Domain Empire

Could there be a buyout of the remaining 4 letter.com's ???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will there be any 4 letter .com's for reg by 1 Jan 2006

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes there will

votes
    64.4%
  • No there won't

votes
    35.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
We are down to around 42,000 of the remaining 4 letter .coms
so at $6 a piece that would mean only $252,000 to buy out all
those that are left. That is chicken feed for some people...will they
survive to the end of the year or will they all be gone by xmas???

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If someone did decide to just buy them all out, it would just make all of three letter .com's 1000x more valuable than they already are. So I think it would be a better move for someone with the financial ability to register all the remaining llll.com's to buy a bunch of lll.com's first.

•••
Frankly,
IMO a buyout does NOT revalue other domains on the long run.
A domain still is unique, and the price is the one a buyer wants to pay for that unique domain.
To respond your question: YES they will all be gone ;)

•••
I actually hope someone does register them all.
Then all mine will go up in value :)

•••
If someone buy them all, there are still 4 letters name dropping! So I think 4 letters will become less but not so quickly disappears!

•••
Perhaps so but if a buyout does occur its difficult to believe that any
4 letters that drop from that point on will not be scooped up as that will be
the only way to get them. They will probably be scopped up by drop catching
services.

•••
I think that as with the remaining few 3 letter domains there will be a buying frenzy soon. Most domains probably wont even be hosted as with the 3 letter domains. Next it will go to 5 letter domains...remember the more letters in a domain the more can be regged because the more combinations are possible. It will take quite some time before all 5 letter domains are gone, I should think.

•••
There are 11.8 million five letter domains. Those could never be "collectors items".

•••
Well I do have one but this is not one of those occasions I am gonna go out and buy more :td:

•••
-RJ- said:
There are 11.8 million five letter domains. Those could never be "collectors items".

er.... I knew that 8-X

•••
Nah, there will always be 4 letter domains available, when domains are regged some will drop etc.

•••
I don't think any one person will buy up 40k+ names, but I certainly think that speculators will reduce this figure. There will almost certainly be 4 letter names available 1-Jan-2006, but I could see them all being registered down the road.

•••
Unless there short and sweet like cool.com, obvious words such as that, or good combinations of LLLL, i cant see that same appeal as LLL domains. The number of abbreviations for three letters dwarfs that of four letters...there just knowhere near as common, so for end-user sales to companies that would be a problem. Mind you i got no idea when godaddy goes out and does tdnam.com.

•••
talkfreelance said:
Nah, there will always be 4 letter domains available, when domains are regged some will drop etc.

I wonder if people discussed this when there were still three letter .com's available.

•••
azt said:
I wonder if people discussed this when there were still three letter .com's available.
They did. I remember it well. I think it's a slightly similar situation. Given the growth of the net it's possible all four letter names will be registered some day. I don't think all the 3 letters were registered until 2000. So if you look at 4-5 years of internet explosion for all the three letters to be taken how long of a time of hyper explosion would it take for the same thing to happen to four letters.

•••
I personally think 4-letter .COMs will be big in the next 2-4 years. This thread prompted me to restart my search for available 4-letter .COMs :tu: !

True_Snake

•••
True_Snake said:
I personally think 4-letter .COMs will be big in the next 2-4 years. This thread prompted me to restart my search for available 4-letter .COMs :tu: !

True_Snake

I think it will be within the next 1-2 years.

•••
There is no doubt that someone is going to buy them all out....it's just a matter of when.......I'd stock up on a few while you can....look at the price of 3 letters these days.....buy now or miss the boat:)

•••
Next year or the year after. Not this year. Now is the time to filter through the remaining ones and find the gems.

•••
I don't think there will be any 4 letter .coms left :(

•••
I've been watching how many 4 letter domains starting with the letter A there ar. The number has dropped from around 2375 to around 2035 in two months. (A reduction close to 15%) I think that there needs to be an acceleration in the rate that 4 letter domains are being purchased for them to go this year or some big bulk purchasers to change things. This is very possible but there is only a 5 month time frame given here.

Does anyone know if all the 4 letter domains being dropped are being bought? Is it more likely that the 4 domains will run out before everyone is competing for the dropped domains?

Of the 4 letter domains that I have bought, over half have been previously owned and dropped. Nobody bought them when they dropped. I know this because I took my time deciding to purchase them.

Last edited:
•••
I think only words like save and help will be of any real value unless you have a company with the letters jolx :tu:

•••
4L coms aren't categorically being picked up when they drop, but many are. There are also fewer and fewer dropping, where as registrations have picked up. Actually looking at how many have been registered the last few months one could extrapolate that they might be all gone by the end of the year.

But I still don't think this will happen. I notice a lot of the more semi-good names are disappearing, but most crap ones remain untouched. The only real hope lies in the hands of speculators who are willing to register a crap name just so that they own at least one 4L. When you think about it, if everyone on this forum registered 1-2 4L coms it would put a serious dent in the number available.

•••
Think of buying a 4 letter as a long term investment. That's what others were doing when they bought a 3 letter domain. even if it made no sence at the time. Now that investment in a 3 letter domain is paying off!

•••
4 Letter or 3 Character? To me, that's the investment question... :tri:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back