IT.COM

Chrome's built-in Adblocker launching on the 15th of February

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is what caught my attention:
It’s important to note that some sites affected by this change may also contain Google ads. To us, your experience on the web is a higher priority than the money that these annoying ads may generate—even for us.

Full article here:
https://9to5google.com/2018/02/14/google-chrome-ad-blocker-launch/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Time to Sedo to finally introduce sale-only landers. Since it is still not done, I guess they understand that many customers will start using these landers by default and so the (remaining) parking income stream for Sedo will go down. What they probably miss is that the domainsales will go up, and so the sales commissions....

here is the sedo lander

https://sedo.com/search/details/?domain=lyz.co

Last edited:
•••

Indeed, may work if domain forwarding is set to this destination. But I see 3 issues with this setup:

- Last time I checked, they sent visitors to geo-specific localized forsale pages if the search was performed on the website. Manually setting domain forwarding to just one page (English) is not optimal, so it would be necessary to set a separate forwarding system with geoip db to do this correctly. Still may be done, but with extra work

- Such a sale would be marked as the sale "referred" by sedo.com itself and charged 20% commission. To the contrary, if a buyer visited sedo-parked domain and selected "buy now" link - it would be 15% commission.

- They still show "number of visitors" on the sales pages, even though such details are incorrect due to bots and have little to do with domain pricing anyway. Showing 0 visitors (which would happen in case of domain forwarding without parking) will not help sales.

Unless I am missing something with the issues noticed above, there is still something for Sedo to take care of...

•••
Here is a godaddy lander with ublock off

Picture0006.png

Now uBlock on...... blank page and address bar.

Picture0005.png

•••
So just to summarize....

If Sedo shows ads on your landing page it will be zapped.

Parking is all ads and is usually completely zapped

well.. I am nto sure what your sying by that as parking revenue is still way up there for a lot of people (I am not necessarily talking about me though I know its possible from experience to make money.. its just a matter of learning the methods.. and geting the right domains)..

so.. at least for now.. parking still works.. shows ads to enough people so that enough people still make money from parking today.. what future brings.. I guess we wait and see. :)

though I have to say.. I am also very curious as to what % of my vistors blocks the ads when they get to each of my domains..
I wish parkignm companies would display a ltitle stat like that next to each domain.. its technically doable right?

•••
•••
I use a personal landing page where all my domains point too. It uses the originating domain in the address bar and shows what I want it to. I tried parking once and for the measly pennies I got I was better off advertising my own domains.

So now I have a lander and all advertisements are my own. It gets past all blockers no issues and my clients see what I want them to.

•••
oh wow.. that does suck indeed. not even a sale banner. at least my PC pages show the banner.. which for most of my domains is what matters most to me.. and most domainers.

Yup 100% blank, not a single thing shows, anyone not knowing better would think no website at that address.

•••
yes, but thats exactly the debatable parts..to flood or not to flood... etc.. I find that trying to put yourself in buyer shoes is always a nice solution.. works good most time. not easy though.

but again, you are talking about not using parked pages cause they yield you pennies per month.. and I'm talking more about the folk who make tens or hundreds per month from parking.. so your solution and approach are different from them.. they do what needs to be done to keep making their revenues.. sale banners etc.. for others who make close to nothing from parking, what do they care about ad blockers, banners, etc.. they just make their own lander and don't think twice about it,.

Yeah, I know that part does suck and unfortunately the parking revenue will probably decline. Being in the business it has always annoyed me that I could not unblock parked pages but because each address is different I cannot whitelist them. Trust me, it gives me ideas when I see other domainers pages. I cant tell you how often I have clicked the off button just to see more details about the domain. Unfortunately regular people who punch the address in by accident or who see the site blank will just click on the next webpage.

The more I think about it the more it sucks for people with income from parked pages. I would definitely be for not blocking them. In the end its all controlled by easylist and one has to pay to get whitelisted.

Last edited:
•••
"It’s important to note that some sites affected by this change may also contain Google ads. To us, your experience on the web is a higher priority than the money that these annoying ads may generate—even for us."

LOL. Tell that to the people who are paying for those ads.
Cutting off the foot to save the body? Quite revealing, imo.

•••
Also understand that if somebody like Mapledots who has Ublock installed, they may not see the ads on your parking page. But also they have no plans on ever clicking on your ads anyway.

