Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rubber Duck

Account Closed
Impact
OK! Lets debate this issue.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2177679&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

ABC quoting Bill Gates:

<<<The new Vista operating system will have speech and visual recognition tools and be backed by strong security measures, he said. It would move away from reliance on easy-to-crack passwords to greater reliance on visual identification and software shields on Internet attacks.

He said the new Office would include the biggest set of innovations in more than a decade, citing its ability to work on documents simultaneously over the Internet.

The biggest market for these products soon will be China, Gates said. He said China was already the world's No. 1 mobile phone market and he expected it to be the world's top PC, broadband and software market within a few years.

"Everybody needs to be in China," he said. "Even if only 20 percent of the population is IT-active," he said, this is a huge number given the country's 1.3 billion population.>>>

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
What are we debating, exactly?

The population of China?

That Bill Gates and Microsoft will market their products there?

•••
VV said:
What are we debating, exactly?

The population of China?

That Bill Gates and Microsoft will market their products there?
It doesn't take a high school diploma to understand what is going on here. If you can't put together simple facts you shouldn't be in school.... period.

It is saying that people should open up business in China as there are lots of business opportunities there. Even with 10% of the population it is still a great sum of people to do business with.

•••
JeffM2 said:
It doesn't take a high school diploma to understand what is going on here. If you can't put together simple facts you shouldn't be in school.... period.
That's a very strange comment, because if a person has trouble putting together simple facts, I would think it would be ALL THE MORE REASON for them to be in school.

Anyhoo.... let's put aside your failed attempt at an insult.

The first line of this thread says "Lets debate this issue." Then it gives some quotes from Bill Gates about China. So I simply asked what exactly are we debating. Because I've never seen anybody deny that China has over a billion people. And I've never seen anybody deny that Microsoft markets some products there.

There was no mention of domains, whether ascii or idn.

So... again I ask, what are we debating, exactly?

•••
Truce declared with VV.

Last edited:
•••
Gates vs VV

Gates Winner By TKO

Instant Replay of Gates Haymaker :
BILL GATES said:
The biggest market for these products soon will be China, Gates said. He said China was already the world's No. 1 mobile phone market and he expected it to be the world's top PC, broadband and software market within a few years.

"Everybody needs to be in China," he said. "Even if only 20 percent of the population is IT-active," he said, this is a huge number given the country's 1.3 billion population.>>>

"Instant Replay of VV's ear Biting"
VV said:
I keep reading this but a fact that often gets overlooked by the people saying it, is that most of those people are not even ON the Internet. So it really doesn't matter whether you have a magic talking keyboard that speaks all languages and glows in the dark, if the people aren't online

Last edited:
•••
Rubber Duck said:
Well actually you did hit a nerve on another thread with this statement.
Judging from your rude comments, insults and condescending tone towards others in that thread, I think it's safe to say that MANY people hit MANY of your nerves.

It would seem that everything is fine so long as we agree with your opinions and dreams, but as soon as anyone brings a different opinion to the table, you become hostile, and suddenly we are all "arrogant ignorant ascii" domainers.

Sheesh!

Oh and thegenius1 -- You are not even worth the trouble of laughter. Good luck to you.

•••
Grrilla said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my best guess is that you have been the target of attacks that are based upon misinformation or based, solely, upon opinions that have no substantive basis, at all. Tou have experienced "hit and run" attacks- ie posters who make an assertion and, than, never show up again to answer your response. Or posters who dislike IDN domains (who you, agree, do have the right to their own opinion) but, who, for some inexplicable reason, (perhaps, general spite or antagonistic tendencies?) find it necessary to, chronically, post negative statements about your enterprise which, in essence, is a reflection of your beliefs. To add insult to injury, they come into your house to dump and, than, don't even have the good manners or discretion to use the WC?

If this is the situation, (or something similar), than I empathise with you and understand the basis for the flavor of much of the rhetoric I've seen tossed around here. If there is alot of undue B/S coming your way, (B/S, as opposed to, heated discussions and disgreements over issues) than I think I, for one, will be more alert to any undue cr~p that get's laid on you and will make it a point to be less judgemental about the attitudes that may have developed as a result of the aforementioned indiscretions of others..

This is what his is talking about

•••
Truce declared with VV.

Last edited:
•••
You two make a great team.

VV said:
It would seem that everything is fine so long as we agree with your opinions and dreams, but as soon as anyone brings a different opinion to the table, you become hostile, and suddenly we are all "arrogant ignorant ascii" domainers.

End of story.

•••
VV said:
You two make a great team.

End of story.

