Dynadot

discuss .com [vs] .cm The Forgotten Extension?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dnepomuk

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Many domainers underestimate the power of .cm domains... They limit them to typos domains and, (although some have made a fortune with typos), this is not the only use .cm domains have.

What is the next thing people remember with ease, after a .com?

I think they are 10 times more likely to remember “.cm” than say, .xyz or .onl, .latam etc. I mean, youngsters may remember more those new extensions but us, adults, the people with purchasing power (in general), are more likely to remember a .cm extension. The fact that it belongs to a country doesn’t even have to be mentioned. Also, there are a huge amount of .coms that are parked...

Take for instance nude.cm
The .com version has been on sale for ages for $1M. So, nude.cm is the next practical option that can be used, develop and even flipped as is (type the url and see). Even at $100K is better priced when compared with the useless nude.com at $1M.

Estibot values Singles.com at $500K and, ironically, Sedo has Singles.cm for only $2K... Both names are excellent but I think that .cm has a lot more return (ROI).

I personally value .cm domains beyond just typos. In my opinion, I think most people don’t know the huge value they are missing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks/Regards,

DNepomuk

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You own nude.cm and it makes your post look like an advertisement camouflaged as a discussion.

•••
•••
You own nude.cm and it makes your post look like an advertisement camouflaged as a discussion.

He learned it from "bulloney"

•••
I have owned many domains. Anyone with a stable income can collect domains as a hobby and later flip them for a profit. There’s no science behind that.

But can you guys actually consider the core of the discussion?

I once owned and sold Nude.cm and Nude.Black. Their promo pages are very similar. I once owned and sold the domain hack NU.DE.Com. I hand-registered Naixa.com, Dicuma.com, Baryx.com and the list go on. No need to advertise in a discussion @wwwulff

But thanks anyways.

Regards,

DNepomuk

•••
It is very weak TLD even as typo.

•••
The fact that it belongs to a country doesn’t even have to be mentioned.
ALL 2L TLDs belong to countries according to their ISO codes.

•••
For instance, If I buy Cannabis.cm and set up my ‘shop’ here in the US. If I prepare brochures and business cards, I can use ‘my’ domain (In this example, Cannabis.cm) without having to explain to customers that my domain name extension was actually created for a country.

I can just go like “Yes, Mr. and Mrs. cannabis smokers, just type my domain Cannabis.cm. It is like a .com but without the ‘o’.

I know it sounds weird but if I cannot afford such an expensive .com then I can just develop a great name on the .cm with the same results (or even better if the .com is still unused and parked since the 1990’s).

@stub What do you think on all this?

Thanks all for your take on this.

DNepomuk

•••
This is great info. I'll remember this the next time I'm in Cameroon.

•••
:D @wurdd So you have never registered a .WS, .PW or .CC?

•••
Of course. Never had much luck selling or developing them though. You really need a strong keyword to get any typo action on .cm and a developed site to boot.

•••
For instance, If I buy Cannabis.cm and set up my ‘shop’ here in the US. If I prepare brochures and business cards, I can use ‘my’ domain (In this example, Cannabis.cm) without having to explain to customers that my domain name extension was actually created for a country.

I can just go like “Yes, Mr. and Mrs. cannabis smokers, just type my domain Cannabis.cm. It is like a .com but without the ‘o’.

I know it sounds weird but if I cannot afford such an expensive .com then I can just develop a great name on the .cm with the same results (or even better if the .com is still unused and parked since the 1990’s).

@stub What do you think on all this?

Thanks all for your take on this.

DNepomuk

In theory. It's a nice idea. But the point is you still have your business on a crap domain. And it doesn't matter how hard you try to convince them in person, most of them are going to type in the "o". In addition, you will not get any natural traffic going to your domain, apart from typos. I think it's a prima facie terrible idea. Particularly if you are investing time and money into your business. It might just work. But the chances are slim. IMHO. You'd be better off finding a "cannabis" domain, including any of the synonyms for cannabis, which probably won't be possible (all taken) without adding an additional word, which may also be associated with cannabis. I'm think of something like cannabishigh.com (which I'm sure will be taken). At least your domain will be remembered correctly, and it will be a .com. IMHO.

Of course if you live and have your business in Cameroon. It's a great idea :)

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think it is a workable strategy for business owner, if u do have a nice website, .any is fine....just need pay more efforts than others...but as domainer, I would not touch this...may be keyword like nude is exception.

btw, why u start this thread in beginer section?it quite confuse ....

•••
Thanks for your answer friend.

I did not dare to start it somewhere else as sometimes it is a “given” not to deal with .cm domains.

btw, I bought Singles.cm and I will start developing it as there must also be singles in Cameroon :D

You could see a rough draft under;

www.singles.cm/homepage

Thank you,

DNepomuk

•••
tks for the explanationB-)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back