Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rubber Duck

Account Closed
Impact
OK! Lets debate this issue.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2177679&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

ABC quoting Bill Gates:

<<<The new Vista operating system will have speech and visual recognition tools and be backed by strong security measures, he said. It would move away from reliance on easy-to-crack passwords to greater reliance on visual identification and software shields on Internet attacks.

He said the new Office would include the biggest set of innovations in more than a decade, citing its ability to work on documents simultaneously over the Internet.

The biggest market for these products soon will be China, Gates said. He said China was already the world's No. 1 mobile phone market and he expected it to be the world's top PC, broadband and software market within a few years.

"Everybody needs to be in China," he said. "Even if only 20 percent of the population is IT-active," he said, this is a huge number given the country's 1.3 billion population.>>>

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
edit

Last edited:
•••
Truce declared with VV.

Last edited:
•••
Rubber Duck and I have reached a peace between us.

Nothing to see here.

:)

Last edited:
•••
I've got a question , Besides Microsoft and a few other large Corporations .... Who is buying Chinese based ads ? I'm assuming the majority of these IDN Domains are being parked for speculation - Correct ?

With China being FAR from a free market - I just don't see enough interest to sustain a large amount of PPC in the long run yet. Getting large amounts of traffic is fine - But monetizing with ads about things other than Internet service etc ... will be hard IMO.

What type ads are being shown currently in the Natural language of the domains you guys have ?

•••
Mark said:
I've got a question , Besides Microsoft and a few other large Corporations .... Who is buying Chinese based ads ? I'm assuming the majority of these IDN Domains are being parked for speculation - Correct ?

With China being FAR from a free market - I just don't see enough interest to sustain a large amount of PPC in the long run yet. Getting large amounts of traffic is fine - But monetizing with ads about things other than Internet service etc ... will be hard IMO.

What type ads are being shown currently in the Natural language of the domains you guys have ?
Alot of people do hold Chinese idns but as I have been working with Japanese domains I can tell you that there are many Japanese native ads out there.

Type a few popular commercial japanese words into google.co.jp and you'll see thousands of advertisers. Note how the adwords are in japanese.

•••
Google actually has a large amount of non-English ads.

As Jeff stated Japanese ads are very well developed, Chinese ads are not far behind. The problem with China is The Great Firewall. Currently both Sedo and Namedrive servers are blocked in China. But there is another Chinese centric parking service that operates from within China that offers a decent alternative.

I've seen a good number of ads for major keywords in Korean, Hebrew, French, German, Swedish, among others.

Other languages that have some ads are Arabic, Russian, and Farsi.

I have been very impressed with the progress that Namedrive has made with regards to IDNs. They have native language landing pages in over a dozen languages. Native ads are increasing as well. All this with still roughly 1-5% of internet users able to access IDNs.

•••
Yeah - I've seen ads for most all languages .... But chinese ads - I just don't see being a huge market ATM. The standards for most any language is ISP's trying to get business .... and any time I go to chinese sites , The ads are few and far between (What I do see is in english of course most times - due to my browser settings / location).

Microsoft and others in the computing , software , and hardware Industries will of course be there as well .... but that doesn't seem to me to be something to count on for the long run. China has no free market - So I'd suggest anyone not planning on Building an actual Chinese site be very careful in this particular sector. Too many unknowns and risks IMO ;)

•••
Mark said:
Yeah - I've seen ads for most all languages .... But chinese ads - I just don't see being a huge market ATM. The standards for most any language is ISP's trying to get business .... and any time I go to chinese sites , The ads are few and far between (What I do see is in english of course most times - due to my browser settings / location).

Microsoft and others in the computing , software , and hardware Industries will of course be there as well .... but that doesn't seem to me to be something to count on for the long run. China has no free market - So I'd suggest anyone not planning on Building an actual Chinese site be very careful in this particular sector. Too many unknowns and risks IMO ;)
People in the U.S. used to give pennies for "foreign traffic"...

Look how quickly other markets grew. A few years ago we could have probably said the same thing about adwords in Japan. There weren't as many japanese ads back then. Today look how hot adwords is in Japan...The PPC is amazing. I heard that Google is opening offices in other countries to keep up with demand. It may take time but once China is up to speed on internet advertising there many advertisers will be racing to advertise to potential customers.

Last edited:
•••
Mark said:

Well that is funny, because there is Chinese PPC service that primarily deals with Chinese traffic. English version is at Dopa.com. The other service is called Silver Clicks bu the interface is wholly in Chinese.

I now only buy Chinese domains with a full page of Adwords, but of course I won't actually see all of them, because many are Geotargeted.

•••
•••
Here are what I believe to be some legit stats:

The China Internet Network Information Center reported that there were 123M Internet users in China as of June 2006. New York's eMarketer say this figure is expected to grow to 200M by 2007, which would make China the largest Internet market in the world by the end of next year.

