Dynadot

Coffee.club reportedly sells for $100,000 at T.R.A.F.F.I.C.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can't be per annum reg fee as coffee.club is $ 10K per year?
If I'm interpreting this website correctly, with the sale of coffee.club, it is $10,000 per annum. registration fees along with interest as it does not meet the criteria of being $200,000 and above. Afterwhich, I would assume it drops back to regular registration fees as you own it.

After that big of a payment, you should own it for life because NetSol will even try to secure 100 years worth of registration on a Verisign .com (I think 20 years at a time). Being the registry, they sold the name and it could no longer collect annual fees. ICANN would be nominal at that point as well with all the interest they paid.

Unless this one was "off the books" compared to the site we were given ($100k/10 year/no obligation/etc.).

•••
I see no terms of the lending process, rather what you can lend (how much down, interest below 200k, etc.).

...snip snip...
Although, I do like the extra measure you took to make a huge * in order to show that only names above 200k are interest free. Some companies like to stick those markers in there real small.

I don't see any reference to 200K.

All I see is that for domains priced over $20,000 you buy the domain for a price of $Y that get put into 10 equal payments interest free after which it is normal renewal.

So Coffee.Club is $100K.
2014 $10K
2023 $10K
2024 $15 presuming the internet still exists, .club exists, and it's still $15.

I'd be interested to see how they booked this in their financials on an accrual or cash basis.
There wouldn't need to be any lending involved - that would be a separate transaction, looks like it's straight sale. Don't know why .club would finance it.. then again, I'm sure a competent tax attorney could figure out how to deduct a loan to yourself for something of no intrinsic value.. etc.

If I'm interpreting this website correctly, with the sale of coffee.club, it is $10,000 per annum. registration fees along with interest as it does not meet the criteria of being $200,000 and above. Afterwhich, I would assume it drops back to regular registration fees as you own it.
Must have changed the site - don't see reference to 200K and it clearly states it drops to normal renewal. The example is for a $40K name which is $4K a year.
cl.PNG

After that big of a payment, you should own it for life
I agree. That's how .us did it. Seems crazy to sell something for $100K and then ask for $15 a year.

Example:

Registrar Info
NameNEUSTAR RESERVE ACCOUNT A
StatusserverTransferProhibited
Important Dates
Expires OnDecember 29, 2101

This is a $395 fee. I have no idea why every govt / chamber of commerce didn't buy their city at that price.

PR campaign seems a useless thing... being mentioned at .club events etc. Maybe if they put on a national tv ad or something. Right now it's big domainer news - they drink red bull not coffee :)

•••

After that big of a payment, you should own it for life because NetSol will even try to secure 100 years worth of registration on a Verisign .com (I think 20 years at a time). Being the registry, they sold the name and it could no longer collect annual fees. ICANN would be nominal at that point as well with all the interest they paid.

Unless this one was "off the books" compared to the site we were given ($100k/10 year/no obligation/etc.).

It appears the start level is premium .club names costing $20,000 and above although I fail to see how many of them,if any,could justify even that as a price tag.

•••
It appears the start level is premium .club names costing $20,000 and above although I fail to see how many of them,if any,could justify even that as a price tag.

It's the PR and advertising on Namepros that kicks up the value! Especially if it gets picked up by Domaining.com <insert rotflmao pop>

•••
*Startup.club payment plans are only available for Premium Domain Names priced at $20,000 or higher. Let us know the name you’re interested in and we’ll provide the list price.
My bad, it's $20k and up for interest. So one can safely assume if this is an insecure loan over 10 years, around 10% interest? Coffee.club paying ~$11,000 per month?

Anything below $20k is interest free. But, I have no interest in them. Just wanted more transparency as there is a lack thereof in this industry.

<pizzadoughpop>

•••
My bad, it's $20k and up for interest. So one can safely assume if this is an insecure loan over 10 years, around 10% interest? Coffee.club paying ~$11,000 per month?

Anything below $20k is interest free. But, I have no interest in them. Just wanted more transparency as there is a lack thereof in this industry.

<pizzadoughpop>

Where does it say anything about interest? It just says 10 equal payments? $10,000 a year.

Don't know how Coffee.org is managing this in his accounting whether self financing or through loan etc. There may be no interest at all- he could have setup all kinds of financing shenanigans.....$11,000 is steep - that's roughly what a spot in a mall costs :)

Seems that would be outside of his deal with .club unless they had a finance division (why would they, not enough movement to warrant it).

Last edited:
•••
If you go to Startup.club you can see their basic "payment plan" and "terms". I assume you have to join or call the registry; which I'm too lazy to, in order to see the terms of financing to report back. dotClub should just be honest and lay it out so they can differentiate themselves from the scandalous XYZ people.

