Dynadot

Chrome's built-in Adblocker launching on the 15th of February

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is what caught my attention:
It’s important to note that some sites affected by this change may also contain Google ads. To us, your experience on the web is a higher priority than the money that these annoying ads may generate—even for us.

Full article here:
https://9to5google.com/2018/02/14/google-chrome-ad-blocker-launch/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, I haven't seen it go live in Chrome yet. But it has been live in Canary for a while. Our domains work fine at Voodoo.com.

Donny

•••
I don't think it's really worth talking about. MapleDots thinks that Ublock Origin is going to take over Adblock Plus, but based on the stats we are talking years before that could even possibly happen.

I think the browsers will actually make adblock and ublock almost worthless in the near future.

Just my 2 cents.

Donny

•••
Chrome's built it ad blocker is live, but only on Canary right now, which is their development version of Chrome. But since the ad blocker has been live for a while on Canary, Google has already been showing some of the advertisers what ads are good and which ones aren't. So some advertisers are already making their ad stacks more compliant. Which is a good thing.

I never said adblockers would be obsolete. I just said that Chrome will make it so most normal people won't go looking for an ad blocker. Many people will continue to use adblock plus, ublock, or whatever is the flavor of the month. As I said on some browsers I use them myself.

Donny

•••
Matters none to me.... my uBlock Origin with Tapermonkey and the Reek Anti Adblock killer script loaded gets me through anything. Even paywalls are no match for this and I can easily remove overlays that darken the screen so content cannot be read.

For me the chrome version will be an annoyance and can hopefully be shut off because I don't want two blockers slowing down my browser.

•••
a lot of people already use adblocker
myslef included. in chrome.

but I can still see my parking crew ad page with it turned on

•••
hmmm so you see nothing in terms of ads then.. just sale banner.
what do you use again??

I use chrome+adblock plus

I see this :

Show attachment 80575

Mine looks the same as MapleDots and I'm using uBlock Origin as well.

Matter of fact, most landing pages / parked pages with ads I don't see at all. Only pages like Undeveloped work for me (and similar)

•••
oh ok.. well.. wht I meant is that whoever uses adblock plus .. which I believe is the most popular by far chrome block extension should be seeing ads fine.. like I do.

sorry, I did not realize you were talking about people who do not use any blockers.. since our talk was about blockers.

cheers

@alcy on yours at least I see something. On sedo pages and similar I see absolutely nothing but a blank page.

I am curious why you would not load your own ads on a lander and claim 100% of the revenue for yourself?

•••
So Google, themselves a server of advertisements, will be deciding which ads will be seen in their own browser, which just so happens to be the most popular browser in the world?

•••
So Google, themselves a server of advertisements, will be deciding which ads will be seen in their own browser, which just so happens to be the most popular browser in the world?

Google decides what is abuse and that is no different from any other security aspect of the browser. Any security issue or annoyance that would diminish the experience of the end user needs to be addresed.

I very much doubt google will abuse this power because they are keenly aware they have one kick at the can to get ad blocking right. If they start to block legitimate non abusive ads from legitimate websites then the media will just kill them and firefox or edge will be the end beneficiary.

I'm a google fan boy and have all things google but I'll be the first to split if they screw it up. I have read through what they are blocking and I am in full agreement with those elements but if they abuse their power they will lose me to Firefox in a milli second. I already use Firefox as my backup browser and the switch is only a keyclick away.

Last edited:
•••
how do you check if zero click ads work? I don't wanna go there cause maybe they think I view my own ads :)

When your browser has it it will be in

Site Content Settings - for Desktop
Site Settings - for Mobile

Under Block pop-ups it will say
Ads - blocked for some sites

I use the Canary version of chrome for testing and its active there but nowhere else yet.
Even my Beta Version does not have it as of today.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
•••
I'm not sure if a landing page advertising a domain would count as content in Google's eyes.

Obviously not.
Content means a minimum amount of words (300) + external links + images and so on.
Landing page IS NOT content.

•••
i hope parking companies will adopt something similar...
if you have adblock you don't see the website unless you disable it... so people will try to disable it and they will see ads... or maybe they will just go away because they are scared.

Parked domain visitor will more likely simply go away if asked to disable adblock. Just happened to me when I visited mentioned forbes with adblock. Even though I was aware what to expect - Corporate America. Parked domain visitor does not know what exactly to expect, so they will even more likely go other sites instead of spending time and efforts due to curiosity. The best thing parked company may do is to forward such visitors directly to forsale link destination (if forsale top/bottom/etc banner or link is set), or, if the domain is not for sale, to zero click - but carefully selected (preselected) destinations, not "you won ipad" or "browser update" bs. Imho.

•••
No doubt you'll be able to pay google not to have your ads blocked. They never do anything that doesn't make them money.

•••
No doubt you'll be able to pay google not to have your ads blocked. They never do anything that doesn't make them money.
It's just like the mafia extortion racket. They called it a "protection fee". It was a fee to protect you from "them".

•••

Most of the popular ad blockers do this, with the notable exception of uBlock Origin. They claim to have policies for allowable ads, but if you inquire about getting unblocked, they typically require you to fork over something like 30% of the ad revenue that you reclaim by being unblocked.

Google's a bit too big to get away with that, though. Their standards are subjective enough that I suspect they'll just enforce them more aggressively on competitors and less so on their own ads. From the little communication I was able to squeeze out of Google staff, that's the impression I got.

