Dynadot

Coffee.club reportedly sells for $100,000 at T.R.A.F.F.I.C.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Actually I don't think an end user would understand that that's an url looking just at the coffee. (And no I'm no new gTLD racist.)

My reply is below..

Last edited:
•••
Any why it clearly says COFFEE.CLUB

For you and me yeah because we know of it. Grab someone of the street and they won't understand it's an url until you tell them. I'm pretty sure.

•••
Actually I don't think an end user would understand that that's an url looking just at the coffee. (And no I'm no new gTLD racist.)

Who called you a racist? It clearly says coffee.club on the bag therfore it's very clear.

Now if you think people can look inside the bag and determine the URL you're correct. Geesh!

•••
•••
For you and me yeah because we know of it. Grab someone of the street and they won't understand it's an url until you tell them. I'm pretty sure.

Please, the press is out, it's on TV, on the net, millions invested it's happening and people know.

•••
Who called you a racist? It clearly says coffee.club on the bag therfore it's very clear.

Now if you think people can look inside the bag and determine the URL you're correct. Geesh!

The coffee bag, relax :) Just sharing my opinion on the design (in Europe no one knows of the new gTLDs yet) Didn't know of the marketing in America thanks for sharing, happy to hear that.

•••
•••
Why is this worth $100K? .club? People will type coffeeclub.com If this party wanted a hack coff.ee (not available) would have been much better.

•••
The pic is very impressive, just goes to show what one can do with these new gTLDs. I personally think his new brand coffee.club on the the bags look great and much better than if if it displayed com, net etc...

Oh - Congrats on the free coffee! :)

Thanks! As far as I can recall, this is the only "contest" or "sweepstakes" I've ever won, and I love coffee, so I'm pretty psyched.

Looks great. Wonder though how long time it will take until an end user understand that's an url.

Hmm...this is an interesting discussion. Looking at the bags again, I think I'd have to agree & say that the URL isn't really that clearly displayed / marketed on the bag itself. Those receiving them, of course, will know it's a URL, because they ordered it there. But friends, family, visitors to the home who just happen to see the bag -- I honestly don't think it's clear enough.

IMHO, the "www." part is essential for the new gTLDs to succeed in getting visitors to their site from print / product marketing. It doesn't always look that great, but I think it needs to be on the bag somewhere (there should always be a way to get it on there without sacrificing too much elegance), just as a security measure if you will. Curious what @wcmcclure thinks. :xf.smile:

That said, I think the bags look great. Love the style. And of course, what really counts is inside. And it delivers on quality, I'm sipping some at the moment. :xf.wink:

And the bags came shipped with some loose beans in the box, which I thought was a really great touch. You could smell it through the box -- it's the little things like that that companies can do to impress / show a little extra love to customers.

•••
Looks like its already on the first page of Google, with 77 million results. No need for AdWords!

•••
•••
coffee club (33,000 searches per month)

•••
I'm in domains a long time. It does not look like a URL - coffee.club. That said, who cares. Selling bags of coffee is the real business.

•••
coffee club (33,000 searches per month)
hm I checked first 5 pages and was not able to find the domain. May be because of my geo location though

•••
hm I checked first 5 pages and was not able to find the domain. May be because of my geo location though
same.

•••
I'm in the US. It could be the location, or it could be one of several experiments that Google runs per day. I see the URL in the fifth position, even after clearing my cookies.

•••
Why is this worth $100K? .club? People will type coffeeclub.com If this party wanted a hack coff.ee (not available) would have been much better.
100% agree with this.

Can't believe they invested 100K in this name... Everyone is going to type in coffeeclub.com... Even people who used computers every day add .com at the end of everything...

I just can't believe they wouldn't get the .com as well.

•••
Coffee.club is on the first page of Google for "coffee club" for me in the US (personalized, logged-in search).

It's worth 100k because he's paying $10k over the next 10 years? Honestly not trying to be a smart ass, also see my comments below.

I'm in domains a long time. It does not look like a URL - coffee.club. That said, who cares. Selling bags of coffee is the real business.

That's an interesting thought. I would care if I owned Coffee.club that the bags of coffee I'm sending out don't expressly market the domain name in a clear fashion.

100% agree with this.

Can't believe they invested 100K in this name... Everyone is going to type in coffeeclub.com... Even people who used computers every day add .com at the end of everything...

I just can't believe they wouldn't get the .com as well.

Why can't you believe it though? I don't understand some of the reactions here about how much the guy paid for the domain. It's a phenomenal brand if you're in the coffee space. The guy will end up making millions off of this move. So he'll pay a little bit to educate consumers on .club, and he will leak some traffic. Done right, it's not a problem IMHO.

And for me, domainers should be happy about this deal (well, save the anti-gTLD crowd). He's paying $10k in rent each year as an investment to create a coffee club based upon a monthly subscription model. He obviously crunched the numbers, did his projections, and came up with the thesis that he'll be more profitable because of the domain name (rather than starting it simply as an extension of Coffee.org).

•••

I think you are right. Probably should have "www(.)Coffee(.)club" at the bottom to reinforce the fact it's the url. Then again, if someone is looking at the coffee, presumably they are already customers.

•••

Agree.

Also agree you need the www in front, for now anyway. On the packaging that could be discreet, formed like a leaf or beans.

Actually seeing the product packaging this move makes a lot more sense to me, as a branding/display thing. Online or on tv you could animate the dot or a www to reinforce the point that this is a web address.

10k a year for branding - ok for a business.

100k for a speculative domain that people won't understand or use - no go for a domainer. To me that is the thing about new GTLDS - a few strings are very brandable in each but most can't generate the volume to cover their costs.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back