•••
David, is there a place for the response to the naysayers this morning? I did not make a copy before you deleted it. Could you send me a copy if it. Thank you. Bill Mac

•••
David, is there a place for the response to the naysayers this morning? I did not make a copy before you deleted it. Could you send me a copy if it. Thank you. Bill Mac
Why did your post get deleted? That's ridiculous as it was the only worthwhile post in this speculative thread!

•••
I was lucky enough to read it before it was deleted...

I think David's post was deleted because it was a commercial/advertisement, but it contained lots of valuable information that other domainers would probably be interested in reading.

Last edited:
•••
Too funny. Everyone is blowing smoke about possible payment terms and those posts stay in tact. The buyer is kind enough to respond in detail and it's deleted. The mods need to explain that one IMO.

•••
I think David's post was deleted because it was a commercial/advertisement, but it contained lots of valuable information that other domainers would probably be interested in reading.
Then Namepros has to delete every showcase thread as they only contain advertisements of registrations....domainers hoping to make a sale from public viewings.

•••
Yes I replied to that post, quoting it, just to elicit more info and now my post is gone too.

•••
Then Namepros has to delete every showcase thread as they only contain advertisements of registrations....domainers hoping to make a sale from public viewings.

Too funny. Everyone is blowing smoke about possible payment terms and those posts stay in tact. The buyer is kind enough to respond in detail and it's deleted. The mods need to explain that one IMO.

Buyer replied to my questions but his answers also got deleted, Maybe there was a valid reason - perhaps he deleted his own post? I'd like to know.

•••
Buyer replied to my questions but his answers also got deleted, Maybe there was a valid reason - perhaps he deleted his own post? I'd like to know.
No he didn't delete it. It was removed which is crazy. I'd like to see it put back!

•••

Hi Bill

I don't speak for anyone other than myself here and I don't know what goes on behind the scenes here, but I'm sorry your post was deleted and I'd like to say welcome and thanks for coming. I hope my reply did not seem abrupt - it's just that we're all keen to gather info on this forum and when you get into buying and selling domains there is a lot of smoke and mirrors and speculation.

I hope if your post violated an NP rule - possibly there is one about mentioning affiliate schemes - that you get the chance to edit and re-post something that clearly took you some time to write.

•••
Thank you, I hope someone copied it. Please send to Bill @ McClure dot com. I will post it on other blogs. Best regards, Bill.

•••
I was lucky enough to read it before it was deleted...

Bill's

•••
I think the post by @wcmcclure was excellent. He explained exactly what he was attempting to achieve with his buy, the rationale behind it and a bit of his history behind his company.

I can understand removing some of the offers he included and mention of his affiliate program (as it is advertising in the strict sense) but here we have a guy who's a domainer, businessman, and most of all a combination of the two who was nice enough to post on this forum. In fact, this is exactly what this forum needs and is accused of lacking... smh

I had started responding to it so I will continue. There needs to be a separation made from the business and domain... the question was asked after posting "What if it goes bust?"

Coffee.org is not going bust over a domain name. The idea that I read was to create a personalized coffee club component to his existing coffee business (which is not new) and use the domain towards that concept. Whether the domain is appropriate and works in the long run is irrelevant in my mind to the success of the venture. That's going to be down to Bill's delivery (and I've bought from Coffee.org and I got a personal email so I believe that the 'we're small family' is not a schtick but just the way they operate). In the end the domain does fit perfectly for what he wants to do (along with cafe.club). I've said that there is opportunity for end users to effectively use gtlds despite their lack of investment potential for domainers.

No domainer would EVER part with 100K for the domain, but a business man with a plan can try and I hope he makes it. The silly thing to me is that the purchase comes with free PR support from .club and the reality is that I actually think in cases like this it works the other way around.

The other thing is that domainers have no perspective, in some cases, of real value of money time. We're talking 10K a year which is a lot - it's a fair amount for unproven domain. A Starbucks franchise - which involves far more build, far more risk, is $100K+ up front with more recurring costs and rent that will easily surpass it. That's not to say I'm equating the domain with the b&m business but it puts costs in perspective. An online coffee venture will use different avenues and Coffee.club is something that a successful businessman wants to try. Would I do it? No. I'd focus on the coffee.org brand (or Miss Ellie to be specific) but the risk reward ratio here is probably well thought out.

I'm not going to second guess Mr McClure.. but as cynical as I am, I also don't want to naysay someone who has achieved more than me :) I wish him luck.. I think his business venture will be a success (personalized coffee is something awesome... and I've bought lots of coffee online as well as tea) .... I don't think it will lead .CLUB to the promise land... it certainly won't lead domainers to vast reseller fortunes... but it might make one site successful.

