IT.COM

.COM will lose ground to xxxx.travel xxxx.news xxxx.ibm xxxx.mcdonalds?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will .COM lose ground to xxxx.news xxxx.namepros xxxx.ibm top level domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes I believe .COM will devalue and lose ground.

votes
    11.1%
  • No I believe .COM will increase in value.

votes
    49.3%
  • I believe there will be no change to .COM

votes
    40.3%
  • I am unsure.

votes
    4.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Hi All NP'ers,

Having researched a little on the progression and development of ICANN's new proposal for TOP LEVEL DOMAINS- xxxx.weather xxxx.ibm xxxx.jobs xxxx.australia are we now going to see a new leader in the race for technology success!

Im currently in two minds and would love to hear everyones thoughts!

Thanks Mat

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi All NP'ers,

Having researched a little on the progression and development of ICANN's new proposal for TOP LEVEL DOMAINS- xxxx.weather xxxx.ibm xxxx.jobs xxxx.australia are we now going to see a new leader in the race for technology success!

Im currently in two minds and would love to hear everyones thoughts!

Thanks Mat

Ya right buddy. Did you know .jobs and .travel have already been released for many years now ?!(your examples) Who the hell currently uses .jobs for their job search or job listings? Hey wait a minute when was the last time you booked a flight on a .travel site?? YOU HAVEN'T - That's because they never took off and their industries did not embrace them. What makes you think that .australia is going to overtake the Australia ccTLD .au or .com.au or that .canada will ever be more popular that .ca? Many ccTLDs are deeply rooted in their country. As far as .com losing ground, nah.

Personally, I think the release of unlimited gTLDs is a ridiculous idea and will only confuse internet users while being a total money grab for registrars and it's overseers (ICANN). I will predict that*maybe a handful of gTLDs will really succeed. Most will be failures and a total waste of cash. I blogged on this topic here if you want to read a bit more about it. Kieran McCarthy, an ICANN blogger responded to give it some interesting dialogue: NameTalent.com ยป Blog Archive ยป ICANN and the New gTLDโ€™s

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Nicedomains, this will not take off.

•••
For the most part, pure domaining (void of development) is dead.

My 13 years in domaining has led me to one conclusion: "don't waste your time with any extension other than Thy Golden Threeโ„ข (.com, .net, or .org.). Extensions like .TV, .PRO, .TEL, .MOBI, .THIS, .THAT, .ETC, .ETC have all been created/manipulated to generate renewal fees from domainers and dreamers.

The only area left in domaining is super high quality .coms, .nets, and .orgs (with the greatest emphasis on .com!).

•••
First of all .travel has been around for awhile as was mentioned above. As you can see it has really taken off. This will be a huge bust as it is not being released by popular demand, it is just a cash grab.

I normally try to deal with end users directly to make sales. The first aspect is to buy respectable extensions. That means C/N/O and ccTLD.

Sometimes lesser extensions like INFO/BIZ are acceptable if the term is very strong, and there are potential buyers. Overall though with limited demand this won't matter much.

All the other .fails did not effect the value of the respected extensions.

Brad

For the most part, pure domaining (void of development) is dead.

My 13 years in domaining has led me to one conclusion: "don't waste your time with any extension other than Thy Golden Threeโ„ข (.com, .net, or .org.). Extensions like .TV, .PRO, .TEL, .MOBI, .THIS, .THAT, .ETC, .ETC have all been created/manipulate to generate renewal fees from domainers and dreamers.

The only area left in domaining is super high quality .coms, .nets, and .orgs (with the greatest emphasis on .com!).

Last edited:
•••
dot com will remain the king come what may !

•••
This won't make .com weaker, it'll only make it stronger..

•••
I suggest people who think these will make a huge splash to go out and reg every .LA, .TRAVEL, .PRO, .TV, and .JOBS you can get your hands on. These extensions are available TODAY. No waiting line.

•••
lol, .mcdonalds and .fail are the best ones i've seen for a gTLD. There are already WAY to many extensions to begin with and I totally agree that all these are designed for is to fill the pockets of the registrars. Do I think .com will lose ground.....um no. Nor do I see any of the new extensions trumping the other major remaining extensions such as net and org. Could the concept be conceivable possibly but it's probability of exceeding would be astronomical.

Just my two cents though.

•••
I totally agree. If another fast car is released does that make a Ferrari less valuable? No.

It is the exact same thing. There is only 1 .COM, it has been around for 20+ years, and it is the undisputed King and will stay that way for quite awhile.