Again you put your foot in your own mouth ( sorry for being blunt ) Opinion to the Table ... We Present Facts thanks for the compliment

Its the exact oposite you want us to agree or respect your opinion when you arent willing to Agree with the Facts , or read them for that matter

Last edited:
•••
VV you fail to realize that you and adopotabledomains only bring opinions to the board while we are stating what is really going on.

We already know idn.idn is happening etc. All it takes is keeping up to date with IDN news. You are presenting stuff without doing any research.

Many of your basic assumptions would have been proven wrong by yourself if you had just read 1-2 basic articles on IDNs.

•••
First off, to the thegenius1,

The way you talk, and get so fired up and excited reminds me of my 12 year old cousin when he talks about why his favorite professional wrestler "owns" the other guys. I'm not sure we can communicate on the same level. No offense, just being "blunt".

Anyhoo...

What I said, that was quoted, is fact. 100% FACT.

It is a fact that the majority of China's population is NOT on the Internet.

Sure, 5 years from now that will change, but so will a lot of other things. And that stuff can be debated intelligently, but not if the IDN folks are going to be so defensive, and just downright mean.

•••
VV said:

The way you talk, and get so fired up and excited reminds me of my 12 year old cousin when he talks about why his favorite professional wrestler "owns" the other guys. I'm not sure we can communicate on the same level. No offense, just being "blunt".

Anyhoo...

It is a fact that the majority of China's population is NOT on the Internet. This FACT can't be disputed.

Sure, 5 years from now that will change, but so will a lot of other things.
You are failing to grasp that 10% of 1.2 billion is 120 million.

This is growing astronomically every year.

•••
VV said:

Anyhoo...

It is a fact that the majority of China's population is NOT on the Internet.

Sure, 5 years from now that will change, but so will a lot of other things. And that stuff can be debated intelligently, but not if the IDN folks are going to be so defensive, and just downright mean.

Not only is he failing to grasp 10% of 1.2 billion is 120 million , he is also failing to realize that China is the #2 country with people Online and correct we cant communicate on the same level because his failure to except facts wich will result in a Opinion contest , and frankly im not up for it , State Facts or keep stating opinions that dont hold any weight but personal attacks arent going to make you look any better

•••
Nope jeffm2. I'm not failing to grasp anything.

It's just that the "billion people" thing has been exploited and exaggerated, when in fact only a very small percentage of those people are on the Internet.

That was my point.

A couple people have decided to twist it into something else.

So be it. You guys need to SERIOUSLY lighten up.

•••
VV said:
Nope jeffm2. I'm not failing to grasp anything.

It's just that the "billion people" thing has been exploited and exaggerated, when in fact only a very small percentage of those people are on the Internet.

That was my point.

A couple people have decided to twist it into something else.

So be it. You guys need to SERIOUSLY lighten up.

Your point remains unsubstantiated with either facts or respected third party opinion.

Game, Set and Match to Gates.

•••
Rubber Duck said:
Your point remains unsubstantiated with either facts or respected third party opinion.
Excuse me? That is an outright lie.

Now you are claiming that it's not a fact, that most of China's population is not on the web?

With that post you just lost all credibility in my eyes.

Not to mention, with remarks like the following....

Game, Set and Match to Gates.

You are getting caught up in the same childish comments as the thegenius1.

Good work.

•••
"Most" is a very vague concept.

True, most of the population of China is not on the internet.

Also true, most of the Engish speaking population (in the world) is not on the internet.

•••
Truce declared with VV.

Last edited:
•••
Rubber Duck, as I said.... you lied about the fact I presented, and tried to distort my point, so I have little respect for your opinions now, and you have lost all credibility in my eyes. I have no desire to discuss anything with you further.

I was making a simple point about how the "billion people" thing has been overplayed, and you tried to twist it into something else. I was not talking about the "software market" or "this & that", and you know it. Now you are just trying to cover yourself because you know you got carried away.

You are not alone. A couple of you guys have such a desperate need to convince the world about your IDN names, that it has clouded your judgment and you are no longer calm rational thinking people. So many threads in this section, I've witnessed it over and over again. You are seeing evil where there is none. You are overlooking the positive and constructive comments people (including myself) make about the possible future of IDN, and dissecting the negative ones until you distort them beyond comprehension.

You are attacking people just because they are playing devil's advocate, or trying to bring a much needed dose of healthy skepticism into the scene.

Enough of this madness.

Have a good day.

Last edited:
•••
Truce declared with VV.

Last edited:
•••
edit

Last edited:
•••
Truce declared with VV.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back