Dynadot

debate chlp.com sold for $480

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steve Bowler

Established Member
Impact
I was looking at LLLL sales today and thought wow! chip.com sold for $480,
even I would of used my rent money to buy that at that price!

Until I looked closer, it was chLp.com, my eyes are not that great, but I am sure it would,
initially at least, fool some people.

Mind you, anyone that bought it without realising it was an
L and not an I probably deserves it I guess?

The debate I was thinking of was,
is this responsible, ethical, acceptable?

I did a quick search and could of regged shlne.com and shlpping.com,
I'm sure there are 000s more out there, but do you guys think this is cool
or not to buy and sell these misleading names,
if indeed that is what they are.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do not think it is unethical. It is the responsibility of the buyer to check. Seller has listed it this way to give it different impression. I have seen in forums, people jumping out their seats with IDN names, only to realize shortly that they are not English names.

•••
yes that IDN thing may catch out a few beginners on ebay I suspect.
Anyhow, hope this helps fellow newbs to remember to keep an eye on the letters.

I wonder if buying some of these up on the premise of selling to
the owner of the real .com as a typo catcher for redirects?
For example selling shlne.com to owner of shine.com.
(job search website)

Last edited:
•••
If you've been following the market at all, $480 for a random letter LLLL com today is nothing so outstanding. Expiring names of that lot are seeing prices over $2000 at auction when the heat is on. There's no rhyme or reason that I can think of aside from speculation.

Last edited:
•••
CH followed by Limited Partnership dot com not going to be bought for pennies. Plus there still some chance of typo of chip. Shortness is the key here. If it was even one character longer there would begin to be grumbling, two longer then starts the "if its not brandable who cares".

•••
Plus there still some chance of typo of chip.
I don't see the value of typos in general. I have a typo of GOLD (yes, 4 letters and .com) and it earns squat. But of course, if someone else were to own it, it'd be making $xxxx daily.

•••
Some people will pay up for a typo if they like the positioning of the keyboard and they believe it wasn't owned by a domain 'wise guy' in the past. Plus not all people wanting traffic are domainers looking for click money.

Auctions need bidders to go up and not all bidders have the same reasons for bidding which is the main point.

•••
Years ago I was close to buying Indianapolis.com but realized it was Lndianapolis.com

be careful

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back