the requests that hit our backend from our Nginx caches. The rest of our requests are still generally served within 25-50ms. Another chart focuses on the slowest requests; even requests in the 99th percentile only take about 200ms. The difference between 200ms and 1sec may seem insignificant, but when you're dealing with 100+ requests per second, there's a point at which you can no longer keep up. If your servers don't handle requests quickly, you need a lot more servers, or requests have to wait in queues before the servers even begin to process them--and the queues grow quickly.

tl;dr Displaying stats like that would slow down the site and cost big bucks.

•••
@Paul Buonopane

I love how it's totally off topic but yet still one of the more interesting posts I've read in a while. ;)

WAIT
Please don't enter your guesses until the contest starts.

I've been quoted now but it doesn't matter due to the accuracy of the guess it will take a miracle for anyone to get closer.

It will only be wrong if people strategically setup up second accounts to bring it forward (i.e. cheat) :)

In other words.. the mods can hide it if they want. I didn't know we were waiting...are you setting up an official @johname quality competition grid?

Last edited:
•••
@Paul Buonopane

I love how it's totally off topic but yet still one of the more interesting posts I've read in a while. ;)
Have to agree about the "Uber tech posting" ..
Takes a lot to run a big forum..Big is the operative word..kinda like my backyard is big but so is the universe.

Impressed that you can analyze ten months of data..I can't even balance my check/cheque book. Lol

Hoping my quess was taken in jest..
I know it not official till it is officially announced..

•••
I didn't know we were waiting...are you setting up an official @johname quality competition grid?

Yes, there will be a new thread set up for the contest.
The full set of rules will be posted soon, but the basics are simple:
Date and Time, closest without going over.

Peace,
Cy

Last edited:
•••
Don't Start Your Picks Yet

We have hit
Members:

Get ready...

Peace,
Cy

•••
My god when will the contest start............................................................... :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

•••
@Cyberian when you (or whoever);start the new thread, can you post the new URL here...thanks

•••
got :glasses: on the Forum Statistics now :nailbiting:

Cheers
Corey

•••
Don't Start Your Picks Yet

We have hit
Members:

Get ready...

Peace,
Cy

What happened to my old guess? Is it and was it tracking? :)
By the time it starts it will be over :)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back