Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does anyone think that the media coverage of gTLDs might increase the public's overall "awareness" of domains and possibly benefit .CO? Domain investors know the difference between the two, and the application process, etc., but for a lot of people they've heard more about domains in the last year (with coverage of .XXX and the possibility of .chicago and .pizza and .lol coming down the road) than ever before.

It will be a while before we see the new TLDs and .CO has been around longer than that, but I think this could prompt people to take a closer look at all of the options available to them. I see .CO, .TV, and .ME benefiting from this.

•••
Totally agree. With the new rollout of new TLDs, .com is worth 75% more IMO. And that scales down for other blue chip extensions such as .net, .co and .me to an increase of about 15%.

Have you seen all the cash put into .CO and the results? Not bad results for a 2 year old company but imagine new TLDs with a fraction of the advertising budget and less recognizable extensions. .CO had impeccable timing. They got in before the big rollouts. Registrars stand to benefit here and very few others.

If you are a developer with specific plans in mind for a new TLD registration, I'd say go for. If you are a domain speculator, stay far away, unless you can get the top 5% of quality domain registrations.

The extensions that stand to benefit form the new influx

.com (by a very wide margin)
.net
.tv
.co
.me

Does anyone think that the media coverage of gTLDs might increase the public's overall "awareness" of domains and possibly benefit .CO? Domain investors know the difference between the two, and the application process, etc., but for a lot of people they've heard more about domains in the last year (with coverage of .XXX and the possibility of .chicago and .pizza and .lol coming down the road) than ever before.

It will be a while before we see the new TLDs and .CO has been around longer than that, but I think this could prompt people to take a closer look at all of the options available to them. I see .CO, .TV, and .ME benefiting from this.

•••

I don't think it will hurt .com or .org at all, it's the ones people are used to seeing, just watch TV. And most of the major brands already have their .com, so none of them will be switching. Don't think it will hurt the major ccTLDs like .de, .co.uk etc. The other extensions tho are alternatives (such as .co) and now you'll have a flood of new alternatives, which can't help the price at all on those.

•••
I don't think it will hurt .com or .org at all, it's the ones people are used to seeing, just watch TV. And most of the major brands already have their .com, so none of them will be switching. Don't think it will hurt the major ccTLDs like .de, .co.uk etc. The other extensions tho are alternatives (such as .co) and now you'll have a flood of new alternatives, which can't help the price at all on those.

By that logic, you can see a decrease in the price of .com. I don't agree with that. You are suggesting that the market flood will not bode well for ANY extension. I disagree. .CO will continue to advertise massively. And isn't it about advertising? Sure it is. Clear that .com will be the biggest winners but .me,.tv and .co only stand to benefit. .com has been the most advertised extension over the past 15 years. They clearly stand to benefit the most.

But don't discount the other known extensions.

•••
"By that logic, you can see a decrease in the price of .com"

No, because what's coming to market aren't gold standard, tried and true extensions like .com or some of the other ones I mentioned. What's coming are a boatload of alternatives. So now, when you can't get the .com you really want, you have a lot more alternative extensions to choose from.

Tried and true extensions - limited

vs.

Alternative extensions - many already, a new flood of them coming. Just going to get watered down.

Last edited:
•••
Other than .com (the default for the last 20 years), the extension that has the best advertising platform stands to benefit. I will wait and see which advertising platform can out-do .me and .co.

.com is another story.

"By that logic, you can see a decrease in the price of .com"

No, because what's coming to market aren't gold standard, tried and true extensions like .com or some of the other ones I mentioned. What's coming are a boatload of alternatives. So now, when you can't get the .com you really want, you have a lot more alternative extensions to choose from.

Tried and true extensions - limited

vs.

Alternative extensions - many already, a new flood of them coming. Just going to get watered down.

•••
Does anyone think that the media coverage of gTLDs might increase the public's overall "awareness" of domains and possibly benefit .CO?
First of all, .co is the ccTLD of Colombia. Unlike .tv, it has a natural local market (along .com.co). It's not a new extension, it's been around for two decades.

But it has a rather unique weakness, it's confusingly similar to .com. .biz .pro and the new TLDs like .corp .ltd are not.

If you are a developer with specific plans in mind for a new TLD registration, I'd say go for. If you are a domain speculator, stay far away, unless you can get the top 5% of quality domain registrations.
Now that you posted this I wonder how this thread reached 300+ pages, because it seems obvious every single poster should have stayed away from .co... :gl:

•••
I think long term .co domains will pay off. As warren buffet said you should never follow the herd. When people are selling you should buy. Thr markets now gping to be flooded with even more extensions.. .shop .youtube .books etc. This should increase .co domains value. Im sticking to one word dictionary domains for .co.

Imagine if we had the foresight to buy up tons of .com dictionary domains many years ago..