We're two days past the deadline, though, and I'm still not seeing any ads blocked in Chrome Canary. The ad-blocking option isn't even visible yet in the latest stable build.

REMEMBER, IF ALL ELSE FAILS IN THE AD WARS....
Simply use a browser that displays only text.
  • w3m
  • lynx
  • links
  • elinks

Last edited:
•••
It could backfire on them though. It will make some people aware of adblockers and then also aware that their built-in one isn't blocking all of them if that's the way they're going to go (and I suspect they will). Some will no doubt then find an extension to do the same but not controlled by google.

Or it will just encourage all the big sites to evade ad blockers, which means ad blockers will keep getting heavier and slower.

•••
Adblock Plus which is the largest ad blocker, PC, Sedo, and Voodoo I know are whitelisted by Adblock Plus. Some of the other adblockers use adblock plus's white label system.

Ublock, blocks everything. Nothing parking companies can do to stop their blocking.

Donny

•••
@alcy - You are taking what I am saying out of context. People who install ublock origin, are usually your extreme cases of people who don't want to see ads. People who install adblock plus, which is usually want to block ads, but aren't crazy about blocking ads.

Adblock Plus has a 3 times larger installed base than Ublock origin on firefox. I'm assuming the same or larger is on chrome, but those stats aren't shared anywhere.

Donny

•••
The reason Google and I'm sure firefox and Edge will start to add their own adblockers in their browsers, is that companies like ublock and adblock plus are blocking their ads. And in the case of adblock plus, they require you to pay more to be whitelisted. So at least in my opinion, once people know that Chrome has an adblocker installed, they may not go looking for a better one. :)

Donny

•••
I don't think it's really worth talking about. MapleDots thinks that Ublock Origin is going to take over Adblock Plus, but based on the stats we are talking years before that could even possibly happen.

I think the browsers will actually make adblock and ublock almost worthless in the near future.

Just my 2 cents.

Donny

great
thanks for info

good to know as somoene in this field, you do not forsee any noticable changes or drops in revenue caused by blocker evolutions. I am sure domainers appreciate you putting their minds a bit at ease. surely no one wants to see their park revenues decrease, yourself included I imagine. then again, I suppose parking companies have fairly straightforward to implement ways to compensante for any decreased revenues by simply lowering the revenue share %. so say instead of 90/10 model.. it can become 80/20 and so on.

it'd still be interesting imo on a parking company, to see a statistics column for how many visits were actually not displaying the ads (due to blocker). I am sure many who park would find this information interesting. is this something that can be implemented? if not, do you on your end keep track of exact figures and % of visitors who arrive at your pages, but do not see the ads?

ty

Last edited:
•••
I like how Donny from voodoo & equity78 from TLDinvestors go around liking each others posts that declare ad blockers irrelevant or obsolete.

Fact is they will be around for a long time, on android google removed extensions purely because they wanted ads displayed. Good thing that android is open source because many browsers dozens and dozens sprung up to take chromes place. The fact that firefox has full extension support in firefox now is just amazing. We can add Greasemonkey to install custom scripts and do almost anything.

The consumer does not have to be educated because the aftermarket browsers will do all the heavy lifting and come with the scripts already installed. I read an article that said in India and Pakistan the adblock browsers were more popular than the factory ones.

I just find it funny that businesses keep saying irrelevant and then they run to install scripts to block ad blockers. The OEM's are bringing out their own ad blockers because they realize they are not going away. So take away the flashing ads and politely ask your users to whitelist you. I would immediately do so and so would a large chunk of the adblock user base.

How good are the blockers?
Here is a before and after picture of TLDinvestor.com with and without a blocker.

WithoutShow attachment 80889

With uBlock

Show attachment 80890

I could not post all the flashing etc but I have to say at least their ads don't interfere with the content. That said once I read 3 or so articles I get pretty tired of all the flashing on both sides. A better way would be a banner top and bottom so when I read the articles it is not continuously flashing in my eyes but I still see the ads top and bottom.

I see both sides of the argument but if something keeps flashing in my face I will disable it.

So go ahead and keep liking all the posts that spell doom and gloom for ad blockers but that wont change the fact that consumers are using them and will continue to do so. And of course you can dislike me for stating a factual truth.

First off I am not sure what your problem is, I am well up on adblockers, never said they were obsolete, ads on our blog are sold on a fixed basis not CPC where we earn income like adsense. All advertisers know there is a portion of readers using adblockers, it's why there are also native ads that are used with a text only element.

The posts I liked of Donny's had to do with which adblocker would stay dominant.

Like this:

Just my 2 cents.

Browsers will continue to evolve and have their own adblocking solutions Whichever way it goes is not of a concern of mine, we don't use programmatic or videos or autoplay. We do allow a gif, no flash which falls under the good advertising guidelines. Traffic is good, revenue is good, advertisers are happy.

That's the beauty of online publishing as a publisher the numbers tell you all you need to know, when they go down you adjust or move on.

•••
...meanwhile, Chrome's adblock has yet to show up .

I wonder who initially came up with that 15th of Feb date and spread it to the rest of the world :)

•••
All parking companies who work with a very large upstream ad provider, will all be blocked with ublock. The only ones that would not be blocked are somebody who is using Yahoo.

Donny

•••
So for example domainadvertising.com their parked pages are blocked by ublock. That's because they use a common div, but somebody else I know who has a Yahoo feed, their ads show up perfectly fine with ublock. I won't say who they are because they only offer parking to select customers.

Donny

upload_2018-2-19_21-16-4.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back