Brad

This won't make .com weaker, it'll only make it stronger..

•••
This discussion is pointless imo.

•••
Just playing a little devil's advocate here, though I don't personally hold this point of view: indeed, the alternate TLDs might confuse the hell out of consumers at first, but such can be said of any major technological change (like the introduction of Firefox or Bing, which provided more options). I think people will adjust over time -- the parts of our brains that memorize website extensions will simply expand to accommodate remembering keyword + arbitrary TLD.

Not that I believe arbitrary TLDs to be anything more than a cash-grabbing ICANN scheme. I can see trademark disputes escalating into absolute maymem.

I can see "some" market share sliced away from .COM with strong marketing efforts, but I doubt they'll shave any more market appeal off .COM than Bing did off Google. Arbitrary gTLDs will adversely impact .NETs/.ORGs more than .COMs.

•••
I was thinking that extensions that would suffer the most are existing gTLDs that have been heavily traded but never became truly sought afer like .info, .biz, .mobi.
... Arbitrary gTLDs will adversely impact .NETs/.ORGs more than .COMs.

•••
•••
•••
Dot Com will remain the strongest globally, though in a lot of countries the cctld beats the com

About new gtld's, they will never beat the com, and about those ideas of .france, .australia etc... i believe most countries will forbid their existence.

•••
I believe ICANN already stated they will not accept any confusingly similar extensions for example

Typos like .CON
Country codes where an extension already exists like .USA

Brad

Dot Com will remain the strongest globally, though in a lot of countries the cctld beats the com

About new gtld's, they will never beat the com, and about those ideas of .france, .australia etc... i believe most countries will forbid their existence.

•••
The only reason ICANN relases more TLD'S is because of us.

Its not for the consumer/end user.They know domaining is big business and know that way back when,a new TLD=Huge cash.
Now they throw them out,seems like monthly,with a huge hype engine n good ole Rick,who is lining his pockets too with it all.

The only way to stop it is to stop being "suckered in" and buying a new extension.

If the consumer has multiple choice TLD'S they will 90% of the time view .com as the most reliable/trustworthy.Thats not to say they are,its just the way it is.
If you go to the supermarket and want some soup,you have 10 choices of make.How many buy the half price make?I don't i'll buy the one I know and trust.Same with domaining.

ICANN only releases new TLD'S BECAUSE OF US So the simple remedy? Stop buying them,stick with .com

•••
If they're going to be worthwhile, they better be recognized globally. If I speak Spanish, I'm not going to benefit much from coloringbooks.kids.

.COM isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's still going to be the universally recognized TLD. More TLDs means more confusion for potential visitors, who will probably default back to .com (or simply a Google search...).

•••
I believe ICANN already stated they will not accept any confusingly similar extensions for example

Typos like .CON
Country codes where an extension already exists like .USA

Brad

They should keep that one for themselves, ICANN.CON has a certain ring to it :rolleyes:

The whole thing is just a money grabbing idea that is not really needed & not wanted for the most part, There are going to be soooooo many legal problems and disputes, no wonder they intend to charge an absolute fortune per hour legal fees !

Not for profit corp....hardly !

in a word .... NUTS :tri: IMHO

Just found the post about various costs for disputes - http://www.thedomains.com/2009/02/2...-gtld-it-could-cost-you-a-lot-more-than-185k/

"However, ICANN further estimates that โ€œโ€an hourly rate based proceeding with a one-member panel could range from $32,000 to $56,000 (or more) and with a three-member panel it could range from USD 70,000 to USD 122,000 (or more)โ€œโ€.

......sounds like they are looking forward to having lots of disputes, $32,000 to 122,000 + PER HOUR !!! pffffff

Last edited:
•••
No direct effect on .com unless major corporations start using them in ad campaigns and it actually works. Then I believe the public would become conditioned to use extensions that are less familiar than what they normally use. .info would probably see the biggest surge.

•••
Vanity Plates .... some people like them ... some don't.

once enough money is spent trying to brand new extensions "the meeting"
will be called and the budgets will be reviewed. The motion will be made
that Com is king. A second on the motion and that will be that. Next! :|

NN

•••
I totally agree. If another fast car is released does that make a Ferrari less valuable? No.

It is the exact same thing. There is only 1 .COM, it has been around for 20+ years, and it is the undisputed King and will stay that way for quite awhile.

Brad

good post! :bingo:

•••
i would like to see macdonalds.junkfood

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the pageโ€™s height.
Back