Dynadot

poll .com price crash? - Cost Of Malinvestment?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is buying a .com a bad idea?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    9.7%
  • Maybe

votes
    11.2%
  • Probably

votes
    1.5%
  • Of course

votes
    1.5%
  • No

votes
    76.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Source: namebio (Huge props to namebio for revealing the reality of .com)

The domain equityinvestor.com sold for $1,050 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 64%.
It last sold for $2,888 on April 11th, 2007 at BuyDomains.

The domain dragonpoker.com sold for $595 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 94%.
It last sold for $10,000 on June 12th, 2012 at Sedo.

The domain flexiheat.com sold for $175 at NameJet for a decrease of 97%.
It last sold for $5,000 on March 12th, 2011 at Sedo.

The domain cheapwood.com sold for $100 at NameJet for a decrease of 94%.
It last sold for $1,801 on April 23rd, 2006 at SnapNames.

The domain californiachampagne.com sold for $1,054 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 75%.
It last sold for $4,288 on November 11th, 2012 at Afternic.

The domain diamondjeweller.com sold for $510 at Sedo for a decrease of 87%.
It last sold for $4,000 on December 3rd, 2014 at Sedo.

The domain highwaylogistics.com sold for $151 at NameJet for a decrease of 95%.
It last sold for $2,988 on June 12th, 2015 at BuyDomains.

The domain insurancesupermarket.com sold for $221 at NameJet for a decrease of 99%.
It last sold for $15,000 on April 11th, 2007 at Sedo.

The domain iwage.com sold for $511 at NameJet for a decrease of 66%.
It last sold for $1,500 on March 10th, 2015 at NameJet.

The domain stemcellregeneration.com sold for $610 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 84%.
It last sold for $3,788 on May 21st, 2014 at GoDaddy.

The domain startup360.com sold for $1,266 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 58%.
It last sold for $3,000 on January 25th, 2011 at Sedo.

The domain megavault.com sold for $709 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 79%.
It last sold for $3,350 on December 2nd, 2012 at Afternic.

The domain giantvideo.com sold for $155 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 95%.
It last sold for $3,288 on February 5th, 2008 at Afternic.

The domain premiermedical.com sold for $3,250 at NameJet for a decrease of 21%.
It last sold for $4,100 on August 6th, 2013 at NameJet.

The domain facets.com sold for $8,088 at NameJet for a decrease of 31%.
It last sold for $11,721 on January 25th, 2012 at Sedo.

The domain pmpw.com sold for $1,324 at NameJet for a decrease of 30%.
It last sold for $1,900 on May 5th, 2016 at NameJet.

The domain hypertravel.com sold for $309 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 85%.
It last sold for $2,088 on December 4th, 2006 at BuyDomains.

The domain starterhomes.com sold for $4,138 at DropCatch for a decrease of 17%.
It last sold for $4,999 on May 13th, 2016 at Uniregistry.

The domain wirelesslife.com sold for $301 at NameJet for a decrease of 92%.
It last sold for $3,888 on February 19th, 2008 at Afternic.

The domain resourcepage.com sold for $105 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 97%.
It last sold for $3,350 on October 13th, 2013 at Afternic.

The domain freesubscription.com sold for $109 at Sedo for a decrease of 97%.
It last sold for $3,600 on May 19th, 2009 at NameJet.

The domain spiritualsupport.com sold for $265 at NameJet for a decrease of 92%.
It last sold for $3,175 on November 1st, 2016 at BuyDomains.

etc

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Manchild is on ignore. Now, where were we?

•••
@dordomai

The companies will definitely generate better gTLDs than you... provided they don't hire you.

•••
You seem upset

Go read the wiki again and maybe you'll understand the phrase

Stop posting like an imbecilic manchild

I am afraid you have reading difficulties..

"The seemingly contradictory phrase is used to simultaneously announce the death of the previous monarch and assure the public of continuity by saluting the new monarch.."..

Its all about continuity... Anyways, you are clearly a troll and can not take opposition. Stay stupid, leaves more for the rest of us.