I urge the mods to put the post back - redacting the specific pieces if necessary. Right now Namepros looks like amateurish morons with no flexibility where it should exist. At least just email the post to him so he can put it on DNF or somewhere else. Let Equity78 post it on his site, or Berkens on TheDomains..... removing it was just plain stupid. No two ways about it.

Last edited:
•••
Hopefully Bill's post will appear on the internet somewhere else sometime soon.... maybe a break room... maybe just where people hang out and chit chat about stuff they find on the internet in different places. Perhaps.

Last edited:
•••
Hopefully it will appear on the internet somewhere else sometime soon.... maybe a break room... maybe just where people hang out and chit chat about stuff they find on the internet in different places. Perhaps.

Well, I read yesterday that college age kids are using the new TLDs also. One particular site is syracuse.nyc which is being used by uconn students to troll syracuse students.

http://www.thedomains.com/2014/11/11/nyc-domain-helps-uconn-basketball-troll-syracuse/

That is how adoption starts...with the general public and then businesses. The first websites were university, research, and informational sites and then after some time businesses caught up.

•••
--

Last edited:
•••
Good Evening from the Coffee.Club. I am Bill McClure, the guy who bought Coffee.Club last week. This morning I tried to explain the reason we bought the Coffee.Club domain last week at TRAFFIC. I hope that I am not violating any posting issues this evening.

We have been in the coffee business for a number of years. Ellie aka Miss Ellie, (our daughter) set out to help the children when we bought and started Coffee.org in 2008.

This effort makes no difference to the people who think this purchase was about money. It is about making a difference in the lives of our coffee growing families.

We support and believe in the sustainable coffee efforts to help the poor farmers in the coffee growing regions. It is our effort to bring awareness to the poverty of coffee growing farmers all over the world.

No Domainer can relate to the poverty of coffee growers. There are no computers, no electricity and clean water is an issue. Many are women whose husbands have left for the cities to make a living for their families. Coffee farmers are the poorest of the poor. Many paid a $1.00 per day and get paid only once a year. They have to live on this existence without government subsidies.

While you drink your morning coffee tomorrow using a $120.00 coffee machine. Give a thought to the work it took to pick the cherries and get the product to market only make a few hundred dollars a year.

Coffee.Club will be about fighting hunger and help you learn about how you can help the sustainability effort.

Coffee.Club will be a Third Wave Coffee which means a current movement to produce high-quality coffee, and consider the coffee as an artisanal coffee direct from its indigenous grower, rather than a commodity. This movement will involve helping improving coffee plant growing, harvesting, and processing, to stronger relations with coffee growers, importing and a higher quality and fresh roasting, which we call "microroasting".

Third Wave Coffee aspires to the highest form of culinary appreciation of coffee, so that you may appreciate subtleties of flavor, varietal, and growing region. Our first coffees will come from Ethiopia, Guatemala, Peru, Honduras and possibly Costa Rica.

Think about homemade bread. Breads in the grocery store taste different than your Grandmothers. It could never compare to your Grandmas homemade bread. In my first career, the funeral business, we had service one day for a ladies husband, we later called Aunt Merle. After the service and for all of the years that I owned the funeral home, Aunt Merle would use a yeast starter and bake fresh bread, muffins and cinnamon rolls for my family, almost every week. Merle would bake the goodies and call me to come have a cup of coffee. There was no way you could duplicate the taste or the love she put in the goodies. We know you can buy a commodity coffee anywhere. But we will be one of the coffees you will be proud to drink, know you are part of the solution.

So when we think of the coffee you will receive from the Coffee.Club, you may expect the same care from our growers, roaster and our staff who will guarantee you are making a difference as well.

It will be our effort to buy direct from the direct trade of origin coffee.

The Coffee.Club will be roasting fresh Arabica coffee beans and delivering direct to your doorstep. You will always have fresh coffee.

Our passion for coffee and the best customer experience at Coffee.Org will carry the same great tradition to the Coffee.Club. As a Coffee.Club member, you’ll get deliveries on a convenient schedule that meets your needs.

Our specialty artisan roaster is a master at roasting each batch by hand, carefully controlling the heat and air flow, then gently smoking the beans to enhance the flavor and aroma. The beans will be air cooled for 24 hours. We will package the beans or grind the coffee and immediately load it on the FED EX truck to deliver the freshest coffee to homes across the world.

We will also have a Coffee.Club Keurig compatible single cup which we call the Real Cup.

It does not take a lot to make a big difference in our lives today.

What kind of company and consumers buy Third Wave Coffee? It is a younger population. Our children are millennials. They believe in being green and giving back.
We are going to help our customers and friends learn how they can be engaged and a part of this effort. This will be the type of coffee that will create line out the door at your favorite coffee shop.