My 2 cents

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

•••
Blah,blah,blah. Crap you speak. Speculating, that's all. Confusingly similar, what a bunch of garbage. With 2000 new TLDs coming through this is a joke. Clearly you don't understand advertising. I'm not a professional, by no means, but if you can't see this is all about advertising, then I don't know. You are constantly protecting .com because of your portfolio.

Fact is, you have no control over the future. It's clear you haven't diversified. Tough luck.

You are expecting your lawn to stop growing and what a boner that is.

This is a numbers game, with quality thrown in. You are on the edge of being considered a dinosaur.

You are looking for stability where there is no stability.

Good luck to you.

First of all, .co is the ccTLD of Colombia. Unlike .tv, it has a natural local market (along .com.co). It's not a new extension, it's been around for two decades.

But it has a rather unique weakness, it's confusingly similar to .com. .biz .pro and the new TLDs like .corp .ltd are not.

Now that you posted this I wonder how this thread reached 300+ pages, because it seems obvious every single poster should have stayed away from .co... :gl:

•••
You all can go round and round but here's how I see it...

Only an insane person would develop a .co without owning the .com. But wait, if they own the .com then the .co is worthless anyways :blink:

New tlds will most certainly not make .co more valuable. It is what it is and that's not very much, be it today or in 5 years :wave:

If you haven't turned a profit by now, it's best to move forward with other investments IMO.

•••
First of all, .co is the ccTLD of Colombia. It's not a new extension, it's been around for two decades.

Right, which is why I said this:

It will be a while before we see the new TLDs and .CO has been around longer than that...

I know it's not new. But even though it's two decades old, only a fraction of the general public knows it exists. My question was purely from a marketing/exposure perspective. I think it's possible that a few people out there might get curious about the increased coverage of things right-of-the dot, research their options, and come across .CO, whereas they might not have initially been aware of it before. Yes, the market will be flooded (and diluted) with hundreds of new options, but .CO is still one of them.

.CO has a local economy/base but .com.co is clearly still the default in Colombia.

I agree it's difficult to speculate how the public will react to the influx of new TLDs. And I'm not counting .CO among them, because it's *not* new and not a gTLD. But I think anything that piques the public's interest regarding domains and drives people to want to learn more (and possibly register a few for themselves), helps the domaining community in the long run.

Or it could just end up helping the registrars and/or owners of the new gTLDs, which is probably the case. We will never be in a better position than those who are controlling the game. But the general public is pretty clueless even regarding well-established TLDs right now, so I see any sort of news exposure and education as a good thing.

Last edited:
•••
Totally agree. With the new rollout of new TLDs, .com is worth 75% more IMO.
75% more?

And that scales down for other blue chip extensions such as .net, .co and .me to an increase of about 15%.
The .co ccTLD is not a blue chip extension. A blue chip extension has a significant global (or local) market share, growing and continual web development and a healthy secondary market. The .net and .org TLDs may qualify. In terms of blue chip TLDs, .UK and .DE would be blue chip TLDs based on the above criteria.

The .me ccTLD is a far better targeted option for the personal expression market. Just to say it again .CO is not a blue chip TLD. It is a highly speculated TLD and it will take another few years for its real value to emerge.

Not bad results for a 2 year old company but imagine new TLDs with a fraction of the advertising budget and less recognizable extensions.
Guess you didn't see this post on TheDomains.com: www.thedomains.com/2012/06/12/juan-calle-straat-investments-applies-for-13-gtlds/

The extensions that stand to benefit form the new influx

.com (by a very wide margin)
.net
Actually you've missed out .ORG there.

Niche ccTLD.

The real wildcard ccTLD that nobody seems to have mentioned will be .US ccTLD.

Unlikely. A lot of the speculative registrations will drop and the money saved will be used on other speculative registrations in new gTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

That's a headshot for .co ccTLD - .corp, .ltd, .gmbh, .llc .sarl are all recognised business formats whereas .co was being pushed as being "like" a business format. The .biz gTLD started out being a business alternative to .com but a lack of purpose, advertising really meant that it couldn't compete with .com TLD. Now if there are registration criteria that have to be followed for these business new gTLDs then they will have quite an edge over less precisely focused, and in .co ccTLD's case repurposed, TLDs. The danger is that .co ccTLD could end up like .name gTLD - overtaken by events. The only thing that could make a difference for .co ccTLD, to stop it ending up like .name gTLD, is development and a lot of it.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Totally agree. With the new rollout of new TLDs, .com is worth 75% more IMO.

Finally I get it. Make downtown worth 75% more by surrounding it with lesser quality buildings...