•••
@dordomai

The companies will definitely generate better gTLDs than you... provided they don't hire you.

well if they don't hire you they won't change their names.

•••
Swimming Against Wave is Like a Deliberate Act of Having A headlong Collision against a Fast Moving Train

The whole world does not think the way many Domain investors are thinking, especially, on what will happen tomorrow to .com domains. This issue is given some domain investors some levels of restlessness. Though, there should be a kind of sensitive thinking on what you want to invest your money upon, but thinking awkwardly could cause a serious negative impact on investment.
Continue Reading

•••
Single Words which have no use as a business name will fluctuate with the market but if you have a business name then there are times the .com can be very valuable.

I keep saying that paying crazy money for shoes.com cannot possibly pay off in the end. Who goes on the internet and punches in shoes.com or just shoes when they search.

I will punch Rockport Shoes into search and quickly find exactly the shoes I am looking for. So the guy that registered RockportShoes.com made a sale to me or maybe even the guy that used CheapRockportShoes.com.

Eventually whoever buys shoes.com figures out they don't need the domain and will resell it at a loss. A descriptive domain name or a business name domain makes so much more sense to me.

If my business name is Hilltop Roofers then I want HilltopRoofers.com and I will pay for it. Roofers.com is a generic search term and if I am based in California I don't necessarily want some guy from Virginia calling me about his roof because he saw me on google.

So many variables with domain names that trying to fit sales into a narrow margin or category is doomed to be inaccurate.

I disagree on this one... Shoes.com is very valuable and can justify the premium price if your scope is large enough... It is not type in traffic, as most of those don't have much, it is instant reputation and memorability, as well as creating barrier to entrance... It is hard to compete with coupons.com/coupon.com as they have the whole thing cornered and they have perfect name... So, if shoes.com can add 10% to their net income and they'd be making 50 MM without it and are making 55 MM because of it, that is $5M return annually on your $9M investment...

•••
Voted NO, Noticed one of my Domain EstiValue went up within two weeks from $8900 to $14,000 which is due to recent Similar Domains Sales i guess.

Last edited:
•••
Eventually whoever buys shoes.com figures out they don't need the domain and will resell it at a loss.

That's already been figured out

•••
via dn journal

With respect to transaction volume and prices GGRG reported, "the total number of transactions across categories actually decreased by 23.5%, from 5,455 to 4,173. The floor prices stayed stable, but we did evidence a further single digit decrease in the value of 4L and 5N .com domains, namely the most traded categories, losing on average 8% each."

Looking ahead, the GGRG forecast said, "The trend inversion in the development index might suggests that the price of liquid domain might be starting to become attractive again for end users. It is interesting to note that we are not seeing large losses on the floor prices. As predicted in our prior reports, however, we are seeing a decrease in values for the more expensive "Chinese Premium" domains. Especially the 3L .com domains which lost almost 50% from their peak and are now trading at values closer to the "Western Premium" 3L domains."

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2017/dailyposts/20170509.htm

mic-drop-2boom.jpg

•••
•••
•••
HomeFinance.com sold for 5500 at auction in January

How the hell is that not indicative of a crash

•••
My take on all this is that things change and those changes get reflected in perceived values. We need to be careful on how we view these changes though. In this example, Google played a significant role.

HomeFinance.com is not a great descriptive .com - (like mortgages or equityloans, etc), it's ok. It's not a brand killer, it's average.

The drop in its value is more likely related to the change in Google's search algorithm for keywords in the domain name than it is to any inherent problem with .coms in general.

.com's still rule the owned/acquired domain market by orders of magnitude over other extensions.

.com's still rule the search results

For example, a quick Google search of "home finance" lists ten results - 9 were .coms and 1 was a .org. Only two listings had "home finance" in the domain name (#6 and #10, but all have "home finance" or a synonym in the title). The key is 90% of the first page results were .coms.