Donny

•••
I like how Donny from voodoo & equity78 from TLDinvestors go around liking each others posts that declare ad blockers irrelevant or obsolete.

Fact is they will be around for a long time, on android google removed extensions purely because they wanted ads displayed. Good thing that android is open source because many browsers dozens and dozens sprung up to take chromes place. The fact that firefox has full extension support in firefox now is just amazing. We can add Greasemonkey to install custom scripts and do almost anything.

The consumer does not have to be educated because the aftermarket browsers will do all the heavy lifting and come with the scripts already installed. I read an article that said in India and Pakistan the adblock browsers were more popular than the factory ones.

I just find it funny that businesses keep saying irrelevant and then they run to install scripts to block ad blockers. The OEM's are bringing out their own ad blockers because they realize they are not going away. So take away the flashing ads and politely ask your users to whitelist you. I would immediately do so and so would a large chunk of the adblock user base.

How good are the blockers?
Here is a before and after picture of TLDinvestor.com with and without a blocker.

Without
Picture0010.png

With uBlock

Picture0011.png

I could not post all the flashing etc but I have to say at least their ads don't interfere with the content. That said once I read 3 or so articles I get pretty tired of all the flashing on both sides. A better way would be a banner top and bottom so when I read the articles it is not continuously flashing in my eyes but I still see the ads top and bottom.

I see both sides of the argument but if something keeps flashing in my face I will disable it.

So go ahead and keep liking all the posts that spell doom and gloom for ad blockers but that wont change the fact that consumers are using them and will continue to do so. And of course you can dislike me for stating a factual truth.

•••
@MapleDots
I liked a post from anybody? That's interesting. Can't say I remember liking any posts. But if you say I did, then I guess I did.

And I like equity78 don't think adblockers are obsolete. Crap, now my inner Matt Hardy voice is taking over. I just think that Chrome will "delete" them! It is time for me to leave this shell and return to my dilapidated boat!

Sorry, that was weird...

If you like adblockers, use them. I have 5 browsers that I have open 24 hours a day. 2 of them have adblockers running, the other 3 do not. I normally actually surf the net with Edge, because I'm on the edge. :)

I wish you luck in all of your future endeavors.

Donny

•••
I was talking about one person (Donny) saying adblockers will be obsolete and another person going and liking all of his posts that are similar. The thing in common is both people have a vested interest in having ads run on their websites.

Guys, seriously I am not trying to criticize you but I just keep hoping advertisers and consumers could work closer together to get to a happy medium.

Good ads, I'll click them, great experience on the website, I will disable my blocker.
I am on a few websites where they actively converse with members to see what works and does not. Those sites make good money on ads because the member base whitelists them.

@equity78 - the flashing ads would cause me not to whitelist, again not a critisism as much as a fact.

@Donny I don't currently have an address for a voodoo parked page so I cannot give you a direct opinion on ads for your landers.

That is all, I hope you take that at face value and not as a criticism.

PS. Sedo did something right because their landers are now showing up nicely with uBlock.

•••
So I spoke too soon......

When a page shows on sedo with sedo.com in the address bar it shows up and the ad blockers leave it alone.

97949_730bf8e8c999f3a72808de2d9fba4274.png

However when the page is parked with the domainers address in the address bar it is almost fully blocked.

Picture0012.png

Just thought I would update that.

•••
It is too bad because parked pages are a good source of revenue for domainers.

@Donny

Is there any way an adblock user can whitelist a service like voodoo?

I think I may have a way for you to do it.

So domain1.com owned by a domainer is blocked and so is domain2.com. I cannot whitelist because every URL is different.

Voodoo displays parked pages like this

voodoo.com/url/domain1.com

Now I can whitelist voodoo and all parked pages will appear.

•••
@alcy - It's a little complicated to give you an exact number on how many people are using an adblocker that hit our system. The reason is different adblockers work different ways. And also spiders are flagged in the same group as well. But my silence, was because I went to sleep.

@MapleDots - I was on a website the other day and their login box wasn't showing up, I couldn't figure out why. It was because I was using one of my browsers that had an adblocker turned on. This website had named their login box something with "ads", because they knew that if you had an ad blocker turned on you wouldn't see it. I thought it was pretty funny, that the only way you could login to your account is if you turned off your ad blocker.