I believe a company must have a distinct set of core values. Our 66,000 customer of Coffee.org know our passion and conviction to make a difference.

This is the reason; we thought the Coffee.Club would be a good vehicle to use as a subscription tool for pure organic and direct origin coffee.

I hope that I have not offended David with this post. It was not my intention to get deleted this morning.

Thank you. Bill Mac

•••
Welcome Bill, i think ya gotta be in it to win it and i do like the idea of people developing their gtlds so it's all good in my eyes, wish you well
~
Funny to say the other half of the only cup of coffee i have ever tried is probably still sitting there ..cheers

•••
Good Morning from the Coffee.Club. (Sip) I am Bill McClure, the CEO and owner of Coffee.org. Yesterday morning I tried to explain the reason we bought the Coffee.Club domain last week at TRAFFIC. I hope that I am not violating any posting issues this morning.

We have been in the coffee business for a number of years. Ellie aka Miss Ellie, (our daughter) set out to help the children when we bought and started Coffee.org in 2008.

This effort makes no difference to the people who think this purchase was about money. It is about making a difference in the lives of our coffee growing families.

We believe in the sustainable coffee efforts to help the poor farmers in the coffee growing regions. It is our effort to bring awareness to the poverty of coffee growing farmers all over the world.

No Domainer can relate to the poverty of coffee growers. There are no computers, no electricity and water is an issue. Many are women whose husbands have left for the cities to make a living for their families. Coffee farmers are the poorest of the poor. Many paid $1.00 per day and get paid only once a year. They have to live on this existence without government subsidies.

While you drink your morning coffee tomorrow using a $120.00 coffee machine. Give a thought to the work it took to pick the cherries and get the product to market and only make a few hundred dollars a year.

Coffee.Club will be about fighting hunger and help you learn about how you can help the sustainability effort.

Coffee.Club will be a Third Wave of Coffee which is a current movement to produce high-quality coffee, and a artisanal coffee direct from its indigenous grower, rather than a commodity. This movement will involve helping the farmer by improving coffee plant growing, harvesting, and processing, to stronger relations with coffee growers, importing and a higher quality and fresh roasting, which we call "microroasting".

Third Wave Coffee aspires to the highest form of culinary appreciation of coffee, so that you may appreciate subtleties of flavor, varietal, and growing region. Our first coffees will come from Ethiopia and Guatemala, followed by Jamaican, Peru, Honduras and possibly Costa Rica.

Why do breads in the grocery store taste different than your Grandmother made? It could never compare to your Grandmas homemade bread. In my first career of the funeral business, we had a service one day for a ladies husband, we later called Aunt Merle. After the service and for all of the years that I owned the funeral home, Aunt Merle would use a yeast starter and bake fresh bread, muffins and cinnamon rolls for my family, almost every week. Merle would bake the goodies and call me to come have a cup of coffee. There was no way you could duplicate the taste or the love she put in the goodies. We know you can buy a commodity coffee anywhere. But we hope this will be one of the coffees you are be proud to drink, knowing you are part of the solution.

So when we think of the coffee you will receive from the Coffee.Club, you may expect the same care from our growers, roaster and our staff who will guarantee you are making a difference as well.

It will be our effort to buy direct from the direct trade of origin coffee.

The Coffee.Club will be roasting fresh Arabica coffee beans and delivering direct to your doorstep. You will always have fresh coffee.

Our passion for coffee and the best customer experience at Coffee.Org will carry the same great tradition to the Coffee.Club. As a Coffee.Club member, you’ll get deliveries on a convenient schedule that meets your needs.

Our specialty artisan roaster is a master at roasting each batch by hand, carefully controlling the heat and air flow, then gently smoking the beans to enhance the flavor and aroma. The beans will be air cooled for 24 hours. We will package the beans or grind the coffee and immediately load it on the FED EX truck to deliver the freshest coffee to homes across the world.

We will also have a Coffee.Club Keurig compatible single cup which we call the Real Cup.
It does not take a lot to make a big difference in our lives today.

What kind of company and consumers buy Third Wave Coffee? It is a younger population. Our children are millennials. They believe in being green and giving back.

We are going to help our customers and friends learn how they can be engaged and a part of this effort. This will be the type of coffee that will create line out the door at your favorite coffee shop.

I believe a company must have a distinct set of core values. Our 66,000 customer of Coffee.org know our passion and conviction to make a difference.

This is the reason; we thought the Coffee.Club would be a good vehicle to use as a subscription tool for pure organic and direct origin coffee.

Thank you for the platform to give my side of the story. Sincerely, Bill Mac

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back