Keywords in domain name have minimal search ranking effect these days. That is why HomeFinance.com lost value. The premium for keywords in domain names for search is gone. It still remains for branding.

Until search algorithms change (which they will over time), .coms will still retain inherent value vs other domain extensions because they dominate the first 10 listings in search engine rankings, not because they are keyword loaded.

•••
"Keywords in domain name have minimal search ranking effect these days. That is why HomeFinance.com lost value. The premium for keywords in domain names for search is gone. "

wrong. still significant effect ceteris paribus

.com don't rank because of extension. Other reasons.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with this.. but 5k too low. check resale price.

"HomeFinance.com is not a great descriptive .com - (like mortgages or equityloans, etc), it's ok. It's not a brand killer, it's average."

•••
i'm seeing .keywords ranking for more searches

.com's still rule the owned/acquired domain market by orders of magnitude over other extensions.

.com's still rule the search results

keyywords in domain name have minimal search ranking effect these days. That is why HomeFinance.com lost value. The premium for keywords in domain names for search is gone. It still remains for branding.

Until search algorithms change (which they will over time), .coms will still retain inherent value vs other domain extensions because they dominate the first 10 listings in search engine rankings, not because they are keyword loaded.

•••
•••
I disagree on this one... Shoes.com is very valuable and can justify the premium price if your scope is large enough... It is not type in traffic, as most of those don't have much, it is instant reputation and memorability, as well as creating barrier to entrance... It is hard to compete with coupons.com/coupon.com as they have the whole thing cornered and they have perfect name... So, if shoes.com can add 10% to their net income and they'd be making 50 MM without it and are making 55 MM because of it, that is $5M return annually on your $9M investment...

Not to mention Walmart on average makes $36M an hour ... Lmao, yea they can afford it

As for the main discussion, the one that is so ... Controversial ...

I'll say this,

Invest in one
Invest in both
Invest in none

And if you choose the first two options then invest in "good" names ... Rich keywords, longterm industries, growing investments, but don't consider GTLDs or even TLDs for that matter, a lottery ticket, you've bought digital land and now you have to care for it, water it (renewals) and give it sunlight (attention) and when the time comes and you can afford to buy marketing and or land is selling around you, then you can reap the profits (rewards) and there is also the idea of building commercial realestate on the land (development) in the long run its your choice, just don't share the secret of growing golden apples with just anyone

Last edited:
•••
There is no .com price crash at all.
Any buyer can find and get a crazy good deal on any given day with effort.
All markets work like this. The hottest real estate markets in the world still have "deals" and just think
how many times you saw a domain sell and thought "ya I would have paid more than that"
eCom is exploding with growth, .com is the backbone of most of that, no chance it is crashing unless a viable alternative to domains arrives. And look how far we've come with domains and most people still don't know .00001% of what a NP user knows about them. Good domains are the worlds most undervalued asset.

•••
Dumb thread, where you cherry pick sales. I can pick sales where it goes up. Also, probably troll account. Just started posting yesterday after signing up 10 years ago. You skipped this from the other thread, you can address it here.

You said:

"Schilling knows what's up"

".com is dead,"

I pointed out that Schilling buys .com all day long on the aftermarket. You said Schilling knows what's up. So you're saying we should be buying .com just like him.

I kind of agree with you this is like posting all the new 52 week lows in the stock market without posting the highs ,all this guys post means that there has been a cleansing of domainers ,everyones broke and are not paying up for drops ,if I was at these auctions I would be surely at least paying double for some of them ,please stop the Monday morning
qb-ing and post these auctions in realtime ,that would impress us more.

•••
Source: namebio (Huge props to namebio for revealing the reality of .com)

Add one more...

Chipstore.com sold for $ 636 at Godaddy for decrease of 75%,
it last sold for $2588 in 2013, 08 December 2013 (afternic)

by the way, I am the new owner of both reduced .com, Chipstore.com and DiamondJeweller.com

Thanks for the analytics,

regards,

The domain equityinvestor.com sold for $1,050 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 64%.
It last sold for $2,888 on April 11th, 2007 at BuyDomains.