Donny

•••
Nothing will be resolved until users can fund content with anonymous payments
It is an interesting idea, a new browser ("BRAVE", brave dot com) tries to implement this:

"Brave is on a mission to fix the web by giving users a safer, faster and better browsing experience – while growing support for content creators through a new attention-based ecosystem of rewards.. Brave is open source, and built by a team of privacy focused, performance oriented pioneers of the web, founded by the inventor of Javascript and co-founder of Mozilla." (quote end)

It is based on chromium code, and is still in beta. For example, built-in adblock still allows some ads which are normally blocked by others, and it is not configurable (or maybe I did not find how to improve adblock). For example it allowed escrow.com banners to be shown on one of domaining blogs, something that I personally do not need or want to see. Also a few big "skyscraper" banners were allowed somewhere else.... The project looks promising though. And it is under active development. Anonymous payments to publishers are already possible.

P.S. Google ads on parked domains are all blocked with brave browser adfilter. Bad for us the domainers, good for endusers. And, as expected, any website can be whitelisted to show ads

Last edited:
•••
There is a company
https://www.seven.com/android-adblocker-download.php

They don't stop at ad blocking within the browser, they take off all ads in android including the ones in apps.
A bit time consuming to set up but I have been using them on and off for a couple of years and it actually works well. So well that there were booted of the play store by google but they have direct download links.

I don't use them so much anymore because I mostly use firefox with ublock origin on android now. Keeps things more private and when watching youtube it is a completely ad free experience.

That said I use chrome and ublock origin on my desktop pc because I like to whitelist the websites I visit most often. If they have a few ads that bother me I just zap those elements and allow the non intrusive ones to load.

So for me I do both, I whitelist my faves but zap out any flashing madness. :xf.laugh:

•••
Just a headsup,

that was posted to the parking section because of the possibility of said blocker blocking parking pages and adsense ads.

It's only 24hrs since we know what will really happen but if parked pages get blocked that will have a huge impact to the parking industry.

It's one thing for a computer literate user to setup the browser according to their tastes (addons, adblocks, etc.) and another to have it already been setup by G to block ads... even their own.

•••
Just a headsup,

that was posted to the parking section because of the possibility of said blocker blocking parking pages and adsense ads.

It's only 24hrs since we know what will really happen but if parked pages get blocked that will have a huge impact to the parking industry.

It's one thing for a computer literate user to setup the browser according to their tastes (addons, adblocks, etc.) and another to have it already been setup by G to block ads... even their own.

Funny you should say that....

I cannot see any parking page, I just see www.domain.com/xzc

So the page is completely blank, no trace of anything but when I see the domain in the address bar with 3-4 random letters behind it I know there is a parked page present.

Parked pages have long since been blocked by ad blockers. I have posted about that a number of times already saying that personal landing pages are a much better alternative. Just add your own ads and if the ads are blocked at least your landing page will still be visible. On parked pages I am finding the whole page gets removed by my ad blocker which is not good news for the domain owner trying to sell the domain.

•••
a lot of people already use adblocker
myslef included. in chrome.

but I can still see my parking crew ad page with it turned on

@alcy Give me your address and I will see what my blocker shows

•••
Give me your address and I will see what my blocker shows

ok ty

well... I have pretty much all my domains with parking crew.. so you can try example:

lyz
.co

•••
Not everything blocked on this site but see attached, almost everything is gone.

Show attachment 80574

hmmm so you see nothing in terms of ads then.. just sale banner.
what do you use again??

I use chrome+adblock plus

I see this :

upload_2018-2-14_15-3-32.png

•••
hmmm so you see nothing in terms of ads then.. just sale banner.
what do you use again??

I use chrome+adblock plus

I see this :

Show attachment 80575

uBlock origin removes the page almost entirely and it is the hottest blocker out there right now, growing the fastest.

Last edited:
•••
@alcy
what I mean is that, so far only people who knew their way around computers knew about adblockers, how to protect themselves online etc.
The majority of the global internet population have either not much interest for such complexity when browsing or they just have no clue.

If I remember the numbers well, less than 30-35% of the internet users use adblockers but even if that is false, I know from my own earnings that the drop due to adblockers wasn't that bad.. I'm still earning well from parking.

I hope I cleared any confusion.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back