Hope this helps

S

•••
I don't doubt China's online advertising industry. I earn $$ by my Chinese sites with Chinese google adsense. I didn't see a lot less keywords than English ads on my English sites.
Besides, check any top alexa ranking Chinese sites, you will see a lot of variation of Chinese ads on the sites. I would say we have no less online advertisemnet than in US.
TOM.com ads,
Webmaster Chain,
Baidu ads,
Just name a few.
One more to add, economically speaking, China is already a free market, it is more capitalist than US. In China, anything can help the state development will have got the priority. The concept in some of your guys' mind that China is still a "evil communist state" is too outdated. No offense but it is sad true.

Last edited:
•••
I agree with Duskdawn, China today is not a closed market. It is far more developed than many people realize. With that said, it is far from a mature society like the US. For example, did you know that if you slip some money to your telcom technician, he could increase your bandwidth without the ISP knowing?

•••
It seems to me that the majority of IDN buyers are westerners. I say this only because most forums such as these are filled with people asking what such and such a term means. Native speakers seem to be in the minority of domain resellers.

Last edited:
•••
wrong there are a bunch of natives living in China, Japan, Israel, and Russia on our forums buying and selling their names as well. Have you ever thought of the possibility of someone in Russia asking for a translation of something in Japanese? So asking for a translation now makes you a westerner? Nice study you have there.......

•••
DNWizardX9 said:
wrong there are a bunch of natives living in China, Japan, Israel, and Russia on our forums buying and selling their names as well. Have you ever thought of the possibility of someone in Russia asking for a translation of something in Japanese? So asking for a translation now makes you a westerner? Nice study you have there.......

Yes but I feel that the majority are westerners. That is what I perceive :) . At the very least most IDN domain resellers are non-native speakers. I am curious though about what you mean by a study? :)

•••
Most of the big portfolio holders are westerners (but have the native toungue) or live in their native country. These people speak more than one language fluently.

GIANT - China
touchring - China (maybe japan)
bigtm - china
Edwin - Japan
Olney - Japan

etc etc

•••
Mark said:

search market in China by CNNIC 2006.9
baidu(native) 62.1%
google 25.3%
yahoo <8%

•••
VV said:
Nope jeffm2. I'm not failing to grasp anything.

It's just that the "billion people" thing has been exploited and exaggerated, when in fact only a very small percentage of those people are on the Internet.

That was my point.

A couple people have decided to twist it into something else.

So be it. You guys need to SERIOUSLY lighten up.

Hmm, yes, the buying power has been exaggerated as income is still very low in terms of the dollar, at least as for now, but 10 years in the future?

We must not underestimate the progress China can make in just 10 years. :o

This was Shanghai, Xujiahui district, 20 years ago - mid 1980s. North korea looks better today, ironically.

shanghai-xujiahui-old.days.jpg

This is Shanghai 2003, same district. Today it will look different again.

shanghai-xujiahui-romatic.jpg

Photos frmo http://home.wangjianshuo.com

Last edited:
•••
abdussamad said:
It seems to me that the majority of IDN buyers are westerners. I say this only because most forums such as these are filled with people asking what such and such a term means. Native speakers seem to be in the minority of domain resellers.

Take some time to look through the "whois" of idns and you will see that nationals have majority of ownership for IDNs in most languages, Korean in particular.

•••
Western Australia has changed dramatically in the past 5 years due to the fact that China is our biggest exporter of our mining material. Don't underestimate the Chinese community and the influence they have in the domain market. Just because it may look quiet on this forum to some doesn't mean that they aren't active. The language and cultural barriers cause some difficulties in people understanding what they are doing.

Although most of my domain sales are to US customers, I have had some very good business from the non-US customers. I wouldn't be suprised if I end up getting more business from China that the US. I always pay attention to comments made by users like duskdawn as there is insight into cross-culture trading that many of us don't have.

If people want to be able to have good business opportunities with Chinese people, than there needs to be more listening and learning and less judging. There are culture barriers that need to be broken and traditional western business is often too impatient for results.

•••
VURG said:
There are culture barriers that need to be broken and traditional western business is often too impatient for results.
On the other hand, and this is another way of putting it, those in China are a bit too laid back, and certainly not aggressive or go-getting enough, when compared to us here in the West.

•••
NP41215 said:
On the other hand, and this is another way of putting it, those in China are a bit too laid back, and certainly not aggressive or go-getting enough, when compared to us here in the West.

Aggressive as in Iraq war?

•••
touchring said:
Aggressive as in Iraq war?

Honestly I am grinning from ear to ear. Good post :)

•••
NP41215 said:
... those in China are a bit too laid back, and certainly not aggressive or go-getting enough, ...

I have no idea how you interpreted this from what I said. Please don't twist my words. I said more listening and learning and less judging.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back