NameSilo

advice Cold emailing domain owners to sell them similar domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kprojects

Established Member
Impact
Do you guys follow/search sites like namebio to find owners of domains that are similar to ones that you're selling so that you can contact owners of recently purchased domains to see if you can sell them some of yours in the same niche?

I know I can't stand those emails, but have been thinking about it more and more lately to unload some of mine...

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I receive TONS of emails like this from domainers all the time. And 99.9% of the time, the ones they are selling to me that are "similar to mine", are actually much worse.

That's one of the problems. What value does a buyer have to downgrade to a domain name that is worse?

That's why you need to make sure you have a "better" version of the domain name. (shorter, better extension etc).

-Omar

•••
Hi Kprojects,

Interesting post, thanks for making your presence known. I have some domains I want to sell, are you interested? Or were you just asking something unrelated to wanting me to sell to you and so you don't want me to sell to you? Would that be a thread "Domains Wanted...".

It also seems you would be going against your own morals, as you hate such emails yourself.

Also, joining in makes the problem worse, in the same way as littering:
"As there's already litter everywhere, I might as well drop mine"
Yes, there is already litter, but by definition you are making the problem worse ;)

Hope this helps
(and I will Pm you my portfolio of crap domains, lmk if you want any, I'll pm you every day, just in case :xf.grin:)

The last few domains I bought I received about 40 emails asking if I wanted a website, SEO, search engine submission, another similar (crappy) domain, and some funky official sounding demands for registration requirements (sigh).
So no, please don't do it, it might be a winner in terms of sales, but personally I prefer to win and feel good when I spend the money. As a developer I could rip people off on the internet quite easily and be fairly well off from it, but I have never ripped anyone off in my life, and this allows me to spend my well earned money guilt free :)
Spam might not be as bad as scam, but it's still bad.

•••
I stopped posting in the reported sales thread for this very reason. I don't want anyone who I sell a domain to getting spammed by fifty other domainers looking to sell similar names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back