Thanks
tumblr_le98vvxQWs1qzb19mo1_500.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Blah,blah,blah. Crap you speak. Speculating, that's all. Confusingly similar, what a bunch of garbage. With 2000 new TLDs coming through this is a joke. Clearly you don't understand advertising. I'm not a professional, by no means, but if you can't see this is all about advertising, then I don't know. You are constantly protecting .com because of your portfolio.

Fact is, you have no control over the future. It's clear you haven't diversified. Tough luck.

You are expecting your lawn to stop growing and what a boner that is.

This is a numbers game, with quality thrown in. You are on the edge of being considered a dinosaur.

You are looking for stability where there is no stability.

Good luck to you.

I guess Robert Cline is guest posting.

•••
The right of the dot thing is overrated among domainers. Don't forget it's marketing...

Around 2001 a couple TLDs like .biz .pro .aero were released and back then there was media coverage too (and expectations).

It's not like the public has never seen that before.
In recent years we also have had roughly one new TLD launched every year. There was media coverage too.

But there is a difference between 2001 and 2012.
Back then there were still opportunities for contender extensions to emerge. Today it's much more difficult because .com and ccTLDs are now deeply entrenched.

Of course we could argue about the reasons why almost all new extensions have failed. Many are truly bad, irrelevant, badly promoted, unneeded etc.

But do you think the new strings that have been applied for are any better ?
Most are doomed.

As always the lessons of the past are quietly discarded. Some people always think they will succeed in spite of the overwhelming pattern of failure.

Now if you look at it, even a dumb TLD like .tel can still be viable financially with defensive registrations. That doesn't mean there's money waiting for you. Domaining thrives on the greater fool theory :laugh:

I agree the timing for .co was good, imagine if it had to compete against hundreds of other TLDs launched at the same time. Also imagine .co without the marketing. Nothing special.

•••
I agree the timing for .co was good, imagine if it had to compete against hundreds of other TLDs launched at the same time. Also imagine .co without the marketing. Nothing special.

Exactly. At least we can say none of the new gTLDs will do better than .CO

•••
You are on the edge of being considered a dinosaur.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCm13K4Mq50"]We will bury you![/ame]
:laugh:

:lala:

•••
•••
Sold saso dot co for $888 via Godaddy.

Nice to know there is still money to be made in 'dead extensions'.

:)

•••
•••
WOW! NNN.co's, come and get them!!! http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2012/06/the-experimental-domain-sale-my-nnn-domains.html

..hurry up..!

..hello..!!?

....anyone??
:ghost:

:bah:

I have got to admit, I like Rick's idea with the auction for the whole lot. :D

That's 90 NNN.CO! So he is dropping them from what I understand?

90 NNN.co's
If they were .com would be worth a minimum of $2,250,000

As a .CO the value of those 90 domains is MINUS $2,250 at this point in time.
On the drop, a few thousand to acquire.

This is what we call "True Face Value"

This could influence many on not renewing their domains come July 20th.

:wave:

•••
Exactly. At least we can say none of the new gTLDs will do better than .CO
No we cannot. Some of the city ngTLDs may do well - especially those with populations rivalling those of small countries. Other niche ngTLDs will also do well. The next year of hype about all these new extensions is going to take the focus away from .CO ccTLD and there is also a Landrush anniversary dump due.

Regards...jmcc

•••
You all can go round and round but here's how I see it...

Only an insane person would develop a .co without owning the .com. But wait, if they own the .com then the .co is worthless anyways :blink:

New tlds will most certainly not make .co more valuable. It is what it is and that's not very much, be it today or in 5 years :wave:

If you haven't turned a profit by now, it's best to move forward with other investments IMO.

I must be the "insane" person - I have a developed .co in pop culture that snags anywhere from 10-20,000 unique visits a month, double that in pageviews and has made right around low $x,xxx through various means.

I don't own the .com but get decent traffic with strictly the .co

•••
Not a very good list of domains. I believe Keith sold 666.co for $7500 back in January, probably to a Chinese buyer. The top domain in your link may be worth $300. Good luck to him with all those 4s in there.

That list is no proof of anything. Just an exasperated guy with a lot of money trying to prove his opinion. There are a ton of other big players who think otherwise. Keep that in mind.

.com is the best extension but that doesn't mean others can't exist with a good amount of success.

WOW! NNN.co's, come and get them!!! http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/2012/06/the-experimental-domain-sale-my-nnn-domains.html

..hurry up..!

..hello..!!?

....anyone??
:ghost:

:bah:

•••
Not a very good list of domains. I believe Keith sold 666.co for $7500 back in January, probably to a Chinese buyer.

The buyer was from Czech Republic. I would be shocked if there was a higher NNN .co sale recorded in the future. 800.co would be the only NNN that has a chance of fetching more IMO.

•••
I got a NNN.co on sedo auction at the moment.... So Far $60 ;(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back