Dynadot

question Confused newbie

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BML

Top Member
Impact
As I started this adventure a month ago I was sure that value/importance of tlds is in next order: 1. com, 2. net, 3. org, 4. info, 5. biz etc. But after few days on this forum it seems that .org is getting mush more love/value than .net. Maybe I'm wrong but if I'm not could someone shed some light on that fenomen. Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, org sells more than net somehow.

•••
As a new domainer, you should only concentrate your efforts on .COM at the moment.
I strongly suggest you don't spend a penny on other tlds.

•••
.org has a strong identity of its own, there are many end users (especially the non-profit type) that are on .org and would never want to be on .com.
On the other hand, .net has always been considered the fallback TLD when the .com was taken (although it was more fashionable in the early days I think).
But there are famous sites on .net and some (eg tech-related) keywords make perfect sense in .net.
The key is to buy domains with discernment.

In short, yes there is more demand for .com than other TLDs.
And the scale you're quoting is quite relative. In my book .biz is nearly worthless and there is not much value in .info either. They're nearly off the chart for me.

•••
Because it is getting hard nowadays to get a com., I suggest you try also the .co

•••
geeks prefer with ORG! if I want to build a forum or community, maybe I will choose ORG!
but personally I love .biz, because its related with biz stuff! e.g forex, stocks, loans, and etc! but for ecommerce, or online store, or for company! com, should be your priority! so I am not surprised if some people will spend more money with com! because If I have company and promote on national TV, for sure,
I don't choose dot net, ORG, or even Biz! because I don't want some people get benefit from my tv ads!

Imagine if I buy dot net! mycompany dot net, and promote using TV ads, millions ppl watch! and they type dot com extension! for sure, I will pist of! unless, for domain name hack! it could be different! for example, Pay US! or pay.us! or maybe author.co! or maybe jobs in us or Jobs.us! or maybe remember us (remember.us) I have no worry about it! though, just to safe, I will buy all extension!

personally I don't like COm that much! though, the number tell different! so, I will admit, com are the king! ORG for Geeks, Biz, or biz stuff, Info for information, etc and etc!

•••
As a new domainer, you should only concentrate your efforts on .COM at the moment.
I strongly suggest you don't spend a penny on other tlds.
Absolutely right mentioned here. Don't waste your money on any tlds except .com, even .com is hard nowadays to sell, so any other tld will be in times more harder.

•••
Hi

depending on what year or month that you entered the domain game, any extension, keyword or "craze-phase" could be getting "more love" on Np, simply because many here are trend followers and bandwagon jumpers.

(disclaimer: no offense to anyone who fits that shoe, it's just an observation)

like the chip craze,
it didn't matter to some what extensions they could register or acquire.
all they wanted , was what they though was a "chip",

you saw chips in .info. chips in .cc, chips in .ws, chip .org's, chips in .biz etc, etc

some went for "patterns", or all numbers, or all letters and some even went for combinations of NNLL, anything and everything was coveted, but what really had value and what sold in the end?

right now, .org gained love from the sale of a bitcoin name in that extenion

after that sale, they hype was on.
sure a few others in that category will sell, but running out and registering random .org names is not a smart move.
particularly when renewal fee for .org, is now higher than .com

imo...

•••
Welcome @BML

See, more than Extension, Word is the King.

.Org stands for Organisations, which means it is more sellable to Organisations.

But I would suggest you to completely forgot about other extensions and just focus on .com

This is your learning time bro.

I hope you learn a lot here

If you have any Questions you can PM me.

Thanks and Regards

PULKIT

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back