IT.COM

sales CityState.com Domain Sales (How to Value)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
As usual automated appraisal services are all over the place on citystate.com domain names.

Can anyone identify a list of previously sold city+state.com domain names?

How do you evaluate the value of a citystate.com domain name? There are so many advantages to them.

- Realestate Agents love them and pay high prices for them

- They give a sense of legitimacy when you email with [email protected]

- There are only 3 combinations of a city domain name 1) City.com 2) CityState.com 3) CityAbrevState.com

- The single city.com domains go for millions sometimes but aren't always the best option. Say you own Greenville.com, there are 33 cities in the US called Greenville (Washington has 88). You need the state behind it to identify the location properly.

- I have reached out to specific City.com domains and everyone wants high $6 figures or $7 figures (there is status with owning). The next best thing is CityState.com.

What are your thoughts on CityState.com geo domain prices? What is your forecast for the future of these types of domains? I personally believe they are becoming too expensive for most real estate agents and large corporate hqs are going to buy them, maybe big local news, or the cities themselves. Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends on the city but for the most I would assume most citystate.com domains that are either hot tourism destinations or endowed with populations greater than 50k have decent value, with those with higher search statistics being more valuable.

Good examples include domains like ParkCityUtah.com which sold wholesale for 10,222 USD back in 2013, RochesterNewYork.com which sold for $7500 in 2012 and DaytonaBeachFlorida.com which sold for $7500 in 2007(probably worth more today).

Last edited:
•••
It depends on the city but for the most I would assume most citystate.com domains that are either hot tourism destinations or endowed with populations greater than 50k have decent value, with those with higher search statistics being more valuable.

Good examples include domains like ParkCityUtah.com which sold wholesale for 10,222 USD back in 2013, RochesterNewYork.com which sold for $7500 in 2012 and DaytonaBeachFlorida.com which sold for $7500 in 2007(probably worth more today).

Yea, I went after a few and they all had crazy prices (def enduser pricing)
ColumbusOhio.com - she wanted over $200k
ClevelandOhio.com - they wanted at least $49k
CincinnaitOhio.com - they have it at buy now for like $148k
and that's Ohio...

•••
Thanks @slader23
I have been researching city+state.com domains for a week now and it seems most sales are 10+ years ago. It feels like many people are sitting on these domains or the sales are private. It makes me wonder what the true value is considering most appraisal services look at previous sales. With previous sales slim in recent history then appraisals are likely somewhat based on sales from decades ago. It could be that many that picked up city and city+state.com domains have held on tight and their estimated value is hard to understand. Could they be somewhat undervalued? I see geo city+service go for thousands at times so I can imagine a city+state should go for much, much higher. I agree though, most depends on population and exact "keyword" serp. But even with a smaller town... what is better than owning your home town domain name :D

Please post if anyone comes across any recent sales of city+state.com domains or if you happen to have any to sell cheap you know who to PM ;)

•••
Back