The domain dragonpoker.com sold for $595 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 94%.
It last sold for $10,000 on June 12th, 2012 at Sedo.

The domain flexiheat.com sold for $175 at NameJet for a decrease of 97%.
It last sold for $5,000 on March 12th, 2011 at Sedo.

The domain cheapwood.com sold for $100 at NameJet for a decrease of 94%.
It last sold for $1,801 on April 23rd, 2006 at SnapNames.

The domain californiachampagne.com sold for $1,054 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 75%.
It last sold for $4,288 on November 11th, 2012 at Afternic.

The domain diamondjeweller.com sold for $510 at Sedo for a decrease of 87%.
It last sold for $4,000 on December 3rd, 2014 at Sedo.

The domain highwaylogistics.com sold for $151 at NameJet for a decrease of 95%.
It last sold for $2,988 on June 12th, 2015 at BuyDomains.

The domain insurancesupermarket.com sold for $221 at NameJet for a decrease of 99%.
It last sold for $15,000 on April 11th, 2007 at Sedo.

The domain iwage.com sold for $511 at NameJet for a decrease of 66%.
It last sold for $1,500 on March 10th, 2015 at NameJet.

The domain stemcellregeneration.com sold for $610 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 84%.
It last sold for $3,788 on May 21st, 2014 at GoDaddy.

The domain startup360.com sold for $1,266 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 58%.
It last sold for $3,000 on January 25th, 2011 at Sedo.

The domain megavault.com sold for $709 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 79%.
It last sold for $3,350 on December 2nd, 2012 at Afternic.

The domain giantvideo.com sold for $155 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 95%.
It last sold for $3,288 on February 5th, 2008 at Afternic.

The domain premiermedical.com sold for $3,250 at NameJet for a decrease of 21%.
It last sold for $4,100 on August 6th, 2013 at NameJet.

The domain facets.com sold for $8,088 at NameJet for a decrease of 31%.
It last sold for $11,721 on January 25th, 2012 at Sedo.

The domain pmpw.com sold for $1,324 at NameJet for a decrease of 30%.
It last sold for $1,900 on May 5th, 2016 at NameJet.

The domain hypertravel.com sold for $309 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 85%.
It last sold for $2,088 on December 4th, 2006 at BuyDomains.

The domain starterhomes.com sold for $4,138 at DropCatch for a decrease of 17%.
It last sold for $4,999 on May 13th, 2016 at Uniregistry.

The domain wirelesslife.com sold for $301 at NameJet for a decrease of 92%.
It last sold for $3,888 on February 19th, 2008 at Afternic.

The domain resourcepage.com sold for $105 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 97%.
It last sold for $3,350 on October 13th, 2013 at Afternic.

The domain freesubscription.com sold for $109 at Sedo for a decrease of 97%.
It last sold for $3,600 on May 19th, 2009 at NameJet.

The domain spiritualsupport.com sold for $265 at NameJet for a decrease of 92%.
It last sold for $3,175 on November 1st, 2016 at BuyDomains.

etc

•••
Last edited:
•••
i'm seeing .keywords ranking for more searches

I understand the concept, brandability and desirability of domain names like Online.shop, or Currency.trade. However. The most registered new gTLD domains are with the following extensions: xyz, top, loan, win, club, vip, online, wang, site, bid. This is the top 10. How on earth would xyz be better than .com? Other than abc.xyz brandability wise it's a disaster. Same goes for top, win, club and the rest. They are not better than .com, they are just new, and that's not really an advantage.

•••
At the present, IMO .Com is stil the King.

•••
I myself have bought domains for $xxxx and sold them for $xxx and did so with a smile on my face because is was very profitable.

This makes no sense to me. You can't buy something for $xxxx and sell it for $xxx and say that you made a profit. The word profit has a set definition. (Profit: a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something.) You might have gotten something else that you wanted and were happy about getting it, but in order for it to have been profitable financially, you had to earn more money than you spent.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back